reefl3x
+72|6400|United States
BF2 was without a doubt the best looking game of 2005. Sharp textures, rich enviroments, new rendering techqniues etc. But it was relatively system demanding. But certainly not unplayable on low end systems.
I consider my system to be relatively mid range. x800xl, 1GB RAM, AMD64 3000+.

As the patches came out the game oddly enough became increasingly more laggy and unstable.
To prove this I ran a test about an hour ago. Heres how the test went down...

I re-installed and before installing v1.4 played some single player, did some ol c4 chucking, flying choppers etc.. and just messed around. I played 5 maps (3 chinese and 2 MEC maps). I used FRAPS to benchmark FPS. (All tests done in single player)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I ran everything high except dyn shadows & dyn lighting on medium 4x AA 1024x768.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retail Version (NO patches applyed)
Average FPS- 72FPS
Lowest- 59FPS
Highest-100FPS

v1.4 Patch Installed
Average- 42FPS
Lowest-29FPS
Highest-100FPS

As you can see theres a dramatic difference in my average and lowest FPS. My highest for both tests were achieved in the helicopter on Dalian plant.

NOTE- All average, highest and lowest FPS's were combined from all 5 maps.
im_in_heaven
+27|6585
interesting
ShadowFoX
I Hate Claymores
+109|6529
Somehow this not suprise me at all.
Nice research you've done though.
Breez
AKA: badhq
+937|6630|Derby, England

Nice investigation now all you have to do is tell us why its lagging after install of patch
SexyCabbage
One Shot, One Kill ... Always
+68|6478|Kentucky
congratulations would u like a cookie?
Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6689|Calgary
nice work  +1 for your labours
xintegrityx
set your body ablaze
+37|6726|Louisiana
Not surprising - the game seems to become more and more bloated with each patch.

I've noticed that 2142 (or at least the demo) loads and "Verifies client data" MUCH faster than BF2. And the two games are built on the same engine. Of course, this could be due to optimization of code, but I don't want to believe that DICE learned from their mistakes with BF2 and that 2142 will be the game we should have had last year.

Last edited by xintegrityx (2006-10-25 19:02:13)

ShadowFoX
I Hate Claymores
+109|6529
Bf2142 will phail.
RandomSchl
|\/|€|\/|߀|2
+52|6441|California

xintegrityx wrote:

Not surprising - the game seems to become more and more bloated with each patch.

I've noticed that 2142 (or at least the demo) loads and "Verifies client data" MUCH faster than BF2. And the two games are built on the same engine. Of course, this could be due to optimization of code, but I don't want to believe that DICE learned from their mistakes with BF2 and that 2142 will be the game we should have had last year.
Yea ive noticed the same thing too, and also i dont get any stuttering in 2142.
reefl3x
+72|6400|United States
In case your wondering maps were-
CHINA- Fushee pass, Daqing oilfields, Dragon valley
MEC- Mashtuur City, Gulf Of Oman.

Mashtuur City and Fushee Pass were the 2 most system demanding maps I tested on.

Last edited by reefl3x (2006-10-25 19:10:43)

GuestHead
+2|6617
Wait a minute...mashtuur single player?  Sure you didn't just start a local server and play around with no one in it?
GotMex?
$623,493,674,868,715.98 in Debt
+193|6760

Hmm, Interesting results. I wonder why the framerates dropped. I'm curious as to what differences the dynamic lights/shadows would bring to the table. Also, you should try uncapping the max framerates (BF2 caps them at 100) and see if the max framerates also drop.
Deadman
+34|6440|England
Nice work. So i'm guessing 2142 will start lagging like a bitch when they start patching it, in about 2 weeks time probably. LOL?
Anybody know if there are any servers running the unpatched version 1.0. I've often thought of installing another unpatched BF2 so i can play both.
I liked throwing the C4 and shooting while jumping.
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6841|Bryan/College Station, TX

Deadman wrote:

Nice work. So i'm guessing 2142 will start lagging like a bitch when they start patching it, in about 2 weeks time probably.
You mean it's not lagging for you now? You must be one of the lucky ones.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
TheDoctor
The Original BF2 Timelord
+51|6531|Australia
i have noticed the same thing too, Before 1.4 things were much more faster even on high with my ATI Radeon X600. Now i have to have effects, dynamic lights and geometry on low to keep an average 27FPS.
I.M.I Militant
We Are Not Alone In Here
+297|6717|Melbourne, Australia
have some karma for your research

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard