Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6578
Except that the three nations were already linked, such that they were considered one area by the French.  The domino theory held that all of Asia would fall, and Australia would be f*cked, as the last western capitalist stronghold in Asia.

btw, I did know the meaning of Khmer Rouge, but that doesn't mean they were Communist.
whittsend
PV1 Joe Snuffy
+78|6774|MA, USA
The domino theory is not that specific.  It is merely a rhetorical device used by Kennedy and Johnson to describe the tendency of 'Communism' to spread from a 'Communist' state to its neighbors.  It was not an inflexible prediction along the lines of the dialectic, or, "The stars say X."

No state has ever, successfully, been Communist, nor will any ever be.  Regardless, the intent of the Khmer Rouge, as that of the Bolshevics, Maoists, Pathet Lao, Sandinistas etc. etc., was to implement a Communist state.  This intent was what the Domino Theory was concerned with, not their success at the task.
Ghandi767
+17|6638|Hanging in the Balance
Alright. Lets go through this initial question, conflict by conflict

World War One- Lusitania threw us physically into a war we were already fighting economically

World War Two- We defended ourselves. After declaring war on Japan because of Pearl Harbor, Germany then declared war on us, not us on Germany

Korea- Under the surrender of Japan in WW2, and the stop of Domino Theory, we had to intervene or else East Asia wwould be Communist, including Japan

Vietnam- Started by aiding French, carried on

Cold War- started after WW2

Grenada- Didnt want another communist island country so close to U.S. Soil, and Cuban troops were aiding the overthrow. On top of that US needed to evac US citizens or else it would have been Iran Hostages II- Carribean Crisis

Panama- Noriega was a cruel cruel person. Deserved it

Desert Storm- UN Sanctioned, protected Kuwait and Saudi Arabia from Annexhation, also protected Israel.

Bosnia- Stopped Genocide

Somalia- Stopped Ethnic Cleansing/Genocide

Afghanistan- Rooted out the terrorists who initiated the war in a similar way to Pearl harbor in 9/11.

Iraq- Carry on from Desert Storm, the war never stopped (Op. Desert Fox, OSW, ONW)
OpsChief
+101|6692|Southern California
Original Idea: "U.S. has been the greatest military aggressors of the last century" by Horseman 77

We have established ad nauseum this is assertion not correct, not a historically accurate nor a fairly balanced statement but was it what the author was really asking?  What say you Horseman?
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6853
Did you read my starting Post ?

Someone said this to me in a post. a Direct quote below.

Don't hassle me over spelling and such, I cut and paste his Direct quote to keep it honest and keep that "angry 3rd world flavor

" the U.S. have been the greatest military aggressors of the last century, going for the title again this century"

So I cut and pasted his quote. Becuase I wanted to know ...

how many people have this opinion. ??  in the U.S.A. - Else where ?

Lately it seems to me if They have a good air defense we talk and bargain if they don't we bomb.

I don't pretend to know the Answers but it seems the Children of the people our Grandfathers, fathers and uncles  fought and sacrificed for just hate us anyway.

I think if we stayed out of World War Two life in the states wouldn't have been that much different for U.S. citizens and we wouldn't be fighting this war now.

How many American men would fight WWII Again?.  WWI? Korea? Nam?

Would you try to stop the Holocaust if it happened again or Send your sons and Daughters ?
OpsChief
+101|6692|Southern California
yes exactly, so did we cover it all?
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6566|Southeastern USA
I would easily volunteer to go to another war, though at the ripe old age of 29 I may be getting too old, and while my basic beliefs that cause me to say this also prevent me "sending" my sons and daughters, I would like to think that being raised in my likeness they would be racing each other to the recruitment office. Of course the only way any of us could actually send family members to war is if we were directly involved in the government's decision to go to war, and our progeny were in the armed forces. In which case I couldn't not go to war to save humanity just because I may lose a child who had volunteer to defend those that are defenseless. If they signed up they know it's a possibility, as by our past actions this is what America does.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!

Darth_Fleder wrote:

SlartyBartFast wrote:

Interesting opinion j-bass.  I would actually argue that reason all of Europe is not speaking German is largely due to the British, French & Russian forces and the reason Australia (and the rest of the Asia-Pacific rim) is not speaking Japanese is largely due to the US.
Slarty, please expound on how it is exactly that the French helped to beat the Nazi's in more than just a token way.
I beleive that Hitler's grand plan for dealing with the french defenses (The Marginot Line [sp?]) was an ingenious strategy he may have called "Ignoring the French Defenses"

"Going to war without the French is like going hunting without your accordion"  - Gen Norman Schwarzkopf

I know not all frogs are catamites, but really how much whining and backstabbing do they expect the rest of their "friends" to put up with.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6578
Oh, yes, it wasn't like the French organised a massive resistance movement or anything.  Oh, no, they just sat there, twiddling their thumbs.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
Pretty much.............

Ok they did communicate some intelligence, but someone else had to get the work done for them, not much to be done with a panzer division if all you got are farm tools.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6371

Ssandstorm wrote:

we all know now that america will never win the war in iraq, and that another vietnam style withdrawal is inevitable

they should never have gone in the first place and now their soldiers are paying the price for the governments lies
LOL !
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5977|Places 'n such
holy necrobump.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6753|Oxferd Ohire
you bumped a 4 year old topic for that?
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
jord
+2,382|6694|The North, beyond the wall.
Even if it were a funny post from a member that hasn't left years ago it wouldn't really be worth a bump...
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6371

jord wrote:

Even if it were a funny post from a member that hasn't left years ago it wouldn't really be worth a bump...
hind sight is now 20 / 20
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6427|'Murka

I think we can now close this, eh?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard