RamboFirstBloodPart2
+3|6402|Glasgow, UK
I haven't played BF2 long enough to be an exeprt in a tank but already I have noticed a few things that I don't think are an accurate representation of the real thing. First off I was lucky enough to get one of those Virgin adventure day things and the day out was Tank driving. After being in a real tank and actually driven it, all be it for 30 mins, I am not convinced the BF2 Tanks perform as well as their real life counterparts.

Point 1: I suck at driving a Tank and often find myself stuck in a ditch which seem impossible to get out. Only to be a sitting duck for a chopper or an AT whore.

In real life Tanks eat the terrain for breakfast the can climb the steapest hill with ease and do not get stuck.

Point 2: Driving on a hill, the game glitches, only to find your self sliding helplessly down a hill in a TANK.

Again in real life Tanks do not slide down hills, the Tanks tracks provide awesome grip on any terrain, but in BF2 its the opposite.

I was just wondering what you guys think of these statements. I am plainly speaking from my experience actually driving a real tank.

Any Tank tips would be helpful, many times I find myslef in battles with another Tank only for him to shoot me twice with his cannon and boom am floating to heaven. But it takes me 4 shots to kill a Tank while in a Tank of my own. Why is this?

Rambo over and out
_lecro_
Banned
+4|6473
Yeah they are...have you seen the British challenger 2 battle tank? in EF ( yeah it pwns your American tanks ) but still, it looks nothing like that in real life.
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6664
No, most tanks will pop when hit with an AT rocket.  Not BF2 tanks, you need three/four
jkohlc
2142th Whore
+214|6519|Singapore
tanks dont really need more than 2 shells to kill IRL....
malarkeycoon
+16|6632|Cardiff
Just keep to the roads and you won't have too many problems driving them around. Yes they are slow going up hills and yes if you go into a ditch you are essentially screwed. But think of the alternative... if they were accurate to real life infantry wouldn't even have a chance (on the open maps anyway). The tanks would engage the target from a mile or so away whilst travelling at 50mph. It would be hard to hit with a hand held rocket launcher.
Delphy
+45|6577|Bristol, UK

RamboFirstBloodPart2 wrote:

Any Tank tips would be helpful, many times I find myslef in battles with another Tank only for him to shoot me twice with his cannon and boom am floating to heaven. But it takes me 4 shots to kill a Tank while in a Tank of my own. Why is this?
Try and suprise an enemy tank, by getting round behind or to the side, that's where the weaker armour is. In a head-on confrontation, you need to get the first shot off, and try to aim for the sides of the tank, or the fronts of the tracks. Also keep straight on to them so they have less chance of hitting your sides.

Always play engineer, and try and gang up with another piece of armour with an engineer in it.
oberst_enzian
+234|6735|melb.au
videogame tanks, serious business.

not to be a smartarse, but i am still baffled as to why anyone would compare any element of what is essentially an arcade-y shooting game with "real life". i never played it, but perhaps something like america's army would be a better thing to compare digital representations with their material counterparts on, as they at least seemed to be going for some kind of "videogame realism", if i understood the point of it - the way that things are changed willy-nilly in bf2 with every patch, for the sake of things as arcane as "balance" (the blackhawks being a prime example), should indicate that the developers of bf2 have no commitment to authenticity or reality at all, hence making any comparisons is essentially moot.

but as for tank tips, there is a very useful chart of weak points at www.secretsofbattlefield.com

edit: here's a direct link: www.secretsofbattlefield.com/tankshits.html

Last edited by oberst_enzian (2006-10-30 04:04:38)

Brasso
+1,549|6623

oberst_enzian wrote:

www.secretsofbattlefield.com/tankshits.html
Lol.  "Tankshits".
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6558|England

Delphy wrote:

RamboFirstBloodPart2 wrote:

Try and suprise an enemy tank, by getting round behind or to the side, that's where the weaker armour is. In a head-on confrontation, you need to get the first shot off, and try to aim for the sides of the tank, or the fronts of the tracks. Also keep straight on to them so they have less chance of hitting your sides.

Always play engineer, and try and gang up with another piece of armour with an engineer in it.
Errr....thats a bad piece of advice, but what most players actually do (to my advantage).
I play a lot of Operation Smoke Screen (there are 14 tanks are on the map) and I have over 110 hours in armour. That tacic will, against me, fail everytime (assuming all shots hit).
Always turn your tank sideways to your enemy and aim for the front of his tracks, whilst hiding yours from his view.
2 hits will kill him if you hit the front tracks, whereas he will require 3 hits on your side tracks to set your tank on fire (essentially dead). It works EVERY time, without fail (unless you are a poor shot). 1 shot onto the front of a tanks tracks will set it smoking....2nd will finish it off. Try it in SP mode on an unused tank if you want.
Yes, he will have a bigger target to shoot at, but he still requires more shots to kill....you just have to kill him in 2 shots and then repair. It is very easy to do, although harder if he is moving around - just judge the shot.
I have never come across any player do this back at me, so it has never failed. Ever.
The other day, in a 1hour round of Ghost Town with 6v6 - where everyone was in vehicles, I never lost a single 1v1 tank battle and never used a supply crate during any firefight either. Which resulting in me being called a hacker. Very amusing.
2/2 gold medals in armour on OSS earlier today vouches for this tactic too.

EDIT: That "tankshits" (lol!) link also proves my point...and that a TOW rocket should always be aimed at the front tracks if possible...useful on Sharqi

But on topic...yes, tanks shouldnt really be sliding down hills or unable to climb tiny "cliffs". It is stupid, but they need armour Vs AT rockets and shells, otherwise who would get into a tank? With 1 AT rocket or shell to kill you...thats gona get very boring very quickly.
Would you honestly get into a tank knowing that 1 shot could kill you everytime without fail??
It would just be a mobile coffin and be rendered completely useless and helpless. They are fine as they are.

Last edited by Snake (2006-10-31 15:22:43)

cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6688|NJ
How about it only takes one guy to drive a tank in BF? and in real life it needs a crew?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard