UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6654

kr@cker wrote:

@ nuttah's post, the difference between the veils and the st george is that the st george doesn't hide your identity, how would you like to be having a meeting/sharing private information with/conducting a traffic stop/trying to work security at any venue and have to deal with someone you can't identify? If you  have the right to hide your identity, then i have the right to refuse service or access to anything/place of mine on grounds of safety and security (informational included)
So what?  You do have the right to ban people from entering your property/bar/club based on appearance.  Ever heard of a dress code?  I might not ever choose to visit any venue with a dress-code, but that doesn't mean I think they shouldn't be allowed it.

-having a meeting: Don't see what difference it makes.  How do you know that someone hasn't found a double and sent them to the meeting either?  You don't.  You demonstrate basic trust that the person who said they'd turn up at a specific time to discuss a specific issue is the person you are speaking to.  As for 'communication barriers', we are supposed to be inclusive to all people.  Imagine someone in a meeting with Stephen Hawking saying "I don't understand, type it again and use some damn facial expression this time".

-sharing private information with:  People do it on the phone all the time.

-Conducting a traffic stop:  Here in the UK, women have to take their veils off when taking their tests or their identity needs to be verified when stopped by the cops.  They can request a female officer to do this.

-Trying to work security at any venue:  See dress code comment.  They already ban hats and hoods in many venues, and insist on photo ID.  Doesn't stop someone who was earlier refused entry because of dress code coming back with a mac 10 and blasting the shit out of the bouncers anyway.

Quite frankly I view the recent trends towards banning fucking hooding tops in public places as a total violation of my rights, and since I've got a hood on almost all of my outdoor clothing I also make a point of wearing it whenever the fuck I feel like it.  Banning it takes it from something 'meh' to 'fuck you, I'm going to wear this hood to prove a point' simply because people whine about it.  The fact is that making some stupid rule isn't going to stop the people using hoods/hats to hide from cameras while committing crime, it's just going to piss non-criminal people off.  As far as I'm concerned, my identity in public places is no-one's business but my own, unless I choose to share it.  Do you really think making it a crime to wear a balaclava in public is going to stop people wearing them to rob a bank?  "Look boys, I've been thinking about it, and if this job goes tits up we'll be enough trouble for the guns and stuff, so let's not bother with the old nylon stockings on the head, okay?"

Actually, maybe we should force people to be identified wherever they go.  Everyone should be issued with identical jumpsuits with a barcode and nametag permanently displayed on their chest and back.  And we could chip them as babies and put trackers on every street corner.  Also we should execute people there and then if they don't have a chip, since they are obviously spies trying to steal our great utopian lifestyle.  Also bring back hanging.  For late library books and stuff.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6446|The Land of Scott Walker

CameronPoe wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

We should just get rid of the bible, its brainwashed too many people.
Oh noes, we might follow the Ten Commandments! :gasp: People running around starting homeless shelters and providing help to the community!  The horror!
Because that's what all christians do? LOL. Muslims do exactly that too. You may not be aware of this but Mohammed started life as a beggar.
Yes, many Muslims are very helpful to their communities.  I was not aware he was a beggar.  My understanding was that he was born to a well to do family in Mecca, which was a thriving commercial center at that time.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

Stingray24 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Oh noes, we might follow the Ten Commandments! :gasp: People running around starting homeless shelters and providing help to the community!  The horror!
Because that's what all christians do? LOL. Muslims do exactly that too. You may not be aware of this but Mohammed started life as a beggar.
Yes, many Muslims are very helpful to their communities.  I was not aware he was a beggar.  My understanding was that he was born to a well to do family in Mecca, which was a thriving commercial center at that time.
Actually it wasn't when he was a child but when he was shunned for his preachings, him and his followers were ostracised and embargoed.
rawls2
Mr. Bigglesworth
+89|6561

CameronPoe wrote:

iamangry wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

I agree with Jack Straw on this one (who I ordinarily would describe as a spineless cunt). If the 'no veils' policy works and is good enough for Turkey then why in the name of Atheon do we in the west have to tippy-toe around such issues.
You make a lot of stupid points on these forums, and this is quite possibly the first time I find myself on the same  side of an issue with you. 

I want to make a religion that requires its female followers to only wear thongs, and requires that the followers to only talk to ppl who agree with and follow this rule

Whats the difference between this and the islamic way of doing things?  NOTHING.
LOL 'Stupid points'. Probably the reason I have nearly 600 karma.
Lot of stupid people.

Last edited by rawls2 (2006-10-16 11:02:07)

kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6550|Southeastern USA
@ nuttah again

your second post made it apparent that i had misunderstood the first, I feel pretty much the same way

I didn't mean strike a law banning veils everywhere, only that those who do wear them should be ready to remove them whenever a business owner or such asks, for that matter i could start a religion requiring ski masks be worn at all times,  but my bank teller would probably prefer i use direct deposit

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard