sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6750|Argentina
The French parliament has adopted a bill making it a crime to deny that Armenians suffered "genocide" at the hands of the Turks.

I think +1 for France.

Lol for Ottomaniac.

Last edited by sergeriver (2006-10-12 05:46:06)

Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
+231|6702|Wilmington, DE, US
On one hand, that's a good thing they acknowledge the genocide. On the other hand, making denial of genocide a crime is fairly pointless and does infringe upon rights. I mean, they have laws in Europe about Holocaust denial. If you do that in America everyone will just think you're a loony who probably married their cousin.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6750|Argentina

Ikarti wrote:

On one hand, that's a good thing they acknowledge the genocide. On the other hand, making denial of genocide a crime is fairly pointless and does infringe upon rights. I mean, they have laws in Europe about Holocaust denial. If you do that in America everyone will just think you're a loony who probably married their cousin.
If you get fined for smoking, why not?
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
+231|6702|Wilmington, DE, US

sergeriver wrote:

Ikarti wrote:

Fining them, fine, but it costs more to keep them in jail when they really haven't done anything more than make an idiot of themselves.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6750|Argentina

Ikarti wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Ikarti wrote:

Fining them, fine, but it costs more to keep them in jail when they really haven't done anything more than make an idiot of themselves.
I think it will consist only in a fine, the jail is too much, but it still is good to see someone feels we need to remember in order to never commit the same mistakes.  I say well done.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6554
I disagree with any law like this.  The word "though-crime" comes to mind.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6750|Argentina

Bubbalo wrote:

Then you have an asshat like Ottomania opening a thread "do you agree that the Armenian Genocide is a myth?" and defending the turks saying there's no proof of it.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6542|Southeastern USA

Bubbalo wrote:

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6682|Tampa Bay Florida
Heck, I'd say +100 to the French.  A lot of Americans hate them, but they really don't get the credit they deserve sometimes.

Call of Duty 3, coming out later this year, depicts the liberation of Paris.  In the game, you only get to play as American, Brit, Canadian, and Polish troops.  The liberation of Paris was actually performed by a French division.  Way to go America, the most "realistic" WW2 game of the year and you don't even get the F'ing countries right.  But w/e, the noobs will be pleased with just about anything that comes out with the words "INTENSE" and "REALISTIC WW2 COMBAT" spammed all over the box.

Last edited by Spearhead (2006-10-12 09:21:09)

kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6542|Southeastern USA

sergeriver wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Then you have an asshat like Ottomania opening a thread "do you agree that the Armenian Genocide is a myth?" and defending the turks saying there's no proof of it.
right or wrong, it just seems draconian to jail someone for "thinking" something, isn't that one of the many atrocities Hitler and Stalin are associated with?
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6590|Seattle

https://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/5cbfab2eaf.jpg

Last edited by King_County_Downy (2006-10-12 09:34:44)

Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6750|Argentina

kr@cker wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

right or wrong, it just seems draconian to jail someone for "thinking" something, isn't that one of the many atrocities Hitler and Stalin are associated with?
I think they will fine people, although in the article says even jail.
SpanktorTheGreat
Bringer of slight pain and mild discomfort.
+1|6807

Ikarti wrote:

Albert Einstein's parents were cousins, and he married his cousin, too.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6522|Global Command

Bubbalo wrote:

Any though should be a crime.
specops10-4
+108|6735|In the hills
That is one of the worst laws ever...

Last edited by specops10-4 (2006-10-12 17:43:54)

jonsimon
+224|6488

Bubbalo wrote:

Honestly, I thought France was above Orwellian government.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
France is a strange place.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6657|NT, like Mick Dundee

There goes free speech on that particular topic then.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Bubbalo wrote:

No free speech in France, I guess. Guess they'd better shrug off that 'holier-than-thou' attitude.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6438|The Land of Scott Walker
Yay!  The French government gets to decide what people in their country are allowed to think!  Woo hoo!
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6682|Tampa Bay Florida
In Germany, I am almost positive it is illegal to deny the Holocaust.  It may be against our American way of thinking "Do or think whatever you want, it's not our fault if you're insane", but it's used to prevent distortions, which is what Hitler did. 

It's not like they're busting doors looking for random people who think something...

The French government doesn't decide "what their people think".  Europe remembers World War 2 quite vividly, and they're taking steps to destroy appeasement for people like the Nazis.  It's also illegal to display a swastika in Germany, in case some of you didn't know.  So please, stfu about European countries "deciding what their people think".

Last edited by Spearhead (2006-10-12 20:56:40)

ts-pulsar
+54|6495

Bubbalo wrote:

One of the few times I actually agree with you.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6554

sergeriver wrote:

Which he has every right to do.  The problem is, how do you make the call on what is or isn't disputable?
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6750|Argentina

Bubbalo wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Which he has every right to do.  The problem is, how do you make the call on what is or isn't disputable?
You know I'm totally pro freedom of speech, but two things I can't hear a person say are "The WWII Holocaust is crap" and "The Armenian Genocide never happened". 
The Frenchs won't get you in jail for thinking it didn't happen, but you'll get fined if you state that in public.  Freedom of speech yes, but what would happen to a guy during a Bush speech, calling him asshat, mf, s.o.b, and else in front of his security?  Instant jail, no question.
SpaceApollyon
Scratch where it itches
+41|6512|Finland

jonsimon wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Honestly, I thought France was above Orwellian government.
There are many things you cant legally say in public, this is just one more. It has close to nothing to do with what one is allowed to think about the subject. In principle I am against such laws because they may hinder/handicap debates about history. On the other hand, I am all for making these kind of events as widely known as possible. You must agree that this is a great way to arouse peoples interest on the matter.

Last edited by SpaceApollyon (2006-10-13 05:27:37)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard