PekkaA
+36|6666|Finland

Kmarion wrote:

Don't sweat them dude they have the poor little beaten red-headed step child syndrome.
Eh?
What's your syndrome called? Everytime I get to this forum, it's full of threads like this? What makes grown (?) man rant about old wars month after month?

After all, it wasn't one of us "step childs" who once again started this bs thread.

What you're trying to compensate with this ATG?
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563

Nicholas Langdon wrote:

its still defending others bubbalo....
But there are levels of helping others.  Take Australia, for example.  We often fight "other people's wars".  Yet we do it for our gain.
Gillenator
Evils Bammed Sex Machine
+129|6396|Evilsville
This tread is truly a disgrace to all the people who died in WW1, WW2, or any other war.
This tread should be about hounoring all those men and women who died fighting for our freedom.
Instead it became a tread where everyone is bashing everyone and we are totally forgetting all those people who have sacrified their lives.
So what if one country did more than the other? It's the point that counts.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563
It's the point that counts, eh?
Gillenator
Evils Bammed Sex Machine
+129|6396|Evilsville
You know what I mean.

Last edited by Gillenator (2006-11-08 03:51:54)

cospengle
+140|6488|Armidale, NSW, Australia

Ender2309 wrote:

you're an idiot. this wasn't a "pity us yay america thread!!!!" it was a thread to remember fallen US soldiers, because ATG is american, and over here veterans day is on friday, asshole. go make a thread for fallen british soldiers. i'm willing to bet my left nut that it wouldn't have recieved half the negative attention this thread did.
In Australia, we remember the fallen on the 11th of the 11th at 1100 (that's this Saturday). I think it's very important, but most people here don't seem to know what Armistice Day (AKA Remembrance Day) is anymore. Just goes to show where our priorities are. But you can't spent all of life thinking about death - that would defeat the purpose of all those poor bastards getting the shit shot out of them.

ANZAC Day (25th April) is more of a celebration than a day of mourning. I think it does everyone good to go and celebrate the gift those men and women have given us. ANZAC Day is especially inspiring because it highlights that two countries (Australia and New Zealand in this case) can stand shoulder to shoulder under one banner to the bitter end - brothers in blood (except on the rugby pitch).

I think it needs to be said that servicemen and women should earn respect based on their service - courage and sacrifice, and their government should bear the wrath of criticism and the responsibility for the death and destruction.

Ender2309 wrote:

everybody out in the world loves to bash america, when really its our government you hate.
You may as well have said: "Everyone says they hate me, but it's really just my personality they don't like." They're hating your American-ness (because of your democratically elected government's policies) not you personally. I know that's probably no consolation, but the German's still cop shit for what the Nazi's did all those years ago, so... you know... deal with it.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6660|BC, Canada

Bubbalo wrote:

Nicholas Langdon wrote:

its still defending others bubbalo....
But there are levels of helping others.  Take Australia, for example.  We often fight "other people's wars".  Yet we do it for our gain.
Everyone accept the attackee is in a war for their own gain, our gain would be that we help them, they help us, and vice versa....
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Assume, for a moment of alternate history, that the US was never a superpower. Who would be 'in charge' now, and what would the world be like?

I am not implying anything by the question; I am just asking for thoughts.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-11-08 04:18:57)

cospengle
We'd have another tyrannous superpower trying to inflict it's values on the rest of us.... history repeats.....

Edit: Also, there will always be a tribe/nation/empire that is seen as the dominant force in a given region (whole world now since 'globalisation') and of course everyone else (represented by their elders/government/monarch) will suck up to them diplomatically, or face destruction. But the people of those 'lesser' nations will privately poo-poo the superpower because they resent having to suck arse. That's just the way it works; no point debating it. *awaits debate*

Last edited by cospengle (2006-11-08 04:38:52)

SpaceApollyon
Scratch where it itches
+41|6521|Finland

Nicholas Langdon wrote:

SpaceApollyon wrote:

PS. Russia is not the same as USSR
yes i realize this, the person who responded to me didnt so i put it into terms they understand, dont try to be superior by stating this. and yes regardless of the fact that they had a non agression pact, they did far more for the war effort than the US did, so dont play them down simply because they had their own agenda at the beginning of the war. every country has their own agenda, such as the states selling war supplies to the british untill their money ran out. why join a war when you can make money off of it.
I just like to call things with their real names, no offense intended.

If you were attacked by an enemy 20+ times bigger than you and miraculously managed to fend them off,
but still had to incarcerate your leaders, pay huge war reparations and give them strategic land areas of your country, would you say:

'Its all good and OK, because I understand you were just pursuing your own agenda, and dont anybody dare to play you down for it'.

That would have to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard!!!

If USSR is a knight in shiny armor for you? Fine.
But dont think for a second, that I will take part in your delusion or that I would agree to give them as much credit as the soldiers and people of the USA, UK or my own.
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6494|Connecticut

Fen321 wrote:

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Fen321 wrote:

So why did America support the Contras in Nicaragua? Contras given money and arms that were flown in illegally  from Honduras....then those weapons were used to kill thousands of civilians. Now that doesn't fit that mold now does it.
In 1990 George Bush lifted the trade embargo on Nicaragua and gave $300 million in aid. He proposed another $200 million the next year, $150 million of which they received. Wow, we are real assholes, huh?
Lifting the embargo came after the contras ravished the country so it makes no difference.

Just take a look at the ICJ cases and the denunciation by the U.N. and tell me again we are such nice guys.

Essentially that country has no right to defend itself, but ironic how our stance towards Israel is the exact opposite. We perceive their encroachment into Lebanon as a right of state to defend itself. God forbid we apply this logic to other countries such as Nicaragua. Giving aid does not eliminate the fact that WE the U.S. founded terrorist organizations in Nicaragua.
What is the Nicaraguan govt doing? Well? What the fuck are they doing to better themselves? Dont always look to us for aid because when we try to help nations get mad at us for that too.
Malloy must go
deeznutz1245
+483|6494|Connecticut

Tas3674 wrote:

Y do people OWE the current Americans??? most of the people who did help us are dead now, we owe you people nothing, and don't forget that other nations fought as well and won battles, not just the Americans.
Trust me they are not dead. They all live in Miami and the ones who dont can be found in a Cadillac doing 28 mph in a 45mph zone.
Malloy must go
deeznutz1245
+483|6494|Connecticut

JahManRed wrote:

This thread has becoming typical of what the D&ST forum has become. Personal attacks a plenty, closed mindedness and rail roading. OK there are obviously two sides here who are prity hardcore in their views. When you get passionate about something, stop, think and remember that they are passionate in their views also. When you rant people generally switch off and don't read your posts. When you post a well thought out post the more discerning poster tips their hat to the point, even if they don't necessarily agree with it and formulate their own argument.
What I am seeing ATM is people ignoring points and switching straight to personal attacks instead of taking the time to type a post which address the points and makes an argument. DEBATE. Instead its abuse and people trying to bolster their own self esteem by pointing out typo's as if it makes someone stupid because they see this as a forum were they air their views and don't read through meticulously using a Theseus and a dictionary to Analise every word, while at the same time totally ignoring the point making themselves look stupid.
This forum has become a place for some people to try and make themselves look much more intelligent and well informed than they are. How many time have I seen posts were the point is totally ignored, instead a personal ego enhancing attack if dished out. I admit I am starting to do the same out of frustration!!
I used to enjoy the jousting with the regulars, Ok we don't see eye to eye, but their was the tongue and cheek and the odd tip of the hat. Now you get jumped on for spelling and have your entire post history analyzed by board college kids dragging up previously long dead posts. SAD.
FUCK YOU NEEDLE DICK........just kidding, lol. .....+1 for your good point.
Malloy must go
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563
cospengle: Remembrance Day is a European holiday, and a vestige of our ties to Britain.  ANZAC Day is the Australia version, which is why it is more widely recognised.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6691|Tampa Bay Florida
ATG, personally I think you comparing World War 2 to the War in Iraq disgusting.  But, that's just me.  Yes, Americans shed blood.  But so have other humans from all sorts of nationalities throughout history, whether for better or for worse. 

If I personally knew you, I'd definitely bet you a substantial amount of money that Iraq will be viewed as a mistake and that Bush will be viewed as one of the worst Presidents in this nations history.

Besides, if you are indeed correct, ATG, I wouldn't bother trying to tell people otherwise.  Shut up for the moment, then, if or when we're proven wrong, then you should start talking about it.

Last edited by Spearhead (2006-11-08 17:14:40)

R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6488|Melbourne

*Hand to Heart, Nations Alike* - Lest We Forget.

Last edited by R3v4n (2006-11-08 17:21:37)

~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6531|Global Command

Spearhead wrote:

ATG, personally I think you comparing World War 2 to the War in Iraq disgusting.  But, that's just me.  Yes, Americans shed blood.  But so have other humans from all sorts of nationalities throughout history, whether for better or for worse. 

If I personally knew you, I'd definitely bet you a substantial amount of money that Iraq will be viewed as a mistake and that Bush will be viewed as one of the worst Presidents in this nations history.

Besides, if you are indeed correct, ATG, I wouldn't bother trying to tell people otherwise.  Shut up for the moment, then, if or when we're proven wrong, then you should start talking about it.
Truman left office with a 25% percent approval rating, and yet history has judged him not so harshly.
Americans are dying in Iraq, selflessly, just as they did in Normandy.
so why don't you;

https://i13.tinypic.com/4ifwqs8.gif

cospengle

Bubbalo wrote:

cospengle: Remembrance Day is a European holiday, and a vestige of our ties to Britain.  ANZAC Day is the Australia version, which is why it is more widely recognised.
There you go. I didn't know it was a holiday in Europe. I guess as our ties to Britain have lessened, people have taken less notice of Remembrance Day. Do you know if schools still stop for it? I noticed last year (or the year before, I can't remember) when I was in town and at 11 o'clock hardly anyone stopped to remember. I was very disappointed. My grand father was British, and I was brought up with it, I just thought that it was observed nation-wide. Apparently I was wrong.

I could be wrong about this too, but as I understand it Rememberence/Armistice Day marks the aniversary of the end of the war in Europe. Since Australians fought there too I would think that it would still apply here. But as you say, we have ANZAC Day.
R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6488|Melbourne

ATG wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Truman left office with a 25% percent approval rating, and yet history has judged him not so harshly.
so why don't you;

http://i13.tinypic.com/4ifwqs8.gif

Are we not forgetting the cause of this thread?  ATG, you created this thread to rember the American people that have fallen through out wars, there are a lot of other people that want to pay respects to there fallen countrymen to.  Lets stop the bickering and pay out respect to the people that gave there life for us so we could live here today.
Nations alike we pay our respect as one:
Lest. We. Forget.

Last edited by R3v4n (2006-11-08 19:09:51)

~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
Reciprocity
+721|6582|the dank(super) side of Oregon

ATG wrote:

so why don't you;
sorry sweetie, Truman wasn't the President on June 6, 1944.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6531|Global Command
The point is...( fuck this is getting tiresome)...that a fair judgement about Iraq cannot be made while its happening.
JaggedPanther
+61|6475

ATG wrote:

Nicholas Langdon wrote:

ATG wrote:

He's refering to Americans dying in far off places, all those countries you list owe their existance to those men under the grass in the photos.
dying is dying, wherever it is.
and no the world does not owe its exestance to the united states
Okay, i suppose canada would have stop Japan from Raping and butchering all of asia?
I suppose it was Canadian trucks/tanks and planes that saved Russias ass ( ever here of lend/lease ?) ?
It was Canada that kept the 3rd reich from steamrolling over the world?

I have a special dose of love for Canada and all things Canada, don't get me wrong.
U.S. didn't save russia's ass, the lend/lease was a drop in the bucket.

Throughout 1941-1945 russia had an average of 8.5 of the entire wehrmacht attacking them. The rest of the 1.5 were in western or southern europe.

The most western allies saw was about 1/10 and that was only in the summer of 44 to 45. So about 6 months.  Kursk already happened (not even mentioning Stalingrad) by the time the normanly invasion which didn't even see 4% of the german army.

If russia fell, the normandy invasion and looking down the entire german army would not have bode well.

The important thing the western allies did with the invasion overall was stop the Soviet Union from taking all of Germany, and that was pretty important in itself.  Because even before Kursk the SU had tens of thousands of new tanks and hardware rolling westward.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6551|Southeastern USA
the point being made is that no where in history have so many soldiers volunteered their lives to protect citizens of other nations, we could have focused solely on japan, or even just made sure they never again crossed the pacific, but instead we cleared them out of the pacific basin altogether as well as confronting hitler and mussolini, neither of which were a threat to us. sure alot of russians died, and that's to be respected, but there's a slight difference between dying protecting your own borders and dying protecting your neighbor's.
JaggedPanther
+61|6475
It's more like getting an army and controlling your neighbors economically. You exploit the resources then make it look good by donating a fraction of it back.

US didn't want a world controlled by right wing fanatics back in the good old days.

Last edited by JaggedPanther (2006-11-08 20:40:48)

link52787
+29|6523
I don't think ATG meant that the Americans are the only one that need attention and their ultimate sacrifice should only be recognized. 

I feel for ALL SOLDIERS Around the World who have died in domestic and world conflicts. 

Put all the politics behind and remember who gave their lives for your country.  U.S., Canada, Russia, in Europe or in Asia. 

I am grateful to have my freedom and I do not forget that our soldiers protect it.  I am sure that you are grateful for what your military has done for your country.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard