reefl3x
+72|6424|United States
Settings wise.
It's very dissapointing to me that even with x800xl, 1GB RAM, AMD 64 3000+...I can drop as low as 30FPS during combat. And its not like im playing 64 man servers, its normally 32 man karkand or oman.

But what I find odd is I can turn all my settings to max, join an empty server and average 90FPS....why is it that combat is such a massive FPS killer.

I have tryed so many combinations of settings, im literally changing them everyday.

I run all medium 2x AA 1024x768 normally, and my FPS can hit 25 in the heaviest of combat...even all low is no different.
DeCon_1
+16|6543|Atlanta, Georga U.S.A.
You can add another gig of ram and fix some of the speed problems. Over clocking you processor wouldn't be a bad idea if you had the cooling to do it.
silo1180
The Farewell Tour
+79|6445|San Antonio, TX
What kills me is the wait time... wait to boot the game... wait to verify the account... wait to connect to the account... find a decent server... wait to start the d/l... wait for the d/l... heaven forbid you should let it start loading a map because now you have to wait while it unloads resources.  I know, I know... there's a lot of graphics, and it has to load all the stats for everyone on the map, but it would be nice if they could cut down on the load time up-front.  Or if they could figure out a way for the map to stay loaded on your PC, just d/l upgrades or stats (like it was with Unreal Gold).  Sometimes I just want to get in there and shoot someone, I don't want to wait.
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6600|Florida

silo1180 wrote:

What kills me is the wait time... wait to boot the game... wait to verify the account... wait to connect to the account... find a decent server... wait to start the d/l... wait for the d/l... heaven forbid you should let it start loading a map because now you have to wait while it unloads resources.  I know, I know... there's a lot of graphics, and it has to load all the stats for everyone on the map, but it would be nice if they could cut down on the load time up-front.  Or if they could figure out a way for the map to stay loaded on your PC, just d/l upgrades or stats (like it was with Unreal Gold).  Sometimes I just want to get in there and shoot someone, I don't want to wait.
You got it fucking right man
reefl3x
+72|6424|United States
i cant figure out what the problem is.
My other games run perfectly, just Bf2 seems to give me a headache. I cant figure out if its a heat issue, lack of RAM, lack of CPU power. I have owned Bf2 since july of 2005 and not once have I had a day with half decent performance.

My max CPU temp while idle is 118 degrees F. Is that very high for idle?
Im running stock HSF and 2 80mm case fans.

Last edited by reefl3x (2006-10-30 18:28:42)

DeCon_1
118 degrees idle!!!! WOW you got some problems there.
reefl3x
+72|6424|United States

DeCon_1 wrote:

Really? Whats a good temp on average?
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6593|USA

reefl3x wrote:

DeCon_1 wrote:

Really? Whats a good temp on average?
no expert but i think it should be something like 70ish...?
DeCon_1
Normal would be around 100 or so. 118 is a lot.

Last edited by DeCon_1 (2006-10-30 18:32:40)

reefl3x
+72|6424|United States
But could it be causing my FPS issue in BF2?
My other games run fine though.

Last edited by reefl3x (2006-10-30 18:36:32)

DeCon_1
Well the 1Gb of RAM could be causing you problems. BF2 is a big memory hog.
reefl3x
+72|6424|United States
I just checked my BIOS, and my idle CPU temp was 108 degrees F. I most likely saw 118 during summer time.
DeCon_1
108 Degrees F = 42 Degrees C. So if you could try to keep it under 40 degrees C then you'll be alright. But also I would recommend that you get another gig or ram. 2Gb or ram would give you a great boost in speed.
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6694
Yea that idle is very high, under load your pushing over 130 I bet.

You load times is your RAM, pick up another gig and your fine.

Go into your video card settings and shut off V sinc, AA and T&L.  Don't keep it on application control, just shut them down and that will help a ton.

First and foremost, you need to get those temps down.

Make sure your airflow is good, at least (Minimum) one intake, one exhaust. 

Another intake on the side blowing on the cpu/gpu helps a lot and an exhaust on the top to expel the hot air that rises.

I am guessing your using stock CPU cooler.  Pick up a zalman.  I am using water cooling.  However the best air cooled CPU cooler was a zalman copper hands down, plus the 120mm fan is very very quite compared to stock or the thermaltake series.
splixx
ChupaCABRA
+53|6761|Omaha, Nebraska

DeCon_1 wrote:

You can add another gig of ram and fix some of the speed problems. Over clocking you processor wouldn't be a bad idea if you had the cooling to do it.
Another gig of ram would help. Same sort of system a friend has had all sorts of issues until another gig was added and fixed the problems.

Last edited by splixx (2006-10-30 19:23:08)

I dropped another gb is my system a few months back.. huge improvement especially in loading up the game.. as well as keeping fps pretty constant...

get the ram bro, get the ram.
reefl3x
+72|6424|United States
I just overclocked my CPU.
1.8Ghz > 2.1GHz... And i'm getting about 10-15FPS more in BF2. Overclocks are stable. No artifacting or weird happenings.
Settings-
Terrain- High
Effects- High
Geometry- High
Textures- High
Lighting- Medium
Dyn Shadows- OFF
Dyn Lighting- OFF
Texture Filtering Medium
AA- 4x
1024x768 @ 72hz
I joined a 32 man EA US Official server running Sharqi peninsula and played 2 rounds.
Average FPS was very good. My lowest was in the mid 40's, and average was in the 60's. It hovered in the 60's 80% of the time I was playing, and hit mid 40's when everyone in the server was on the screen. And Sharqi is the 2nd most system intense map besides Mashtuur. So i'm quite pleased.

I'm very pleased with the results of overclocking. I'm going to stick with 32 man servers until I get a new CPU and another gig of RAM. My CPU seems to handle the temps fine, its just a matter of my CPU simply not being fast enough to handle BF2 on larger servers or extremely intense combat.

I could reduce textures to medium, but man do I hate not having them high, but with my overclocks, high textures are fine on 32 man servers.

Last edited by reefl3x (2006-10-30 21:18:21)

montypythizzle
+21|6625
ok here is the deal ok average air cooled cpu is 35-50c anything over that is a little hot and has to be overclocked....
u convert that into F for your own n00b temps
I cant get my settings anywhere near yours (reefl3x) and I have a few up on you regarding my rig.... 

*3.2GHz P4 HT
*Gigabyte8IPE1000
*NVIDIA GeForce 6200 BFG OC
*2 GB Dual Channel(4x512mb)
*SATA 250GB Seagate HD

I do OC my chip to around 3.5.. but I cant get my settings that high... I think I'm just picky when it comes to gameplay.. Id rather it be smooth like butta.. than have everything look nice.. but you would think I could at least run 2x AA...??
']['error
Banned
+630|6666|The Netherlands

THEBUNGALOWJUNKIEKID wrote:

I cant get my settings anywhere near yours (reefl3x) and I have a few up on you regarding my rig.... 

*3.2GHz P4 HT
*Gigabyte8IPE1000
*NVIDIA GeForce 6200 BFG OC
*2 GB Dual Channel(4x512mb)
*SATA 250GB Seagate HD

I do OC my chip to around 3.5.. but I cant get my settings that high... I think I'm just picky when it comes to gameplay.. Id rather it be smooth like butta.. than have everything look nice.. but you would think I could at least run 2x AA...??
It's your geforce 6200..... I had it to and it really sucks dick.
I upgraded to an extra gig of ram and replaced the 6200TC 256MB with an leet asus 7900GT TOP edtion.
I overclocked it to 580 MHz core and 740 MHz memory with the stock cooler (out of box speeds are 520/700)
my 3d mark 06 score is around 4500. all settings on the nvdea drivers are highes quality, 4xAA and 16xAF.

my specs:

* 3GHZ P4 HT
* some standard intel mobo
* 2GB ddr400 ram (4x512)
* asus nvidea 7900GT TOP
* 160gb sata disk

al runs smooth and well with an 300W PSU

never the less: I also have some blue leds and stuff in it see pics here: http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=42786

Last edited by ']['error (2006-10-31 05:19:38)

Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6758|Salt Lake City

Processor speed has a lot to do with the load times.  My buddy has a P4 3.4GHz, 2GB RAM, and a striped RAID (SATA) setup.  I have a S754 A64 @ 2.61GHz, 1.5GB RAM, and a single 200GB SATA drive.  If we push the button to join a server at the same time, I continually beat him by 10-15 seconds in loading/joining into the server.

Of course, I also stomp his FPS once the game is loaded.  His aging X850XT-PE just doesn't stand a chance against my X1950XTX. 
Yeah I think I am being held back by my vid card.. with only 4 pipes... yikes... Im thinkin about upgrading to a 7600 GT.. but i just found a deal at newegg for a 7800gs for 229....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6814143046

16 pipes.. im sure I'll see a HUGE difference.

anyone else out there run a 7800 gs??? any thoughts?
JUST GOT ME A 7800 gs.... holy shit... very nice..  i havent OCed it yet.. but so far I dig the results

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard