Towelly
It's A State Of Mind
+399|6581|Your attic
What follows is a short rant incensed by the stupidity of many.

Change.

It's funny how so many people think that this should be exactly the same as BF2, it's not, it was never intended to be and it shouldn't be. I think 75% of the people who have in some way stated that they don't like 2142 simply can't deal with change, they get stuck in the ways of their single game and can't deal with a little bit of a mix up.

Yes the infantry combat is different, doesn't mean you can't take on three enemies and come out the better. In it's current form (demo) the infantry combat is limited, but when the retail gets out a whole new range of weapons and abilities will be available for people to expand and most likely abuse, this will firstly make infantry far more diverse and second it'll mean you'll have to think for once. On the topic of unlocks I like having to work for anything more than basic kit. You are a grunt at the start of the game, a nothing, cannon fodder a recruit. As you climb ranks you become more important so are therefore granted more important kit in which to keep you alive, still doesn't mean a bullet from a rifle won't kill you, it just means you have more options.

Vehicles; as a whole they are much better, hitting the back of a tank/apc/mech does a lot more damage than hitting the front or sides, as it should, the damage location on the BF2 armour was ridiculous, now you hit a tank in the back with a AT rocket and you do some actual damage.

The mechs are by far one of the most interesting additions to the series I've ever seen, people seem to think that they can be ripped to shreds and are giant walking coffins.
False
Invalid
Untrue

In the hands of a player with even a slight amount of intelligence these mothers can dominate. I'm not brilliant in them, but I know people who are, they can go 40+/1 easily and all in one mech. Clever play can take them down, but clever play can also keep them alive

Tanks are fine, the fact that you karkand whores can no longer pin down infantry at a whim is a good thing, it means you first have to have to have a gunner on the machine gun and second have to have faith in that gunner, just because you are not the be all and end all anymore doesn't mean the tanks are no good.

The APC's are now APC's; they have armour, they carry personal, they are as such, APC's. Again just because you can't pin down infantry at 2 points apiece doesn't mean they aren't good, infact if I'm in a walker I fear nothing more than a APC and a tank together, the EMP can stop a walker in its' tracks and leave the tank an easy shot to the legs.

The gunships are fine, although weaker than many thought they would be, but now they take a little more coordination to use well which I find nice. You can't just take out a ton of infantry, all the armour in the area and expect to come out in one piece anymore. No, you have to pick your targets, maybe do a couple of passes to "asses" the target then move in and destroy it (see attacking from the rear) only after thats all clear and all AA is destroyed can you even think about going after infantry and even then you still have to be on your toes. Passing comment on the TV missiles, they have changed, you learnt to use them in BF2, learn to use them again.

In essence 2142 seems alot more teamwork driven then BF2 ever was, I'm glad to see the people who designed the point scheme realized that people only seemed to play for points, so now squad work is one of the best ways to make said points, aside from the occasional reward for a badge or pin.

Admittedly some people have valid reasons for not liking 2142, but they are the minority. So unless you are a member of that minority and can think of a valid reason for coming into the 2142 section of the forum and reeling off about how much you dislike 2142 (before it's even released as well) then kindly get the fuck out.

N.B Saying, "EA screwed me over with Bf2 so I'm never buying an EA product again" is not a valid reason, really want to annoy EA? Stop playing BF2, they make more money in ranked server sponsorship then they ever will on sales.
Sebbmachine
+2|6653|Uddevalla, Sweden
Nice, i totally agree.
lendll
+16|6423
Until there is a complaint and praise forum for bf2142, like there is for bf2, this is where all bf2142 discussion should be held.
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6537|Doncaster, UK
Fantastic post. +1
spawnofthemist
Banned
+1,128|6632|Burmecia, Land of the Rain
this thread suddenly seems a bit sticky.
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6537|Doncaster, UK
Hell yeah, sticky would be nice. How do we get something stickied? PM a mod, report to a mod and ask for sticky?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
+231|6700|Wilmington, DE, US
I think people are worried less about gameplay and more about actual quality of programming. It's more that way for me. But then again, the future crap isn't appealing to me.
Knight`UK
Lollerstorycarpark
+371|6571|England
Good post chap and well said without the usual amount of swearing that goes on here .Important enough for a sticky imho .

in the words of a famous Captain mods "make it so"
Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6747|Hell, p.o box 666

Good thread and as recommended, also by Spawn, this is a sticky now.
spawnofthemist
Banned
don't say i'm not good to you Henry.

Last edited by spawnofthemist (2006-10-13 02:44:26)

mavrick 3399
EA GAMES PATCH EVERYTHING
+102|6532|Doncaster UK
+1 very good post!

i liked the comment about the APCs thats so true there was a thread earlier complaining that they are crap because you cant kill anyone, your post answers this nicely i think.
Towelly
It's A State Of Mind
+399|6581|Your attic

lendll wrote:

Until there is a complaint and praise forum for bf2142, like there is for bf2, this is where all bf2142 discussion should be held.
Discussion and what alot of people keep saying are different things.

spawnofthemist wrote:

don't say i'm not good to you Henry.
Always grateful Colin.

I'll go about updating this as and when people start to get annoyed about things being different as well, at the discretion of mods of course.

Last edited by Towelly (2006-10-13 03:13:21)

AoWs-Avantek
+3|6402|New York
Yes, I'm glad that people understand that this game is about teamwork not solo and going for point whoring.
spawnofthemist
Banned
it's because you CAN'T get away with going solo as much as you could.

in effect they've made what they intended (or what we expected) BF2 to be.

it's a model that works.
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6614|Camp XRay

spawnofthemist wrote:

it's a model that works.
i like knifing spawn in the titan. thats a model that works for me.

Last edited by Marlboroman82 (2006-10-13 03:32:32)

https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
spawnofthemist
Banned
if i recall correctly that wasn't a knife.. and you used too much lube.. you used a similar stabbing motion though..

quite pleasant.

Last edited by spawnofthemist (2006-10-13 03:32:25)

Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6614|Camp XRay

spawnofthemist wrote:

if i recall correctly that wasn't a knife.. and you used too much lube.. you used a similar stabbing motion though..

quite pleasant.
yea you def weren't complaing...
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6747|Hell, p.o box 666

spawnofthemist wrote:

it's a model that works.
agreed. Isnt it always the same in a community about changes? Just look CS. When CSS was released everybody, even those progamers, complained about it. Same with BF1942 and BF2.
DirtyMexican
I knife Generals
+278|6528|Search Whore killing fields
Would theres no jets be a valid reason? If not i got nothing.

Most people are turned off because they didnt get to beta test and only got to try demo.
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6537|Doncaster, UK

DirtyMexican wrote:

Most people are turned off because they didnt get to beta test and only got to try demo.
Agreed, I think a lot of the ill will towards BF2142 stems from both EA's poor reaction to patch 1.3 and subsequent delay of 1.4, and how they handled the beta in it being only available to fp subscribers until just before the end.

It's a shame that the demo doesn't allow you to experience the unlocks as I think that not having these options detracts quite a lot from the gameplay.
thefousteph
+8|6722
I think most whinners are lone wolf points whore OR chopper/plane whore.

This is not your common teamwork hall of famer.

I personnaly looking forward all the good work to emphasize on teamwork;

If you want fun, play like a team
If you wants points, play like a team

That makes alot more sense

P.S.: All those who says BF2142 is crap and don't want to buy it, i don't care AND why you are spending time on the BF2142 part of the forum?????
uberdoc
+3|6407|California
Wow, that is the best post about 2142 here so far. Totally agree with you, wow +1

Last edited by uberdoc (2006-10-13 08:18:24)

Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6436|The Land of Scott Walker
Nicely done.  The walkers are a nice addition.  Fun to kill with, fun to try to kill.  I look forward to new locations in the full game.  2142 is certainly different from BF2, as it should be.  I will lock n load, I will adapt, I will have fun making war online.
DrM
+33|6612
One of the things I like is that a kill is 1 point. A flag capture is 2 points.
It goes back to favouring the teamwork side of play.

DrM

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard