Sgt_Sieg
"Bow Chicka Bow Wow." The correct way.
+89|6776

ATG wrote:

this is almost thread worthy;

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, … 25,00.html
Psh, totally copy of the guy in Vietnam.
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6651

Sgt_Sieg wrote:

ATG wrote:

this is almost thread worthy;

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, … 25,00.html
Psh, totally copy of the guy in Vietnam.
guy(s)
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6660|BC, Canada

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Nicholas Langdon wrote:

if that is what you think, then that is what you think....
Not think, know. Your post was poorly formatted, in broken English, and, most importantly, it did not address any argument made in this thread, much less the thread's topic.
i was a bit  busy finishing up that post, now im off to play the game that this site is created for.
stkhoplite
Banned
+564|6481|Sheffield-England
and the english..... don't forget the english! yeah we were right in the mist of WW2 and America came and helped us so it was a joint effort right?
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6651
https://www.manorhouse.clara.net/book2/grey.jpgmy great great uncle who declared war on Germany WWWI for britain

Last edited by ..teddy..jimmy (2006-11-05 13:28:22)

Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6521|Adelaide, South Australia

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

if the OP didn't only aim the remembrance at American soldiers that were killed, then this wouldn't have been such a flame war.

many people need to realize that this is a multi-racial forum, and any post about one particular country/race/religion will be met with flames from all directions.

if ATG had maybe posted one graveyard pic for/from each Allied country then i doubt this would have happened.

America isn't the only country to remember people lost in wars on the 11th of November.

LEST WE FORGET any who were lost. from any country.

TBH, i blame the Serbians who started WWI.
Fen321
+54|6499|Singularity

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Fen321 wrote:

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Very few countries have lost so many for a cause other than their own. America fights for humanity no matter what people say.
So why did America support the Contras in Nicaragua? Contras given money and arms that were flown in illegally  from Honduras....then those weapons were used to kill thousands of civilians. Now that doesn't fit that mold now does it.
In 1990 George Bush lifted the trade embargo on Nicaragua and gave $300 million in aid. He proposed another $200 million the next year, $150 million of which they received. Wow, we are real assholes, huh?
Lifting the embargo came after the contras ravished the country so it makes no difference.

Just take a look at the ICJ cases and the denunciation by the U.N. and tell me again we are such nice guys.

Essentially that country has no right to defend itself, but ironic how our stance towards Israel is the exact opposite. We perceive their encroachment into Lebanon as a right of state to defend itself. God forbid we apply this logic to other countries such as Nicaragua. Giving aid does not eliminate the fact that WE the U.S. founded terrorist organizations in Nicaragua.
SilentscoutIX
BF2s US Server Admin
+91|6389|Vancouver, BC, Canada
I truly beleive that soldiers who have died, no matter what country they were from or what their government was fighting for, should be given respect because they had the guts to go out and fight for whatever it was whether they agreed with it or not. Also bashing of other peoples countries is pointless, we all contributed what we could, some could afford to give more than others but everyone still contributed.
Also all nations soldiers deserve respect for what they have done in wars past and present. That being said the insurgents are not in my mind considered soldiers, they are people who have been brainwashed into commiting attrocities that they would probably never have done normally.

Last edited by SilentscoutIX (2006-11-05 13:56:09)

ATG
Banned
+5,233|6531|Global Command

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

http://www.manorhouse.clara.net/book2/grey.jpgmy great great uncle who declared war on Germany WWWI for britain
Whats his name?

I'm reading " The Guns of August" right now, about the start of ww1.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)

ATG wrote:

It was Canada that kept the 3rd reich from steamrolling over the world?
Canada played their part. And before the US, iirc. As did, for example, Britain and France.

WWII was not won by the Americans, no matter how many games and films suggest that it was.

America helped yes. But they did not win it.

And you know what, this attitude really offends me, as a European and the grandson of two of the people that fought in WWII.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6660|BC, Canada

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

ATG wrote:

And you know what, this attitude really offends me, as a  grandson of two of the people that fought in WWII.
as am i
Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6693|Calgary

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

ATG wrote:

Canada played their part. And before the US, iirc. As did, for example, Britain and France.

WWII was not won by the Americans, no matter how many games and films suggest that it was.

And you know what, this attitude really offends me, as a European and the grandson of two of the people that fought in WWII.
Allies won the war. The single largest member, after 1944, was the US, plain and simple.

US forced the Japanese to surrender.

Remember, America was fighting two wars, one in Europe and one in Japan.

I am Canadain, proud of our forces, but don't belittle the American contribution to WW II.

Also, my family, mine and my wife's, are all from Europe, and they love the Americans, hell, I'm sure my mother in law has a secret shrine built to honor  General Patton.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)
I'm not belittling the part the Americans played.

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

klassekock wrote:

fadedsteve wrote:

klassekock wrote:

Interesting point there fadedsteve.
But I wonder if the people in Vietnam for example would agree with you?
Please explain?
I think we both can agree on the fact that USA didn't win the Vietnam war thus the winner must be the country of víetnam. But after having lots of casualities, trees without leaves, mines and other shit killing people after the war and the economy and the country in ruins, the vietnamese people most likely dinn't think they "won" much.

Just a thought......
I must side with faded here. He didn't mean Vietnam, he meant Iraq. He already pointed out that vietnam was a total fiasco.

In any case his point is 'we don't want to do it, but if we have to WE'RE GOING TO DO IT RIGHT'.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6392

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

USA only joined WWWII because of Pearl Harbour..
Quite.  World War W. II
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6531|Global Command
https://i13.tinypic.com/2h5odg5.jpg

Notice the patches on his arm.
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6651

ATG wrote:

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

http://www.manorhouse.clara.net/book2/grey.jpgmy great great uncle who declared war on Germany WWWI for britain
Whats his name?

Sorry i went to bed. His name was Sir Edward Grey
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Without reading anything other than the original post, I can tell you that in the 8 pages of replies that CameronPoe as well as every other non-US citizen is saying something anti-US or anti-Bush. I can also tell you that these same people are ranting against US involvement in Vietnam and Iraq. And, I'm willing to put my money on CameronPoe or some other foreigner bringing an anti-Israel rant into the discussion.

It's the same people saying the same things in every thread and it's becoming quite tiresome. I rarely read any of your posts anymore, because I don't have to. For example, if I see a giant blob of text from CameronPoe in a thread about Israel or Iraq, I already know what he's ranting about. I could quote that blob of text and make a logical reply to it without even reading what he wrote. Yet this still happens in EVERY thread.

The point of this thread is simple, but not surprisingly most of you still missed it. Many Americans made the ultimate sacrifice for their country and they should be respected. It doesn't matter whether or not you agree with the war they fought in, it does not change the fact that they died serving their country. Quite frankly, most of us owe our existence to those soldiers in the ground.
Don't generalize please. 'as well as every other non-US citizen'? I suppose I count as a US citizen then.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6651

ATG wrote:

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Whats his name?

He was longest serving foreign minister of Britain. I think 1904-1914
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563

Superslim wrote:

Allies won the war. The single largest member, after 1944, was the US, plain and simple.
USSR was larger geographically, lost more troops, and, IIRC, had more troops.
BVC
+325|6697

ATG wrote:

When I masterbate, its to a pix of the statue of liberty.
LOL +1!

edit: Hmmm, can't karma twice in 24 hours

Last edited by Pubic (2006-11-05 22:56:42)

-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6660|BC, Canada

ATG wrote:

http://i13.tinypic.com/2h5odg5.jpg

Notice the patches on his arm.
exactly why every thread seems to become a flame america thread.
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6648

Spark wrote:

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Without reading anything other than the original post, I can tell you that in the 8 pages of replies that CameronPoe as well as every other non-US citizen is saying something anti-US or anti-Bush. I can also tell you that these same people are ranting against US involvement in Vietnam and Iraq. And, I'm willing to put my money on CameronPoe or some other foreigner bringing an anti-Israel rant into the discussion.

It's the same people saying the same things in every thread and it's becoming quite tiresome. I rarely read any of your posts anymore, because I don't have to. For example, if I see a giant blob of text from CameronPoe in a thread about Israel or Iraq, I already know what he's ranting about. I could quote that blob of text and make a logical reply to it without even reading what he wrote. Yet this still happens in EVERY thread.

The point of this thread is simple, but not surprisingly most of you still missed it. Many Americans made the ultimate sacrifice for their country and they should be respected. It doesn't matter whether or not you agree with the war they fought in, it does not change the fact that they died serving their country. Quite frankly, most of us owe our existence to those soldiers in the ground.
Don't generalize please. 'as well as every other non-US citizen'? I suppose I count as a US citizen then.
Spark
    Humans + Nature = Fail
    Stats - XFire

Last edited by Fancy_Pollux (2006-11-06 00:57:13)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

USA only joined WWII because of Pearl Harbour..
No, they joined for 2 reasons

Pearl harbour and German U-boats preying on American cargo ships sending supplies to Britain.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

LOL.

a) I haven't said anything about Israel thus far in this thread.
b) I gave 'kudos' to the American war effort in WWII in my post.
c) 'The point of this thread is simple, but not surprisingly most of you still missed it.' - The point of this thread is simple and yet you missed it: ATG tried to not  so subtly mention the Iraq war in the same breath as WWII, which is an insult to those that fought WWII. If I were a WWII vet and someone was trying to associate defeating the most evil tyrant this planet has ever seen (Hitler) with being the aggressor in a war of 'regime change' in a country that posed little or no threat to the US then I would feel very insulted. The work and sacrifice all US soldiers do and make is beyond doubt. The not so subtle association of the causes of WWII and Iraq is flawed and disrespectful.
This thread was never about the soldiers - it was about trying to associate the two wars as if they were comparable - otherwise ATG would have posted pictures of the graves of Panamanian US war dead, Grenada US war dead, US civil war dead, Korean US war dead, Vietnam US war dead, etc. etc. Were they not worthy of a mention????
d) I am NOT anti-US, I am anti-BUSH. I know the US can be a better country through better government.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard