ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command
http://www.kurdmedia.com/news.asp?id=6943
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor … Id=5373682

Iraq to be split into three regions.
It could be that its time to rethink the borders imposed by European interests after WW1.

Last edited by ATG (2006-10-08 22:55:05)

Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
+231|6710|Wilmington, DE, US
Oh god not Biden. My senator and all, I've met him once...sometimes he talks a good game, other times he takes his good game from the British. Shiiteistan becomes part of Iran, Turkey and Kurdistan go at it, and Sunniland will be Shiekh Osama bin Laden's Jihad Amusement Park. It's not the best idea, but it isn't now either. I don't think it should be on us to decide. Leave. Let them sort it out. Once they've sorted it out, try to rebuild. Don't try and rebuild infrastructure and shit while they're still shooting it out with everyone.
Cold Fussion
72% alcohol
+63|6668|Sydney, Australia
Yes 3 regions. Unleaded, premium and ultimate.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6556
Exactly what was desired in the first place by the powers that be and, more importantly, by Israel. I agree that the original borders were arbitrary bullshit though.
I2elik
+12|6753|Perth, Western Australia

Cold Fussion wrote:

Yes 3 regions. Unleaded, premium and ultimate.
lol, good stab at speculation at why we're there fellow Aussie .
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6644

CameronPoe wrote:

Exactly what was desired in the first place by the powers that be and, more importantly, by Israel. I agree that the original borders were arbitrary bullshit though.
agreed, although, from my research I find that the original borders of iraq had less to do with european agenda and more to do with european ignorance of the regional cultures.
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6528|Portland, OR USA
what borders aren't arbitrary bullshit when you think about it?  I mean, other than those on rivers or mountain ranges, who's to say what is arbitrary and what is decisive?  I imagine these 3 regions are eerily similar to the borders of the previous North/South no fly zones.

There lies an inherant problem in giving a total choice to people who have never known choice.  There are a few problems actually.  Namely - they may not want to choose.  There comes a whole host of responsibilities and accountabilities you must assume when you choose.  Secondly, they may not choose what the actuators of choice would have wanted ... which may include choosing to remove their choice ...
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6644

PuckMercury wrote:

what borders aren't arbitrary bullshit when you think about it?  I mean, other than those on rivers or mountain ranges, who's to say what is arbitrary and what is decisive?  I imagine these 3 regions are eerily similar to the borders of the previous North/South no fly zones.

There lies an inherant problem in giving a total choice to people who have never known choice.  There are a few problems actually.  Namely - they may not want to choose.  There comes a whole host of responsibilities and accountabilities you must assume when you choose.  Secondly, they may not choose what the actuators of choice would have wanted ... which may include choosing to remove their choice ...
yup.  sad.  the problems of the middle east are all due to the fact that the entire region lacks any serious roots of political culture embedded in its history.  for the most part, it has been one tyrant after the other that rules and the amount of people who belong to the poorer groups of the population deeply outnumber any resemblance of a middle class.  with out a strong vibrant middle class, a democracy will never succeed. 

ive said this a few times before, a quote from some jordanian government intelligence official "Democracy in the middle east is like toilet paper, one time use then you throw it away."

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2006-10-10 08:50:48)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6556

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

PuckMercury wrote:

yup.  sad.  the problems of the middle east are all due to the fact that the entire region lacks any serious roots of political culture embedded in its history.  for the most part, it has been one tyrant after the other that rules and the amount of people who belong to the poorer groups of the population deeply outnumber any resemblance of a middle class.  with out a strong vibrant middle class, a democracy will never succeed. 

ive said this a few times before, a quote from some jordanian government intelligence official "Democracy in the middle east is like toilet paper, one time use then you throw it away."
This my friends is exactly why Iraq NEEDS to have a full-on civil war to sort out this mess once and for all. Few nations are born out of 'peaceful agitation'.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-10-10 08:53:24)

-Solv3r-
Heia den som vinner!
+115|6558|Oslo, Norway

ATG wrote:

It could be that its time to rethink the borders imposed by European interests after WW1.
Me think about the Berlin wall.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6520|Πάϊ
Divide and Conquer I think its called...
ƒ³
SGT.Slayero
+98|6466|Life in a vacuum sucks
it has been that way for a long time now duh! when did u wake up?!
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
I agree with CamPoe, we need to pull out and let them beat the hell out of each other.  We have no business there anymore.  The arguement also rages over whether or not we ever did.  But without decending in to THAT again, you can't force people to think like you or to think that the way you think is good.  To each their own.  There is nothing really wrong with a dictatorship given a benevolent dictator.  Each system has its' benefits and drawbacks.  To try and step in and say, "Alright, on the count of 3 - think for yourself and legeslate every aspect of your existence ... 1, 2, 3, GO!" is utter folley, and I think we're seeing that on a painfully explicit scale right now
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6644

PuckMercury wrote:

I agree with CamPoe, we need to pull out and let them beat the hell out of each other.  We have no business there anymore.  The arguement also rages over whether or not we ever did.  But without decending in to THAT again, you can't force people to think like you or to think that the way you think is good.  To each their own.  There is nothing really wrong with a dictatorship given a benevolent dictator.  Each system has its' benefits and drawbacks.  To try and step in and say, "Alright, on the count of 3 - think for yourself and legeslate every aspect of your existence ... 1, 2, 3, GO!" is utter folley, and I think we're seeing that on a painfully explicit scale right now
i would agree but I just cant find myself to.  I feel like I have a personal stake in the success of OIF and I really really really really really really really really dont wanna see Iraqi's dying and bleeding every day.  I love iraqis and I want that place to succeed with as little amount of people suffering.
Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
+77|6695|Mountains of West Virginia
I like the thinking. But if we create more borders, who know what kind of "wars" could result over that.

Whet I am saying is

Getting rid of old man made borders with more man made borders isnt the best idea.
IRONCHEF
+385|6491|Northern California
A 3-way division would be a good idea..if any of those in Iraq fighting actually gave a shit about settling for land.  Since none of them are thinking rationally about dividing their land, this is an irrelevent idea.  This provisional government (that incognito little group who think they're running the country) will not be able to talk turkey (no pun intended) until warfare has ceased.

Warfare will decide any division if necessary.  And I doubt Moqtada al Sadr has sat down with any of the government leaders lately.  Oh, by the way, get used to his name as he'll be the main terrorist we'll be warring with because BUSH, yes, BUSH and his suckass war secretary did NOT capture and kill him in Fallujah when they had the chance.  Now he's probably the biggest shi'ite warlord in Iraq now..he has the biggest army too.

Last edited by IRONCHEF (2006-10-10 10:06:06)

PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

i would agree but I just cant find myself to.  I feel like I have a personal stake in the success of OIF and I really really really really really really really really dont wanna see Iraqi's dying and bleeding every day.  I love iraqis and I want that place to succeed with as little amount of people suffering.
I agree that it'd be nice to not have the suffering and be able to bypass it, but I think there is a lot to be said for the "process".

Too often today (and I mean this micro and macroscopically) the children of a previous generation or veterans of various conflicts try in earnest to shield others from that experience.  This is generally done out of love or at least caring and respect, but it has a nasty backlash.  The problem with this is that we are who we are BECAUSE of what we've gone through, not in spite of it.  This goes for individuals as well as nations.  We are a product of out past, so to try and place someone in line with our history and way of thinking WITHOUT having gone through what we have will ultimately fail.

It may succeed for a while, but eventually the question of, "Why am I doing it like this?" will arise.  Followed closely by, "Is there a better way?"
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6644

IRONCHEF wrote:

A 3-way division would be a good idea..if any of those in Iraq fighting actually gave a shit about settling for land.  Since none of them are thinking rationally about dividing their land, this is an irrelevent idea.  This provisional government (that incognito little group who think they're running the country) will not be able to talk turkey (no pun intended) until warfare has ceased.

Warfare will decide any division if necessary.  And I doubt Moqtada al Sadr has sat down with any of the government leaders lately.  Oh, by the way, get used to his name as he'll be the main terrorist we'll be warring with because BUSH, yes, BUSH and his suckass war secretary did NOT capture and kill him in Fallujah when they had the chance.  Now he's probably the biggest shi'ite warlord in Iraq now..he has the biggest army too.
sadr wasnt in fallujah, he was in najaf.
IRONCHEF
+385|6491|Northern California
Negative.  Sadr and his mehdi army have fought us troops in many cities, chiefly in Fallujah where he gained alot of political clout having survived the first big US offensive in Fallujah.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6644

IRONCHEF wrote:

Negative.  Sadr and his mehdi army have fought us troops in many cities, chiefly in Fallujah where he gained alot of political clout having survived the first big US offensive in Fallujah.
my friend.  i was in iraq fighting sadr and his mahdi militia.  the mahdi militia had NOTHING TO DO WITH FALLUJAH.  the insurgents in fallujah were sunni's.  cmon man, dont argue this fact with somebody whos been there done that and got the tshirt.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard