skanktank
+0|6732
First off i have the minimum requirements to run the game. When i try to run the game
it shows the intro with no problem then the screen goes black, the game shuts down, and
my computer has to restart. Sometimes it makes it to the static screen before login, if im
lucky.
any ideas 2 what the problem could be.

im also going to download the patches in order.

any advice would be much appriciated

Last edited by skanktank (2005-11-19 16:10:02)

Sgt.Slaughter
+0|6776|Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
Similar situation has started to occur on my machine too. Without warning the damn thing will go black during a game and restart.... keeps starting up by checking the consistency of my disks afterwards... ??...
Jetfighter_NL
+0|6739|Delft,Netherlands
I have this problem while i`m playing the game.
This problem sucks!!
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6839|Cologne, Germany

thread will be moved to BF2:Help, as this issue has nothing to do with bf2s.com - the site -
skanktank
+0|6732
Does Anyone Know What The Hell Is Going On Im Asking For Your Help Everybody I Know Some Of You Are Really Smart. At Least Some Advice Would Be Nice. Thx

Last edited by skanktank (2005-12-01 18:05:50)

bs6749
+3|6742
I am guessing that your graphics card will not run the game even if it is 128MB or 256MB (This happened to me with a 256MB card) Do this for me: Click <START> then <RUN> then type in "dxdiag" just as it appears here. Next click <ENTER>.This will run a diagnostics tool. Once completed click on the DISPLAY tab. Tell me the name, chip type, and memory as it appears on the page so I may further help you.
exar21
+0|6726
my buddy's having the same problem with his, AMD 3400+, 1.5 GB ddr, radeon 9800pro, asus k8n-e- deluxe mobo.  Didn't crash untill the 1.12 patch.  He's pretty damn pissed about this.  If anyone has any info on whats going on i'm sure hed be much obliged
thinner44
+1|6807
Why not just have a look at EAsyInfo (within the game files, or via start>programs>EA Games), that will tell you if your 'minimum' is not up to the latest specs. There's also an issue with display drivers, on some nvidia cards, you have to 'roll back'. There's also the power issue... this game takes up huge resources and is bound to make your pc a little 'hot' ... too hot and the result is, crash, restart (on some).

If you're having strange crashes, there's also a thread in Bf2SF help section that may be able to help
Dozer_Scope
+0|6810

bs6749 wrote:

I am guessing that your graphics card will not run the game even if it is 128MB or 256MB (This happened to me with a 256MB card) Do this for me: Click <START> then <RUN> then type in "dxdiag" just as it appears here. Next click <ENTER>.This will run a diagnostics tool. Once completed click on the DISPLAY tab. Tell me the name, chip type, and memory as it appears on the page so I may further help you.
Did you mean the specs for the graphics card or the main board? Cause I have the same problem, the game just crashes randomly, in early gametime. This started happening when I changed my Radeon 9700 PRO to a Geforce 6800XT from XFX.
Here are some of my specs:
-MSI KT4V MAin bord with the newest VIA drivers
-Nvidia XFX Geforce 6800XT AGP 128mb with the newest Forceware(81.95) drivers
-AMD Athlon XP 2500+
-2x Crucial 512mb DDR

Can you please help me with the problem, it's goddamn annoying!

Last edited by Dozer_Scope (2005-12-02 12:23:46)

bs6749
+3|6742
http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/ph … _topview=1

Go here Dozer_Scope. (Copy then paste into adress bar). Did you uninstall your old drivers from your Radeon 9700 Pro BEFORE INSTALLING the nex card? This needs to be done. I found the information needed to fix my problem at EA's BF2 site under Customer Support> Battlefield 2. There is also a list of supported video cards, along with liks for updating drivers. By the way, I meant the graphics card and not the main board. Do you know if you have on-board graphics as well?

On the site it says that the 6800GT, 6800 Ultra, and 6800 are supported. I am not sure whether or not this includes your XT because it does not say specifically 6800XT or 6800 series. My first card (Radeon 9200 8x AGP I believe) would run the game somewhat and then the game crashed whenever there was a big explosion or a lot of action. This card was not listed under acceptable cards. I don't know if you see what I am trying to say or not but maybe I can summarize it for you. Your card may work for the game somewhat like mine did and then crash because it isn't supported by the game or vice versa whichever it is I'm not sure. Glad if I helped at all.
Dozer_Scope
+0|6810
hmm.. That link did'nt help much but youre post did. I have no old drivers in my disk, since it is a brand new harddrive. And I do not have any onboard graphics. But I found an interesting thing in my bf2 folder, the Electronic Arts easy info, here I see there is an (i) behind my Display Device, Display Driver and Sound Driver, and not a green check box. I reacon this is because it does not support it or something. I have the latest drivers for mye graphics card and my mainboard(where the sound device is locatede).
Do you have the link for the site that lists up the various supported cards?

Last edited by Dozer_Scope (2005-12-03 03:05:58)

Dozer_Scope
+0|6810
Or do you think that maybee the PSU is causing the problem? I found this in ha nVIDIA tweak guide:

"Nvidia strongly recommends that for recent graphics cards such as their 6800 and 7800 series your system should be equipped with a good-quality 480W or higher PSU"

I have a 300W PSU that came with my Chieftech, I have 2x harddrives going and 2 extra fans, could this cause some problems maybee?
bs6749
+3|6742

Dozer_Scope wrote:

Or do you think that maybee the PSU is causing the problem? I found this in ha nVIDIA tweak guide:

"Nvidia strongly recommends that for recent graphics cards such as their 6800 and 7800 series your system should be equipped with a good-quality 480W or higher PSU"

I have a 300W PSU that came with my Chieftech, I have 2x harddrives going and 2 extra fans, could this cause some problems maybee?
The power supply my very well indeed be your problem. I am not sure though.

Use this for the video card list.

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/ph … _topview=1

Buy a different PSU if you have the cash around... what are they like $35???

Last edited by bs6749 (2005-12-03 10:32:47)

Dozer_Scope
+0|6810
I think I am going to try a new PSU yes.

But that's another thing, the 6800XT is not listed up there, but almost anywhere I look for the 6800-series, I never find the XT version only the Ultra, GT, LE and so on. Is there any big difference between them that may cause the XT not to be compatible with bf?

Anyway, I'm going to try with another PSU, and I can tell you all if it worked or not:)
exar21
+0|6726
your graphics card should be compatible because its built using the same architecture as the gt/ultra/le for the most part i believe.  All of those cards run the NV40 or NV4x graphics chip, so try the power supply because 300 watts does seem a little low.  If your getting random reboots, which i think is what you said ur problem was, its more than likely the ram.  this has happened to me on 2 different machines with games other than BF2, both times I replaced the ram and that fixed it.  but then again low power could cause memory errors lol good luck
bs6749
+3|6742

Dozer_Scope wrote:

I think I am going to try a new PSU yes.

But that's another thing, the 6800XT is not listed up there, but almost anywhere I look for the 6800-series, I never find the XT version only the Ultra, GT, LE and so on. Is there any big difference between them that may cause the XT not to be compatible with bf?

Anyway, I'm going to try with another PSU, and I can tell you all if it worked or not:)
I am not sure you will need to ask someone that is an expert on video cards. I just know basic stuff but have been able to help people out mainly through my experiences.

It could be that the cards have slightly different specs where it counts so your card may not work whereas others in the series will.

Let me know how it turns out for you.
Dozer_Scope
+0|6810

exar21 wrote:

If your getting random reboots, which i think is what you said ur problem was, its more than likely the ram.  this has happened to me on 2 different machines with games other than BF2, both times I replaced the ram and that fixed it.  but then again low power could cause memory errors lol good luck
Well, I do'nt think it's the RAM, because I tried to play when I had removed the newly bought ram-chip, and the same thing happend, but I am ordering a new PSU now, and I'll get back to you all on how it goes:)
exar21
+0|6726
did u try taking out the old ram and just leaving the new stuff in, you prolly have but if you havent i would suggest it good luck with the psu man
sHaDy6
DEATH FROM ABOVE
+5|6727|USA

skanktank wrote:

First off i have the minimum requirements to run the game
well that could be a start
Schizferatu
+0|6718|West Central Indiana
In the readme it says to delete the
C:/My Documents/Battlefield2/profiles folder

This helped me when I 1st got BF2 and my Radeon 9200 wouldnt work. It's also what helped me when I just upgraded to a Radeon 850 xt.

****This does not erase your actual profile - it erases the Video settings profile****
IC_Draconis
+9|6716
Exactly..then it starts again with the minimal settings.

Keep in mind that after the latest patch even the strongest machines run BF2 slower than before.

Try to reduce your graphic settings....especially shadows.
Dozer_Scope
+0|6810
Well, it was indeed the PSU, I bought a brand new Hiper 525W PSU and now everything is working smoothly, now I can run the game at almost the highest settings and it's working perfectly So thanks for all you're help guys!
bs6749
+3|6742
Congratulations on fixing your problem. I am glad that everything worked out for you.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard