cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6697|NJ
THE United States has slapped a ban on Vegemite, outraging Australian expatriates there.

The bizarre crackdown was prompted because Vegemite contains folate, which in the US can be added only to breads and cereals.
Expatriates say that enforcement of the ban has been stepped up recently and is ruining lifelong traditions of having Vegemite on toast for breakfast.

Former Geelong man Daniel Fogarty, who now lives in Calgary, Canada, said he was stunned when searched while crossing the US border recently.

"The border guard asked us if we were carrying any Vegemite," Mr Fogarty said.

"I was flabbergasted." Paul Watkins, who owns a store called About Australia in San Antonio, Texas, said he had been forced to stop importing Vegemite six months ago.

"We have completely stopped bringing it in," he said.

"(US authorities) have made a stance and there is nothing that can be done about it."

http://www.savevegemite.com/
Master*
Banned
+416|6496|United States
i love Vegemite
Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
+77|6696|Mountains of West Virginia
What a waste of time and energy. Way to go government!
daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6576
+1 for Britain. For the on going row over who is best
I.M.I Militant
We Are Not Alone In Here
+297|6720|Melbourne, Australia
Aussie Aussie Aussie .. vegimite is certinly a refined taste
pers0nah
Waste Kid
+271|6583|MANCHESTERRR
why they banning it
Fadediesel
+15|6417|Emmaus, Pennsylvania
WTF is vegemite?
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6502|Los Angeles
The stuff is absolutely horrid, and I wouldn't mind if it were banned, but this seems to be just an escalating rumor:

Slate wrote:

Artificial folate, also known as folic acid, is highly regulated by the Food and Drug Administration, though, and only approved for use in a few foods (such as breakfast cereals). But since Vegemite's folate is naturally occurring—brewers' yeast contains several B vitamins—it is not banned in America. (Nutritionists typically use "folate" when referring to the naturally occurring vitamin and "folic acid" for the synthetic version.)
It's probably just a case of a couple overzealous customs agents, soon to be resolved from the negative press and a couple phone calls from relevant parties in Oz.
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6723|Eastern PA
The US did attempt to classify catsup as a vegetable in the 1980s so this isn't unprecedented.
basetballjones
+30|6750
Bullshit

The post indicated that the US banned vegemite for it's folate content....

Folate= Organic Folic Acid.. found in spinach, beans. peas.. good for pregnant women and helps prevent anemia.. is recommended by the surgeon general of the US and used by most bread and ceral manufacturers as added nutrition, but is in no way restricted to any one type of food manufacture.. as a matter of fact, I can go buy about 30# of Folate from whoever stocks vitamins.

I'd like to see were in the US legislature that vegemite is or was banned due to it's folate content.  Out of all of Savevegemite's site or in the article they linked too, I still see no sources.. the article itself has no sources, is less than a paragraph long, slanted, biased, packed with loaded words, and sketchy 3rd hand hearsay.

Show me US legislation from my federal government's official site's or I call bullshit.  How bout this, I'll go start a website called "savedentalhygeine.uk" stating that the queen takes a dump in the Thames at promptly 7:00 every morning, and then I will link to my sources at "Blogspot" or whatever.. Then we will be on equal ground.

See, this is why we kicked your ass out all those years ago
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6723|Eastern PA

basetballjones wrote:

Show me US legislation from my federal government's official site's or I call bullshit.  How bout this, I'll go start a website called "savedentalhygeine.uk" stating that the queen takes a dump in the Thames at promptly 7:00 every morning, and then I will link to my sources at "Blogspot" or whatever.. Then we will be on equal ground.

http://www.fda.gov/ora/oasis/1/ora_oasis_c_gb.html
Nisa International
    Grimsby , GB                                   NYK-DO  084-1013637-1/47/1
    25HCT99   KRAFT VEGEMITE SANDWICH SPREAD, DOES NOT REQUIRE FCE/SID
                        19-JAN-2006                        NEEDS FCE
                                                           NO PROCESS
http://www.fda.gov/ora/oasis/ora_oasis_viol.html#62
Reason: NEEDS FCE
     Section: 402(a)(4), 801(a)(3); ADULTERATION
     Charge: It appears the manufacturer is not registered as a
     low acid canned food or acidified food manufacturer pursuant
     to 21 CFR 108.25(c)(1) or 108.35(c)(1).
Sentinel
Cheeseburger Connoisseur
+145|6659|Australia
As far as i understand all this has been resolved:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=155019
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina

basetballjones wrote:

It's nice to see that you can debate so soundly.
Chou
+737|6792
Vegemite contains folate, which in the US can be added only to breads and cereals.

So it's a not poison, what's the problem here?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Vegemite is made by TERRORISTS.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6469

Masques wrote:

The US did attempt to classify catsup as a vegetable in the 1980s so this isn't unprecedented.
Catsup is Dan Qualye's favorite vegtible.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6781|Great Brown North
uh thats the most pointless ban ive seen come from the US in awhile
Pizdets_Velikiy
+8|6404
There is an alternative that's quite close. It's a Brit product and is called Marmite, and I know it's not banned because I buy it at my local Whole Foods regularly. Freaking expensive though, but so good!
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6550|Southeastern USA
I said do you speaka mah language..............................

karma if you finish
TeamZephyr
Maintaining My Rage Since 1975
+124|6530|Hillside, Melbourne, Australia

kr@cker wrote:

I said do you speaka mah language..............................

karma if you finish
and he just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich

and he said, "do you come from the land down under?"
TeamZephyr
Maintaining My Rage Since 1975
+124|6530|Hillside, Melbourne, Australia
In all seriousness though I think it's pretty funny that a country that allows people to eat McDonalds trys to ban a spread that is known as "one of the world's richest sources of Vitamin B"
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6562
You guys had better hope this is just a rumour.  I don't know if you've ever seen an Aussie without vegemite, but it ain't pretty...........................
BF2Craglyeye
+72|6674|Australia
This is just a joke right???

How else are going to fucking eat it, you cant be that stupid to eat it off a spoon. At least regularly.

That leaves its best usage...on a piece of toast or in a sandwich.(...mmm)

Edit: read the post with the news report, so anger not so bad. but none the less still fucking stupid Americans(not being specific, just general dont get upset pls)

Last edited by BF2Craglyeye (2006-10-25 20:54:26)

LT.Victim
+1,175|6564|British Columbia, Canada
Banning! Vegemite for restricted Folate content.
Vegemite has been kicked from the server.
Vegemite has been disconnected from the server.
BVC
+325|6697
But...but...but its vegemite!

That stuff is beautiful!  Mix it round with a lot of butter, on toast or untoasted bread....MMMM!!!!!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard