siciliano732
+202|6640|New York
Hey everyone, i searched and found nothing....so here i go:

my motherboard has a pci-e 16x slot which my 7600 gt is plugged into....and my board has a 1x slot....am i able to buy another 7600gt per se and put it in the 1x slot and SLI the cards?

What is the point of these two different slots? can someone help me with both questions?  thanks.
InfectiousShadow
BF2S Resident Bass Player
+45|6422|Washington State, USA
well  dont think you can. the x1 and 16 mean the amount of pipelines or something, im not completely sure but you wont get the benefit of the 16 pipelines if you put the card in the x1 slot.
Hornet141
+1|6394|Missouri, USA
You need two PCI-e 16x slots to run in SLi mode.

The 1x slot is for network cards, SCSI cards, etc. and its really small.
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6743|Toronto, ON
PCI-E x1 means there is only one pair of differential signal (called lanes).
PCI-E x16 means there are 16 pairs.

Generally speaking, you cannot physically insert the card into a x1 slot because they are physically different in size.  Although you can tell the CMOS to degrade a x16 slot into using only one pair of differential signals, then you can technically put a x16 card into a x16 slot which only has an effective bandwidth of x1.

I worked in the PCI-Express team at ATI Technologies Inc. (Or AMD these days).
Alpha as fuck.
Reizors
Ninja's > BF2s
+42|6514|Australia
There is a shit radeon card that runs on PCI-E 1x, but its NOT for gaming.
siciliano732
+202|6640|New York
oh ok....so for cuz my 7600 gt is SLI ready but in order for me to do any SLI stuff...i need a new motherboard....correct?

I only ask about the 1x slot because i notice on the top of my gfx card there is a smaller piece that seems like it could fit in a 1x slot....so i was curious if thats how it worked.

Last edited by siciliano732 (2006-10-17 12:22:04)

The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6633|Deep In The South Of Texas

siciliano732 wrote:

oh ok....so for cuz my 7600 gt is SLI ready but in order for me to do any SLI stuff...i need a new motherboard....correct?

I only ask about the 1x slot because i notice on the top of my gfx card there is a smaller piece that seems like it could fit in a 1x slot....so i was curious if thats how it worked.
That connector on top is for the SLi bridge that connects the cards when running SLi.

https://media.hardwareanalysis.com/articles/small/11208.jpg
Hornet141
+1|6394|Missouri, USA
Ahh, I was just about to say that was the SLi bridge. It reminds me I need another 7900GT sometime soon.

But yes, siciliano732, it looks like you will need another motherboard.
siciliano732
+202|6640|New York
alright now i understand....thanks guys....i was all excited cuz i thought my board could support it....especially since i just bought it this summer....but for now till i can get money (christmas/summer) my computer is perfectly fine with me and does everything i need it to.

i guess im also alittle jealous cuz my cousin is droppin $1500 on his new computer....and im used to him havin better stuff than me but when i built my computer i have now....i actually had something better than him for once....oh well....thanks for the help fellas.

I thought when you SLI cards together, there was a cable, guess not. Im not very good with this stuff...although i built my computer myself.

Last edited by siciliano732 (2006-10-17 15:48:44)

Des.Kmal
+917|6609|Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Hornet141 wrote:

You need two PCI-e 16x slots to run in SLi mode.

The 1x slot is for network cards, SCSI cards, etc. and its really small.
i thought skuzzy(lol) was only hard drives...
Add me on Origin for Battlefield 4 fun: DesKmal

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard