Played it? Liked it?

I have not yet played it, but look forward to my copy14%14% - 168
I have not played it, and do not intend to22%22% - 258
I have played it, and I plan to continue playing it41%41% - 473
I have played it, but I won't play any more20%20% - 233
Total: 1132
DesmondLocke
+1|6548
Finally played this game for about two weeks and I think I'm getting the hang of it.....So here goes....

1 Walkers, a cool addition to a mostly contemporary battlefield (minus the hover tanks)
2 Kit customization, there might only be four base kits, but if you specialize in one "side" you could actually get eight separate ones out of them
3 The action in this seems a little more intense than BF2. Everything is more in your face, and you don't have to travel as far to find action.
4 No jets. Finally.

Dislikes:
1 Even with the new patch Titan maps seem to lag a lot. Even when you're on the ground.
2 The maps are a little too compressed. You can't seem to run on the outskirts of everything like in BF2.
3 The city maps are too small. The CPs seem to be bunched together too closely.
4 You can't hide nearly as well as you could in BF2. Anyone who's done the sniper rifle, or even assault rifle, knows there are a few sweet spots in BF2 where you can lay for awhile before being found. 2142 seems to lack these, or at least has far few.

But besides all those I will still play 2142. Nice change of pace, but similar enough, to BF2.

Last edited by DesmondLocke (2006-11-23 20:36:09)

213_Sel
+0|6441|Skelleftehamn, Sweden
Well, guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite. I'd like to quit playing because of all the glitches, but I continue anyway since it still has that BF-flame (some of it at least) I fell in love with in 1942.

Well, both lists of likes and dislikes feels almost infinite.

. You actually get points for commanding your troops as squad leader (and they get for following orders)
. Nekomata (hover tank) - Being able to dodge projectiles and still facing your front to your enemy is very valuable
. You play a walker right and you're almost an unstoppable force, play it wrong and you get whacked immediately - very good balancing
. Even though the glitches, I find infantry combat exciting

Dislikes:
- Bugs/glitches:
. Infantry is like running in a huge bowl of cream
. You still have to jump over very small obstacles (curbs, etc.)
. They still haven't fixed the friction - Incapacitated infantry (can't crawl up a little slope)
. You still can't climb/jump and grab hold of something
. Dancing in the titan - I mean, it was easier to wingwalk in 1942 than it is to walk a straight line on the titan

- Balance issues:
. Amount damage repaired/points earned is still out of balance. 70% engineer, 20% assault (just recently unlocked defibrillator, so now I get advanced med hub as field upgrade) but I still have more healing than repair points
. Pilum H-AVR's projectiles are insanely slow - Since they're a bullet (not rocket-propelled) they should be going considerably faster
. Stationary railguns(?) have ridiculously low accuracy
. Weak grenades - After 100 years you would think they've become stronger, apparently not (ever felt the shockwave of a grenade from the distance of a few meters?)

- Misc:
. Why do PAC and EU have identical titans? (in every significant aspect) Same vendor? Don't think so. Feels like laziness for not creating at least two diffirent

Last edited by 213_Sel (2006-11-26 10:24:39)

Drunkaholic
+4|6721

alien-DSW-Gen wrote:

Godhatch wrote:

Bernadictus wrote:

God is not allowed, same as Jezus, and all other biblical crap.
well thats the biggest pile of crap i've ever heard, even though i did get kicked from a server before for reuining the name of the lord. total crap
Prime Example of why all christan servers should be shutdown for racism.
Race does not equal religion and vice versa.  Now, on to the actual topic.  I bought the game and will continue playing. Prepare for a bigass list of likes and dislikes.  And don't flame me for saying that things are imbalanced; I'll always point out things that are unfair to the average player.

1.  The DICE Live team is made up of the people who coded the game.  This means that patches don't cause problems.
2. APC's are no longer 1-man nuke factories.
3.  The new APC promotes teamwork
4.  Tanks are no longer untouchable, they require infantry support and promote teamwork
5.  The new unlock system has more options with lots of new toys.
6.  The unlock system has basic items like shock paddles in the first unlock slot, but only dedicated players will choose them now.
7.  Verifying Client Data no longer takes 15 minutes; now it takes 30 seconds even on a computer with 512 MB RAM.
8.  The stats server isn't as overloaded as it was in BF2.
9.  DICE has been fixing issues quicker than in BF2.
10.  I love dog tags.
11.  BF2142 is more stable in general than BF2 was and is.
12.  Better design for AA fire.
13. Rockets are no longer effective for anti-infantry...
14.  Awards are now worth points

Dislikes:
1.  APC's are now 6-man nuke factories
2.  The APC's rockets have a kill radius of 6 meters...
3.  By switching games so quickly, EA has had a negative impact on the mod communities for all games.
4.  Hollywoodism.
5.  The 3D map is extremely bugged; you can see enemy mines without "seeing" them; can't tell whose spawn beacon or sentry gun it is.
6.  Mechs are pretty much indestructible if the pilot has a clue what he's doing.  It takes 4 rail gun / 5 tank shots to destroy one.  The rockets on the mech tear rail guns and tanks to shreds.
7.  Pilum doesn't have enough of a damage / velocity bonus.
8.  Transports are set ablaze by one hit from the Pilum.
9.  The shoulder-mounted AA launcher is a "seeker", but you still have to maintain lock.  Ever heard of "Fire and Forget?"
10.  Lots of Titan exploits even when the Titan isn't moving. I won't go into any detail, but most of you have probably seen one or two.
11.  Stat padding occurs more rapidly.  On the other hand,  DICE has told people that they'll kick their ass.  Also, most exploits will soon be fixed.
12.  The large amount of support people makes active camo useless even when you sneak behind people's backs.
13.  Active camo makes noise...
14.  Medals don't give points, but they have the most demanding requirements.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6702

chuyskywalker wrote:

Like: It got the spit shine it needed since the beta. New awards are a nice refreshing hook.
Dislike: The ever-present "battlefield dance" on any surface still exists and drives me NUTS on the titans. The plane/chopper monstrosities are aweful.

Overall, I'll hit up a game once in a while, but I'm probably going to stick with BF2 more often than not. I just think that in 150ish years, we ought to have some f'ing lasers (if not with dolphins).
I thought it was genetically-modified bad tempered sea bass.
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6516|Adelaide, South Australia

Like:
Dislike: the fact that it's a mod that you have to pay for, those who put in the time are now 5x'leet'er than the average player thanks to 10mil unlocks and i hate every weapon there is in that game.
DesmondLocke
+1|6548

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

Dislike: the fact that it's a mod that you have to pay for, those who put in the time are now 5x'leet'er than the average player thanks to 10mil unlocks and i hate every weapon there is in that game.
The problem is that I could counter that by saying that, besides points, nothing you do in BF2 matters. Got a ribbon, got a badge, got a medal....so what. It doesn't help you any. I've learned the best way to advance is to just kill. Screw teams, screw orders, screw everyone else but yourself. (Not that I play like that. I am a team player. I'm just using that as an example.)
In BF2142 however, you get more rewards by playing as a team. Command your team as a leader, or follow orders as a member, you get rewarded even more.
PS.....It's not a mod. There were no hover tanks, battle walkers, sentry guns, active camo,................etc etc etc...............in BF2. So those are new additions, not just MODIFICATIONS, to the game. If they added those to the game, the entire game would have had to be changed.
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6516|Adelaide, South Australia

DesmondLocke wrote:

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

The problem is that I could counter that by saying that, besides points, nothing you do in BF2 matters. Got a ribbon, got a badge, got a medal....so what. It doesn't help you any. I've learned the best way to advance is to just kill. Screw teams, screw orders, screw everyone else but yourself. (Not that I play like that. I am a team player. I'm just using that as an example.)
I don't play because of points, i play to have fun. no award that i have was specifically aimed for. (except the Basic Air)

DesmondLocke wrote:

In BF2142 however, you get more rewards by playing as a team. Command your team as a leader, or follow orders as a member, you get rewarded even more.
And how often does that happen? probably not much more than in BF2, I'd expect.

DesmondLocke wrote:

PS.....It's not a mod. There were no hover tanks, battle walkers, sentry guns, active camo,................etc etc etc...............in BF2. So those are new additions, not just MODIFICATIONS, to the game. If they added those to the game, the entire game would have had to be changed.
so despite the fact IT'S THE SAME ENGINE used in BF2, the core gameplay was intended to be the same, and it's still all about the awards?

all 2142 is, is BF2 with a new coat of paint.

Last edited by Fenris_GreyClaw (2006-11-27 22:26:22)

Alleycat1969
+21|6753
Hey Hey to the above statement....But there is a good side to this  ...all the noobs have flocked to 2142 in there droves and left Bf2 a better place.. Anybody want to buy my copy of 2142 ...It is a legal copy ? , lucky i did not pay for it, got it as a gift from my wife.

For those keeping up with developments check this site out, there is some good stuff to look at::

http://www.crysis-online.com/Media/

Peace out
DesmondLocke
+1|6548

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

I don't play because of points, i play to have fun. no award that i have was specifically aimed for. (except the Basic Air)

DesmondLocke wrote:

And how often does that happen? probably not much more than in BF2, I'd expect.

so despite the fact IT'S THE SAME ENGINE used in BF2, the core gameplay was intended to be the same, and it's still all about the awards?

all 2142 is, is BF2 with a new coat of paint.
OK, I think I completely mis-stated myself in the above post.
On your first statement I agree completely. I always found it more fun if I got a ribbon or badge or whatever in the normal course of play rather than trying for it.
Yeah, squads aren't much more common in 2142 than in BF2, only slightly. I think the points were added as an incentive to squad up.
About the awards? Only if you want it to be about them. You said you play for the fun, so do I. (I'm almost a Gunnery Sergeant in BF2, and I still don't have my Basic Pistol Badge, and I could care less if I ever get it.) I think adding points to those awards was a mistake in 2142.
And about the game engine.....are you familiar with Star Wars Battlefront? By today's BF2 standards it's a low end game, but the first one was hugely popular in its prime. But the second one used a modified version of the original game engine, and completely changed the look, feel, interface from the first. Not all, but most players that went from 1 to 2, were very disappointed. It felt like an entirely different game. Some say there's not enough changes in 2142 from BF2, others say there's too much. I guess I'm in between, but I can see were these others are coming from.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6546|CH/BR - in UK

I played it and liked it.
Things I love: Titan, new unlock system, new class system, TV-guided missiles
Things I dislike: Ammount of claymore spamming/turret placement at the entrances to the Titan, APCs aren't as good as before, EMP strike scares me every time

-konfusion
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum
Likes-Pins
        New ranking structure, career points etc
        new unlock system, player upgrades as well as new weapons

Dislike-Air vehicles, they took it down from tons of jets and choppers, to 2 hybrid things with weak missles,and appear to have reskinned the z-8 as transport things.they suck
           -much more confusing when you get shot at, eg, little noise, just a red flash, and your death
           -stat AA guns still suck, projectiles fire to slow, only good for attacking titan guns
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Mouse315
Bash.org Junkie
+105|6517

fatherted13 wrote:

Dislike--stat AA guns still suck, projectiles fire to slow
What are you talking about? The static guns destroy gunships very quickly, and nothing is more annoying than those tracking emp make-you-crash-and-no-one-gets-kills-for-it rockets.

With their rate of fire you can keep a gunship grounded indefinately.

Last edited by Mouse315 (2006-12-27 14:22:34)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum
i agree that the emp rockets are effective, but i find the projectile bullety things, too slow, with too much of a arc too be good at range, unless the aircraft is going straight over your head
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Mouse315
Bash.org Junkie
+105|6517
Its just a leading game with the AAs, if you want straight shot you can use the top seat of the walkers.
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6349|uk

Downloaded the trial thing....

Hated it.

Unlocks everywhere.
Constantly having to customise the kit for all the field unlocks etc etc.
Defrib is not in the same position that it was last time.....

The game is just too complicated, i want to jump on, select a server, and play.

Not jump on, find a server in 'advanced mode', select the kit, customise the kit, play, get 000's of badges, ribbons, and crappy awards distrupting the play, then get a field unlock, have to customise the kit AGAIN.

Ill stick to Bf2.

Thanks
RiceKrispie
+27|6384|Ottawa, ON
Played it today for the first time... pretty disappointed. It barely runs for me.

Like:
- Some of the maps were interesting
- Good kit customization idea, but it really needs to save defaults.

Dislike:
- Lag... how can a modded version of BF2 run at half the framerate of the original? Unplayable for me. 15-20 FPS at lowest possible settings.
- Weapons... brutally inaccurate. They even sound pathetic. Seemed like I was firing an empty nail gun. 7+ shots with the stock Assault gun to kill people? Headshots impossible to land? Also can't stand the little half-circle graphic that replaced the BF2 'X' in the crosshair when you hit someone.
- Medkits... way too slow. Takes years to heal, and they can't be picked up. Also seemed to be zero indication of when you can place another one. I put one down, then ran across a street and got shot. Had to wait for nearly a minute before I could throw out another.
- Graphics... despite being practically the same game engine and running at half the framerate of BF2, the graphics also seemed to be of half the quality. Most textures were just single colours. I felt like I was playing a 10 year old game. The vehicles were pretty pathetic looking too... don't think too much effort went into modeling or texturing them.

Last edited by RiceKrispie (2007-01-06 22:41:00)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6490|N. Ireland
Battlefield 2142 is not a modification of 2. They are not alike in ANY WAY except that they were made and coded by EA and DICE.

I love the gameplay. My computer can handle big things (including my ego) so titan battles are just solely immense! Demopaks, sentries, apms, support troops, ammo and med packs flying everywhere when that ONE enemy pokes his zeller through the side. It is an absolutely fantastic system (titan mode) and I am very pleased with it. It's CTF but with more "umphf"

The lag is only a problem in major titan battles, but the chances of you coding a game like 2142 as successfully as DICE have done it, I don't think so. You don't get whine privelidges. So shut up!

The career point system is brilliant, so it gives you a challenge to earn rewards, and big awards such as the Valarous and Legion of Merit Ribbon worth 2000 each, really makes you strive for teamplay (especially for the valarous, as you need 55 teamwork score along with 25 hours squad member time and 50 hours squad leader time (i'm at 48 now) - it is just so intense to get)

I wish BF2 adopted the career system, but it's made itself BF2 by doing what it has done for a long time so perhaps this is un-necessary.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6710|Purplicious Wisconsin
I like bf2142, but the pac have a disadvantage in weaponry over the eu, for example the pac's mg is the worst gun I ever tried, I'm lucky enough to get a kill with it. Anyone agree?
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum

War Man wrote:

I like bf2142, but the pac have a disadvantage in weaponry over the eu, for example the pac's mg is the worst gun I ever tried, I'm lucky enough to get a kill with it. Anyone agree?
No, PAC sniper is far superior, and their stock assault rifle, is possibly the greatest gun in the game.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6710|Purplicious Wisconsin

fatherted13 wrote:

War Man wrote:

No, PAC sniper is far superior, and their stock assault rifle, is possibly the greatest gun in the game.
Both sides' sniper seem the same, and the assault rifle is cool too but eu's gun fire faster while the pac's does more damage but the mg for the bug really is horrible, and the eu's smg is a nasty little thing much better than the pac's, get what I mean now?

By the way I think the eu's smg would beat the pac's assault rifle in close quarters fight.

Last edited by War Man (2007-02-09 20:36:01)

The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum

War Man wrote:

fatherted13 wrote:

War Man wrote:

Both sides' sniper seem the same, and the assault rifle is cool too but eu's gun fire faster while the pac's does more damage but the mg for the bug really is horrible, and the eu's smg is a nasty little thing much better than the pac's, get what I mean now?

By the way I think the eu's smg would beat the pac's assault rifle in close quarters fight.
The EU smg is a fantastic little gun, true, and the recoil feels non-existant, so yeh, i find myself winning more CQB than i lose with it. I'm not so sure the SCAR does fire faster than the Krylov, and the Krylov is IMHO a amazing little gun, better then the Voss or Baur fo 'sho
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Auqakuh2213
Bianchi Whore.
+53|6666
Had the good fortune to start playing (and bad fortune, at the same time o.O) on the last day of an unlocks weekend.

Three best things for me..

Battlewalkers. Not the walking aspect so much as ... I don't actually know, I just don't care if I die, live, get attacked by horny unicorns... don't care. Too much fun to play around with.

Heartbeat monitor thang. BF2 should've had one, at least in Special Forces, because the tech has been around for quite a while already. Mine worked great at first, although it seemed to stop working on certain servers. Not sure if this was just my imagination at play or what.

Squadplay. People join squads, you just have to invite them. Zomg. Awesome. Fantastic. AT BLOODY LAST. I play for a) fun, b) winning the battle. I don't care if I get points while doing it, but if I can help someone else obtain a goal that helps the team - all the better.

I DON'T like the claymore thangs. The other day some guy spawned on a dropship tranceiver, leapt about hurling APMs, and then ran off before we could kill him. Needless to say the two of us unlucky enough to be capping the flag (rather than covering those capping the flag) were dead no matter where we moved. Seemed ridiculous. Otherwise, they're fun to avoid, and help keep you focused, so not complaining too much.

I don't like the APC grenades. They seem somehow inconsistent. I get killed by an APC hurling grenades at me, and I'm in a tank, something doesn't quite make sense. Those are anti-personnel grenades, not anti-vehicle. This much is obvious from the spread-pattern on firing. APCs should have to run from tanks, never the other way around, even if I'm only on half health. Not saying tanks should have higher hit points, but the grenades should only be effective if very precisely placed. Again, I think there should be some sort of random factor built into the damage of all weapons, to simulate those one-in-a-hundred/one-in-a-million type shots (like in BF2, if you hit the rotors in the right place, it should kill em, but never did - a random element would mean it would just pick a bullet sometimes that got into a particular hitbox and said, hey, I'm that critical hit dude, give me my nice shiny chopper kill, thanks!).

I don't like the ground aspect of Titan mode. There's a little too much room around the central flags, which really doesn't get used but serves as hiding places only for snipers. Since those are not infantry-dense maps, this seems entirely wasteful. If the maps were smaller, there'd be less textures, geometry shaders, etc etc to load, and everything would be a liiiittle bit quicker. Not much smaller, mind, the wide-open ground warfare underneath the Titans makes it a rather different game mode to the more generally tight, infantry-dominated Conquest mode - but in the interest of efficiency, they could be smaller.

Conculsionythang:

Generally speaking I like it. There are some issues, like a light assault rifle out-performing a light machine gun. Sorry, that makes no sense - don't care how accurate it is, if both fire simultaneously, the LMG (headshots, downstroke, or body shots, upstroke, either way - I don't mean pure body shots!) is definitely going to kill the other guy, even if he does get a killing shot on you. There are not enough instances of killing the other guy - but he kills you too. This shouldn't be rife, but statistically it should happen at least occasionally, and it's rare even with the vehicles.

The write-up in-game of the repair unlock needs to be rewritten; it definitely gives the impression of some sort of automated system for repair, which it quite clearly is not.

Infantry-dominated battles are nicely intense, require tactical thinking for supremacy, and offer plenty of cover. Nice. BF2 had far too little cover, was endlessly annoying that you had to run out into the open so damned often.

The major move forward, I think, is the fact that even dull-reflexed persons can think tactically enough to outwit those of you who shoot far faster. Just a little bit of caution suddenly goes a helluva long way, whereas in BF2 caution equally meant you'd get shot in the back by some guy who just spawned. The spawn points at flags/silos seem to be a little bit better thought out, so that they do not open immediately onto the flag, but instead can give the impression that the guy who just shot you might easily have sneaked into the flag compound/area from a direction you just couldn't keep tabs on.

The game allows for longer stretches of life, even if you do get shot at. This means you can often regroup, and realise that you just aren't concentrating enough - and improve yourself accordingly, rather than just an endless, seamless string of deaths discouraging you from learning the best way to play the game.

The major downside is not the Networked Battlefield, however. I've seen some people complain about that, but that level of situational awareness IS even-handed. If people with the most unlocks lead squads, their squad gets the benefit, which is fitting - the most experienced lead, and should, until others have the experience to do so as well. Nor is the heartbeat monitor omgwallhaxx0rz!. The active camo is hardly effective, and those with keen eyes have surely noticed that it's a big advantage to YOU, not the sniper, since he has to change weapons, aim, and shoot, while you just cackle at the silly dance he does while you cut him down with a Bianchi...

Teeheehee.

Yeah, overall I very much like it, huge improvement. But that said - they should've damn well got it right with BF2.

Also, IT IS NOT JUST A MOD. If you can't tell that from playing it - IE that there's been significant recoding on very many aspects of the game - then you are, I'm afraid, too ignorant of programming to comment anyway. No offense - but if you don't know it, don't spout it.

Also, can I suggest a Holography Distraction Projector that projects an image of a bikini clad woman holding a coke can, saying, "MMM, what a big weapon you have!"? EA could get some real advertising revenue on that, because I haven't even -seen- any in-game ads. Which shows how effective they are not. Nor have I rushed out in a frenzy to buy products, so the subliminal thing still isn't working... [/mocking of in-game adverts]

Last edited by Auqakuh2213 (2007-02-22 13:17:22)

Superglueman
+21|6356|The Great South Land

Obiwan wrote:

2. great battles
3. tanks

Dislikes
1. lag
2. I had to buy a dvd cd rom becuase I bought the cd without doing research
3. I reserved my name and never figured out how to acces it so I had to pick another name and start from 0
Like about a thousand others.....only the rare few accessed that upgrade...
-|TS|-owNzu7
+6|6416
Well, to tell you the truth I was skepticle at first.  I played the demo but was not very impressed.  But then, I had some extra money so I bought it.  I am VERY VERY pleased with it.

The graphics are about the same, but there is new graphic effects that make the experience great.  The more dynamic unlocks system is fantastic.  Larger range of rewards.  And the simplified point system is nice.  Also, I like that it has moree interactive type of weapons. I am very glad I gave this game a try.
russ)=spetsnaz
Banned
+131|6452|the guy in the hind on gator

-|TS|-owNzu7 wrote:

Well, to tell you the truth I was skepticle at first.  I played the demo but was not very impressed.  But then, I had some extra money so I bought it.  I am VERY VERY pleased with it.

The graphics are about the same, but there is new graphic effects that make the experience great.  The more dynamic unlocks system is fantastic.  Larger range of rewards.  And the simplified point system is nice.  Also, I like that it has moree interactive type of weapons. I am very glad I gave this game a try.
right on

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard