Earl_SwaggerJr.
+2|6397|Louisiana
Some of you may have seen some of the massive news coverage that this 'dark' documentary portrays. Just wanted to get some feedback on what yall thought of this.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=2592841&page=1

Discuss
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6702|San Francisco
I've yet to see it, even though it was filmed here!  As soon as I have the time, I'm going to check it out.

Personally, I don't agree with the suicide barrier.  If someone is going to commit suicide, taking away one way to do it is not the answer, as they'll just go about finding another way to go about it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

I've heard about it, but haven't seen any massive news coverage. I think about it the same way as I'd think about anyone who tapes any kind of suicide and sells it to a market. You could call it a documentary, but is it really appropriate?
PspRpg-7
-
+961|6706

Marconius wrote:

I've yet to see it, even though it was filmed here!  As soon as I have the time, I'm going to check it out.

Personally, I don't agree with the suicide barrier.  If someone is going to commit suicide, taking away one way to do it is not the answer, as they'll just go about finding another way to go about it.
I agree with Polonius. They'll find ways around it.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6700
Rice-a-Roni! The San Fransisco treat!
Brasso
+1,549|6638

PspRpg-7 wrote:

Marconius wrote:

I agree with Polonius. They'll find ways around it.
Lol, Polonius.  I pretty much agree too.  They might just end up jumping of a building and hurting other people.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6508|Los Angeles
Thanks for posting that link. Interesting clip. The most interesting part for me was at the end where they read some excerpts from viewer emails. People whose relatives had committed suicide wrote in to say that the existence of the movie gave them some comfort.

I think it's an interesting idea. Personally I have no problem with the honest portrayal of human life, regardless of the relative degree of morbidity. I haven't really heard of this movie before, but I'm sure there will be (and already is) a wave of protest against it. This protest seems really misguided: here we have a movie that seems to provide some solace to relatives of suicide victims, by a director who seems interested in opening up a national dialogue on something "unspeakable". Yet there will be people who feel that this movie is more damaging to viewers than bloodbath action flicks or psychotic horror movies.

Anyway it definitely sounds thought-provoking. I'd be interested to check it out on DVD. Whether or not the movie is good or not remains to be seen. It's got a relatively low rating on metacritic right now but it seems skewed due to the zero out of 100 score given by the Chicago Reader reviewer, who it doesn't seem even watched the movie.
Reciprocity
+721|6588|the dank(super) side of Oregon
this sounds fairly morbid, but having walked across the Golden Gate Bridge many times I can completely understand why it is such a popular spot.  It is incredibly beautiful.  whether the sun is shinning or it completely foggy, it is an amazing piece of engineering.  The bay, the ocean, the city, the smell,  I can understand why people would choose to commit suicide by jumping off a work of art.
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6727|Las Vegas
I find it interesting how the creation of a documentary concerning death can attract so many negative opinions, yet the news media generates millions of dollars on a daily basis from it's ritual portrayal of death and destruction. 

Apparently it's only offensive when not delivered from a state of the art "news center" by appropriately saddened (but soon to be smiling) faces...
CommieChipmunk
+488|6578|Portland, OR, USA

Reciprocity wrote:

this sounds fairly morbid, but having walked across the Golden Gate Bridge many times I can completely understand why it is such a popular spot.  It is incredibly beautiful.  whether the sun is shinning or it completely foggy, it is an amazing piece of engineering.  The bay, the ocean, the city, the smell,  I can understand why people would choose to commit suicide by jumping off a work of art.
lol thats horrible... and really says something about our society
Reciprocity

CommieChipmunk wrote:

I know it sound horrible, but you have to see the bridge and stand on it to truely appreciate its elegant beauty.  just try not to jump off.
IRONCHEF
+385|6499|Northern California
I remember a few several years ago trying to take some out of state friends on a walk on the GGbridge and the walk was closed because a small child slipped through and fell to it's death.  A poor Indian family had been siteseeing and about 200 yards from the north end, their little 18 month old child slipped and fell between the walkway, and a barrier spot that makes a curb for the roadway.  It was sooo horrible to hear about this, and even worse since they hadn't even been over the water yet and the child was on the ground below at sea level.  There's now a cable in that space between the walkway and the curb to the roadway.

As for putting up a baracade, I'm against it.  It will still get circumvented just as easily, and more importantly, it will ruin the view and structure it self.  And with this film, I will hold judgement until i've seen the film..I have no idea if it was tastefully done or not.  After all, the jumpers from the WTC towers were filmed and portrayed tastefully. 

If I'm not mistaken, having seen other news spots on this topic, one of the reasons to build a barrier on the bridge is because of the heavy cost to the city and coast guard to shut down the water lane so they can do a search and rescue.  It actually gets very expensive...especially if they have to stop an inbound barge from entering port.
IRONCHEF

Reciprocity wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

I know it sound horrible, but you have to see the bridge and stand on it to truely appreciate its elegant beauty.  just try not to jump off.
What's really cool, and freezing cold to do, is to go out on a real foggy evening...and listen for the big boats as they sound their fog horns to communicate their positions.  it's like wales talking to each other when there's more than one..and the little boats do it too, and tugs.

The marin headlands are likewise as cool to romp around on because they have old military batteries up there and along the coast there are bunkers for some guns they used to have including one of those ducking guns right up on point bonita.  Very bitchen..especially for a bunch of young people to play hide and seek at night.
SFCCDailey
Banned
+106|6723|USA
The good part is that the area around there bridge is habitat for a large population of Great White sharks. So by them jumping off and committing suicide they are in turn feeding the sharks. Way to support the local wildlife ass hats. I love these conservationists. LOL
Nohurrie32
+3|6681
Hello...... the point is that there are several thousands of people walking among us who are in dire need of help, the barrier is just a side bar to the greater shame in the way we ( I mean the USA) have treated the mental diseases. Kinda like Michael J. Fox, the real issue is that we really don't like to see sick people. As sickness, wether mental or other happens to other people not me and if ur sick ur somehow less of a human being?????? At any rate WAKE UP AMERICA, HELP THE HELPLESS. HOME THE HOMELESS
SFCCDailey
Banned
+106|6723|USA
Has anyone every took a realistic look at the issue. The US is over populated in the first place. So if a few people want to jump off the GG Bridge and make the Gene pool a little safer for the rest of us to swim in then who cares. Send a thank you card!
IRONCHEF

SFCCDailey wrote:

The good part is that the area around there bridge is habitat for a large population of Great White sharks. So by them jumping off and committing suicide they are in turn feeding the sharks. Way to support the local wildlife ass hats. I love these conservationists. LOL
Actually, it's not very wise because those white sharks who do eat the dead humans will rely on that experience when negotiating the next meal as they find young surfers paddling out.  Great Whites in the Bay.
jarhedch
+12|6678|Aberdeen, Uk, SF Bay Area 1st
The funniest and most ironic thing I have seen about the GG Bridge is the fact that when you walk from the SF side towards Marin, every 50 yards or so there's a suicide hotline phone hanging on a pole that you can call and talk to someone to tell you not to jump. About half way across, they simply stop. I know it isn't what they were thinking, but it kinda makes you wonder if they installed them, ran out of funding and figured that if they made it taht far without calling the damn hotline, they are gonna go ahead and do it anyways. Made my friend from LA laugh when he saw it.
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6663|United States of America
Now where will the gays go to commit suicide?
IRONCHEF

jarhedch wrote:

The funniest and most ironic thing I have seen about the GG Bridge is the fact that when you walk from the SF side towards Marin, every 50 yards or so there's a suicide hotline phone hanging on a pole that you can call and talk to someone to tell you not to jump. About half way across, they simply stop. I know it isn't what they were thinking, but it kinda makes you wonder if they installed them, ran out of funding and figured that if they made it taht far without calling the damn hotline, they are gonna go ahead and do it anyways. Made my friend from LA laugh when he saw it.
Are they suicide hotline phones or highway emergency phones like we have all over the place?
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6698|Tampa Bay Florida

Major_Spittle wrote:

Now where will the gays go to commit suicide?
I hope you know you not only disrespected each and every American who's died by jumping from the bridge, you also disrespected each and every American who lives in the great city of San Francisco.  I doubt you've even been there.

It's because of people like you others are suicidal, and I can't blame them.  It feels guilty and shameful to live in the same country as you.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

God damn, who wants to have a terrifying death.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
jarhedch
+12|6678|Aberdeen, Uk, SF Bay Area 1st

IRONCHEF wrote:

jarhedch wrote:

Are they suicide hotline phones or highway emergency phones like we have all over the place?
They are actually suicide hotlines, i think my friend from LA has a picture of one, lemme know if you wanna see it and I'll see if i can have him dig it out.
Shadow893
lel
+75|6700|England

jarhedch wrote:

IRONCHEF wrote:

jarhedch wrote:

They are actually suicide hotlines, i think my friend from LA has a picture of one, lemme know if you wanna see it and I'll see if i can have him dig it out.
PWNT!!!!!!!!!!!
Reciprocity

Kmarion wrote:

God damn, who wants to have a terrifying death.
terrifying only if you're terrified.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard