..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6659
Bird Flu.  Not so long ago we were all being told to prepare for an "Avian Influenza Pandemic" that had governments scurrying to stockpile arguably useless vaccines, corporates channeling huge amounts of effort and resource into their Avian Influenza Crisis Management Strategy (that's a "bird 'flu plan"), and individuals left wondering exactly when and to what extent we should start to panic.  Lock up your children, bird 'flu's a-comin'!

So where is it?

Well according to birdfluupdate.org it's alive and well in Asia, with new cases and the odd human death being reported in Indonesia and Thailand, while Big Pharma Inc presses ahead with the development of the cures and vaccines that will keep their shareholders and pension funds in the manner to which they've become accustomed.  But where's the coverage?  Where's the panic?

The short answer, of course, is that it's just not news any more.  Israel's adventures in Lebanon, and allegations of UK and US intransigence and complicity, dominate this week's front pages.  Before that it was the storm in John Prescott's accountability teacup, and next week it'll be something else.

I doubt we'll see bird 'flu in the headlines again until more cases are discovered in Western Europe.  In the meantime, as H5N1 steadfastly refuses to cross the species barrier, we can all breathe a collective sigh of relief.  Sit back, relax, stick Sky on and watch live as Beirut crumbles, Iraq descends into civil war and the once oh-so-promising Labour government continues to slowly - and sadly - implode.

At least we haven't all got bird 'flu.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6490|Somewhere else

Havent you heard? the terror level was raised! its off beige red, which stands for: Iran did it. We (USA) have proof Iran did it, the invasion begins in one month.

Also, what ever happened to the whole Anthrax in the mail issue? Anthrax was being FUCKING mailed ot people, and its just an "oh yeah!, forgot that one issue!"

Bird flu is not a news worthy priority, People are dying in Iraq? BORING! The new season of survivor is racially divided! OMFGBIRDFLUFTL!
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6659
In Norway, birdflu wad BIG. I remember the government issuing warnings etc,. Yes, other more 'exciting' news reports have been issued but still this pandemic threatened the whole world. Im sure the plague would have been given more coverage than bird flu.

P.S
you pretty much said what i was trying to say

Last edited by ..teddy..jimmy (2006-10-08 11:38:47)

GotMex?
$623,493,674,868,715.98 in Debt
+193|6773

The bird flu has yet to mutate in order to allow Human-to-human transmission. It is still limited to people who work directly with the birds infected with the virus. Should this mutation happen (which odds are it will at some point), we will have a huge problem considering the mortality rate for the virus is above 50%.

For now we can just live our happy, oblivious lives without problem. We should probably be more worried about Middle East wars, North Korean nukes, and gay congressmen IM'ing horny messages to teenagers.
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6659
Amen to that
mikeyb118
Evil Overlord
+76|6608|S.C.
The media just decided to drop the story, when they reckon it will get enough interest/panic they will take up the story again.
Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
+77|6705|Mountains of West Virginia

mikeyb118 wrote:

The media just decided to drop the story, when they reckon it will get enough interest/panic they will take up the story again.
TuataraDude
+115|6532|Aotearoa
Bird Flu and SARS. Both blown out of all proportion. Yes, people died, and while it is no comfort to the families, the numbers were nowhere near what the World Health Organisation said would happen. Was it people playing it safe and warning out of genuine concern or was it people within the WHO needing to justify their positions?
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6478
I know. Last year my bio teacher said that it would only be a problem if it jumped to humans, and that that was unlikely. As for the SARS, well if you where a doctor or south park fan you would know only 2% of SARS cases result in fatalities, for all you people who failed sixth grade math (I actually skipped sixth grade math and took seventh in sixth grade) that would be 1 in every 50 people would die. The reason for this is because of our greedy media, both Liberal and Conservative news channels need to come up with any story they can and then oversize it because that attracts views which allows them to increase the advertising fees.
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6750
The bird took some cough medicine and got better.

Last edited by paranoid101 (2006-10-08 19:03:18)

w00stafa
Krylov Whore
+35|6568|AK101 Factory
I'm waiting for SARS to come back and beat flu.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6539|Global Command
Im just waiting for global warming to die the same quiet death.
jsnipy
+3,276|6532|...

i am sorry to hear your bird is sick
JaMDuDe
+69|6787
Im on the side of the bird flu. We need to kills off the mmuslims in indonesia. It will spread like wildfire in mecca too.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6565

JaMDuDe wrote:

Im on the side of the bird flu. We need to kills off the mmuslims in indonesia. It will spread like wildfire in mecca too.
JaMDude appears finally to be losing it.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-10-08 17:26:03)

jonsimon
+224|6505

JaMDuDe wrote:

If it mutates it will spread like wildfire everywhere. I'm glad you have a death wish.
JaMDuDe
+69|6787
The bird flu is waiting until america and europe have enough vaccines for its own people. Then it will strike and kill everyone else.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6565

JaMDuDe wrote:

The bird flu is waiting until america and europe have enough vaccines for its own people. Then it will strike and kill everyone else.
Yeah I like the way micro-organisms have the capacity to wait.
JaMDuDe
+69|6787

CameronPoe wrote:

JaMDuDe wrote:

Yeah I like the way micro-organisms have the capacity to wait.
Me too, as well.

Last edited by JaMDuDe (2006-10-08 18:07:05)

alpinestar
+304|6606|New York City baby.
bird flu virus does not mutate as people expected it to, therfore it is very uncommon to see epidemic
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS
Ok. I think we should just ignore him from now on.

This is bad news. This virus is re-writing the rules of evolution from viruses.

I point to the Spanish Flu outbreak in the 1910's. It killed over 100 MILLION people. But it had an efficiency rate of 10 - 20% (efficiency being the percentage of people infected who were killled). Bird flu has had an effeciency of over FIFTY percent. Not good.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6839

doctastrangelove1964 wrote:

I know. Last year my bio teacher said that it would only be a problem if it jumped to humans, and that that was unlikely. As for the SARS, well if you where a doctor or south park fan you would know only 2% of SARS cases result in fatalities, for all you people who failed sixth grade math (I actually skipped sixth grade math and took seventh in sixth grade) that would be 1 in every 50 people would die. The reason for this is because of our greedy media, both Liberal and Conservative news channels need to come up with any story they can and then oversize it because that attracts views which allows them to increase the advertising fees.
So SARS can only kill 13 million people directly. Erm, that's quite alot. The entire Iraq war has resulted in around 50,000 deaths. Bird flu will only be a problem if it jumps to humans, but if it did it will be an unbelievably massive problem.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6781|PNW

Why is anyone suprised? The media ignores anything not of immediate sensation. If it does hit human-to-human mutation, you betcher ass they'll be back on it with a hearty "we told you so!"
GotMex?
$623,493,674,868,715.98 in Debt
+193|6773

I'm with JaMDuDe on this one. It wouldn't be so terrible if we lost a couple billion people. It's getting kinda crowded already. Just make sure you get that vaccine before the bird flu gets tired of waiting.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

JaMDuDe wrote:

There are vacines, like Tammyflu (I think that's how you spell it). But if the bird flu mutates (evolves) into a form where it can be passed from human to human, which is when an pandemic would be likely, the existing vacines won't work.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard