Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6690|Tampa Bay Florida

lowing wrote:

rob777 wrote:

hey hey hey, if we are talking about WW2 here the us was in isolation and America first, neutrality up until the pearl harbor attacks and whether or not they would have intervened in Europe if pearl harbor had not happened is still a question that can't really be answered
America was contributing to the war effort before Pearl Harbor. Try a search for the US Merchant Marines of the time period.
So true.  We also had a few pilots flying for them in the Battle of Britain .  Not many, but it proves we weren't exactly "neutral".

I think when talking about World War 2, most American libs and neocons tend to agree much more often.  It's a nice change.

Last edited by Spearhead (2006-10-13 07:17:23)

SpaceApollyon
Scratch where it itches
+41|6520|Finland

Spearhead wrote:

lowing wrote:

rob777 wrote:

hey hey hey, if we are talking about WW2 here the us was in isolation and America first, neutrality up until the pearl harbor attacks and whether or not they would have intervened in Europe if pearl harbor had not happened is still a question that can't really be answered
America was contributing to the war effort before Pearl Harbor. Try a search for the US Merchant Marines of the time period.
So true.  We also had a few pilots flying for them in the Battle of Britain .  Not many, but it proves we weren't exactly "neutral".

I think when talking about World War 2, most American libs and neocons tend to agree much more often.  It's a nice change.
Although Sweden was neutral, some swedes fought voluntarily with Finland against the Soviet Union

Last edited by SpaceApollyon (2006-10-13 07:32:34)

Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6469

buttersIRL wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Of the places I have seen with my own two eyes I'd have to say that Sweden is up there. Smallest gap between rich and poor that I've seen whilst still maintaining all of the freedoms of a non-communist society, affording them all of the most modern luxuries available and keeping enough of an incentive there to better yourself and to contribute to society as a whole. Wintertime there might be a bit of a drag however.
does sweden not have 1 of the highest suicide rates in the world ?
I heard about two months ago that that was Japan. Not sure though but I would rther live in Sweden than Japan anyway. But that is mainly because if I lived in Sweden I could make sure DICE isn't screwing us over with patches that put more bugs into thier games, but wait that was the now defuct DICE Canada, but I would still prefer Sweden to Japan.

Last edited by doctastrangelove1964 (2006-10-13 07:37:59)

PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6527|Portland, OR USA
It is Japan, and Sweden has the highest standard of living in the world.  I'd say CamPoe nailed it with that one.
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6830

lowing wrote:

rob777 wrote:

Pre-Pearl Habour, the US merchant marines were valiently putting their lives on the line in order to sell supplies to the UK and other allied forces to keep the war effort going against the Nazis.
Polux
H@x ?? No, just skill baby !
+73|6648|I smell corners
you all fail, check for a country called LUXEMBOURG....
CameronPoe
+2,925|6556

Polux wrote:

Yeah it has great beaches I've heard, a wide variety of diverse employment opportunities and limitless expanses of beautiful scenery.

https://www.fit-for-europe.info/uploads/162/luxembourg_map.gif

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-10-13 08:53:33)

PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6527|Portland, OR USA

CameronPoe wrote:

Polux wrote:

Yeah it has great beaches I've heard and limitless expanses of beautiful scenery.
I heard they rival Liechtenstein and even Angola!
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6736|Salt Lake City

The place with soft white sand beaches, warm weather, cold beer, hot women, and clothing optional.

I'm still trying to find it on the map, but it seems to have gone the way of Atlantis. 
Polux
H@x ?? No, just skill baby !
+73|6648|I smell corners

PuckMercury wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Polux wrote:

Yeah it has great beaches I've heard and limitless expanses of beautiful scenery.
I heard they rival Liechtenstein and even Angola!
Indeed Liechstein but for Angola I'm not sure.

Last edited by Polux (2006-10-14 05:12:28)

bakarocket
+12|6549

beerface702 wrote:

Japan is awesome

dunno if it's a utopia. i spent 5 years there. and i must say i would move back in a minute.

i was younger..left when i was 16..but still i remeber it being just really awesome, very friendly people. good economy, great education system, no overspending on military, crime levels that are some of the lowtest in the world, including 80% of European countries..

plus they have great toy and hobby brands..
People are friendly, but when I understood the language better (this is in my case, I don't know if you can speak Japanese or not) I found that they were just as racist and stupid as anywhere else. The economy is based upon feudalistic taxation and archaic distribution channels making everything three times more expensive than it needs to be, the military is the second most expensive in the world (next to the US), crime levels are low but are also among the most unreported in the world (the police are incompetent boobs, though tend to be very nice), the laws enacted allow for 30 day detentions without any access to the outside world, there is no jury system, the conviction rate is higher than 99% because evidence is based upon what the cops can make up in time for trial, women make less than 60% what men do, ad infinitum.

Japan is probably the industrialized nation FURTHEST from utopia, though it does look great on the surface.

This all being said, I like it. You just can't trust the cops, shouldn't pay taxes, and don't bother voting because the same party always wins, but, it ain't that much different than anywhere else in terms of culture.

Utopia=Prince Edward Island.
rob777
It's sexy time!!
+11|6508|toronto canada
which country in the world as the smallest crime rate?
Jinto-sk
Laid Back Yorkshireman
+183|6592|Scarborough Yorkshire England
Raratonga Dudes
Sh1fty2k5
MacSwedish
+113|6710|Sweden
They still hang people in Japan. That removes the Utopia status right there.

I've been to a lot of countries in my short life, but i think the country closest to a Utopia would be norway.
Sweden is a very nice country, people enjoy high standars of living and so on, but there are problems here, especially segregation between immigrants and swedes. This has created certain areas were 90% of the inhabitants are immigrants and with high crimerates. Solving this is easy in my opinion, just mix swedes with the immigrants.

Sweden is a good country, it's in my opinion by far the most "free" country in the world, we take care of the enviroment. Those are very important things, but Norway has all this and a little more.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

.:XDR:.PureFodder wrote:

lowing wrote:

rob777 wrote:

Pre-Pearl Habour, the US merchant marines were valiently putting their lives on the line in order to sell supplies to the UK and other allied forces to keep the war effort going against the Nazis.
The Merchant Marines were doing the transporting, NOT the selling. The US supplied England with war materials. SO, you can say the Merchant Marines were valiently putting their lives on the line in order to SUPPLY the UK and other allied forces with war materials for their war effort against the nazis. Don't try and sell the Merchant Marines short with their contribution during WW2.
Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6645|Ohio
Utah.
The#1Spot
+105|6540|byah

rob777 wrote:

which country in the world as the smallest crime rate?
Greenland
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina
Getting back to the original question, I would say that either Iceland or Norway has the best society to live in.  The HDI would seem to support this.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6480|Somewhere else

Antarctica- human beings have yet to really fuck things up there....

ok, so its a continent, but you get the idea
herrr_smity
+156|6628|space command ur anus

RoosterCantrell wrote:

Antarctica- human beings have yet to really fuck things up there....

ok, so its a continent, but you get the idea
the penguins have fucked it up
d.cripz
+29|6409
im gonna have to say probly  Rewanda
Capt. Foley
+155|6588|Allentown, PA, USA
USA, thought we could do alot better if we got the stupid bureaucrats out of office who only sit there with there thumb up there ass.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6722|Sydney, Australia
Not that I don't care what subjects you are doing, but I wanted a link to the Syllibi for some American Senior High School subjects. I just want to compare the Australian and American systems.

If I have to, karma to the person that provides a credible link.

Mcminty.
rob777
It's sexy time!!
+11|6508|toronto canada
just thought about this fiji a pretty cool place dont live
rob777
It's sexy time!!
+11|6508|toronto canada
to****

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard