Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6547|San Diego, CA, USA
Now that the newly Democratic Congress is in power, why not just set the Minimum Wage to $10/hour?
d4rkst4r
biggie smalls
+72|6452|Ontario, Canada
its not that simple, wheres this magically money coming from???

you dont just wake up one day and sign a little form and everyone in america who works minimum wages gets that, are you in like elementary school?
"you know life is what we make it, and a chance is like a picture, it'd be nice if you just take it"
Wojo97civic
+5|6450
I WOULD BE VERY HAPPY, im sick of this 6.50 an hour working at school shit
smtt686
this is the best we can do?
+95|6630|USA
gimme gimme gimme, im entitled to it.  by the way, bad idea
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe each state's ballot measure that raised the minimum wage, passed.

The question I pose, why not just set it at $10/hour?  Wouldn't that make all the advocates happy?
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6596|Seattle

It'd be nice but you'd see A LOT more jobs going to China and being replaced by robots. Small businesses would slowly die.

Just go to college.

Last edited by King_County_Downy (2006-11-08 15:49:00)

Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War
+303|6477|Communist Republic of CA, USA
Everytime Minimum wage goes up, so do prices.  Your not gaining anything.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6467
$10 is a bit much. I think it ought to be like $8.
dubbs
+105|6631|Lexington, KY
If the wages were set to $10 per hour, it will have a very large impact on our economy.  The prices for every thing will go up.  McDonald's could not offer you a hamburger for $0.99, Walmart would have to raise it's prices, because it could not make enough to pay everyone $10/hour.  Those getting paid more the $10/hour would feel the effect more.  Their pay would basically say at the same rate, just because minimum wage was raised, does not mean that everyone's wages will be raised.  Someone making $15/per hour right now, would have to pay the extra that companies will charge to stay a float.  This will widen the gap between the middle and upper class.

Last edited by dubbs (2006-11-08 15:50:36)

FesterTheMolester
BF2s US Server Admin, IRC>Forums
+157|6639|The Mind Of A Cereal Killer
YAY

inflation FTW
Mr.Casual
p-n*|3eergogglz
+136|6508|Minnesota eh

doctastrangelove1964 wrote:

$10 is a bit much. I think it ought to be like $8.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6619|Mhz

UK minimum wage converts to $10.18, so its perfectly fair specially as your economy is much bigger.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

I think it's about that in the UK.

£5.35/hour = $10.19

The UK economy isn't slowly dying. In fact it's been performing rather well, for rather a long time.
doc. josh
+48|6544
In canada is 7$ but in my city its 8$
HURLEY
Ima Crunchatize you.
+170|6682|The Lou
Dumb topic.

who agrees?
chittydog
less busy
+586|6834|Kubra, Damn it!

Harmor, you should go talk to ATG or CameronPoe about how to effectively argue a difference of opinion rather than just making ignorant comments. They usually come across as reasonable. You generally sound crass and naive.

If you present your views with facts to back them up, you may change people to your opinion. If you just keep spouting pointless nonsense, people get defensive and we get even more of this bipartisan bullshit we've been blessed with. Our enemies are overseas, not across the aisle. Stop making this worse.

Back on topic. Yes, $5.15/h is not livable, but minimum wage never will be (and probably shouldn't be). Go ahead and give it a reasonable increase for 10 years of inflation, but this should absolutely be handled on a state level. Minimum wage in California and Arkansas don't need to be the same.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

King_County_Downy wrote:

It'd be nice but you'd see A LOT more jobs going to China and being replaced by robots. Small businesses would slowly die.

Just go to college.
I recall this discussion in 1994 when the same issue was brought up with the change in congress.  Some scholars said that if the minimum wage was set to $7/hour in 1994 that companies would rely on robots more than low-skilled workers (i.e. an automated McDonalds).

I wonder what that level is today?  In some portions of central California the minimum wage is $10/hour. 

In the City of Los Angeles the city has to pay $10.33/hour to workers without health benifits.

Source: Scraping By: Minimum Wage Across America
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

A noble idea.  At the very minimum there should be a standard living wage for each region that would be adjusted for inflation once a year to replace the federal minimum wage.  $10/hr might be able to get you by in a small town, but that about pays for rent where I live.

Federal minimum wage= $5.15/hr.

$5.15 x 40hrs/week = $206/week (pretax)

$206 x 52wks/yr = $10712 (pretax)

The 2006 Federal Poverty Guideline (according to the DHHS) for a one person household = $9800
chittydog
less busy
+586|6834|Kubra, Damn it!

Harmor, sorry man. You redeemed yourself later in the post.
JG1567JG
+110|6587|United States of America

Harmor wrote:

Now that the newly Democratic Congress is in power, why not just set the Minimum Wage to $10/hour?
One answer.  INFLATION
dubbs
+105|6631|Lexington, KY

Bertster7 wrote:

£5.35/hour = $10.19

The UK economy isn't slowly dying. In fact it's been performing rather well, for rather a long time.
That may be true, but you did not get to $10.19 an hour over night.  The UK had to slowly get to that level.  You can not go from $5.15 to $10 over night and not expect the economy to take an impact.  There are some cities or states that will not be effected by the change that much, but the over all economy will be effected since about most of the cities/states have a minimum wage well under the $10 per hour mark.  Most of them are in between $5.15 to $7.25  According to the link, only one city has a minimum wage higher then $10 per hour, and that would be LA.  This is also a city where the cost of living is one of the higher places in the US.
rawls2
Mr. Bigglesworth
+89|6559

Harmor wrote:

King_County_Downy wrote:

Just go to college.
I recall this discussion in 1994 when the same issue was brought up with the change in congress.  Some scholars said that if the minimum wage was set to $7/hour in 1994 that companies would rely on robots more than low-skilled workers (i.e. an automated McDonalds).

I wonder what that level is today?  In some portions of central California the minimum wage is $10/hour. 

In the City of Los Angeles the city has to pay $10.33/hour to workers without health benifits.

Source: Scraping By: Minimum Wage Across America
Add the benefits and that rate would drop to something comparable to the minimum rate.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

chittydog wrote:

Harmor, sorry man. You redeemed yourself later in the post.
I don't know how long you've been reading my posts, but often I will present the argument or phrase a question opposite of what I think is the correct form of action.  In doing so it brings those who disagree with my original assertion out of the woodwork and thus we can then debat the issue furthermore now that I got their attention.

If you really want my honest opionion on this issue, I agree with http://www.capitalistpig.com/, there should not be any minimum wage.  If I want to work for $4/hour then I have the right to do so.  I used to work for $2.80/hour when the minimum wage was $4.25/hour.  I chose this because if I didn't I wouldn't have had a job, and thus working for $0.00.  And what's great about that I soon after increased my wage to $7.25 a year later because I became skilled.  Would I be making $7.25/hour if I never had first worked for $2.80/hour?  Probably not.

The problem with the above is government doesn't believe people will pull themselves up and thus artifically puts a minimum wage, which unfortunatley actually reduces employment.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6554
Because that's a gigantic violation of basic laws of economics and principles of supply and demand and hence doomed to failure perhaps? Unless of course you fancy an extra 20m Mexicans in your country willing to work for less...

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-11-08 16:15:24)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

dubbs wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

£5.35/hour = $10.19

That may be true, but you did not get to $10.19 an hour over night.  The UK had to slowly get to that level.  You can not go from $5.15 to $10 over night and not expect the economy to take an impact.  There are some cities or states that will not be effected by the change that much, but the over all economy will be effected since about most of the cities/states have a minimum wage well under the $10 per hour mark.  Most of them are in between $5.15 to $7.25  According to the link, only one city has a minimum wage higher then $10 per hour, and that would be LA.  This is also a city where the cost of living is one of the higher places in the US.
Not that long. 1999 was when the UK started having any minimum wage. The economy didn't falter when a minimum wage was introduced or when they have been increased.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard