polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6786|Singapore

Yup. The PKM pr0z I mentioned in one of my other posts is Murray. Thanks for single-handedly pinning my entire squad back. lol.
UCLink
+0|6785|Linkoping, Sweden
I like to go support on Mash. City. Perfekt if you are in a good squad. I totaly agree with you M90, cheers
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6742|Houston, TX
Anyone got an opinion on the new SF Support weap unlock vs. PKM and/or SAW when it comes to the aforementioned strategies?  The overall strategy remains appliable, but any fine tuning to what you've posted already?
M90Medic
Wiki Contributor
+2|6751|Medicland, sthlm

Kung Jew wrote:

Anyone got an opinion on the new SF Support weap unlock vs. PKM and/or SAW when it comes to the aforementioned strategies?  The overall strategy remains appliable, but any fine tuning to what you've posted already?
I haven't got SF, and haven't nicked any unlocks. Sorry. Will eventually revise this post when i get SF and the needed time to do so.
matt_g_geier
+0|6733|Minnesota
good post...
he_who_says_zonk
+17|6718

Kung Jew wrote:

Well the MG36 is a beautiful gun, but since to get it you've already unlocked the PKM your first reaction is going to be along the lines of "What the hell? This thing is firing pins!". It doesn't have the raw "You are about to die" feel like getting shot at by a PKM does, but it is a very efficient little girl. It also has the option of 3 round bursts, which is interesting.

Since it's based on the G36 system, it handles a lot like the G36C and the G36E. Obviously because it is a full machine gun it is much less accurate, but it gives you an idea of how it will perform. It handles similarly to the SAW, I think, though it has been a while since I used the pure weapons (other than the m24, my precious). Like all MGs, don't bother trying to engage at long ranges, you're better off using cover / tear gas to close the distance to 20 - 40m.

I would say that you don't need to know anything new in particular to handle the MG36. Like always, when you change weapons you need to adjust to how the new weapon handles, but sticking to the same ways of using it as with other guns, you will get the good stuff happening.

In general with MGs, my own experience is roughly:

- Always fire prone or in iron sights. Preferably both. Even at close range and standing up, iron sights will often give you the edge you need. Also, if you're surprised, diving to the ground usually screws up your enemy's aim, and then you can let loose. I also once came up behind a sniper, and instead of knifing, I went prone, lined up carefully, and let 20 bullets into his head. I imagine he was rather startled.

- A good burst length is 6 - 20 rounds. With the PKM you want more like 4-8 because it is more powerful. You probably shouldn't even try to hit them if they are >50m because you may as well just stand on the edge of a river and throw ammo bags into it. A carbine or rifle will beat you easily if you engage it at the wrong range. You want to be close enough that your high rate of fire and amount of ammo makes a difference

- Bluff your enemies. A smart player will try to beat his enemy quickly and effectively by returning fire in the same manner, but a little faster. So if you're single shotting, they will do the same, and if you burst, they will do the same. But if you are bold enough to fire in more continuous streams, they will likely do the same. Soon, they will need to reload and you will still have 60+ bullets to burst into their soft, delicious flesh.

- Engage enemies in your weapon's killing zone. For a machinegun, this is <1m for close range spraying, 5-20m for long bursts, and 20-45m for short bursts. This is all just rule-of-thumb stuff, of course. I base it on feeling that at around 15m, the rate of fire and magazine depth of an MG allows you to put huge amounts of lead into people. Getting kills is all about putting yourself in the situations where you have the best chance of putting the most bullets onto the largest number of targets in the shortest amount of time.

- And finally, it can be tempting to try to lie in wait for people, but:
If you aren't firing, DONT STAY PRONE!
As support you should be either prone and firing, or on your feet running around throwing ammo at people. If you're prone and you aren't firing, you're a sitting duck. Do you want to be a duck? The answer is NO!
mattajohnstone
+15|6785
cool posts guys have learnt a lot. Give support a 2nd go
Nufuhsus
+0|6840|Atlanta (Metro) USA
Nice job all. Some good information. Am I the only one who noticed the OPs tactics say to not use ADS, He_who_says_Zonk does use ADS?

Also, I have seen this asked in other posts but none of the replies were satisfactory to me and seeing that you folks have a bit more understanding of that which we loving call Bf2.

How do you judge distances when using small arms?

Thanks in advance. Love this game.
StikeZero
+0|6709

Cougar wrote:

Feature Post Request!
I agree with this, ROCK ON BROTHER
[64]-Spud
+0|6712|cork city Ireland
God dam boy u got talent mabe not with a gun!!! but u got it with your keyboard?
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6742|Houston, TX
Great advice.  Thanks.
I chewed through 4 squads with the PKM on Iron Gator today.  26 enemies fell to a hail of lead, including a hallway of 4 nicely riddled SEAL members.  Caught the last guy reloading...

KRAK-KRAK-KRAK-KOW!!!

Thump.

Man, that felt good.
he_who_says_zonk
+17|6718

Nufuhsus wrote:

Nice job all. Some good information. Am I the only one who noticed the OPs tactics say to not use ADS, He_who_says_Zonk does use ADS?
pardon?

How do you judge distances when using small arms?

Thanks in advance. Love this game.
I mostly got an idea of it from fighting around flags... since it says the distance on the flag, and you can see how big someone is next to it, it gives you an idea of how far things are.

Also, on the inf maps (Karkand, Sharqi, Mashtuur) you can get an idea of distances by the number of buildings along the road between you and the enemy.

I don't think knowing the distances in numbers is too important. It's more important to have a feel for what range is too much for your gun. Obviously if you're 100m away from someone and spraying at them with an m249, you aren't going to be getting many hits, and if you're right next to them you'll be getting a lot, so you have to find the balance between them, where if they are any further than X distance, it isn't worth engaging them until you get closer.
Slacker60
+0|6707
Support the only way to go....well most of the time.  Nice guide
Aegis
Sailor with no BF2 Navy
+19|6742|I'm worldwide, beotch

divided wrote:

I should make a bunnyhopping/dolphin diving/superman gliding guide.
I should kill you.
Erkut.hv
+124|6732|California

Aegis wrote:

divided wrote:

I should kill you.
That's fawkin funny.

MG36 RULES.

How do they say... "it is teh l337 ub3r w34p0n"
Possum61
+9|6746|Philly PA USA

RKF77 wrote:

{DS}Serge wrote:

whats the point of this post???
What's the point of yours?
lol  lol  lol  lol   Dude that gave me a good laugh
lordgeno
Enemy Bush Spotted!
+18|6710|asshole of the planet, NM, USA
i was a 240 gunner in my service and you hit it right on the freggin head!
Frappy
+0|6693|Cheshire, UK
Something that's not been mentioned and everyone who's anyone already knows - the first stage of sniper training should be to take some time and play as support.

There are two reasons for this - 1) the machineguns have crosshairs which converge (narrow together) as you settle, so if you're running they are far apart and if you are still then they are close together. When teaching n00bs how to shoot properly, to be able to visually SEE the aimerror is invaluable; 2) play as support and really pay attention, because you get 3 indicators for who needs ammo (audible "running dry..", mini-map, and ammobar above team-mates) no matter how well you think you know the maps, by paying attention to those indicators you'll find a friendly sniper who has found a spot you didn't know about before.
Czechnology
+0|6698

{DS}Serge wrote:

whats the point of this post???
hahah. coming from someone with a sniper rifle in their sig, thats not surprising.
Drunkaholic
+4|6722
Gah, at least DICE was consistent with the damage for the MG36 compared to the other G36's.  Why doesn't it get their accuracy too, though?  People literally mount telescopic scopes on this gun in real life and SNIPE with it...  And where's the semi-auto mode, too?
dp462090
+0|6698|kentucky

RKF77 wrote:

haha, this is a freaking awesome post.

However, I would like to add that with the PKM and some patience in certain spots on certain maps, you CAN be a killing machine.  PKM > *
thats the only reason i got my veteran support badge on karkand we just help the enemy back... that was fun got 23 kills all on support:)
[DARE] ksack
+0|6693
totally second that!!! but we must remember 1 thing, most people dont play for the well-being of the team, they play for THEMSELVES!!!
Drunkaholic
+4|6722
We need one of these; https://world.guns.ru/machine/hk21e_w_belt.jpg
Power to the support!!!
kn0ckahh
+98|6736|netherlands, sweet lake city

divided wrote:

yes please.... i suck at  superman gliding
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6687|Tampa Bay Florida
<3 support class.  All of the MG's are fun to use (regulars and unlocks) and if used correctly they can seriously help you squad out.  I once had this squad on US on Mashturr City.  I was the SL, and we had a good mix of assault/medic and a sniper, and I was support.  MEC had taken the Hill base, which is vital to the US because it allows access to the gas station, therefore allowing access to the Black Hawk (which is the most lethal weapon on Mashtuur City).  Anyway, my squad mates were all working together beautifully.  Sniper was sniping here and there, and 2 of my guys were chucking grenades, while I just stood by with an ammo bag.  After the grenades softened them up, we moved in for the kill.  I got 3 with my SAW and the remaining MEC were finished off by the M16's.  Then we finally took the flag.  So beautiful *sniff* I only wish all squadmembers could be that great

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard