uziq
+492|3453
i'm amazed you seem to know as much about metal music as jazz! rammstein and in flames! a real cognoscenti.
Larssen
+99|1889

Larssen wrote:

Hey look it's uziq

Last edited by Larssen (2020-12-06 10:20:08)

uziq
+492|3453
imagine lording it over someone with your knowledge of deep cuts such as ... erm, rammstein. you must be a trve metal fan!!!! \m/ \m/
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

I find that like 90% of the time when someone says they're done with an argument on the internet, they're not truly done until 20 posts later about how they never truly cared about it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX

Larssen wrote:

dilbert whenever he posts his admittedly shit music?
Eh, there's nothing wrong with my music and its unlikely I'd admit it if there were.

Meanwhile you two are bickering over the sort of atonal wanderings autists put on headphones to ree and rock backwards and forwards clasping their legs over in darkened rooms and often buses.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3453
i don’t think you know what atonal means. or autism, either.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/197/503/1320813769830.gif
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3453
yes, because being able to identify when a song is composed in a key or using fairly simple scales is really really complex stuff.

use terms you understand. generally good advice in life, i feel. calling anything you don’t like ‘atonal’ makes about as much sense as designating a song as ‘made in fruity loops’.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

For the life of me I don't why "made with fruity loops" is suddenly an insult. I'm pretty sure at least a few platinums have been made on it if we're talking popularity. It's a powerful (though not flawless) program and deserves respect the same as cubase or logic or any of those.

"Ha, this obscure song sounds like it was made by someone who sat in front of fruity loops." Larssen, FL is not obscure software. It is used in music production all the time. Do you also scoff at digital artists for using adobe suite or 3dsmax or blender?
Larssen
+99|1889

Larssen wrote:

In a way it feels rigid and unimaginative. The choices in which also are more off putting than pleasing, as though someone sat in front of fruityloops for the first time and kept adding random layers to his initial simplistic beat.
That's what I said. Does it look like I'm negative about FL or the user?

Last edited by Larssen (2020-12-07 01:37:43)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Kind of yeah. Toy Story was regarded as a good achievement in 3d animation but I guess some talentless nerds just sat in front of software.
uziq
+492|3453
it’s a completely daft understanding of production. fruityloops and DAWs make arrangement and sequencing trivial.

if you hear a person adding one ‘track’ at a time and manipulating ‘layers’, that would ordinarily suggest they are multi-tracking instruments. through a hardware mixer. or using a hardware sequencer.  that’s how analogue music of this type is made. you know, one fader has the synth pads, one fader has the kick drum, one fader has the incidentals ...

a DAW makes it trivially easy to arrange and automate 50 layers of sound. why you’d listen to an electro track and mention fruity loops, i don’t know. the genre sounds distinctly of 1980s hardware and has the imprints of those production techniques all over it. half the songs even have tape delay ffs.

you may well have said you just don’t like it. your ‘critique‘ is just nonsensical. it's no wonder that you're so terribly impressed by robert fucking glasper introducing 'beat-making techniques' into jazz in 2020: i sincerely doubt you even understand the techniques or processes of 'beat-making' either, which is why you're so easily impressed.

just like dilbert's use of the term 'atonal' as vague disparagement, it is completely disconnected and irrelevant to the thing you're trying to pontificate about. i have no problem with you disliking music but if you're going to venture some comments about its production techniques, like dilbert discussing its musicality, then make basic fucking sense!

it would be like me saying i dislike lady gaga's music because i can't stand serialism. err, there's nothing serialist about lady gaga's music. but hey, don't needle me for endless justifications man! this is just your insecurity!!!

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-07 02:07:12)

Larssen
+99|1889
It's not like pretty much all EDM producers use FLstudio and/or other similar software. Totally nonsensical.
uziq
+492|3453
EDM sounds nothing like electro? you just have to love the ignorance of someone assuming that all electronic music is produced in the same fashion as an obnoxious fad from 2014 ... when electronic music has been a thing for, er, 40 years.

EDM sounds distinctly like fruityloops, yes: it has the DAW audio engine's digital, polished sound, all of the songs are full of endless huge, over-the-top breakdowns and transitions (i.e. manipulating and automating many layers at once). EDM songs literally are built around VST synthesizers like Massive (i.e. the 'sound' of digital saw-tooth wub wub noise), polyphonic synthesizers with more voices than anything synth makers could make in the 1980s for less than $20,000 ...

do you actually have the faintest clue what you are talking about? your persistence is just sheer arrogance. if this was actually a music forum people would be lolling at you.

even the compression and saturation/distortion of the sound is totally different. EDM has an extremely vivid, not to say overbearing, sound. everything is squashed and compressed to all hell and sounds very raw. electro songs actually have dynamics and transients. again, this is the VERY basics of production, not some arcane stuff only mastering engineers know about. they do not sound the same AT ALL.

listen to the extremely shrill, digital-VST synths of this song. listen to all of the automation and sequencing going on in the DAW. listen to how compressed the drum rack is, how squeezed/pumping it sounds, maxed out in digital mixdown for radio play.

does this sound the same to you? it doesn't sound like fruityloops at all.

you are almost indefatigably stupid on this subject.

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-07 02:26:33)

uziq
+492|3453
Larssen
+99|1889
Electro is literally a subset of EDM. It's a blanket term for all sorts of styles and genres that use electronic/digital instruments produced by DJs for clubs or dances whathaveyou.

Let's also not skip over my choice of words pls. Your foaming at the mouth is making reading really hard it seems

Larssen wrote:

In a way it feels rigid and unimaginative. The choices in which also are more off putting than pleasing, as though someone sat in front of fruityloops for the first time and kept adding random layers to his initial simplistic beat.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-12-07 02:30:09)

uziq
+492|3453
christ here we go. 'EDM' is a distinct genre that came about in american dance music specifically, after dubstep's wave washed out. it's major festivals. avicii, calvin harris, etc. it was a bubble.

electronic music has been around for 40 years. nobody has ever used the term 'EDM' before about 2012. do a google analytics search. or open a music magazine once in a while. EDM did not exist.

nobody in europe or berlin talks about liking 'EDM'. that's because it's a nonsense genre invented by americans wearing glowsticks, and evidently basic idiots like yourself who think they're experiencing the pinnacle of house music when they lift weights in the gym or whatever. people talk about house and techno. genres which have been around since the 1980s.

electro has been around since the 1980s, even pre-dating house/techno. is it NOT a sub-set of 'EDM'.

i don't think anyone even talks about EDM now? hasn't even that fad burnt out by this point? EDM is basically dead, including all the major festivals and promoters who were making bank off it. it was a flash in the pan and a huge cash-in. now you're lecturing me on how 'actually, this genre is part of EDM, and all EDM producers use fruityloops, so ...'. again, you are so fucking clueless. haha. why would all of electronic music now be produced in the fashion of an obnoxious fad from the mid 2010s? you do realize that the majority of digital producers actually use ableton, logic, reason, and protools? fruityloops is like baby's first DAW. most producers are not using it at all. the fact that EDM producers leaned heavily to fruityloops was because it was simple, rudimentary, and had built-in synthesizers like Massive which could immediately achieve that BWAHH BWOH BWOH WOH noise.

please, learn to know what you're talking about. just like dilbert learning about songs being in key and atonality, it really shouldn't be too difficult. nobody is asking you to analyze a late mahler symphony.
uziq
+492|3453
and please don't backtrack and say 'i meant electronic dance music in the widest sense of the term'. because you didn't. you're talking about EDM producers all using fruityloops and pointing to a very specific sound/group of artists. you're talking about 'EDM' as it has appeared precisely since the 2010s.
Larssen
+99|1889
It is literally a blanket term, how am I 'backtracking' when I used it in that sense? If I was talking specifically about your electro I wouldve said electro. EDM and electronic music in general are pretty interchangeable terms here. I don't care who 'invented' the name?

So I posted a video about glasper literally talking about 90s/early 2000s producers sampling jazz and you go off on a tangent about how I know nothing about j dilla and sampling of jazz in hiphop. Then when you get the point you start raging about glasper anyway, when I could've just as easily named thundercat or indeed kamasi washington because I explicitly said 'someone like glasper' - Who. All. Work. Together. On. Different. Songs. Could've just as well named j dilla though he's been dead for a while now. I think they're doing a lot for jazz.

Give it a rest really. You're so angry you can barely fucking read.
uziq
+492|3453
you are backtracking.

It's not like pretty much all EDM producers use FLstudio and/or other similar software. Totally nonsensical.
do you really think ALL of electronic music producers as a blanket term use fruityloops and software? LMAO.

that is just egregiously wrong.

you've obviously heard or read somewhere that deadmau5 or skrillex or whoever use fruityloops, and you'd be right in assessing that particular 'scene' as relying heavily on fruityloops. they were basically teenagers in the early 00s and fruityloops was cheap/free and very easy to learn. as i said, baby's first DAW.

electronic music pre-dates fruityloops invention by about 25 years. how are you going to claim that you're using 'EDM' as a blanket term and then also claim that 'pretty much all producers' use fruityloops? er, 65% of the history of this music, including its seminal and classic releases, were in a PRE-SOFTWARE era, dipshit.

nevermind the fact that we are going through a great era of analogue revivalism/fetishism. not just vinyl records being more popular now than any other format, but the hardware industry too, reviving old gear as well as lots of new brands, e.g. novation, native instruments, etc. to claim that pretty much all electronic music producers use software is just, again, funny and illiterate.

the only one persisting and 'not laying off' is you, who for some reason cannot admit that he hasn't the faintest what he's really talking about.

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-07 02:52:19)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721

uziq wrote:

skrillex
https://media3.giphy.com/media/VMgcrwq9imGHu/giphy.gif

Also, early 2000s Emo Music > almost all heavy metal in the 21st century.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Larssen
+99|1889
Was the song you linked produced in the 1970s? No? Do pretty much all DJs today use software? That's a resounding yes.

No uziq you can sputter until you turn blue. The music is shit.
uziq
+492|3453
skrillex sounds exactly like software, yes. if i was linking basic EDM/brostep trash and someone criticized it saying that it sounded like someone had opened fruityloops, etc, then: yeah. you're bang on.

electro has been made using machines for about 40 years. no software is in its 'DNA', really. so to lump electro producers under 'EDM producers who all pretty much use fruityloops' is just dumb to the point of inanity. house, techno, electro, disco ... all of these genres are made substantially 'out-of-the-box', still, to this day.
uziq
+492|3453

Larssen wrote:

Was the song you linked produced in the 1970s? No? Do pretty much all DJs today use software? That's a resounding yes.

No uziq you can sputter until you turn blue. The music is shit.
do all DJ's today use software? er, why are you talking about DJs? you do know DJs are not the same thing as producers, right?

all DJs today use CDJs and turntables. i know because i used to spend half my social life around DJs. i know because i DJ.

DJs do not 'use software' at all. there was a small time in the mid-2000s when DJs started using a thing called 'DVS systems', which involved a laptop. but this was cumbersome and, er, involved dragging along a fucking crash-prone and expensive laptop. now DJs just use CDJs or vinyl. a CDJ can play digital mp3s using a USB stick. there is no software involved -- and good riddance. it was a liability.

https://www.residentadvisor.net/photos/2015/uk151204-741140/hnkc_151204_inmotion_dusky-300.jpg

Was the song you linked produced in the 1970s?
the music was produced using hardware literally from the 1980s. anyone who has listened to more than 10 hours of electronic music can recognize a roland 808 or 909 drum machine. they are literally the most-heard drum machines in existence. that track i linked has a roland 909 drum machine all over it. so, yes, it was produced quite tellingly by PRE-SOFTWARE hardware.

look up at the thumbnail of another electro track i linked. it has a fucking picture of a roland sh-101 bass synthesizer ON THE RECORD.

again, you simply, quite emphatically, do not have the faintest clue about this music. you are a total fucking normie who kids himself he knows 'what's what'. oh yeah, all those producers using fruityloops, man! larssen knows the score!

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-07 03:03:58)

Larssen
+99|1889
PSA: if you ever say uzi's favourite song isn't good, prepare for 10.000 words and some 20 youtube video links on how you're an unforgivable philistine, including normies rage and all

Good showing lad imma go get some work done

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard