Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6628|Washington, DC

BREAKING NEWS: 24/7 GREAT WALL SERVER SHUT DOWN

REST IN PEACE, 24/7 GREAT WALL
By Hurricane
BF2SNN Washington DC

On January 31st, 2007, the 24/7 Great Wall server run by the Seal Team 6 clan closed its doors, re-opening as a 24/7 Midnight Sun server. The reason for this change, as cited by Chief of Server Staff =ST6=SewerMaster was that the server was getting very little business. This change was requested by the man regarded as the Grand Daddy of Euro Forces, =ST6= Phrozenbot.

When asked for comment, Phrozenbot said "She was a damn good server while it lasted, and it's a shame that the clients began to stop visiting." Similar emotions were heard throughout the community as the server went red in the browser list as it was changed to Midnight Sun.

The server was opened in early October, and had a successful run for many weeks. Due to the release of the game Battlefield 2142, along with simply less interest garnered for the Euro Forces booster pack, the server began losing its daily visitors and by December was almost always empty. It ran for nearly 4 months.

Hurricane, BF2SNN, Washington

--------------------------------------
This server could not have been possible without:

Hurricane - For bringing up the idea and stirring interest
SewerMaster and the =ST6= Clan - For providing the server
Polaris - For being the head admin of the server and keeping the riff-raff out
Phrozenbot - For spearheading the filling of the server most every night, idling for hours on end to get it going
The great regular visitors *I don't feel like naming all of you, but you know who you are ;) * - For populating the server and letting us have a great time
The whiners - Who complained about player's skills
The teamswitchers - Who are the shining examples of being an asshole
Digital Illusions CE AB - Despite not being the best developer team, they made this wonderful booster pack
Electronic Arts - Despite being evil, money-hungry (yeah, they're a company, but Valve gives out shit for free for CS:S and they're still in business) pigs, they released this game to the masses and made the coveted EU medal

Merry fragging to all, and to all a good life!

Last edited by Hurricane (2007-02-02 17:07:40)

Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6564|England

O YES! WELL DONE!!!!

Shame about IO on 32size, but I can live with that since its GW Where is the server based??

As of tomorrow after Uni.....Im there. Fuck SF and the SAS medal for now, im playing GW

+1 Executioner

EDIT: See if you can get them to increase the rounds....3 rounds before map reload is kinda low for a 24/7 server. Set it to 15 or something.

Last edited by Snake (2006-10-05 13:48:49)

DaReJa
BF2s US Server Admin
+257|6625|Los Angeles, California, US.
Be Right There!!!!!!!!

Edit : I forgot to Re - Install it, Be like, 10 Minutes........

Last edited by DaReJa (2006-10-05 13:49:36)

Battlelog: DaReJa
MyBFi/BF3i Admin

AKA DanielRJ
GameSurge IRC Network, Support Agent and Staff
Phuzion IRC Network, Support Director and Operator
The#1Spot
+105|6538|byah
IO servers suck
TheGiantSE
+14|6469|Sweden
Nice I have been looking for that.
Have to try it this weekend....
Is it a US server? Hope my ping isn't too bad if it is...

+1 to you for this good news!
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6564|England

I cant wait to kick some ass with the EF weapons again. I love the L85A2 and HK53A3. And the FAMAS...
This is gona be fun!
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6754|United States of America
I still don't have Euro .
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6760

I will get Spawn to give them all handjobs for that.  I will be on later tonight after work.
Kratos Aurion
+36|6640|Sweden
Great. I'll play this weekend I think.

+1!
XISIX
+116|6613
yeehaw !

Haven't played EF in ages since barely any servers running.

This might lure me back.  Cheers.
leesupport
+39|6681
on man finally...going to play there right now:D
=ST6=rfp2566
+4|6561

TheGiantSE wrote:

Is it a US server? Hope my ping isn't too bad if it is...
The server is in TX, USA.  But it is very well connected.

=ST6=rfp2566
www.sealteam6clan.com
=ST6=SewerMaster
AK Whore
+152|6794|Barrington, RI
Yes, as rfp said the server is located in Dallas, TX  and has a very nice ineternt pipe.  Anyone having questions or comments about the server can direct them to me, Since I have been placed in charge of managing the server.
Phrozenbot
+632|6614|do not disturb

I'll check it out soon. Has anyone played a few rounds on the server?
Hurricane
Banned

Alright guys lets get a game going! I'm in the server right now.
TheGiantSE
+14|6469|Sweden
Unfortunately the server has been empty every time I have checked for the last few days. Maybe thats because when I want to play during the evening all u Americans are 6-8 hours after us in Europe...

When are there ppl in the server?
US time will do and then I can see if it's possible for me to play.

Really want to try it!

/Giant
WilhelmSissener
Banned
+557|6731|Oslo, Norway
I'll be there once someone buys me Euroforce
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6647

The#1Spot wrote:

IO servers suck
or its cos u get owned
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6564|England

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

The#1Spot wrote:

IO servers suck
or its cos u get owned
What a pathetic comment.

TheGiantSE got it right. Ive looked several times and everytime its been empty. I cant believe this, all this effort and people saying "yeah ill play" - yet nobody seems to have done so

We should organise a set time and all just go there then - hopefully, get it populated and then ppl add it to their favs and check it. Thats what I do.
Hurricane
Banned

Yes, we need to arrange a decent time for botht he Euros and the Yankees to meet.
Phrozenbot
+632|6614|do not disturb

Snake hit the nail on the head. Where are you people? Everyone here needs to add each other on xfire so we can arrange a game. Last night, we managed 6 people, which would have been enough for 16 player GW, but it soon fell. Sewer and I were talking about this. But here are a few things that can get the server going.

*A large reg base. If this is your server, then you'll play it and help seed it. Visitors won't usually wait, and a server playing will attract them. Soon, they may become regs or just play EF on our server.

*High points. People play for points. So yea... let's hope it dishes out a bit.

*Getting a name for itself. You know, being the only 24/7 GW server, and just being a blast.

*Less Euro Forces server. Force people to play on a few servers. If people want to play Euro Forces, they don't have to look hard. Let's sabotage other servers!

We can still get this server on it's feet. One thing for sure is that Seal team will have to help pitch in. You can count on Executioner and I to be there. I'd encourage others to join along, and not to get one game going and never see you again. We are looking for regs, and enough of them to seed the server at good times (for US peeps, and EU peeps). It doesn't have to have people in it 24/7, but our goal is to get it going for everybody in the US and EU time zones. That's looking a little far ahead, but we need on game to go.

I suggest you add everyone to xfire in this thread so we can keep track of each other. Make some suggestions, and tell your friends. We had people I didn't expect, but we all know we were expecting a few of you but you didn't bother.

Times I will be on to play: 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM on the weekends 2:00 PM - 6:00 PM on weekdays. Mind you it's MT time.

These times are not in stone. And they are least of my concerns. What about the rest of you?
scottomus0
Teh forum ghey!
+172|6635|Wigan. Manchester. England.
I wana get in this! But i have a feeling my pings gona be sky high

either way ill still come in, just make sure it doesnt have auto kick for high ping
Hurricane
Banned

Scott, we had Italians play on our server with 200 ping with no qualm so it should be fine for you.

Let's assume everyone here can play from 7 their time to 11 their time. The British are 5 hours ahead of us. The Swedes are what, 6 hours (this is based on US Eastern time btw)? What I noticed is that there is a "big" demand for EF servers in Europe. On the UTAC server I constantly see people like "SodaPop.uk" or "xxxDERSNIPERxxx[GER]". What our European friends need to do is get the server started around 6 or 7 their time. XFire your friends, post on european BF2 forums about it, etc. By around 10 or 11PM GMT, more US players will start coming in. This is great because

-the EU players may have high pings, but they'll mostly be playing other Europeans
-it will help get the server rolling. I'm almost certain that there are more European EFers than US EFers
-The server will go strong for many hours, and bring in regulars from both continents
Phrozenbot
+632|6614|do not disturb

Good game! Hit 20 peeps. Maybe more next time. It's now playing Oman, what the hell?
KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6450|Cambridge, UK

n1 good to see servers for lesser suported maps...

.... pity its not close enough for a good ping. but +1 for the effort

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard