ImmortalTechnique
Banned
+33|6492
From the Globe and Mail:

Quote:
LONDON — Former foreign secretary Jack Straw's preference that Muslim women visiting his office remove their veils ignited a heated debate Friday about cultural isolation and tolerance in Britain.

Mr. Straw wrote in a column for the Lancashire Telegraph newspaper published Thursday that he feels uncomfortable talking with someone whose face he cannot see, and he described the veil as a “visible statement of separation and difference.”

The Lancashire Council of Mosques, based in Blackburn, called Mr. Straw's position “offensive and disturbing.”

See his full article here:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/bl … _issue.php
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6620
I totally agree with him
CameronPoe
+2,925|6526
I agree with Jack Straw on this one (who I ordinarily would describe as a spineless cunt). If the 'no veils' policy works and is good enough for Turkey then why in the name of Atheon do we in the west have to tippy-toe around such issues.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-10-08 11:31:05)

mikeyb118
Evil Overlord
+76|6569|S.C.
Jack Straw did the right thing in voicing his personal concerns about the veil, certainly it is not the case that he would exclude women from meetings because they are wearing one. He has the same right to raise his concerns about wearing the veil than women have to wear the veil.
jord
+2,382|6649|The North, beyond the wall.
I totally agree with him on this one.

On a side note,i have met him(well seen him) several times with me being from Blackburn.
iamangry
+59|6616|The United States of America

CameronPoe wrote:

I agree with Jack Straw on this one (who I ordinarily would describe as a spineless cunt). If the 'no veils' policy works and is good enough for Turkey then why in the name of Atheon do we in the west have to tippy-toe around such issues.
You make a lot of stupid points on these forums, and this is quite possibly the first time I find myself on the same  side of an issue with you. 

I want to make a religion that requires its female followers to only wear thongs, and requires that the followers to only talk to ppl who agree with and follow this rule

Whats the difference between this and the islamic way of doing things?  NOTHING.
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6620
this will promote integration
CameronPoe
+2,925|6526

iamangry wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

You make a lot of stupid points on these forums, and this is quite possibly the first time I find myself on the same  side of an issue with you. 

I want to make a religion that requires its female followers to only wear thongs, and requires that the followers to only talk to ppl who agree with and follow this rule

Whats the difference between this and the islamic way of doing things?  NOTHING.
LOL 'Stupid points'. Probably the reason I have nearly 600 karma.
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6517|Doncaster, UK
Fully agree with Jack Straw on this one. When it was first in the papers Radio 1 was gauging the reaction of the public and the only opposing comment was something along the lines of, "asking me to remove my veil is tantamount to asking me to remove an item of clothing."

I'd like to ask someone on these forums who knows/is related to someone who wears this type of head covering whether they are asked to remove their veils when they go in a bank or a post office? You have to remove you motorcycle helmet when you go into one of these, why not a veil?
jord
+2,382|6649|The North, beyond the wall.

CameronPoe wrote:

iamangry wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

I have 250 karma,this is my first good point.
Zodiaccup
+42|6517

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

I'd like to ask someone on these forums who knows/is related to someone who wears this type of head covering whether they are asked to remove their veils when they go in a bank or a post office? You have to remove you motorcycle helmet when you go into one of these, why not a veil?
On the one hand safety one the other hand a part of beliveve. Hope you see the difference.
If you found a religion, where i.e. the males have to wear a motorcycle helmet
and this religion is accepeted as a religion by the society* you don't have to remove your helmet
when you got in to a bank.

*which is almost impossible
(this is how it is founded in the "Grundgesetz" of germany [and equal in some other european countries i think])
TuataraDude
+115|6493|Aotearoa
The really interesting response to all this is that one group of Muslims condemned the statement and two other Muslim spokesmen in England agreed that it does make integration difficult. They went even further and admitted the veil is a cultural aspect, not a religious one. So long as women at least cover their hair, they are OK (as a side note: It is interesting that the Exclusive Brethren, a Christian religion, also believe in the women covering their hair. Bit of a coincidence). It is up to the woman to decide how far she wishes to go to cover her face, but Islam does not dictate that it should be complete. It is some groups within Islam that took it further.

The trouble is, for every person within a religion that states one thing, there will be another that states something else and that is what makes it so difficult. Ultimately though, if someone is going to live in a new country, they need to accept the values of that country, or pick another.
Zodiaccup
+42|6517

TuataraDude wrote:

It is up to the woman to decide how far she wishes to go to cover her face, but Islam does not dictate that it should be complete. It is some groups within Islam that took it further.
That's right.

And i agree with the rest of your post.
iamangry
+59|6616|The United States of America

CameronPoe wrote:

iamangry wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Maybe its that your post history takes up 21 pages?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

Just cause Cameron pwns you it doesn't mean you have to be angry.
Jammyc_53
+5|6529|Newcastle-England
yeah i mean, who's to say its not bin laden dressed up as a woman in Britain, lol, no one would know, i agree with him. my Nana was on holiday once some where near turkey or something and she was wearing shorts and a top, and she got told to go back indoors and cover herself up.

if i walked around the streets with a bandanna i would get arrested !!!

Last edited by Jammyc_53 (2006-10-08 13:38:05)

--->[Your]Phobia<---
+35|6727|UK - England
I knw this one was coming.... bad nobs you are

I remember Straw saying something about communication problems with women who are wearing veils in his Constituency. ok IF thats the case how about all the women who work Professionally and wear veils all day long? They have jobs I don't see them not being able to communicate in a coherent mannner..
Ok Now two lets say theres a women wearing a mini skirt and a tight top, do you think straw will say cover up a little I am having troble communicating with you? - No he wont he would be too busy perving the ugly son of a bitch.
ok no3 Lots of people dress similar to this, example a nun, now did any oen mension communication problems hear? NO ooooh I wonder why?
For some fcking reason only the dum ass straw is having trouble understanding these women I wonder why that is...... I hope he gets what is coming for him.
--->[Your]Phobia<---
+35|6727|UK - England

mikeyb118 wrote:

Jack Straw did the right thing in voicing his personal concerns about the veil, certainly it is not the case that he would exclude women from meetings because they are wearing one. He has the same right to raise his concerns about wearing the veil than women have to wear the veil.
personal concerns my ass more like Political agenda. He wants attension - He's a nobody and you know it.
EricTViking
Yes, I am Queeg
+48|6523|UK
Damn skippy - off with the veil missus!

Bikers are expected to remove helmets when going into a bank, so the walking letter boxes should remove the headware.

Even if they are really that ugly - we won't be offended ;-)
Jammyc_53
+5|6529|Newcastle-England
becuase nuns dont cover there hole face, at least you know whos under there,
I got my eye on this dude he just wants to expose that sexy brow line so you can jerk off under his desk. Hes one step away from disrobing and raping them.
EricTViking
Yes, I am Queeg
+48|6523|UK

ﻍﻏﺱﺖﻇﻸﮚ wrote:

I got my eye on this dude he just wants to expose that sexy brow line so you can jerk off under his desk. Hes one step away from disrobing and raping them.
He'd more likely discover a face like a bulldog licking shit off a thistle, and jerking off would be far from his mind.
Sorry I messed that one up I meant so he can jerk off not "you".
I can see the sentiment but hes asking them to violate thier religious practices.
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6735|Dallas
I don't see an issue with it.  It's no different than wanting people not to wear ski masks in your office.
You are aware if she shows her eyebrows in public shes just asking to get raped ?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard