RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6738|Oxferd Ohire
You have to call it something dumb like that or people will think you're gay
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
It would sound less gay without the romance .
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6738|Oxferd Ohire
Tell that to finn and poe
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6738|Oxferd Ohire

Bought a label's discography on bandcamp and one of the releases I've quite liked.

I've probably spent more money on music from bandcamp than anywhere else.
uziq
+492|3453
bandcamp is the absolute very best place to spend your money these days, particularly if it's on digital releases.

buy on fridays and even more money goes to the artist as bandcamp waives their fee, i think. a new measure since covid times. incredibly popular.
Larssen
+99|1888

uziq wrote:

Larssen wrote:

going by ur sappy texts you aint the best yourself!
why would i write in prolix king's english to a korean person, you idiot? i work as a fucking editor for a publishing house. i have a top-honours degree and a masters with distinction in literature, completed on a full-pass scholarship. i can compose a sentence of florid and purple prose, moron.

what's it like being the square root of normalcy? imagine thinking that bob dylan is the most relevant, interesting, worthy writer in literature today, and one worthy of a nobel prize. imagine hating 'bleepy bloopy computer music' and thinking dj tiesto 'goes hard'. imagine guffawing at dumb, dopey comedy dance songs and thinking it's just 'awsm' cause you get the joke.

i honestly, sincerely mean it when i say that you are the most normal person i have ever met. even your anecdotes are piss. 'i met a guy when travelling and we had a bromance'. jesus christ. did your parents split you from a plank of wood in order to beget you?
Between dilbert, macbeth and androoz your frame of reference for normies might be off

I also do not consider it an insult in the slightest to be a normie in that crowd.

Furthermore tiesto is fantastic, esp. in big crowds. Besides that you didn't comment on böhmer so I assume that means approval. Thx

Last edited by Larssen (2020-12-18 19:23:59)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720

Larssen wrote:

Between dilbert, macbeth and androoz your frame of reference for normies might be off

I also do not consider it an insult in the slightest to be a normie in that crowd.
You would be the least cool member of our band.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3453
Besides that you didn't comment on böhmer so I assume that means approval. Thx
i mean, listen to it. how much variation is there in 1hour30-something? the entire thing sounds, funnily enough, like music made using presets on software. it's all generic prog/tech house. it all sounds exactly like the compressor from ableton's software engine. it all has the exact same shade. he's mixing on a MIDI controller so he's probably mixing it all perfectly in time and in key, which just creates a boring, bland, soulless 90 minutes of music where it's literally all the same, slightly polished shade of beige.

you talk about forgettable elevator music but i sincerely doubt you could pick out and remember a single song from that set.

and if you want a better demonstration of 'normies' and their aesthetic, look at the goddamn crowd video. if that's your dilbertian 'tribe' then i rest my fucking case. they look like a bunch of HR admin assistants and accountants 'letting their hair down' on the weekend.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

DesertFox- wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Bromance shouldn't be a thing or even a word. Just like "hanging with the boys" and "guys only zone".
It all sounds pretty awful.

They might as well all just JO with their bros.
"Man cave" just reminds me of goatse.
uziq
+492|3453
larssen: lel your music sounds like basic software stuff. i listen to real stuff.
larssen: all pro DJs use software!

your guy is literally not DJ'ing. he is not selecting songs and mixing between them. he is not reading the crowd and having a feedback relationship with their vibe; he is not taking a set anywhere, up or down, faster or slower, according to the audience reaction. he is literally playing a pre-prepared set ... in ableton live ... software ... and messing with the EQ and effects and faders to transition between 'clips'. his ableton is even on the clip view in the video ffs.

https://i.imgur.com/Ez7lDnI.png

https://sonicscoop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/screenshot-hero.jpg.png

come on, do better. i'll make this as simple as possible for you: DJs select songs and beatmatch them together, creating transitions and interesting segues or conjunctions/disjunctions. they craft a 'narrative' using a widely curated set of music.

your guy is playing bleep bloop software music at a crowd of accountants.

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-19 02:06:22)

uziq
+492|3453
for the record, this is what a DJ does. notice the v a r i a t i o n and the actual human e f f o r t in mixing the songs together, ensuring they're blending, keeping them in time, cutting and reversing, etc. that doesn't exist in your bland software-mixed set by your dumb marketing guy. it's a matter of time before he's superseded by an algorithm.

Larssen
+99|1888
Ben Böhmer is a German composer, producer and DJ
Yes he uses ableton he's even on youtube talking about live sets w ableton. You won't ever find me in a crowd like that, doesn't mean the music is shit.

I've gone to concerts of rammstein, stromae, deadmau5, classical performances and everything in between. I know that your identity is fundamentally tied up in your electro DJ-who-reads-Spinoza persona ... mine isn't rooted in musical scenes. At all. I'm some ivory tower bureaucrat who's in many ways very much expected to be a clean cut, well behaved representative 'normie' that everyone else can stably rely on.

Which is fine by me cause in the words of kanye: my life is dope and I do dope shit.
uziq
+492|3453
as i said, if you prefer one style of music to another, go for it. you're the one who took your criticism into discussions of technique or production, though, when you don't know anything about it. insulting people as software producers on one hand and then on the other elevating a fucking ableton DJ is just funny. can you tell the difference between ableton and fruity loops in sound? i doubt it.

you said all DJs use software; they really don't. go and look at the boiler room, which has 10,000s of live DJ performances with the camera trained on the DJ booth, and 1000s of hours of festival stage-footage alone. look at how many laptops, MIDI controllers, or software set-ups are in use. i would make a very well-educated guess that it's about 5%. by all account, your remarks thus far show a basic ignorance as to what a DJ even does, and their difference from a music producer.

'i don't like that sound; i prefer this one' is pretty inarguable stuff. you do your dope shit. but don't deviate into discussions of software and technique like you can tell a moog from a linn. you can't.
Larssen
+99|1888
I was critical of the fact that it sounded to me like a person who first ventured into DJing software and predictably produced trash. The fault is with the person, not the software. I have no qualms with use of software. At all.
Larssen
+99|1888
I also find it funny that the hipster publisher with an asian fetish is ragging on a crowd that looks like a bunch of boring accountants who let their hair down on the weekends. You would fit right in
uziq
+492|3453
asian fetish 95% of my relationships and intimate relations have been with non-asians. i was in a half-decade relationship with a danish girl for my entire posting peak of bf2s, about as opposite to an asian as humanly possible on this planet, i think.

you're reaching a little bit m8. go and read up on some basics about electronic music.

I was critical of the fact that it sounded to me like a person who first ventured into DJing software and predictably produced trash
this makes absolutely zero sense. you do KNOW that a DJ, and DJ software, DOES NOT PRODUCE MUSIC, right? i have tried to outline this basic distinction to you several times. a DJ plays songs, as in, he hits THE PLAY BUTTON on music that has ALREADY BEEN PRODUCED.
Larssen
+99|1888
uziq
+492|3453

Larssen wrote:

The fault is with the person, not the software. I have no qualms with use of software. At all.
once again, you're finding 'fault' with the person when you have N O  I D E A  W H A T  Y O U are talking about.

this guy has been producing almost exclusively on hardware since the early 1990s. and you say it sounds like his 'first effort on DJ software'.

LMAO.

here is an article about him by one of the best clubs/labels in the world, giving a retrospective:
https://www.fabriclondon.com/blog/view/ … convextion

here is a mix he did upon invitation for the world's best electronic music site. look at the write-up. look at the community comments.
https://www.residentadvisor.net/podcast … spx?id=265

here is a fucking reddit thread, hardly the creme-de-la-creme of underground elitist snobbery, asking about his stand-out production.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Techno/comment … onvextion/

need i go on? you listen to people who make all of their music in ableton, literally software bleeps, and say it's awesome. then you insult a hardware producer with 30 years of experience and a high reputation, whilst accusing him of 'making music on DJ software'.

you are stubborn and stupid, a lethal combination. go and educate yourself.
Larssen
+99|1888
We already went over this many pages ago uziq, I'm in no mood to revisit a closed argument. You like what you like. If I can't express that I don't share that opinion without every word being dissected, there's a different issue here. You claim tolerance for differing tastes but have very little, if any. Not without exhaustive argument that satisfies your own need-for-proof. The fact alone that one off sentence written absent mindedly during work enrages you to the point of writing some 10,000 words about how I'm dumb and stubborn kinda speaks for itself.
uziq
+492|3453

imagine hearing this and thinking it was made on a laptop i'm dead.
uziq
+492|3453

Larssen wrote:

We already went over this many pages ago uziq, I'm in no mood to revisit a closed argument. You like what you like. If I can't express that I don't share that opinion without every word being dissected, there's a different issue here. You claim tolerance for differing tastes but have very little, if any. Not without exhaustive argument that satisfies your own need-for-proof. The fact alone that one off sentence written absent mindedly during work enrages you to the point of writing some 10,000 words about how I'm dumb and stubborn kinda speaks for itself.
because you're still insisting that there is a 'fault' with the 'person' making the music, as opposed to just making pure statements of taste.

'i don't have a problem with software, i have a problem with his poor use of it'. hahaha touché, yes, a person who has been making and releasing machine music since the early 1990s needs a tut-tut lecture from you about his 'poor use of software'. you are fucking moronic.
Larssen
+99|1888
Ah but it was a pure statement of taste, just a little more elaborately worded than 'i dont like'. For the record you attack pure statements of taste exactly the same way as well. It seems anything on top of 'not my preference' is too much to bear for you. Thanks at least I guess because in the last 6 or so pages I've read far more about DJing than I ever cared to know.

At least your soon to be korean gf whose parents will probably brutally reject your existence cares, though. You need not look to me for approval, my friend
uziq
+492|3453
god you sound so petty and pathetic. why do you think i give a shit about your comments about asian women? lmao you very silly boy.

OK! for the record:

DJs play records. 'disk jockeys'. they don't produce music.
DJ software does not create anything. it plays back songs that other people made and which have been completed.
producers can make bleepy music using things called synthesisers. they've been around for a while.

perhaps modulate your knowing, arrogant tone the next time you accuse someone of being a 'beginner at DJ software'. you just look like the normie idiot i've been labelling you as all along.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

On a different note, I'll admit to some curiosity as to how uziq's stay will turn out in South Korea. AFAIK not many foreign workers, and a master race doctrine taught in schools up to maybe 20(?) years ago? I expect racism is more subdued in wealthy/artsy areas of large cities, but elsewhere?

Most of what I know about them come from scraps from my great uncle, the local international district, and picking up on a very small portion of the language during childhood tkd (most of the instructors I had were amazing human beings).
Larssen
+99|1888
Okay I may have been a little harsh there but really now can you not see the hypocrisy in accusing me of being a knowing, arrogant, petty individual?

I must say the act does leave one smug and self satisfied, I suppose I get the appeal now. It's all in jest uziq.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard