Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6667|NT, like Mick Dundee

ATG wrote:

Japan would not surrender.
Propaganda.

Japan attempted to surrender. Something to do with the Japanese Admiralty being held on one of McAurthurs ships and unable to get the Emperor to sign any peace treaty because McAurthur wouldn't let them contact him.

I'll find sources ASAP. Or get my Dad to dig them up...
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6531|Global Command
RIP THA

Ya, go ahead.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

ATG wrote:

RIP THA

Ya, go ahead.
Just a warning they might be links to rare memoirs and that sort of thing on Amazon...

Dad always was a firm believer in primary source material...
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563
It's well known among the historical community that Japan wanted to surrender, the only debate is whether they attempted to contact the US.  They certainly discussed their plans with Russia.
ATG
Banned
But, can you bring back THA?
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563
What happened to THA?
ATG
Banned
He quit, got busy, retreated to Kimmies, who crashed and burned and generally blew us off. Why. Who's asking?

Last edited by ATG (2007-06-07 22:03:31)

Flecco
iPod is broken.

ATG wrote:

But, can you bring back THA?
Give me a name, date of birth and $3000 AU to finance a trip to the Canberra region; his last reported location and I'll find him...

Haha. Nah, I can't.

Just gotta convince TMo to be more of an arsehole. Or McMinty... Haha.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563

ATG wrote:

He quit, got busy, retreated to Kimmies, who crashed and burned and generally blew us off. Why. Who's asking?
I thought THA was Aussie and Kimmie was American?
Ratzinger
+43|6394|Wollongong, NSW, Australia

ATG wrote:

Nicholas Langdon wrote:

ATG wrote:

He's refering to Americans dying in far off places, all those countries you list owe their existance to those men under the grass in the photos.
dying is dying, wherever it is.
and no the world does not owe its exestance to the united states
Okay, i suppose canada would have stop Japan from Raping and butchering all of asia?
I suppose it was Canadian trucks/tanks and planes that saved Russias ass ( ever here of lend/lease ?) ?
It was Canada that kept the 3rd reich from steamrolling over the world?

I have a special dose of love for Canada and all things Canada, don't get me wrong.
Don't flame me, a very minor point from a self-confessed pedant - Japan attacks China in 1934 - America joins war AFTER Pearl Harbour in 1941.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563
How is that a minor point?
XanKrieger
iLurk
+60|6660|South West England
With the exception of Iwo, I believe British forces have also died on all those fronts and all over the world in previous conflicts for our freedoms as well, granted more Americans may have died, yet they are not the only ones.
However I could debate this topic all day long, yet I wont, i'l simply say, Americans arent the only ones
imortal
+240|6667|Austin, TX

XanKrieger wrote:

With the exception of Iwo, I believe British forces have also died on all those fronts and all over the world in previous conflicts for our freedoms as well, granted more Americans may have died, yet they are not the only ones.
However I could debate this topic all day long, yet I wont, i'l simply say, Americans arent the only ones
...and if the british have a public day of rememberence for fallen soldiers, tell us and we will honor them as well.  The entire point of this post was to bring some awareness to what Memorial Day is really about here in the US.  Props to ATG for posting those initial pictures.

By honoring our soldiers, we are not ignoring the efforts of others around the world.  After all, we honor the fallen of both sides of the American Civil War. 

If you are from a nation other than the United States, and you have a national day of mourning for your fallen soldiers, post the day here; I will honor them, even if no one else will.

*** EDIT: From Douglass MacArthur's Farewell speech at West Point, 12 May 1962 (excerpt)

"These great national problems are not for your professional participation or military solution. Your guidepost stands out like a tenfold beacon in the night: Duty, Honor, Country.

You are the leaven which binds together the entire fabric of our national system of defense. From your ranks come the great captains who hold the Nation's destiny in their hands the moment the war tocsin sounds.

The long gray line has never failed us. Were you to do so, a million ghosts in olive drab, in brown khaki, in blue and gray, would rise from their white crosses, thundering those magic words: Duty, Honor, Country.

This does not mean that you are warmongers. On the contrary, the soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. But always in our ears ring the ominous words of Plato, that wisest of all philosophers: "Only the dead have seen the end of war."

Last edited by imortal (2007-06-09 10:48:24)

ATG
Banned

XanKrieger wrote:

Ya ya ya.

I could continue pointing out that that is not what I said. yet I wont, I'll simply say see ya later, I'm going climbing.

Should this thread be put out of its misery?
Panikfrost
+9|6536

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Inspect@hDeck wrote:

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Most nations believe they are the best. You pegged it with the whole patriotism concept. Why is it other nations always target the U.S. when it comes to telling us how "not good" we are. Got nation envy?
No, it's only because you guys are the most arrogant people.
We are arrogant? Look up at your last post. You went ahead and claimed you knew the problem with "typical Americans. Told us we are to Patriotic and then proceeded to call our entire country assholes. The guy who started this thread started it as a remembrance to our fallen and brave. Veterans day is around the corner and Americans (like other nations) remember them with honor. Oh wait, cant do that cuz its patriotic and that makes us assholes. Fuck you, you beady eyed Canadien bitch. Now see, that was arrogant.
But what you cease to realize is that the person who started this thread put it in the DST forums so he was looking for someone to reply with their own 2 cents
Shem
sɥǝɯ
+152|6529|London (At Heart)

imortal wrote:

XanKrieger wrote:

...and if the british have a public day of rememberence for fallen soldiers, tell us and we will honor them as well.  The entire point of this post was to bring some awareness to what Memorial Day is really about here in the US.  Props to ATG for posting those initial pictures.

By honoring our soldiers, we are not ignoring the efforts of others around the world.  After all, we honor the fallen of both sides of the American Civil War. 

If you are from a nation other than the United States, and you have a national day of mourning for your fallen soldiers, post the day here; I will honor them, even if no one else will.

*** EDIT: From Douglass MacArthur's Farewell speech at West Point, 12 May 1962 (excerpt)

"These great national problems are not for your professional participation or military solution. Your guidepost stands out like a tenfold beacon in the night: Duty, Honor, Country.

You are the leaven which binds together the entire fabric of our national system of defense. From your ranks come the great captains who hold the Nation's destiny in their hands the moment the war tocsin sounds.

The long gray line has never failed us. Were you to do so, a million ghosts in olive drab, in brown khaki, in blue and gray, would rise from their white crosses, thundering those magic words: Duty, Honor, Country.

This does not mean that you are warmongers. On the contrary, the soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. But always in our ears ring the ominous words of Plato, that wisest of all philosophers: "Only the dead have seen the end of war."
We commemorate all fallen soldier on 11/11

Well second sunday or november

Oh and by the way, we commemorate every fallen soldier and civilians death in war time, not just englands.

Last edited by Shem (2007-06-09 11:43:47)

imortal
+240|6667|Austin, TX

Shem wrote:

imortal wrote:

XanKrieger wrote:

We commemorate all fallen soldier on 11/11

Well second sunday or november

Oh and by the way, we commemorate every fallen soldier and civilians death in war time, not just englands.
11/11 makes sense, Armistace Day and all of that.  Or Arbor Day.  Or Veterans Day, depending on how far back your memory goes.  Good to know, and I will remember.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563

ATG wrote:

Should this thread be put out of its misery?
I dunno.  It's kinda fun seeing it pop up every couple of months.
beerface702
+65|6695|las vegas
in regards to the orignal post ATG

god bless their souls, and every other soldier who has bled for there country.

war is hell

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard