Psycho
Member since 2005
+44|6790|Kansas, USA
Funny how a thread like this goes on indefinitely without anyone actually addressing the topic because they are clouded by their own mypoic views. The topis was The Right to KEEP and BARE ARMS. What did the Fore Fathers Mean? Well, the fore father's aren't here to ask, but we can certainly make some insight into that question from some of the comments they said/wrote:

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

"What, Sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty .... Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins."
-- Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts, spoken during floor debate over the Second Amendment, I Annals of Congress at 750, August 17, 1789

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American...[T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
--Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
-- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no recourse left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government, and which against the usurpations of the national rulers may be exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those of the rulers of an individual State. In a single State, if the persons entrusted with supreme power become usurpers, the different parcels, subdivisions, or districts of which it consists, having no distinct government in each, can take no regular measures for defense. The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair.
-- Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 28

"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms ... "
-- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, at 86-87 (Pierce & Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
FeloniousMonk
+0|6749

AnarkyXtra wrote:

Where did I say anything about explosive decompression? I mentioned decompression in general, and the plane crashing elsewhere as a result of various people - the pilot being my main example - being killed.
So it's better that the plane crash into a skyscraper than somewhere else? It's better than people jsut sit back and let it happen instead of at least trying to stop it and having the right tools to do so? Decompression will not take a plane down so it doesn't matter how many holes end up in the plane. The pilots had already been killed; the fact that the terrorists were still alive instead of having been shot by armed passengers that allowed those planes to be used as weapons.

Well of course there will be. In a country where all guns are illegal, there will be more illegal guns. Because they're all illegal. Get it? That's the most ridiculous counter argument I've heard in a while.
Yeah I misworded that. The point is that your country is not safer because you have less guns. Your crime rates are not lower because you have fewer guns. In fact, the criminals that do have guns, like the IRA, would probably have a harder time murdering innocent civilians if your people had the balls to stand up and fight back with their own weapons. But nah, Brits like to sit back and let others do the hard work for them.

What, "Guns don't kill people - rappers do"? (a sly GLC reference for any Brits reading).

At the end of the day, what you're talking about is paranoia on a massive scale. The belief that you need to be armed in case your government fails you, or worse - turns on you. You need to be armed because your country might be invaded. You need to be armed because of the criminals out there with weapons.

I don't feel the need to have a gun, thanks very much. I can rest with this fact because a) I don't think my government's gonna turn on me; b) I doubt my country's gonna be invaded in this day and age (although that's exactly what the US have done elsewhere recently); and c) Criminals who use guns in this coutnry aren't common. Read what I said about the female police officer being shot.

Essentially, when you get down to it, your point is you don't trust your own country or it's inhabitants. You distrust them as much as you distrust some fictitious enemy army who's coming to get you. That's a pretty sad state of affairs.

We can go at this forever and neither of us will back down because of what we believe in. I've got to install this new BF2 patch and then try and get some sleep. I'll continue this in the morning, no doubt.
You call it massive paranoia, that's fine. I call yours delusional complacency. You live in a fantasy world if you think it's impossible for any government to avoid corruption and never turn tyrannical. You live in a fantasy world if you think that you're somehow safe from a criminal just because you live in a country that bans guns.

I don't care if you don't feel the need to have a gun. I'm not suggesting that you get one. I don't care if you own one or not. But there's no reason that your opinion should in any way restrict me from owning a gun. You don't think your government's going to turn on your or that your country will be invaded. YOu're probably right. In fact, it's highly unlikely that it will ever happen. But then again it was highly unlikely that an entire nation would VOTE for a homicidal maniac bent on exterminating an entire race...and it's happened multiple times in history.

If you want to pretend that the world is a happy place in which no one will ever try to hurt you, go ahead. I don't go out armed to the teeth and board up my windows so the government can't get in. But I exercise my rights for the sole reason that they're mine to exercise. Complacency is what led to the millions of deaths around the world caused by gun control.

*  In 1929 the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, approximately 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
    * In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915-1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
    * Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, 13 million Jews, gypsies, homosexuals, the mentally ill, and others, who were unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
    * China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
    * Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
    * Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
    * Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million "educated" people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
If I've gotten any of those figures wrong, please let me know and I'll correct the errors. Yeah, it's paranoia. But I'd rather have something and not need it than need it and not have it.
Hawk
+0|6755

KillerTroop 11th Cav Whit wrote:

OK BEAR and that is what this is for so if you have no opion then stop being a grammer girlyman.
He asked for a spelling. I complied.
FeloniousMonk
+0|6749

Horseman 77 wrote:

read this He invalidates his own  point.
What point did I invalidate?
FeloniousMonk
+0|6749
http://www.a-human-right.com/

https://www.a-human-right.com/s_comeback.jpg

https://www.a-human-right.com/s_advice.jpg

https://www.a-human-right.com/stopKKK_s.jpg

https://www.a-human-right.com/colors4_s.jpg

https://www.a-human-right.com/s_support.jpg

food for thought. more where that came from :p

Last edited by FeloniousMonk (2005-11-22 15:22:55)

SysTray
"Generous mods" < Thats right Systray !
+180|6835|Delaware

FeloniousMonk wrote:

SysTray wrote:

Did I say that carjacking was a myth? I merely stated that crajacking was not a reason giving to us by the Constitution to bare arms. When the forefathers said one thing I'm pretty sure they meant one thing. No one can really go back in time and ask them, but there were no cars back in the day, so why would they have wanted us to protect ourselves from it? Carriage-jackers? No.

The reason for the amendment. I.E. The purpose behind making it. The sole purpose. Nothing further.

I see the National Guard as a militia, don't you? They may be an actual organization, but do they go and fight our wars? No. They are here to protect us. We are also entitles to protect ourselves from the grievances stated in the Declaration of Independence. Constitution=Right. You=wrong. No one twists and bends the other amendments to the extent of this one. I don't see why they should bend this one either. MILITIA, people, not huntin'.
So you think that the founders wanted us to protect ourselves from the government and foreign enemies.....but not from criminals in our own country? Wtf man, are you serious?

No, it's not the sole purpose. That's not what the ammendment says. It doesn't restrict it to one purpose in any way. It merely states a reason they're protecting that right. Remember, the right to bear arms is not GRANTED by the Constitution, it's PROTECTED by it. None of the rights are granted; they are rights that we are inherently born with. The right to protect onesself is inherent to human existence.

I'm wrong? Sorry dude, but you're the one disagreeing with the Constitution. "The right to bear arms shall not be infringed." Says it right there. It doesn't say "The right to bear arms shall not be infringed ONLY for the purpose of a militia." You're the one misreading it.

Besides, what are people supposed to hunt with if not guns? Bows and arrows? That's ridiculously inefficient these days.
Here's a crazy thought: Aren't we supposed to be the most superior country? The whole idea of protecting ourselves from crime comes after the fact that there shouldn't be crime in the first place. Use your gun not for robbing a grocery store, but for defense against you being robbed of your freedom. Crime was 1/1000th of what it is now back in the 1780s. That's not what was on their minds when they devised this.

Does it state that they are protecting that right for any other reason? No. That's the sole reason that Amendment exists. If we did not NEED a militia to keep the government in check we probably wouldn't be any more than an English subject right now because King George wouldn't have been oppresive and tyrannical. The damn thing exists so that we, as a people, can overthrow the government if need be. You can use something other than a gun in every other circumstance.

Yes, you're wrong.

Hunting: The Native Americans (not Indians, Ghandi was not Cherokee) were avid hunters-better than we will ever be. They didn't start using guns until we came along. The Native Americans were a pleasant group amongst themselves with little crime and little chaos. They used knives and bows. We gave them guns, there are now about 3 of them left in South Dakota somewhere. (that was not meant to be racist)

Therefore I conclude that you lose.
Yellow 13
+2|6748|Plano Texas
The fore father should have said bare guns
SysTray
+180|6835|Delaware

Yellow 13 wrote:

The fore father should have said bare guns
Yes, I always get my rights to own a pistol and my rights to own a nuclear warhead mixed up. You're right. "Arms" is way too vague.
FeloniousMonk
+0|6749

SysTray wrote:

Here's a crazy thought: Aren't we supposed to be the most superior country? The whole idea of protecting ourselves from crime comes after the fact that there shouldn't be crime in the first place. Use your gun not for robbing a grocery store, but for defense against you being robbed of your freedom. Crime was 1/1000th of what it is now back in the 1780s. That's not what was on their minds when they devised this.

Does it state that they are protecting that right for any other reason? No. That's the sole reason that Amendment exists. If we did not NEED a militia to keep the government in check we probably wouldn't be any more than an English subject right now because King George wouldn't have been oppresive and tyrannical. The damn thing exists so that we, as a people, can overthrow the government if need be. You can use something other than a gun in every other circumstance.

Yes, you're wrong.

Hunting: The Native Americans (not Indians, Ghandi was not Cherokee) were avid hunters-better than we will ever be. They didn't start using guns until we came along. The Native Americans were a pleasant group amongst themselves with little crime and little chaos. They used knives and bows. We gave them guns, there are now about 3 of them left in South Dakota somewhere. (that was not meant to be racist)

Therefore I conclude that you lose.
You're not very good at conclusions then. First of all I would dare you to back up your claim that crime was a thousandth of what it is today. They didn't have crime in the 1700s? They didn't have murder and rape and robbery? Have you ever heard of the "wild west"?

What was on their minds is that the right to bear arms should not be taken away from people. For any reason. It doesn't matter if someone wants a gun to protect against the government or a criminal, to hunt, or just to rub on their nipples while singing Hotel California. All that matters is that "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Take a grammar lesson and learn that a modifier is not a restrictive clause.

I believe I know the difference between an Indian and a native american...though I only use the term "native american" to avoid confusion. Even that level of political correctness is retarded, in my opinion.

Little crime and little chaos???? Son, you obviously know nothing of native american history. There was plenty of infighting between tribes long before the white man ever came along. The Europeans didn't bring violence to north america, they just made it more efficient. A pleasant people....HA! No more or less than anyone else in any other part of the world. Don't delude yourself and fantasize that the natives were or are this wonderful spiritual people with no sense of evil and no inclination toward violence and war and murder and rape and kidnapping and robbery and every other heinous crime you can think of.

So you really think that people shouldn't be allowed to use guns to defend themselves against criminals?
AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
+67|6802|Hanging onto the UAV
I showed those pictures to my friends, along with your counterarguments. They laughed a bit and kinda went "Ah. I can see why they're like that now, if that's the way they think".  Then they said "I wonder why they can't even bring themselves to consider your viewpoint?" It's beyond me, too.

If you're happy living in paranoia, go ahead. I feel positively Zen-like compared to you. And as for the comment about the Brits letting others do the work for them? You wouldn't even be here if it weren't for us.

Finally, I looked up some statistics from the Home Office and the BBC. Last year's gun-related deaths figures in the UK stand at a staggering....42 deaths. The US figures were at around 30,000 deaths. A year ealier, between 2003 and 2004, the figure was slightly higher: a total of 858 deaths in the UK were recorded as homicide. That figure alone is fairly low - certainly by US standards. The interesting fact, though, is the percentage of that figure which were gun-related homicides: a huge 9% (around 77 ). So it seems gun crime deaths are falling at an exponential rate, as in 2001/2 gun-related deaths were around 15% of all homicides.

Additionally, last year, the overall percentage of crimes committed using a firearm stands at 0.4%, or 1 in every 250 crimes. On top of that, half of all offences committed using a firearm were actually 'air' weapons (single-shot airguns which fire pellets) rather than proper firearms.

Last edited by AnarkyXtra (2005-11-23 01:42:10)

FeloniousMonk
+0|6749

AnarkyXtra wrote:

I showed those pictures to my friends, along with your counterarguments. They laughed a bit and kinda went "Ah. I can see why they're like that now, if that's the way they think".  Then they said "I wonder why they can't even bring themselves to consider your viewpoint?" It's beyond me, too.

If you're happy living in paranoia, go ahead. I feel positively Zen-like compared to you. And as for the comment about the Brits letting others do the work for them? You wouldn't even be here if it weren't for us.

Finally, I looked up some statistics from the Home Office and the BBC. Last year's gun-related deaths figures in the UK stand at a staggering....42 deaths. The US figures were at around 30,000 deaths. A year ealier, between 2003 and 2004, the figure was slightly higher: a total of 858 deaths in the UK were recorded as homicide. That figure alone is fairly low - certainly by US standards. The interesting fact, though, is the percentage of that figure which were gun-related homicides: a huge 9% (around 77 ). So it seems gun crime deaths are falling at an exponential rate, as in 2001/2 gun-related deaths were around 15% of all homicides.

Additionally, last year, the overall percentage of crimes committed using a firearm stands at 0.4%, or 1 in every 250 crimes. On top of that, half of all offences committed using a firearm were actually 'air' weapons (single-shot airguns which fire pellets) rather than proper firearms.
Can't bring myself to consider your viewpoint? Believe me, I've considered it. I used to be very anti-gun until I realized why they exist and before I stopped living in the fantasy world in which people fool themselves into believing that they can make guns disappear. How many time do I have to remind you that you cannot UNINVENT the technology to create firearms? You can shut down every manufacturer and make them illegal in every place in the world but there will always be criminals who don't follow the rules and will make guns. Always. It's an undeniable fact of human nature that we are a territorial, violent species that only reigns dominant because of our ability to use technology to overpower our predators.

I don't live in paranoia. I live comforted by the fact that I have a fighting chance in case the very small possibility of someone ever trying to hurt me turns into reality. If I'm mugged on the way home from work, I have a way to defend myself. If you're mugged, you have nothing. If my sister's house is broken into she has a gun in her nightstand and the training necessary to take out the aggressor...if someone breaks into your mother's house, she's at the whim of a rapist.

Granted that's a little dramatic but to think that because something is unlikely makes it impossible is lunacy.

Also, of those 30,000 deaths over half were criminals killed in the commission of a crime. Should I remind you, yet again, that 2.5 million crimes a year are [b]prevented[/] in this country by guns? I guess you keep forgetting that. The problem is lack of proper training and responsibility in many gun owners, not the guns themselves.

Yeah, ask Ghandi if he was paranoid when he stated that the act of disarming a nation was the worst atrocity of British rule. Also, would you mind posting the link where you got the crime stats? I've got some very interesting information for you that shows why UK crime stats are grossly unreliable.
FeloniousMonk
+0|6749
https://www.a-human-right.com/history_s.jpg

https://www.a-human-right.com/s_monopoly.jpg

https://www.a-human-right.com/predict2_s.jpg

https://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/albums/arms/freedom.sized.jpg

https://www.a-human-right.com/sm_agency.JPG

https://www.a-human-right.com/panther_s.jpg

How many of you can tell me that you know the future? Who here can tell me with absolute certainty that nothing like this will ever happen again? Paranoia? Sure, Einstein was pretty paranoid when he escaped Germany knowing full well what was going to happen.
SysTray
+180|6835|Delaware

FeloniousMonk wrote:

You're not very good at conclusions then. First of all I would dare you to back up your claim that crime was a thousandth of what it is today. They didn't have crime in the 1700s? They didn't have murder and rape and robbery? Have you ever heard of the "wild west"?

What was on their minds is that the right to bear arms should not be taken away from people. For any reason. It doesn't matter if someone wants a gun to protect against the government or a criminal, to hunt, or just to rub on their nipples while singing Hotel California. All that matters is that "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Take a grammar lesson and learn that a modifier is not a restrictive clause.

I believe I know the difference between an Indian and a native american...though I only use the term "native american" to avoid confusion. Even that level of political correctness is retarded, in my opinion.

Little crime and little chaos???? Son, you obviously know nothing of native american history. There was plenty of infighting between tribes long before the white man ever came along. The Europeans didn't bring violence to north america, they just made it more efficient. A pleasant people....HA! No more or less than anyone else in any other part of the world. Don't delude yourself and fantasize that the natives were or are this wonderful spiritual people with no sense of evil and no inclination toward violence and war and murder and rape and kidnapping and robbery and every other heinous crime you can think of.

So you really think that people shouldn't be allowed to use guns to defend themselves against criminals?
First off, the "Wild west" you're referring to was mid-1800s, not late 1700s.. California Gold Rush, Transcontinental Railroad, Civil War. That era. So yes, in the 1700s there wasless crime, by a lot. Maybe 1/1000th was exxagerated, but it's certainly nowhere near the same.

To rub on their nipples and sing Hotel California? A song made in the 1780s? Naw, can't be. THE ONLY THING ON THE FOUNDING FATHERS' MINDS WAS TO KEEP THE GOVERNMENT IN CHECK. NO OTHER IMPORTANT USE FOR GUNS EXISTED. They were thinking that and only that, therefore they meant that and only that. Yes, people hunted back then. They didn't give two shits. Especially now since all I have to do for my fresh meat is to drive two miles down the road to Acme and buy up some pre-packaged beefy goodness.

They didn't mean for every Joe and his mom to have a gun so they could go huntin' or so they could rob the Acme where I buy my beef. But with the wording they used they made people believe that was the use (yourself included). You're the one that needs to learn something m'friend. Grammar isn't your issue; it's interpretation.

Being politically correct has nothing to do with it. I don't call Ghandi an Apache, you don't call Sitting Bull a native of Calcutta. Period.

On a side note: I'm not your son.

I know nothing of Native American history? Everyone and their pets have to know something. I'm sure you did a diorama in 3rd grade on the Battle of Little Bighorn. Yes, ok. It's the nature of humans as a species to be different. If I go to high school again, and I'm a freshman, I'm probably going to get beat up by a senior. If you're an Iroquois, you're probably going to be picked on by some Lenape. Everyone has quarrels you noob. Buddha sure as hell has some fights with his dad for the first 19 years of his life seeing as he never left his palace. This is not the point. The white man brought guns to the Natives. The Native culture barely exists beyond a few reservations now. See a connection? They fought amongst themselves more than ever because of our gunpowder and now what? They aren't a major part of society; that's for sure. They were more peaceful than us, and idiot that's ever watched the history channel for a day knows that. That was little crime and little chaos. Go walk into a tribe one day and see what goes on. (oh wait, you can't, my bad) Provided you find one, you'll see that they are harvesting some corn and not murdering someone for some corn.

I think that if everyone used guns for militia purposes and only militia purposes that we wouldn't have to carry a pistol in our glove compartment for protection from a pistol in someone else's glove compartment. If the criminal didn't have a gun, I'm sure a couple civilians could kick his ass. But he does have a gun because our forefathers told him he was free if he had one. No. He just misinterpreted it, just like you.
Hakula
+1|6759|Turku - Finland
Just sometimes I'm happy that I don't live in US. Especially why peopple start to talk about guns. And what did your fore fathers mean by the right to bare arms? Did they mean a .50CAL sniper rifle for home protection or a mortar to protect your corn fields? Where do you draw the line? Ins't enough enough... you should realy think where do you realy need your guns. I mean if you like shooting thats fime bye a gun and shoot with it but for home or self protection? Doesnt a tear gas or pepperspray take the attacker down? Here thay are enough so whats the problem there?
AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
I don't believe that we can uninvent guns. I've never said that, and don't need reminding. And of course criminals don't follow the rules - that's rather the definition of a criminal. What you have, though, is a country full of guns: even if you wanted to try and outlaw them - even restrict them somehow - you're fucked. At least in this country we have fewer of them to make them less of a problem: and they are less of a problem.

And you do live in paranoia. You even admitted it a few posts ago.

FeloniousMonk wrote:

Yeah, it's paranoia. But I'd rather have something and not need it than need it and not have it.
All of your justifications are based on it.

Just out of curiosity, which state do you live in? One which allows you to carry a firearm around with you wherever you go?

I'm sure you do have some interesting little tit-bit of information about how our crime stats are unreliable. I knew you would. Yet you rely on some source for your quoted stats too, though. And if I were the administration in your country, I'd probably want to lie about the actual number of deaths by firearms.

In any case, here's the link: - link -

Go on. Tell me they're all wrong and covered up. Not at all like yours, which are all reported by wholesome and truthful people, who'd never lie.
FeloniousMonk
+0|6749

Hakula wrote:

Just sometimes I'm happy that I don't live in US. Especially why peopple start to talk about guns. And what did your fore fathers mean by the right to bare arms? Did they mean a .50CAL sniper rifle for home protection or a mortar to protect your corn fields? Where do you draw the line? Ins't enough enough... you should realy think where do you realy need your guns. I mean if you like shooting thats fime bye a gun and shoot with it but for home or self protection? Doesnt a tear gas or pepperspray take the attacker down? Here thay are enough so whats the problem there?
I've gotta get to a dentist appointment so I'll reply to the other two guys later but I wanted to make a quick comment about this.

First of all, tear gas and pepper spray are not as effective as bullets. Plain and simple, if a woman wants to protect herself from a rapist she will probably want the most effective tools with which to do so.

Of course they didn't mean .50cal rifles because they didn't have those. But does that mean that the first ammendment's protection of the freedom of speech only extends to quills and paper? They didn't specifically mention computers and public access television so I guess those shouldn't be protected forms of free speech, right?

What the framers meant when they wrote the Constitution was that the right to bear arms wouldn't be infringed. The guy up there seems to think that there's some invisible ink on the document that somehow tells us that it's only for the use of militias but I think he just lacks the ability to interpret a simple sentence.
Hakula
+1|6759|Turku - Finland

FeloniousMonk wrote:

First of all, tear gas and pepper spray are not as effective as bullets. Plain and simple, if a woman wants to protect herself from a rapist she will probably want the most effective tools with which to do so.

Of course they didn't mean .50cal rifles because they didn't have those. But does that mean that the first ammendment's protection of the freedom of speech only extends to quills and paper? They didn't specifically mention computers and public access television so I guess those shouldn't be protected forms of free speech, right?

What the framers meant when they wrote the Constitution was that the right to bear arms wouldn't be infringed. The guy up there seems to think that there's some invisible ink on the document that somehow tells us that it's only for the use of militias but I think he just lacks the ability to interpret a simple sentence.
Good answer but tear gas takes about 5sec to effect and pepper spray takes about 3sec to every one and the effect will last log enough. So if you would have a choice to take a pistol/gun/etc or a gas or pepper spay why would you take the gun?
Gun kills people and a miss fired round can always kill a nearby human. What if the raper takes the gun from you and then rapes you holding the gun in you mouth? After that he could kill you or not but most certainly he steals the gun and rapes again. So why don't you find another solution to these problems than guns. Like making new laws that gives the right to cut of the genitals of the rapers.

Last edited by Hakula (2005-11-23 08:24:57)

SysTray
+180|6835|Delaware

FeloniousMonk wrote:

Read this paragraph and tell me if it has anything to do with other than a militia:

"In United States v. Miller,4 the Court sustained a statute requiring registration under the National Firearms Act of sawed-off shotguns. After reciting the original provisions of the Constitution dealing with the militia, the Court observed that ''[w]ith obvious purpose to assure the continuation and render possible the effectiveness of such forces the declaration and guarantee of the Second Amendment were made. It must be interpreted with that end in view.''5 The significance of the militia, the Court continued, was that it was composed of ''civilians primarily, soldiers on occasion.'' It was upon this force that the States could rely for defense and securing of the laws, on a force that ''comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense,'' who, ''when called for service . . . were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time.''6 Therefore, ''n the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a 'shotgun having a barrel of less than 18 inches in length' at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well- regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment or that its use could contribute to the common defense.''7

thesis whereby it is said the purpose of the clause is to protect the States in their authority to maintain formal, organized militia units"

"The Supreme Court has given effect to the dependent clause of the Amendment in the only case in which it has tested a congressional enactment against the constitutional prohibition, seeming to affirm individual protection but [i]only in the context of the maintenance of a militia or other such public force."

Not to go huntin' or to shoot the local robber.

Last edited by SysTray (2005-11-23 08:27:54)

KillerTroop 11th Cav Whit
+0|6755|Fort Worth, Texas
The Brits remember the saying "The British are coming?" You go ahead and take a chance walking down the street with your kids and wife to run in to the "No Crimes because no one is allowed guns" and get the crook who is not allowed to take everything from you. Because of my Concealed carry Lic. I can and do walk where I want and when and with who ever I want. But do I go intentionally to known crime areas? NO. Also with my concealed carry this is how I look at it, if the crook is hurting someone else I probably would not react but if he comes towards me I will. The reason I say this is because our Great country gives Everyone the right to carry if they have been cleared buy the Government both State and Federal. so they should have gotten a Lic. I am not a killer but I will not be killed by some ass who is a killer. God Bless AMERICA and if you do not like it Get the F- - - - out.
AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin

KillerTroop 11th Cav Whit wrote:

...a lot of useless bollocks...
Ad hominem here we come:

All of your posts in this debate thus far have been retarded.  Regardless of whether I agree with them or not, at least Felonious Monk has points to make and backs them up with good arguments. YOU on the other hand are jumping on the bandwagon and talking a load of bullshit. Get back into school and shut the fuck up.
FeloniousMonk
+0|6749

AnarkyXtra wrote:

I don't believe that we can uninvent guns. I've never said that, and don't need reminding. And of course criminals don't follow the rules - that's rather the definition of a criminal. What you have, though, is a country full of guns: even if you wanted to try and outlaw them - even restrict them somehow - you're fucked. At least in this country we have fewer of them to make them less of a problem: and they are less of a problem.
Yes, they're also less of a problem for the criminals. In your country robbers, murderers, and rapists know that you probably don't have a gun in your home. In this country it gives them something else to worry about.

Why again should I not be allowed to protect my family if someone breaks in? What would you do if someone broke in and threatened to kill your family? What could you do? Call the police and wait fifteen minutes for someone to show up? Or would you rather have a means to eliminate the threat?
And you do live in paranoia. You even admitted it a few posts ago.
Actually it was a sarcastic comment. I don't consider it paranoia, you do. I consider it common sense. Human beings are not peaceful creatures.
All of your justifications are based on it.

Just out of curiosity, which state do you live in? One which allows you to carry a firearm around with you wherever you go?
Illinois and no, I'm not allowed to carry my weapon on me. Oh yeah, Chicago enacted stricter gun control laws for within the city and the crime rate went up again. Oh yeah, gun control works real well.

I'm sure you do have some interesting little tit-bit of information about how our crime stats are unreliable. I knew you would. Yet you rely on some source for your quoted stats too, though. And if I were the administration in your country, I'd probably want to lie about the actual number of deaths by firearms.

In any case, here's the link: - link -

Go on. Tell me they're all wrong and covered up. Not at all like yours, which are all reported by wholesome and truthful people, who'd never lie.
Never said anything about covered up nor that my stats are any more honest. The simple fact is that the Home Office and the police are frequently at odds over the method in which they report gun crime statistics.

Comparing
crime rates
between America
and Britain is
flawed. In
America, a gun
crime is recorded
as a gun crime. In Britain, a crime is only recorded when there is a final disposition (a
conviction). All unsolved gun crimes in Britain are not reported as gun crimes, grossly
undercounting the amount of gun crime there. 260

260 Gallant, Hills, Kopel, “Fear in Britain”, Independence Institute, July 18, 2000
Street
robberies soared
28% in 2001.
Violent crime was
up 11%, murders
up 4%, and rapes
are up 14%.259

259 British Home Office, reported by BBC news, July 12, 2002
In addition, the BCS doesn't report gun crimes commited by minors while the police does. The BCS also doesn't report gun crimes when the victim of the shooting was shot in the commission of a crime.

But you go ahead, believe that you're safer because a cop scarfing a scone two miles away can protect you better than you can protect yourself. I ask again, what would you do if someone broke into your home and decided to rape you?
FeloniousMonk
+0|6749

SysTray wrote:

First off, the "Wild west" you're referring to was mid-1800s, not late 1700s.. California Gold Rush, Transcontinental Railroad, Civil War. That era. So yes, in the 1700s there wasless crime, by a lot. Maybe 1/1000th was exxagerated, but it's certainly nowhere near the same.
Prove that there was less crime. Considering the lack of decent record keeping it's impossible to know whether or not there was MORE crime in those days. Sure they didn't have carjackings and identity theft but murders, rapes, and robberies were no less prevalent in any time in history in accordance with the population of the time.

So if you can show me that crime was nowhere near the same, please do so.

To rub on their nipples and sing Hotel California? A song made in the 1780s? Naw, can't be. THE ONLY THING ON THE FOUNDING FATHERS' MINDS WAS TO KEEP THE GOVERNMENT IN CHECK. NO OTHER IMPORTANT USE FOR GUNS EXISTED. They were thinking that and only that, therefore they meant that and only that. Yes, people hunted back then. They didn't give two shits. Especially now since all I have to do for my fresh meat is to drive two miles down the road to Acme and buy up some pre-packaged beefy goodness.

They didn't mean for every Joe and his mom to have a gun so they could go huntin' or so they could rob the Acme where I buy my beef. But with the wording they used they made people believe that was the use (yourself included). You're the one that needs to learn something m'friend. Grammar isn't your issue; it's interpretation.

Being politically correct has nothing to do with it. I don't call Ghandi an Apache, you don't call Sitting Bull a native of Calcutta. Period.

On a side note: I'm not your son.

I know nothing of Native American history? Everyone and their pets have to know something. I'm sure you did a diorama in 3rd grade on the Battle of Little Bighorn. Yes, ok. It's the nature of humans as a species to be different. If I go to high school again, and I'm a freshman, I'm probably going to get beat up by a senior. If you're an Iroquois, you're probably going to be picked on by some Lenape. Everyone has quarrels you noob. Buddha sure as hell has some fights with his dad for the first 19 years of his life seeing as he never left his palace. This is not the point. The white man brought guns to the Natives. The Native culture barely exists beyond a few reservations now. See a connection? They fought amongst themselves more than ever because of our gunpowder and now what? They aren't a major part of society; that's for sure. They were more peaceful than us, and idiot that's ever watched the history channel for a day knows that. That was little crime and little chaos. Go walk into a tribe one day and see what goes on. (oh wait, you can't, my bad) Provided you find one, you'll see that they are harvesting some corn and not murdering someone for some corn.

I think that if everyone used guns for militia purposes and only militia purposes that we wouldn't have to carry a pistol in our glove compartment for protection from a pistol in someone else's glove compartment. If the criminal didn't have a gun, I'm sure a couple civilians could kick his ass. But he does have a gun because our forefathers told him he was free if he had one. No. He just misinterpreted it, just like you.
I have to see this again.

THE ONLY THING ON THE FOUNDING FATHERS' MINDS WAS TO KEEP THE GOVERNMENT IN CHECK. NO OTHER IMPORTANT USE FOR GUNS EXISTED.
I truly feel sorry for you, I really do. The statement alone is naive but the fact that you actually believe it with such passion is hilarious. Yeah, the framers just wanted people to fight the government, not protect themselves against criminals in their own areas. Simply brilliant, man.

SysTray wrote:

Read this paragraph and tell me if it has anything to do with other than a militia:

"In United States v. Miller,4 the Court sustained a statute requiring registration under the National Firearms Act of sawed-off shotguns. After reciting the original provisions of the Constitution dealing with the militia, the Court observed that ''[w]ith obvious purpose to assure the continuation and render possible the effectiveness of such forces the declaration and guarantee of the Second Amendment were made. It must be interpreted with that end in view.''5 The significance of the militia, the Court continued, was that it was composed of ''civilians primarily, soldiers on occasion.'' It was upon this force that the States could rely for defense and securing of the laws, on a force that ''comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense,'' who, ''when called for service . . . were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time.''6 Therefore, ''n the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a 'shotgun having a barrel of less than 18 inches in length' at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well- regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment or that its use could contribute to the common defense.''7

thesis whereby it is said the purpose of the clause is to protect the States in their authority to maintain formal, organized militia units"

"The Supreme Court has given effect to the dependent clause of the Amendment in the only case in which it has tested a congressional enactment against the constitutional prohibition, seeming to affirm individual protection but [i]only in the context of the maintenance of a militia or other such public force."

Not to go huntin' or to shoot the local robber.
Myth: U.S. v. Miller said that the Second Amendment is not
an individual right
Fact: The Miller case specifically held that specific types of guns might be protected by
the Second Amendment. It depended on whether a gun had militia use, and the court
wanted evidence presented confirming that citizens have a right to military style
weapons. Since no evidence was taken at the trial level in lower courts, they remanded
the case for a new trial. Specifically the court said:
"The signification attributed to the term Militia appears from the debates in the
Convention, the history and legislation of Colonies and States, and the writings of
approved commentators. These show plainly enough that the Militia comprised
all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense. "A
body of citizens enrolled for military discipline." And further, that ordinarily when
called for service these men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by
themselves and of the kind in common use at the time."
“In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a
‘shotgun having a barrel of less than 18 inches in length’ at this time has some
reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well-regulated
militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep
and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this
weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment or that its use could
contribute to the common defense.”
Fact: Even the US government agreed. Here are some sentences from the brief filed
by the government in the appeal to the Supreme Court:
“The Second Amendment does not grant to the people the right to keep and bear
arms, but merely recognizes the prior existence of that right and prohibits its
infringement by Congress.”
“The "arms" referred to in the Second Amendment are, moreover, those which
ordinarily are used for military or public defense purposes . . .”
“The Second Amendment does not confer upon the people the right to keep and
bear arms; it is one of the provisions of the Constitution which, recognizing the
prior existence of a certain right, declares that it shall not be infringed by
Congress. Thus the right to keep and bear arms is not a right granted by the
Constitution and therefore is not dependant upon that instrument for its source.”
Gun Facts Version 4.0 Page 59
Copyright 2004, Guy Smith www.GunFacts.info All Rights Reserved
Fact: The federal 8th Court of Appeals holds that the Miller case protects an individual
right to keep and bear arms. “Although an individual's right to bear arms is
constitutionally protected, see United States v. Miller . . .”306
Fact: Federal courts reject the myth. “We conclude that Miller does not support the
[government's] collective rights or sophisticated collective rights approach to the Second
Amendment.” 307 They continue, “There is no evidence in the text of the Second
Amendment, or any other part of the Constitution, that the words ‘we the people’ have a
different connotation within the Second Amendment than when employed elsewhere . .
.”.
Summary of various court decisions concerning gun
rights
DECISIONS THAT EXPLICITLY RECOGNIZED THAT THE SECOND AMENDMENT GUARANTEES AN
INDIVIDUAL RIGHT TO PURCHASE, POSSESS OR CARRY FIREARMS, AND IT LIMITS THE AUTHORITY
OF BOTH FEDERAL AND STATE GOVERNMENTS:
• U.S. vs. Emerson, 5 Fed (1999), confirmed an individual right requiring
compelling government interest for regulation.
• Nunn v. State, 1 Ga. 243, 250, 251 (1846) (struck down a ban on sale of small,
easily concealed handguns as violating Second Amendment);
• State v. Chandler, 5 La.An. 489, 490, 491 (1850) (upheld a ban on concealed
carry, but acknowledged that open carry was protected by Second Amendment);
• Smith v. State, 11 La.An. 633, 634 (1856) (upheld a ban on concealed carry, but
recognized as protected by Second Amendment "arms there spoken of are such
as are borne by a people in war, or at least carried openly");
• State v. Jumel, 13 La.An. 399, 400 (1858) (upheld a ban on concealed carry, but
acknowledged a Second Amendment right to carry openly);
• Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, 401, 402 (1859) (upheld an enhanced penalty for
manslaughter with a Bowie knife, but acknowledged that the Second Amendment
guaranteed an individual right to possess arms for collective overthrow of the
government);
• In Re Brickey, 8 Ida. 597, 70 Pac. 609, 101 Am.St.Rep. 215, 216 (1902) (struck
down a ban on open carry of a revolver in Lewiston, Idaho as violating both
Second Amendment and Idaho Const. guarantee);
• State v. Hart, 66 Ida. 217, 157 P.2d 72 (1945) (upheld a ban on concealed carry
as long as open carry was allowed based on both Second Amendment and Idaho
Const. guarantee);
• State v. Nickerson, 126 Mont. 157, 166 (1952) (striking down a conviction for
assault with a deadly weapon, acknowledging a right to carry based on Second
Amendment and Montana Const. guarantee).
306 U.S. v. Hutzel, 8 Iowa, No. 99-3719
307 U.S. v. Emerson, 5th court of Appeals decision, November 2, 2001, No. 99-10331
Gun Facts Version 4.0 Page 60
• U.S. v. Hutzell, 8 Iowa, 99-3719, (2000) (cite in dictum that "an individual's right
to keep and bear arms is constitutionally protected, see United States v. Miller,
307 U.S. 174, 178-79 (1939).").
DECISIONS THAT RECOGNIZED THE SECOND AMENDMENT GUARANTEES AN INDIVIDUAL RIGHT
TO POSSESS OR CARRY FIREARMS, BUT ONLY LIMITING THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT'S
AUTHORITY:
• U.S. v. Cruikshank, 92 U.S. 542, 552 (1876) (limiting use of the Enforcement Act
of 1870 so that Klansmen could not be punished for mass murder and disarming
of freedmen);
• State v. Workman, 35 W.Va. 367, 373 (1891) (upholding a ban on carry of
various concealable arms);
• State v. Kerner, 181 N.C. 574, 107 S.E. 222 (1921) (overturning a ban on open
carry of pistols based on North Carolina Const., but acknowledging Second
Amendment protected individual right from federal laws).
DECISIONS IN WHICH THE SECOND AMENDMENT WAS ARGUED OR RAISED AS A LIMITATION ON
STATE LAWS, AND IN WHICH THE COURT RULED THAT IT ONLY LIMITED THE FEDERAL
GOVERNMENT, TACITLY ACKNOWLEDGING THAT THE RIGHT WAS INDIVIDUAL IN NATURE:
• Andrews v. State, 3 Heisk. (50 Tenn.) 165, 172, 173 (1871);
• Fife v. State, 31 Ark. 455, 25 Am.Rep. 556, 557, 558 (1876); State v. Hill, 53 Ga.
472, 473, 474 (1874);
• Dunne v. People, 94 Ill. 120, 140, 141 (1879); Presser v. Illinois, 116 U.S. 252,
265, 266 (1886) (upholding a ban on armed bodies marching through the
streets);
• People v. Persce, 204 N.Y. 397, 403 (1912); In re Rameriz, 193 Cal. 633, 636,
226 P. 914 (1924) (upholding a ban on resident aliens possessing handguns).
DECISIONS IN WHICH THE SECOND AMENDMENT WAS IMPLIED TO GUARANTEE AN INDIVIDUAL
RIGHT, THOUGH UNCLEAR AS TO WHETHER IT LIMITED ONLY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OR
STATES AS WELL, BECAUSE THE TYPE OF ARM IN QUESTION WASN'T PROTECTED:
• English v. State, 35 Tex. 473, 476, 477 (1872)
• State v. Duke, 42 Tex. 455, 458, 459 (1875) (upholding a ban on carrying of
handguns, Bowie knives, sword-canes, spears, and brass knuckles);
• People v. Liss, 406 Ill. 419, 94 N.E.2d 320, 322, 323 (1950) (overturning a
conviction for carrying a concealed handgun and acknowledging that the right in
the Second Amendment was individual);
• Guida v. Dier, 84 Misc.2d 110, 375 N.Y.S.2d 827, 828 (1975) (denying that
"concealable hand weapons" were protected by the Second Amendment, but
acknowledging that an individual right protects other firearms).
Gun Facts Version 4.0 Page 61
DECISIONS IN WHICH THE SECOND AMENDMENT HAS BEEN CLASSED WITH OTHER INDIVIDUAL
RIGHTS, WITH NO INDICATION THAT IT WAS NOT AN INDIVIDUAL RIGHT:
• Robertson v. Baldwin, 165 U.S. 275, 281, 282, 17 S.Ct. 826, 829 (1897); U.S.
v. Verdugo-Urquidez, 110 S.Ct. 1056, 1060, 1061 (1990).
DECISIONS THAT COULD HAVE BEEN VERY MUCH SHORTER IF THE COURT HAD SIMPLY DENIED
THAT THE SECOND AMENDMENT PROTECTED AN INDIVIDUAL RIGHT:
• U.S. v. Miller, 307 U.S. 174 (1939) (the Supreme Court upholding the National
Firearms Act of 1934, after district judge released defendants on the grounds that
it violated Second Amendment).
Learn a little bit about the law of the land before you try to claim that the Supreme Court has denied the individual right.

Do you seriously believe that the second ammendment exists so that people can shoot cops but not local robbers? Why should I not be allowed to shoot a person robbing me?
FeloniousMonk
+0|6749

Hakula wrote:

Good answer but tear gas takes about 5sec to effect and pepper spray takes about 3sec to every one and the effect will last log enough. So if you would have a choice to take a pistol/gun/etc or a gas or pepper spay why would you take the gun?
Gun kills people and a miss fired round can always kill a nearby human. What if the raper takes the gun from you and then rapes you holding the gun in you mouth? After that he could kill you or not but most certainly he steals the gun and rapes again. So why don't you find another solution to these problems than guns. Like making new laws that gives the right to cut of the genitals of the rapers.
Pepper spray is not always effective. I would much rather incapacitate a bad guy with a bullet than with a spray. There's a better chance for my survival. Period. That's all that matters; if someone is trying to hurt or kill me or someone else, they no longer deserve to live and if it means putting a bullet in someone's temple to keep him from raping a girl on the street, I'll do it without a moment's hesistation.

The rapist will be dead, the girl will be alive and healthy. I don't see a down side to this.

Yes, a misfired rounds can kill someone which is why training is important. We don't have a problem with cops running around with guns despite the fact that many amatuer shooters are far better trained than police officers. Private gun owners like to hit the range as often as possible, cops only do so when required.

I have no problem with the castration of rapists but I still believe that a woman should be allowed the chance to protect herself. If she just lays down and takes it then the criminal wins and there's a likely chance that he will rape again. If she manages to shoot a hole in his head then there's a much smaller chance that he'll rape again.
AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin

FeloniousMonk wrote:

Illinois and no, I'm not allowed to carry my weapon on me. Oh yeah, Chicago enacted stricter gun control laws for within the city and the crime rate went up again. Oh yeah, gun control works real well.
Then why, earlier, did you use the analogy of walking home and being mugged, and having something to defend yourself with? A minor point, but nevertheless.

The stuff about Chicago very neatly sums up my point about the fact that your country cannot enforce gun control now, simply because they're so widespread. You illustrate the point perfectly.

As that report link tells you, we don't have as much gun crime as you. And it's evident not necessarily through stats and crime reporting, but through simple observation - i refer to the headlines again. It simply isn't common.

I'll start supporting the need for civilians being armed the day it's proved to me it's necessary. You can dress up paranoia in any way you like: everyone I've shown this thread to has been astounded at your reasoning. I've managed to get this far in my life without needing a gun to feel safe, and I'm positive I'll continue not needing a gun. Ever. It's that mindset that separates us - not only as individuals, but as a nation.

It's almost like you're saying "Oh don't look at us as the gun crime nation: you do it too". Well yes - on a minute scale, comparatively. You seem to think that we have a far worse gun crime problem than we actually do. I actually live here (and have lived in a few places around the country), and I can tell you that we don't. I've never seen a real handgun or assault rifle being handled by anyone other than the police or Army. That's just the way it is.

So you can cling to your Independance Institute (whoever that is) report, and tell yourself that it's just as bad everywhere else. I can simply tell you that it's not.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6851
Its so bad in the U.S.A but everyone is trying to get here. The Crime and murders you hear about are crimanels killing each other. When a True innocent is killed it makes headlines. Police treat most drug related murders as a shooting into occupide clothing

Can you remember a few years back all European tourist were getting mugged and robbed in florida?

Heres why.

Cuban gangs were so out of control Florida's Legislaters finally allowed its citizens to carry concealed firearms. The Crimanals were suddenly in danger themselves. But they weren't dumb. they simply went to the airport and robbed people who had just been through a metal dictector.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard