Do you think YouTube has a future?

Yes55%55% - 54
No21%21% - 21
I have no Idea, pass the popcorn.23%23% - 23
Total: 98
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6612|132 and Bush

I find it amusing that, just last month, the analyst were all saying YouTube was worth billions. This week, Mark Cuban says only a moron would buy the company and everyone all the sudden jumps on the “YouTube is going to implode” bandwagon. For the record, I agree with Mr. Cuban on this one. Youtube is down ATM for maintenace, I wonder if it's related.

YouTube, one of the world's most popular Web sites, might be headed for a crash. At least one industry watcher is predicting crippling copyright-violation litigation coming from the entertainment industry.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20061004/tc_ … FA0XYjtBAF
Forrester Research has added its voice to the growing chorus of naysayers who believe video service YouTube will soon go the way of
Napster, the once-ubiquitous file-sharing service brought down by a myriad of lawsuits.

"I don't believe they can avoid a lawsuit and maintain their popularity," said Forrester's Josh Bernoff.

Much like Naspter during the late 1990s, YouTube is building its business by using material that often contains copyrighted content. Although Napster eventually rebounded and relaunched in 2001 as a legitimate digital-music service, it never regained its massive popularity.

Remarkable Growth

YouTube has grown dramatically over the last couple of years by providing users the ability to post and share videos with a worldwide audience. It is the third most viewed site on the Internet after MySpace and Yahoo.

Recently, financial analysts have tagged the company's value at around $1.5 billion.

However, of the more than 100 million videos watched daily on YouTube -- approximately 60 percent of all videos watched online -- an estimated 90 percent violate copyright laws, according to analysts.

Universal Music Group, the world's biggest record company, recently accused YouTube of being a serial copyright infringer. Universal CEO Doug Morris said as much during a Merrill Lynch investors' conference speech last month.

"The poster child for [user-generated media] sites are MySpace and YouTube," said Morris, according to publicly released transcripts of the closed-door meeting. "We believe these new businesses are copyright infringers and owe us tens of millions of dollars."

YouTube officials did not immediately respond to request for comment.

Copyright Content

One big issue for YouTube is that most of the videos on its site created by amateurs are accompanied by other people's music. "If YouTube was to police all submissions, and post only original content from users, the material would be less entertaining, and the site would lose a large percentage of its visitors," said Forrester's Bernoff.

The company has made moves to stave off potential lawsuits from the music industry by trying to cement deals with players who might have the most reason to go after them in court. Last month, for example, YouTube inked a deal with Warner Music Group to distribute music videos. And in June, NBC said it would promote its fall TV lineup on YouTube.

Bernoff wrote in a recent blog posting that YouTube needs to proactively make more moves like these, or it's going to be a lot more difficult to maintain its user community. Bernoff also said YouTube would be best served by removing the reams of copyrighted material on its site and allowing users to only post material that does not violate copyrights.

Last edited by Kmarion (2006-10-04 22:33:31)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Maj.Do
+85|6763|good old CA
Man that would suck if youtube got alot of lawsuits about copyrighted stuff.  Hmmm it might turn into another Napster
SuperSlowYo
slow as you go
+124|6571|Canaduhhh.. West Toast
sure napster had its issues but all the fighting they did in court had little to no effect on peer to peer filesharing... so yeah youtube might die but there will always be someone else pickin up the pieces
teeW
+4|6515|central illinois
they always take away the free stuff : (
LT.Victim
+1,175|6574|British Columbia, Canada
So if Youtube goes what happens to Angry Alien, Blennus, Blip.tv, Break.com, Dailymotion, Double Agent, eVideoShare, Free Video Blog, Google Video, Grinvi, iFilm, Keiichi Anime Forever, Metacafe, MySpace, MySpace Video Code, Putfile, Totally Crap, vidiLife, vSocial, AnimeEpisodes.Net, Badjojo, Blastro, Bofunk, Bolt, Castpost, CollegeHumor, Current TV, Dachix, Danerd, DailySixer.com, DevilDucky, Double Agent, EVTV1, FindVideos, Hiphopdeal, Kontraband, Lulu TV, Midis.biz, Music.com, MusicVideoCodes.info, Newgrounds, NothingToxic, PcPlanets, Pixparty, PlsThx, Revver, Sharkle, SmitHappens, StreetFire, That Video Site, VideoCodes4U, VideoCodesWorld, VideoCodeZone, Vimeo, Yikers YouTube and ZippyVideos?
R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6498|Melbourne

ITs people like that that will be the end of You Tube, there just upset noone watches there vids! j/k
~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
Reciprocity
+721|6592|the dank(super) side of Oregon
youtube is a very valuable concept.  that is it.  companies would rather destroy youtube in court and then and then built their own, heavily commercialized, version.  It's all about the advertising potential.
LT.Victim
+1,175|6574|British Columbia, Canada

R3v4n wrote:

ITs people like that that will be the end of You Tube, there just upset noone watches there vids! j/k
You might be on to something there...

If Youtube goes down the Toilet, whos going to take their place?

or is every Video hosting company Fucked?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6783|PNW

If they go down the "tubes," it's still not going to make me want to go out and buy copyrighted stuff, if I'm not sure I'm going to like it.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-10-04 23:41:07)

Sentinel
Cheeseburger Connoisseur
+145|6669|Australia

Maj.Do wrote:

Man that would suck if youtube got alot of lawsuits about copyrighted stuff.  Hmmm it might turn into another Napster
That is very likely...will have to wait and see i suppose. Although they may be safegaurded somehow, i mean its the fastest growing site in the world, as if no one would have tried to get at them yet
kimaera
+2|6463|Auburn,AL
youtube isnt the only video site
R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6498|Melbourne

But You Tube is the main one, an i do belive alot of others refrence You Tube to play movies, You Tube should stay up.
~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6560|San Diego, CA, USA
Lawyers, like pigglets, follow suck the tit of money.
Shopvac
If it doesn't say shop-vac keep shopping!
+25|6551|Grand Rapids, MI
Personally, I think the issue is the notion of public space. If someone is sitting out in the middle of Central Park and plays a guitar, and happens to play a Clapton song, should he be sued too? This is copyright infringement if he didn't have permission to play the song, or if he didn't buy the music right?

But no one cares because he's not charging anything. He's just out in a park playing a guitar.

Can the same be said of Internet domains? Are places like Youtube just the public parks of the Internet? Or is it a nefarious service hell bent on robbing the poor poor industry executives of their hard earned money. It's like Latrell Spreewell said. He needs to feed his family too!

The wild card in all of this is the fact that TV networks are posting their episodes on Youtube for people to catch up if they missed an episode. Will a music company really want to shut down a site that NBC uses to advertise itself?

I vote for keeping Youtube, but greed has a nasty habit of trumping the common good.
SGT.Slayero
+98|6476|Life in a vacuum sucks
more popcorn plz  (that means i have no idea and i dont care)
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6540|Global Command
I'm still trying to figure out how the make money.
I don't pay enough attention to the advertisments to even know if they exist on their site.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6479
Well its people who post copyrighted stuff not the youtube admins so what's the big deal. I mean all the rich fags in the publishing buisness cannot attack youtube if they don't pull it up themselves, its the people on youtube who put it up.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6612|132 and Bush

kimaera wrote:

youtube isnt the only video site
True but, However, of the more than 100 million videos watched daily on YouTube -- approximately 60 percent of all videos watched online -- an estimated 90 percent violate copyright laws, according to analysts.

The idea would be to hit Youtube hard and set an example to the others.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6783|PNW

Shopvac wrote:

Can the same be said of Internet domains? Are places like Youtube just the public parks of the Internet? Or is it a nefarious service hell bent on robbing the poor poor industry executives of their hard earned money. It's like Latrell Spreewell said. He needs to feed his family too!
Maybe they'll have to put their longed-for purchases of gold-lined shark tanks off for a couple of months. As I recall, there was much fuss about radio, too.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-10-05 10:22:54)

UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6664

ATG wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out how the make money.
I don't pay enough attention to the advertisments to even know if they exist on their site.
You need at least $25,000 to advertise...
BF2Craglyeye
+72|6684|Australia
What about the peoples original stuff?

What right do the "authorities" have to say what happens to a site that also contains freely made stuff by web users.

What right do they have to get rid of that?

Im just asking...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6612|132 and Bush

It looks like Youtube rolled out their Horror fest last night.

http://youtube.com/horrorfest

Last edited by Kmarion (2006-10-06 04:23:27)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
jonsimon
+224|6506
How do they make up for income? If it's advertising they'll be fine. They'll always have the traffic to cover costs.
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6512|Los Angeles
First of all, the article doesn't cite any pending court cases against YouTube. If there aren't any at present, the fat lady hasn't even started to sing. The Morpheus decision wouldn't bode well for them, but that case was in the courts for five years.

The file-sharing phenomenon has been a part of mainstream culture now for what, 7 or so years now, and I'm guessing that their appreciation and understanding of file-sharing and sites like YouTube is far beyond what it was when they were coming down hard on Napster.

If I'm an NBC exec for example, I'm going to be pissed that my stuff is on Youtube and I'm not realizing any revenue out of it, but at the same time, there is HUGE opportunity if I CAN figure out how to monetize it, not to mention the free marketing I'd get out of it for my various brands. Sure, they pulled the Chronic of Narnia from Youtube, but I think it was a knee-jerk reaction because they hadn't heard of Youtube and didn't appreciate it.

If I worked for Youtube, I'd try to strike deals with broadcasters and other content owners. IE, Videos can be tagged by staff or by uploaders as being "NBC media" or "from Comedy Central" or something, and then the respective content owners would have the right to a 100x800px ad on relevant page for their own purposes.

What I'm trying to say is, if the content owners are smart, they're thinking of ways to turn youtube into a revenue generator rather than dismissing it as a pirate broadcaster that should be crushed using tens of millions of dollars in legal fees.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6612|132 and Bush

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

First of all, the article doesn't cite any pending court cases against YouTube. If there aren't any at present, the fat lady hasn't even started to sing. The Morpheus decision wouldn't bode well for them, but that case was in the courts for five years.

The file-sharing phenomenon has been a part of mainstream culture now for what, 7 or so years now, and I'm guessing that their appreciation and understanding of file-sharing and sites like YouTube is far beyond what it was when they were coming down hard on Napster.

If I'm an NBC exec for example, I'm going to be pissed that my stuff is on Youtube and I'm not realizing any revenue out of it, but at the same time, there is HUGE opportunity if I CAN figure out how to monetize it, not to mention the free marketing I'd get out of it for my various brands. Sure, they pulled the Chronic of Narnia from Youtube, but I think it was a knee-jerk reaction because they hadn't heard of Youtube and didn't appreciate it.

If I worked for Youtube, I'd try to strike deals with broadcasters and other content owners. IE, Videos can be tagged by staff or by uploaders as being "NBC media" or "from Comedy Central" or something, and then the respective content owners would have the right to a 100x800px ad on relevant page for their own purposes.

What I'm trying to say is, if the content owners are smart, they're thinking of ways to turn youtube into a revenue generator rather than dismissing it as a pirate broadcaster that should be crushed using tens of millions of dollars in legal fees.
Google To Buy YouTube?

One of the reasons YouTube hasn’t been sued for copyrighted material is that they have no money to speak of. Google, with their deep pockets, would no doubt attract lawsuits from every direction once they bought it. I just don’t see Google spending $1.6 billion on a lawsuit magnet.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/10/06/news/co … 2006100612
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard