zeidmaan
+234|6412|Vienna

hell I was bored

Arrow pointing towards the pods:

https://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/~e0126764/BF/BF2142%202006-10-15%2014-51-11-36.jpg

Pods close up:

https://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/~e0126764/BF/BF2142%202006-10-15%2014-51-21-75.jpg

and there are 3 more on the other side too. I just hate seeing people wait around for the transport when the titan is next to a silo.
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6643|Peoria
Also, note, not only are these good for boarding other titans/assaulting silos, BUT, you can also launch yourself onto your OWN titan, so you can attack the people assaulting you from behind. Also if you do this, try to land on any gunships parked on your titan, as it destroys them. You usually die in the process, but destroying the gunship and netting a few kills in the process is far worth it.
zeidmaan
+234|6412|Vienna

Best thing is landidng on PEOPLE.
With a litle bit of practice you can get realy good at it. SNIPERS BEWARE !!!!
Stags
+26|6653
Yup, love landing on people.  Landing on the top deck then dropping down the shaft and having you squad defend from there is amazing.  I did it by myself one round, no one joined my squad, and got 98 points.

Titan defense isn't hard.  Once, you get RDX and grenades it becomes even easier if you know how to stem the tide of boarding.  Placing RDX pack at the entrance to a hall and when they step in... boom.  Rinse and Repeat.  A lot of people also like stopping right at the door and try to "snipe" the defenders.  Grenades work very well here.  Also if this occurs, send someone to go around and flank them.

Also, camping on titan defense is what you have to do.  I hate when people call me a camper when I'm defending the titan.  What am I going to do, let you destroy my ship?

A more refined guide would be good.  You made very good and excellent points in you guide, especially for only writing it in 2 minutes.
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6643|Peoria

Stags wrote:

Also, camping on titan defense is what you have to do.  I hate when people call me a camper when I'm defending the titan.  What am I going to do, let you destroy my ship?
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20060826

LOL, this sums it up well.
Russkie17
+4|6458|Houston, Texas
In the beta, it was possible (at least for the EU that is) to take a pod directly to the first silo, often netting a missile launch within the first 1-2 minutes of the game.

I miss Verdun and my unlocks...
lowkee
+10|6401|Charlotte, NC
BATTLEFIELD 2142: TITAN MODE TUTORIAL
by Lowkee

Adapted from the orig mini-tutorial written by stryyker

What are Titans?

Titans are giant ships, originally designed to transport Battalions of troops across the battlefield. They are the battleships of their time. Titans are only found in Titan-Mode, as opposed to Assault-Mode.

Titan Mode Objective:

Your objective in Titan Mode is to destroy the enemy Titan ship. This is done using one of two methods explained below.

Titan Destruction:

Method 1:

There are various silos at strategic points around the map. These silos house the BLOC Anti Titan Missiles. Once you capture on of these silos, the launcher will automatically aim for the enemy titan. Controlling these launchers will eventually destroy an enemy Titan.

In order to gain control of a BLOC silo you must uplink to it. Uplinking is performed by simply moving your vehicle or person within a few meters of the silo itself. Once uplinked, you will slowly disable (if the silo is currently enemy controlled) and aim the silo at the enemy Titan ship. Just as in Battlefield 2, the more teammates near the silo the faster control over the silo is established.

In the beginning of a round it is vital to control as many silos as possible, as these silos are the only method to reduce the Titans' shields. Once the enemy Titan's shielding is disabled by the silos, you are free continue holding silos until the Titan is destroyed via BLOC missiles or by utilizing Method 2 below.

Method 2:

Similar to Method 1, Method 2 involves controlling enough launchers to disable the enemy Titan's shielding. This is where Method 2 parts ways, however. When the enemy Titan's shield is disabled, you may board the enemy Titan and destroy its core reactor from within.

Boarding an enemy Titan can be performed in one of three ways:

1. Using a transport ship, land on the rear section of the enemy Titan. Using this method is generally preferred, as the transport ships also double as a mobile spawn point for your teammates, allowing rapid respawn and a more aggressive assault stance on the enemy Titan.

2. Utilizing an APC launch pod. Each APC contains three launch pods able to 'eject' an occupant a short distance into the air.  In order to use a launch pod, you must be a passenger of the APC, not the driver OR the gunner. Launching yourself in a pod simply entails a right-click. Maneuvering a pod in mid air is performed the same way you would your soldier if he were on the ground, by using your movements keys. APCs, however, have a limited ejection distance, so the driver must maneuver the APC as close to the Titan as possible if you are to land ON the Titan. If you are piloting the APC, you can predict pod launch success by using the 'Titan launch success' HUD indicator located on the right side of the driver's HUD. This indicator resembles a vertical dotted line with a launch pod icon. The higher the icon on the vertical line, the greater chance of Titan boarding success.

3. Your own Titan's launch pods. Your own Titan contains six launch pods mounted, three per side, under the transport launch deck. Each launch pod has a large arrow pointing down hovering above the pod for easy discovery. These pods are not easily noticeable, however, as the arrows blend in with the walls of the Titan's launch bay, so look carefully. In order to enter the launch pod, walk near a pod and use your 'use' key, generally the 'E' key. Doing so will immediately launch you from your Titan high into the air. Using your movement keys you will be able to control the direction of the pod, to a various degree, and onto the enemy Titan. As with the APC launch pod method, your Titan must be close enough for the pod to reach the enemy Titan. Titan launch pods generally have 3-4 times the distance as an APC pod, so close proximity is not quite as important.

Once you have successfully landed on the enemy Titan, you now need to enter it. This is done using one of four entrances on the rear decks of the ship. The two upper deck 'drop holes' can be used to drop onto an upper balcony inside the hold (mainly used for prone supporting fire inside the hold), where the two lower deck doorways lead directly into the hold floor, allowing direct access to the four controls rooms.

How to destroy a Titan from within:

Destruction of a Titan from within is performed by destroying four control boards and the main reactor core. Seemingly a more time intensive operation than simply controlling BLOC missile silos, short order can be made of inner Titan destruction with the aid of a few fellow teammates.

Each control board is located within its own corridor inside the hull of the Titan. Control rooms 1 and 2 are located on the lower level of the cargo hold, where rooms 3 and 4 are located on the upper level. Destruction of the control boards is done by simply locating the control board of choice and firing a weapon at it (or using C4 if you have the unlock). Destruction of control boards 1 and 2 must be performed first, as the corridors for boards 3 and 4 are protected by a force field. These force fields will drop upon the destruction of boards 1 and 2.

Once all four control boards have been successfully destroyed, attention must be given to the main reactor room. This room is located in the far-center end of the cargo hold.

The main reactor core requires approximately as much enemy fire as all four control boards combines in order to destroy. It is also located within several small force fields, so be careful not to waste precious ammunition firing at a force field instead of directly at the core itself.

Once the core reactor has been destroyed, you will have 10-12 seconds to abandon the enemy Titan before the core reactor breaches and destroys the entire Titan. Escaping the Titan involves running onto the rear deck and parachuting to safety or, if you still have a transport ship on the rear deck, boarding your waiting transport and lifting off.. quickly. Extra points ARE awarded for successful Titan escape, so don't be lazy and await your inevitable fate.

Titan Defense:

Titan defense is of utmost importance in Titan-Mode, as losing your Titan spells an instant loss, no matter how many silos you control or men you have lost.

As with Titan destruction, Titan defense can be performed in one of two ways:

Method 1 - Outer-Titan Defense:

Defending the outer Titan using the Titan defense guns.

Located inside the launch deck towards the back wall are six control stations. Each one of the stations controls a single outer defense gun. Manning a control station is done by walking up to a specific station and pressing your 'use' key, a default of 'E'. Using a control station is done the same way your would use a vehicle gun.

There are two types of Titan guns:

1. Anti Infantry/Anti Vehicle Cannons - These four cannons, located on the underside of the Titan, fire a volley of explosive shells towards the ground. Control stations for these cannons are located, facing each other, on the center wall. These cannons are effective against APCs and low-flying airborne ships. These guns, however, are NOT very strong, so avoid wasting time attempting to single handedly destroy an enemy tank or mech, as these vehicles pose a limited threat to your Titan guns and are best dealt with using ground-based cannons.

2. AA Gatling Cannons - These two cannons, located on the very top of the Titan, fire a continuous barrage of chain gun fire. Control stations for these cannons are located on the outer wall of the launch deck. These chain guns are highly effective against high-flying airborne ships and are invaluable at preventing transport flyers from landing on the rear decks of your Titan while the shielding is down. These guns are only able to fire directly level with or higher than your Titan, making ground defense with these guns impossible. These guns are also nerfed by enemy Titan guns, so your brilliant idea of taking out the enemy Titan defenses using these guns will prove fruitless. A good tactic with these guns, however, is to shoot at enemy Titan guns in order to blind the operators, allowing friendly aircrafts to fly safely past the otherwise hostile enemy Titan.

Note: This Titan defense method should always be utilized while the Titan shielding is still active, as you are practically immune to attack during this time.

Method 2 - Console/Core Defense:

If the enemy has disabled your Titan's shielding via the BLOC missiles, Titan defense now becomes a more personal matter.

Defending the consoles inside your Titan is the most effective method of saving your Titan from a boarding assault. Console boards are located down long corridors and are easily fortified by a force as small as one prone support soldier. Obviously, the more soldiers you have defending a single corridor, the longer you will prevent access to your Titan's reactor room.

A good corridor defense team will include:

Recommended:
2 Support soldiers laying prone, preferably with a supply crate dispatched nearby
1-2 Assault soldiers for medical support (leave the gun firing to the men with machine guns)

Optional:
1 Recon with adaptive camo, for sneaking around and knifing enemy medics and snipers
1-2 Assault drones, used more to distract the enemy than kill the enemy, allowing support troops to live longer

It is up to you and your fellow defenders to protect the core of your Titan, so make sure that you know all of the critical choke points throughout the Titan and make sure you aren't coming to the battle unprepared. When defending against a full squad or two, high capacity automatic weapons are a must. Reloading after the first kill or two won't stop the remaining five men from shooting back.

Your objective in this Method is to repel the boarding invaders for as long as possible, allowing for either your teammates to board and destroy the enemy Titan from within or destroy the enemy Titan via the BLOC silos.

Titan Placement:

If you are commander, you have the ability to maneuver your team's Titan around the map. There are a few important when considering Titan placement:

- DO NOT lane-fire the ships (side to side). This makes your launch deck virtually useless, as enemy Titan defense guns will immediately destroy any aircraft as it leaves the flight deck.

- Rough terrain is your friend. Placing your Titan over rough terrain or near a friendly silo helps eliminate the threat of ground-based boarding by enemy soldiers. Defensive placement of your Titan may prevent offensive Titan turret use, but also allows for more targeted Titan defense (namely air defense).

- Keep it on your side of the map. The last thing you need is to shorten the distance between your enemy and your Titan.

Butting heads with an enemy Titan is sometimes a tempting move, as it makes for an intense round, but overall you are diminishing your chances of a win by a large amount. In Titan-Mode, you need all the advantages you can get.

Go get 'em, soldier!

- Lowkee
Stags
+26|6653
@Elamdri: That really does sums it up well.

Lowkee: good comprehensive guide. 

Yeah, I really want my unlocks.
.|microphage
+4|6629|Vancouver, BC
the cheapest way is to place (if you're the EU commander) the titan over the water - the lake. This is very strategic because 1. the enemy has to cross over rough terrain to reach the shore line and if possible get on the titan. If you place it right, the apcs pods can't reach your titan and only transport choppers can. 2. it provides great defense because the enemy can only attack you from 3 directions. and 3. it garuntee's you a win if a few ppl are willing to defend your titan.

edit. this is only for sidi powerplant cause i haven't seen the other maps yet

Last edited by .|microphage (2006-10-15 22:42:50)

BandoIruka
+1|6491
People tend to start forgetting about the missile silos once the enemy titan shields have dropped. If the defense is too hard to crack, go off and captures the silos instead. Its slower, but it makes defeat more inevitable to those defenders holed up protecting their consoles/core. More titan defenders = less silo cappers

With a good agressive assault, it will keep the enemy too busy to capture silos.
stkhoplite
Banned
+564|6476|Sheffield-England

stryyker wrote:

Titans are giant ships, originally designed to transport Batallions of troops across the battlefield.
They are the battleships of their time.
  In all Titan-enabled maps, there are various silos at strategic points around the map. These silos
house the BLOC Anti Titan Missiles. Once you capture on of these silos, the site will automatically re-adjust
to the enemy titan.

Attacking the enemy titan- Once the Titan shield is down, you can use the APC pod launchers, or gunships to
board. A smart squad leader will place a spawnbeacon on the titan, so that his squadmates will follow.
If the other team has setup a good defense, think of ways to flush out Machine Gun positions or snipers.
Make sure your squad has all the equipment needed for a prolonged assault.

A functioning squad should consist of:
1-2 Assault (with dephibs)
2 Supporters (heavy base of fire, crossfires at critical chokepoints)
1 Recon (with adaptive camo, for sneaking around and stabbiestabbie)
Engineers to ring, if you want the rockets.

The most important part of the assault is the consoles. Consoles give you access to the Reactor Core.
Once the reactor core is prone to attack, position your squad around the core. In the last minutes of the assault, make
sure that your squad defends from general defensive attacks, along with destroying the core. All the mean while getting
Titan attack points.

Once the core goes fizzle-fizzle, run off the edge of the Titan, and get a shiney award! ^_^

Defending your titan- If your team is failing with the silos, there is always the defense side of the game. Titans
come equipped with defense guns.

There are two types of Titan guns:

1. Anti Infantry/Anti Vehicle Cannons- These cannon, on the underside of the Titan, fire a volley of explosive shells
towards the ground. These cannons are good for APC's and lowflying gunships

2. AA Gattling Cannons- These fuckers are the bane of the pilot. If you get a good enough angle on a gunship, you can take it
down within seconds.

If the enemy team destroys the Titan Guns, or gets aboard anyways, its time to defend the consoles.
    Consoles must be destroyed in order, because once the previous one is destroyed, the Shields to the next console go down.

It is up to you and your fellow defenders to protect the core of your Titan. Make sure that you know all of the critial chokepoints
throughout the titan, and make sure you arent coming to the battle unprepaired. When defending against a whole squad or two, automatic
weapons are almost a must. Defend the invaders for as long as possible, allowing for either the opposing titan to fall, or for the Titan
missiles to destroy your titan from the outside

Just remember, common sense is the best weapon you have. And the extra points you get for thinking are a plus.

*pics later*

Titan Placement:

If you are commander, you have the ability to maneuver the titan around the map. There are a few important pointers for placing the Titan

• DO NOT lanefire the ships (side to side). This makes all gunships and APCs extremely hard to maneuver
  • Try to eliminate one of the boarding factors, i.e. Place it over rough terrain, or near a friendly silo for added defense
  • Keep It between the middle silos and the far silos

I will admit it, I like to make pirate, and get the ships close to eachother. But this is a very bad tactic, because of the stated above.
camo = fail
FrenziedAU
+6|6444|Australia

Elamdri wrote:

Also, note, not only are these good for boarding other titans/assaulting silos, BUT, you can also launch yourself onto your OWN titan, so you can attack the people assaulting you from behind. Also if you do this, try to land on any gunships parked on your titan, as it destroys them. You usually die in the process, but destroying the gunship and netting a few kills in the process is far worth it.
Regarding landing on the air transports, I've found that if you land on their edge you still destroy them, but are less likely to die.  Alternatively, you can land next to it, jump in, and fly off somewhere.

Does anyone know if getting in their air transport makes it a spawn point for your team, or if it remains a spawn point for the enemy team?
BandoIruka
+1|6491
I always make it a habit to destroy any apc and transports because of the way they act as spawn points. One second they might be empty, the next someone might appear in one and there is a chance they might try to shoot you. But I believe that if you enter a empty enemy apc, they lose it as a spawnpoint. I am uncertain if it becomes a spawnpoint for your team. Regardless, the APCs is extremely important in titan games since most titan maps are large and transportation becomes a key factor. The team with better transportation tend to find themselves controlling more silos and getting to the right places than teams that don't. Plus their weapons are very dangerous to infantry and it should be everyone's duty to occupy one even if only for the sake of keeping it away from enemy possession.
lobo76
+2|6706
hmm.. the guide doesn't cover how to overcome defense teams which:

spam APMs, with a support ensuring supply of APMs, the support providing covering fire when APMs are used up and some one else in the opposite reactor covering in case someone wants to try defusing the APMs. Did i mention spamming of nades to kill u BEFORE u can be killed by the APM?

edit: to add on, sometimes i just don't bother assualting the titan anymore. rather ensure the silos keep firing and get more points than die pointlessly.
u'd need a super well coordinated BIG squad, with pple to 'used' up the APMs, and god-like firing by surviving members to kill off the support + luck to hope that the grenades spam doesn't kill u first.

a moderately coordinated defence can keep the other team at bay infinitely.

Last edited by lobo76 (2006-11-24 01:18:38)

Kanil
"Aff, Star Colonel!"
+37|6758|Internet!
If they're whoring defense, just capture all the silos. If half their team is on the titan, then only half of it is on the ground, so the Silos should be easy to cap.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6671|Canberra, AUS
Defense of titan = APM. Simple enough?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6436|Brisbane, Australia

Spark wrote:

Defense of titan = APM. Simple enough?
QFT. I discovered this joy yesterday - camping in the titan vents with APMs and RDX
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
Fenix14
scout rush kekeke ^___^
+116|6553|Brisbane, Aus

team + you trying to use RDX on the consols/reactor = -24 score
D34TH_D34L3R
+48|6813|Belgium

stryyker wrote:

I will admit it, I like to make pirate, and get the ships close to eachother. But this is a very bad tactic, because of the stated above.
Yay! Pirating is sooooo much fun :-D I love that! Just going on the 'roof' of my own Titan & watch those pods fly!!
Adds a lot of fun to the game imo:-). When not pirating the Titan assault always comes in waves. But Pirating = continuous assault = loads of fun & kills :-D
Unfortunately since the new patch, Pirating has become rather rare..
Laraven
+1|6445|Somewhere near here

lobo76 wrote:

hmm.. the guide doesn't cover how to overcome defense teams which:

spam APMs, with a support ensuring supply of APMs, the support providing covering fire when APMs are used up and some one else in the opposite reactor covering in case someone wants to try defusing the APMs. Did i mention spamming of nades to kill u BEFORE u can be killed by the APM?
Recon with the Zeller can destroy APMs/RDX from range if visible; otherwise the old favourite human mine detector followed by Assault with defibs.
SAF.Skellen
+4|6351
This guide has been added to BF2142 Secrets Website (http://bf2142.saf-squad.co.uk) with permission of the Author.

+1

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard