uziq
+492|3453

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

On a different note, I'll admit to some curiosity as to how uziq's stay will turn out in South Korea. AFAIK not many foreign workers, and a master race doctrine taught in schools up to maybe 20(?) years ago? I expect racism is more subdued in wealthy/artsy areas of large cities, but elsewhere?

Most of what I know about them come from scraps from my great uncle, the local international district, and picking up on a very small portion of the language during childhood tkd (most of the instructors I had were amazing human beings).
not many foreign workers? it’s one of the top TEFL destinations in the world. a large american troop presence has been a part of life in seoul for decades.

it is one of the most ethnically homogeneous countries on the planet. but, er, so what! i can deal with being grunted at by old korean grandparents or not being let into a bar because i’m a foreigner. it’s part of the experience. do you expect me to shatter and fall apart or something because it’s not all going to be a pleasant hey-ho! time? i’m going there to challenge myself and learn something new, not be pandered to and flattered. a certain amount of humility and open-mindedness is required.

korea is one of the most western-facing nations in the far east. it was america’s baby in the cold war. koreans grow up in a western-facing popular culture and learn english from a very early age. i’m not moving to a third-tier chinese city or the deep japanese countryside. seoul is a major international cosmopolitan hub. it’s a global city. i could literally spend a whole year with the sizeable community of americans, canadians, brits, australians, etc ...

i really don't care that asian societies are homogeneous and hard to penetrate. you're talking a little bit as if i'm going to japan and wanting to be treated as a native, a near-impossible task. i'm really not. i want a break from my work-a-day life in the west and to let some fresh experiences in, not to go and be accepted as a life-long citizen of another country. i think you're possibly overstating this 'asian countries are racist and confucianism is bad' thing.

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-19 07:40:46)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Er, no. I know I'm butting into the middle of an unrelated pit fight here, but can you take a chill pill for just a sec? I wasn't trying to naysay or tear you down about living abroad, not that you need my permission anyway. I was just curious as to how things will turn out and even admitted my knowledge may be a little out of date, or to add, from misrepresentation. Looking it up, the number's more at 4% now. I was thinking 1%.

I don't recall ever talking about Confucius here, let alone saying Confucianism is bad. I don't know where you got that.
uziq
+492|3453
it's an incredibly common thing to do. there's an expat community and established 'experience' in pretty much any major city of the world. again, i'm not going native in papua new guinea or something. seoul has street signs in english and starbucks. let's keep it in perspective.

you talk about racist attitudes but i'm going to be hanging around with korean millennials, not grizzled korean war veterans who spit in the street whenever they see a GI in uniform. a good proportion of young asians go abroad travelling or to study, in any case. it's not like i'm going to be trying to penetrate some closed, hermetic world full of racist asian supremacists.

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-19 08:40:27)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

You're probably not going to South Korea because it's going to be an uninteresting experience. I'm sure you can see your way to understanding curiosity about it on the forum after you've brought it up.
uziq
+492|3453
some of it is going to be very fun and very good, some bits will be rough and bad. i'm cool with it. that's basically travelling in a nutshell. i'm moving to one of the most modern, convenient cities on earth, and one of the safest too. i am not particularly worried about racism or mistreatment. i have realistic expectations. i'm not seeking a surrogate family.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Well now that learning I'm not picking on you is out of the way, I can't wait to hear about Dilbert's potential adventures in working out of Rajasthan.

uziq wrote:

you talk about racist attitudes but i'm going to be hanging around with korean millennials, not grizzled korean war veterans who spit in the street whenever they see a GI in uniform. a good proportion of young asians go abroad travelling or to study, in any case. it's not like i'm going to be trying to penetrate some closed, hermetic world full of racist asian supremacists.
For crying out loud that's not at all what I was implying, but whatever. Way less interested now that you're so prickly about it.
uziq
+492|3453
i mean your view of the place seems a little out of date. perhaps we are just from different milieux. a lot of humanities grads spend a few years in asia at some point. teaching english is incredibly common.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

One of my neighbors taught English in China for awhile in the 90s/00s and talked about it at some length, I'm aware. Kind of already said I might be a little out of date, off the mark, misrepresented, pick a thing I can highlight. Why do things always seem to degenerate into some exhausting battle?

Anyway, I can wait until the froth simmers down a bit for you to keep us updated on your own time. You have a lot to say about what you expect, but I was more curious about how it will actually turn out. Relatively recent anecdotes I've read have had mixed experiences and it would be interesting to compare it with someone's who's been on the same forum for over a decade.

And no I don't think you'll be glowered at from windows and balconies while going for a coffee.

Fucking 9am and I'm already rubbing my temples.
uziq
+492|3453
how did you want me to respond to a thing like 'i wonder how living abroad for a year will work out?'

the only plausible answer is 'some good, some bad: like living anywhere, really'.

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

It wasn't really begging an immediate answer, was it. "I wonder how it will turn out." What are you, a fortune telling psychic? Cross your palm with a gold doubloon for mystical portents.

"Bon voyage!"
"GRR! It'll be some good, some bad! RAR!"

e: larssen comes right out and says that someone's parents are going to spit on you but somehow it all transmuted into me being the bad guy. smfh
uziq
+492|3453
it was a leading question. 'i wonder how it'll turn out' was then immediately followed by

AFAIK not many foreign workers, and a master race doctrine taught in schools up to maybe 20(?) years ago? I expect racism is more subdued in wealthy/artsy areas of large cities, but elsewhere?
not quite pure and disinterested speculation is it? 'there aren't many foreigners there and they're all asian supremacists'.

no, newbie, they're not. young korean people do not go around regarding themselves as a master-race and staring in disbelief whenever they see a blonde person. it's 2020.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

The answer I'd have been looking for if I directly asked is when the Korean curriculum swapped out of that, if it was ever there (I'm not familiar with the history of Korean schooling). Not what your experiences in the country will be like, before they happen. All your sass for nothing. Yes, zeek, like other countries, I'm sure there are bigots, and I'm sure there are non-bigots. I'd think most of the bigots would be older. Hurr-durr, what a grand revelation. Thank you, Your Enlightenedness.
Larssen
+99|1888

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Well now that learning I'm not picking on you is out of the way, I can't wait to hear about Dilbert's potential adventures in working out of Rajasthan.
Lmao I would pay to see this happen
uziq
+492|3453

child prodigy from detroit.
Larssen
+99|1888
Okay in all seriousness, what exactly makes this so amazing? To my 'fucking moronic' boilerplate serial numbered self, the songs you post, though by different artists, seem almost formulaic in their development and progression. What's the big 'ooh' here, why is he a prodigy?
uziq
+492|3453
he's just been releasing top quality cuts of music on the best detroit labels since he was about 14/15.

his music is super informed by funk and motown, the basslines are great, the drumming is great ... it's catchy and it makes people move?

i mean it's house music, not berlioz, and he does it very, very well, and has shown a precocious talent for it since before he was old enough to even be on a dance floor.

seeing as you can't identify the difference between something made in fruityloops and something made on a $2000 synthesiser, i'm not going to belabour any points talking about how well-produced and put together his music is. but it's beautiful and warm and sounds great when spun on vinyl, which is how all this detroit stuff is meant to be found and played.

his music also isn't really 'formulaic'. it is frequently very odd and 'out there' in terms of time signature, drum pattern, and structure. what's formulaic is the stuff you linked in that live video. every song is EXACTLY the same structure and sound. why are you so excited about a guy playing 2 hours of laptop generica but this is any different? one is really at your pitch and the other, erm, isn't? i'm having a hard time just deciphering what it is you call a 'taste', to be honest. doof doof doof / uhn tish uhn tish uhn tish with a fake-ass poser on a laptop amazes you no end, but something made with soul and swing and funk strikes you as 'unoriginal'? do we even have the same ears and listening equipment, or what?

uziq
+492|3453
nothing at all formulaic about this guy's songs, is there?

wow ... that same kick drum that appears in every single prog house song ... a slow build-up ... a bridge ... a drop ... open the filters! here's the slow breakdown bit where the synths arpeggiate and get louder and louder! ooh white noise tsssssshhh! a second drop! wow i have my eyes closed and these really obvious melodies and simple chord progressions are making me FEEL ALL THE FEELINGS!

it would sound good on a car advert where 'cinematic' qualities and readily available 'epic' feelings are needed, i suppose.

'flashbacks to taking my first MDMA pill at cercle, yah. percy from marketing was rushing off his tits, aha, yah, yah'.

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-19 13:32:51)

Larssen
+99|1888

If you think this is bad I dunno what to tell you man sry. At the end of the day it is 100% deep/prog house though so if the elements in the genre are not to your liking you could just say it's not for you?

I find it to be relaxing most of all.

My question was sincere because I honestly do have a hard time recognising all that makes this apparently fantastic.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-12-19 15:32:41)

Larssen
+99|1888

Something else
uziq
+492|3453
prog house is just very cringe and relies upon the same 2-3 tricks every time. i could not tolerate an entire festival of it. the silly melodrama of it and the fact every single fucking song has some portentous build-up and drop. it’s the same dynamic in every single song: tension, release. slow build up to an inevitable climax.

i don’t think anyone who is invested in dance music could honestly describe prog or trance as ‘non-formulaic’. i don’t think being wildly original is even necessarily the most desirable thing in dance music: after all, it’s about maintaining a groove and a vibe over many hours and keeping people moving. but you’re here saying ‘what is interesting about this music at all?’ to me and then linking ... fucking prog house and trance. what makes it worse is that this is all pretty much 100% software stuff that all has the exact same beige, over-compressed, weak sauce sound signature to it. i mean, listen to THAT kick drum in every. single. prog. house. tune. STRAIGHT out of ableton. i mean, come on man you’ve REALLY got to try harder. you have the self-awareness of a mayfly.

also i listen to a shitload of ‘deep house’, it’s one of my most purchased genres, i’ve got a stack of vinyl full of it. your silly anjuna day parties stuff is not ‘deep house’, they are almost entirely a trance label (anjuna is a beach in goa ffs). i don’t know why you even try to put that label on it or why his music is described that way: making sticky melodramatic music doesn't make it 'deep house'.  ‘maybe that genre is just not for you?’

this is 'deep house':

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-19 23:25:49)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
What sort of music is played at instagram blow-bang parties.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3453
i’m guessing trap.
Larssen
+99|1888
Look at the genre snob here, goddam.

Out of all the songs you posted the last one by sprinkles is something I would certainly expect to do reasonably well in a club. I can see that work. You speak of keeping people moving and in a groove but really honestly the stuff by Kyle Hall and Convexion are not something that would excite me on a club floor at all. Sprinkles at least has that bass and 'darker' tone in there that works so well on big sound systems in clubs.

If the purpose is partying and keeping people moving personally I move away from these genres and am partial to reggaeton/funk parties. Most fun I've had bar none is in those crowds, and if anything is formulaic it's reggaeton, but it's with the express purpose of making extremely danceable music. The retro electro stuff or Hall do nothing for me. I can't see party energy in a crowd with that, much less any appealing dancing. I'd expect drugged up weird white people chewing their tongues to bits while flailing their arms around out of rhytm, a bit like the böhmer crowd you disliked but with more drugs.

As for prog house: the whole point is to experiment with melodic elements and to have some 'dramatic cues'. I don't think I would ever go to a prog festival or concert, but I can enjoy it in my leisure time. I'm not likely to listen to any of it often, there's many other genres I much prefer (which seem to provoke your ire as well, which I don't understand at all), but it's there in my playlist if I'm feeling like it. And Böhmer is good at what he does.

I also find it kinda fucking stupid that you can listen to lots of elaborately, purposefully dramatic classical music yet label it cringe when elements are incorporated in other more modern genres like in this case house. If the purpose in your music is to show at least some creativity I really don't understand how you can't appreciate some experimentation in that way. Is Tiësto's rendition of adagio for strings also cringe and portentous to you?
uziq
+492|3453
i'm not being a genre snob, i like (some) trance and some prog house ... i honestly listen to (and mix) everything. it all has a time and a place. ultimately there is not a great deal of difference between a 120bpm 'deep house' track and a 124bpm 'prog house' track. we're splitting differences here.

seeing as you mention race, it's pretty weird how inverted your tastes are when it comes to, erm, really traditionally black music. house and techno emerged from detroit and chicago, and the whole 'deep house' scene, the 'underground', is still based on detroit record labels, detroit record stores/second hand spots, small press labels, small club nights, and a lot of artists who are really grinding it out to make a living. you dismiss all that as 'unoriginal and unimpressive' or whatever and opt for ... erm, a german white guy on a stage playing the most soulless, neutered, clinically boring version of that music possible. i hate to use such a problematic term but it's basically straight-up appropriation when a bunch of white germans or italians or whatever in v-neck tshirts try to claim their music as 'deep house'. deep house is kenny larkin, mike huckaby, larry heard ... omar s, moodymann, theo parrish ... it's detroit and it's chicago. i thought you were terribly interested in the 'african american' experience? anjuna and all these luxury cercle events hosted at french chateaux or what-the-fuck-ever are really not what the scene is about. that is straight-up whitewashing the scene in favour of a bunch of beatport.com millionaires and coked-up promoters.

prog house is just ... fine. the tracks you linked are ... fine. but they're definitely not wildly inventive and they're entirely formulaic. there's musicality in them, they're decently crafted, but they do all sound very much the same. i mean how many eyes-closed, hands-in-the-air moments do you need from an album? that's my problem with trance and prog house generally, they're a bit like 'dance music for beginners'. you can't listen to that stuff for 10+ years and still be interested in hearing the same dramatic, slow build ups leading to the same glitter-cannon/reach-for-the-lasers drops. it gets fucking old real fast.

If the purpose in your music is to show at least some creativity I really don't understand how you can't appreciate some experimentation in that way. Is Tiësto's rendition of adagio for strings also cringe and portentous to you?
my guy, adagio for strings in a trance cover is 'experimentation' to you? jesus fucking CHRIST do some digging. that is not experimental music. that is corny as hell and very very predictable stuff. it's the dance music equivalent of a movie soundtrack over-using violins and strings. how the fuck is straight lifting an adagio from classical music 'experimental'? it's like fucking emotion ON LOAN.

i think you have an extremely narrow and limited exposure to these genres and really are so far out of your depth that it's not a very edifying conversation. the 'deep house' scene has existed since the 1980s. 'experimental' electronic music goes back even farther than that. copy+pasting the MIDI sequence for adagio for strings into fucking software and transposing the violins into trance synths is NOT it.

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-20 04:10:15)

Larssen
+99|1888
I mean that's not my experience. In these parts EDM, electro, all sub genres have been embraced by people here and every party is going to be 95%+ white guys/girls and there's always this corner of people completely out of it on drugs.

I never liked the term appropriation as it's far too casually thrown around and I don't think it's very applicable if it literally crossed a giant ocean and had its own further development here.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard