Yes, from within64%64% - 46
Yes from without4%4% - 3
We are all slaves to the Illuminati12%12% - 9
WTF are you talking about I ain't reading all that shit18%18% - 13
Total: 71
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6707|Tampa Bay Florida
The dark side clouds everything.... impossible to see, the future is.
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6846
So having survived and thrived through decades of nuclear standoff with a communist superpower, Terrorist attacks, 2 world wars and various govenmental blunderings a load of poor mexicans are going to take down the USA.

That'd be funny.
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6782|Dallas
50% chance of something good coming from the downfall of America.  A rebirth if you will.

50% chance of something awful coming from the downfall of America.  A new Reich if you will.

Longterm optimism would be a virtue here.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6485
Carlos Mencia FTW
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6535|Montucky
Yup, i'm pretty sure we're fucked, however if something major happens again causing thousands of American citizens to lose their lives, it'll be interesting to see whom will lend a helping hand in our time of need.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6572
Nations, and more importantly humans, are far more resilient than you think. My trip to Cuba taught me that people have the capability to weather all sorts of inconveniences, hardships and eventualities. Cuba has the most powerful nation on earth constricting it and baying for its blood, right on its doorstep. And yet it survives.
Based on my experiences in Cuba I have to say that I don't think the USA is anywhere near 'doom', although they are edging that way and you know the old adage: the bigger they are....

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-10-10 05:46:15)

ATG
Banned
+5,233|6546|Global Command
Baying for its blood?

Pfft....
CameronPoe
+2,925|6572

ATG wrote:

Baying for its blood?

Pfft....
The longest standing, most carefully enforced and most extreme embargo in the history of the Americas, possibly the world, directly afflicting the lives of millions of ordinary Cubans. CIA-sponsored terrorist attacks on Cuban civilians through the providision of training for the likes of Luis Posada Carriles, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Posada_Carriles, and their refusal thus far to extradite him to Cuba. US sponsored Bay of Pigs invasion? Which might I add took place before the Cuban missile crisis.... is it any wonder they wanted some security. Cuba was driven into the hands of soviets by irate economic colonialists who had lost the lands they had long exploited unfairly.

Cuba is a festering sore on the underbelly of the USA - it chose to defy their world order and somehow managed to slip through the net unlike Nicaragua and the rest of Latin America. And it stands alone and survives against all of the influence USA is trying to bring to bear against a comparatively miniscule nation.

I don't agree with the regime in Cuba but the fact remains USA is doing all it can to bring down that government and return Cuba to the likes of the United Fruit Company (a US company which before 1958 owned a ridiculous proportion of the entire productive landmass of Cuba!!) by both savoury and wholly unsavoury means.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-10-10 07:26:13)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6661

CameronPoe wrote:

ATG wrote:

Baying for its blood?

Pfft....
The longest standing, most carefully enforced and most extreme embargo in the history of the Americas, possibly the world, directly afflicting the lives of millions of ordinary Cubans. CIA-sponsored terrorist attacks on Cuban civilians through the providision of training for the likes of Luis Posada Carriles, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Posada_Carriles, and their refusal thus far to extradite him to Cuba. US sponsored Bay of Pigs invasion? Which might I add took place before the Cuban missile crisis.... is it any wonder they wanted some security. Cuba was driven into the hands of soviets by irate economic colonialists who had lost the lands they had long exploited unfairly.

Cuba is a festering sore on the underbelly of the USA - it chose to defy their world order and somehow managed to slip through the net unlike Nicaragua and the rest of Latin America. And it stands alone and survives against all of the influence USA is trying to bring to bear against a comparatively miniscule nation.

I don't agree with the regime in Cuba but the fact remains USA is doing all it can to bring down that government and return Cuba to the likes of the United Fruit Company (a US company which before 1958 owned a ridiculous proportion of the entire productive landmass of Cuba!!) by both savoury and wholly unsavoury means.
I think you inflate the importance of cuba with the american people.  nobody really cares about cuba in general.  americans see that place as a backward nation stuck in the revolution of the 50's not willing to accept the reality of the utter failures of "communism", just to remain defiant.  the only loss seen by americans, I think, are the cigars...oh well, we got the DR.
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6535|Montucky
Looking from a "cold war" purspective the importance of Cuba is like that of Kuwait, A shall we say, staging point for an invasion.  Now being as how Cuba isn't that far away from America, Russia didn't need to invest in alot of money to place nuclear weapons capable of reaching the USA.  The "bad guys" were at America's back door, but since the CCCP has collapsed and the cold war is over, Cuba is just another one of those communist countries...
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6544|Portland, OR USA
Well ultimately yes - we're doomed.  Just as the empires of days past were doomed and collapsed in on themselves.  From that new (or lessened) powers were born, but never with the glory of old.  That being said, the USA is long past the days which we could have said were the "glory of old".

Will we collapse at some point?  Absolutely.  Is it emminent?  I doubt it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard