GeoEnvi
+22|6657|Philadelphia, PA
Ever see this in the "load in message"?

The away bonus will help you get back on track with your career after some R&R. But the fastest way to go up in rank is to earn it on the battlefield. (28)

What the heck is an "away bonus"?  Is it for real?
jnick
+22|6752
Yes, it's for real. No one knows the algorithm it uses, but basically it awards you some points (10-15 highest I've got) for time spent OFF the battlefield. You can be awarded this in numerous rounds. You'll see it at the end of round summary, where it shows your CAREER points for a specific round.
Dex Luther
+32|6408|Canukastan
Ah I can see the abuse now, and then the nerf, and then the abusers whining about people whining about the abuse and getting their exploit nerfed.

EDIT for typo

Last edited by Dex Luther (2006-10-20 11:26:13)

The Last Black Winegum
Mmmm! Winegums
+52|6576|Lancashire, UK

jnick wrote:

Yes, it's for real. No one knows the algorithm it uses, but basically it awards you some points (10-15 highest I've got) for time spent OFF the battlefield. You can be awarded this in numerous rounds. You'll see it at the end of round summary, where it shows your CAREER points for a specific round.
WTF !!!   they are giving people points for NOT PLAYING THE GAME!!! ????       Bizarre!
CaptainMike
It's just a flesh wound
+45|6615|Canada

jnick wrote:

How time were you off the field to get 10 points? Since the game has been out for only a few days, I don't think you could have been away for too long.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6717|The United Center
Hmmm...

I should make a new account, play one round, and then not touch it for a year.  See how many points it racks up.
Kanil
"Aff, Star Colonel!"
+37|6732|Internet!
Uh, you get Career points for in-round achievements. Those are *not* "away bonus" points you are seeing.

I think this is a good idea. But it probably won't rack up that many points.
donpost
+8|6731

Kanil wrote:

Uh, you get Career points for in-round achievements. Those are *not* "away bonus" points you are seeing.

I think this is a good idea. But it probably won't rack up that many points.
At the end of a round, "away points" are listed in your score calculation. They add to your career points.

Last edited by donpost (2006-10-20 12:12:41)

zeidmaan
+234|6385|Vienna

lol you cant get "away points" by playing ???
twz_stryker
+4|6472|San Antonio, TX
So has anyone figured out how long you have to be "away" from the battlefield to earn the points?
vpyroman
Aeon Supreme commander
+16|6587|UCF
In beta 2 I was away for 3 days, got an extra 13 points when I returned for 3 rounds, its not that big of a boost IMO. Its like the average person's score in 3 rounds
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6617|Peoria
its like in WOW, the points are to make sure that if you have to go away for a long time, your not TOO behind when you come back.
Chou
+737|6761

ThomasMorgan wrote:

Hmmm...

I should make a new account, play one round, and then not touch it for a year.  See how many points it racks up.
You'll be Supreme Commander
ayuill
+1|6602
This is a good thing so the people that actually have lives that don't play 2000 hours in a year can still gain points.  I played BF2 casually and it was so hard to gain any ranks because some people don't do anything else than play.  It is especially handy since lower ranking players will have a much tougher time against higher ranks because of the new unlock system.
jnick
+22|6752

CaptainMike wrote:

jnick wrote:

How time were you off the field to get 10 points? Since the game has been out for only a few days, I don't think you could have been away for too long.
The Beta. About 7 hours - Got 15 points. The round directly after - 11 away bonus points.
Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6626|Brisbane, Australia

What I think it does is that after a certain period of time, if you come back, say you get a 50% bonus to your points for a few rounds.
dubbs
+105|6602|Lexington, KY

The Last Black Winegum wrote:

jnick wrote:

WTF !!!   they are giving people points for NOT PLAYING THE GAME!!! ????       Bizarre!
You get them for looking at ads.
Wraith
+30|6550

dubbs wrote:

The Last Black Winegum wrote:

jnick wrote:

You get them for looking at ads.
Please tell me you're joking.  Apart from how pathetic that is, can't you just imagine the stat pading.  Clan sets up a server, fills it with their players and leave them pointing towards the ads while they piss off and do other things.  It would be like those people who apply for commander in BF2 and go afk to rack up points without playing.
stoned.defender
+2|6778

Dex Luther wrote:

Ah I can see the abuse now, and then the nerf, and then the abusers whining about people whining about the abuse and getting their exploit nerfed.

EDIT for typo
Agreed.

But on first impressions it sounds like a really dumb attempt to maintain game loyalty.
Janysc
+59|6654|Norway
Well, I've been getting them lately. I was in London for a week, came home yesterday, started getting between 15-20 "away" points after rounds. From what I see, they're not abusable at all. I've had weekends without this game, and no away bonus. The bonus isn't all that great either, it's just a nice "welcome back" present.
VeNg3nCe^
¦Tactics Øver Principles¦
+314|6676|Antarctica
I went away for 3 days a while back and got away points.  I was getting 37, 35, and 30 points the first few games so I assume it gives you 10 points per 24 hours, starting at 48 hours.
Dingarth
+17|6562|Australia
Something like that. I think I was away for roughly 48hrs and got about approx. 25 points first round.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6450|Somewhere else

I don't like BF 2142 (personal opinion, no need to flame) So I haven't played it much.  I think this concept is dumb.  I like seeing my stats in BF2 were earned by my own gameplay, every single point.  Now, if I ever decide to get into 2142, by now, I'll have a ton of points that are just "there" because I -didn't- play? I wish they wouldn't do that.

It's just a dumb concept.  yeah, its so the casual player isn't stuck without unlocks fighting against dedicated players but.... so what?  I pray for the day when EA realizes that they can't make a game that everyone will enjoy.  Make a game a certain audience will like, not a good game, then nerf the leaving hell out of it, so its more "accessable". Curses EA!

Last edited by RoosterCantrell (2006-11-18 13:08:29)

doc. josh
+48|6515

jnick wrote:

I got 20 from away bonus

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard