Poll

Should the U.S. retract from the global scene?

Yes?53%53% - 34
No?46%46% - 29
Total: 63
Ridir
Semper Fi!
+48|6807
This is a simple survey to see how people feel about the U.S. being all over the world.  A lot of my peers and people across the world express regret at the U.S. using force in other countries, having factories in other countries, and "dominating the world" both with military and economic might.

If you choose to respond besides a vote, please support your agrument with evidence. 

Before you vote, think both of the world economic impact, world power balance, humanitarian efforts, etc.

This hypothetical withdraw would be from the U.N., military bases across the globe, and U.S. firms retracting the jobs they now have over seas back to the United States, U.S. Treasury no longer sending out U.S. Dollars to other countries.  This isn't just a military withdraw, this is a full withdraw.

And just for the record my vote is no.

PS. For those that actually read and debate I know this is an extreme version and there is a middle ground I'm just polling for a topic I want to debate later.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6687
evidence?  how can you require evidence for a response when you are asking for opinions?
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6621|Florida
I voted no, but to an extent I believe Yes.  The only reason I can think of voting yes, would be because of outsourcing which has lead to the loss of countless jobs.  Many people here in the U.S. would be provided with jobs.  But at the same time, if we were to withdrawal completely from everywhere, some nations would crumble, and chaos would be in many places.

I still voted no.
Sentinel
Cheeseburger Connoisseur
+145|6701|Australia
Well i guess the British owned a quater of the world, so why shouldnt the USA? But then again they are preety different in how they handled this global 'domination'. Anyway, i think the USA should ease off a bit in the 'World Police' sort of scenario. The Business and cultural side of the American empire is awesome. That should stay - and i dont think it will ever truly leave thanks to globalisation. But the US government should start to reign in the military actions so to speak.
I think, like the British, that even when the USA finally does cease to be the worlds super power its culture will still be felt all over the world.
Globalisation will ensure that the USA's reach will be ever present for a long while to come, but the cultural side is ok - its the political side that should retract
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6765|Eastern PA
I'm inclined to say "no" due to trade and such although I do think we need a little less meddling in other countries' affairs. However, the world  at large has a way of intruding on self-imposed isolation (eg. what brought the US into WWI).
13rin
+977|6522
Isolationism gave us 2 World Wars.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6687

Masques wrote:

However, the world  at large has a way of intruding on self-imposed isolation (eg. what brought the US into WWI).
exactly.  The world asked the US to fill this role of world police a half century ago.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6687

DBBrinson1 wrote:

ummm.....no.  europeans and the japanese gave us two world wars.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6759
If they have factories in your country... Why don't you just raise taxes on american products so the "evil" americans go bankrupt...
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6604

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

evidence?  how can you require evidence for a response when you are asking for opinions?
It's quite easy to give evidence to support an opinion, and is the whole point of any History or International Politics essay.  For example:

I believe the US is a horrible place to live.  I believe this due to their high crime rates.

Granted that's a poor example in that it's unrealistic, but you get the point.

Personally I don't believe they should retract from the global scene: isolationalism is never good.  Having said that, I think they need to learn to play nice.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6815|PNW

Bubbalo wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

It's quite easy to give evidence to support an opinion, and is the whole point of any History or International Politics essay.  For example:

I believe the US is a horrible place to live.  I believe this due to their high crime rates.

Granted that's a poor example in that it's unrealistic, but you get the point.

Personally I don't believe they should retract from the global scene: isolationalism is never good.  Having said that, I think they need to learn to play nice.
Too bad nice play isn't universally practiced. If that was the case, war would be obsolete.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-10-04 03:00:17)

Mr.H@x0r
+54|6554
basicly i think that the conflict in Iraq and Afganistan is gonna turn into another Vietnam what makes America think they can do what other countries such as Russia have failed they where in Afgan for 10 years and still lost, Bush should learn to look at historys mistakes not make them again, the only reason i feel they invaded Iraq was for its Oil not WMD's that never exsisted and so they could establish a foothold to assault Iran who i belive has a lot of oil see a pattern?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6815|PNW

Mr.H@x0r wrote:

basicly i think that the conflict in Iraq and Afganistan is gonna turn into another Vietnam what makes America think they can do what other countries such as Russia have failed they where in Afgan for 10 years and still lost, Bush should learn to look at historys mistakes not make them again, the only reason i feel they invaded Iraq was for its Oil not WMD's that never exsisted and so they could establish a foothold to assault Iran who i belive has a lot of oil see a pattern?
Where's my cheap blood-oil?

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-10-04 03:06:37)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6759

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Mr.H@x0r wrote:

US invading Iraq for oil is bullshit... why has the fucking oil prices go up? But war companies profit from war, and construction companies profit from rebuilding a nation though.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Mr.H@x0r
+54|6554

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Mr.H@x0r wrote:

US invading Iraq for oil is bullshit... why has the fucking oil prices go up? But war companies profit from war, and construction companies profit from rebuilding a nation though.
is it really BS take a minute to think, they refused to use greener methods of energy and need more fossil fuels to power the econemy but hey thats just my opinion
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6604

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Too bad nice play isn't universally practiced. If that was the case, war would be obsolete.
Not necessarily, but then, it doesn't matter.  I "He started it" argument is kind of hard when you're the country with the power to do something about it.  Further, most countries don't shove land of the brave home of the free tripe down my throat constantly.

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

You assume omniscience on their part and that it wouldn't have gone up further otherwise.  But I agree, oil wasn't the reason.

Last edited by Bubbalo (2006-10-04 04:42:40)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6624|SE London

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

ummm.....no.  europeans and the japanese gave us two world wars.
No, treating other races as inhuman gave us 2 world wars. Which is still happening to an extent today, which is why I believe things like the absolute condemnation of Islam are very dangerous and why situations like in Bosnia needed to be resolved, like Rwanda should have been.
BVC
+325|6738
What about foreign stuff in the US?  Would this be just a withdrawl or a withdrawl/expulsion?

I gave a null vote.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6604
To properly withdraw I think you'd have to kick out foreigners within.  Think Fortress USA.
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6872

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

1 Gallon of petrol

US ~ $2.30
UK ~ $6.30

Your cheap blood-oil is in your gas tank.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6644|132 and Bush

{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank wrote:

I voted no, but to an extent I believe Yes.  The only reason I can think of voting yes, would be because of outsourcing which has lead to the loss of countless jobs.
Unemployment is at or around 4.7 percent. A "Full-employment unemployment rate" between 4 to 6.4%  pretty much means anyone who wants to work has a chance. The quality of work and pay of course brings in a whole new factor.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Phrozenbot
+632|6658|do not disturb

No, but I believe our foreign policy needs to be looked at.
nlsme
+48|6458|new york
Our oil is cheaper because we have the producing and refining capacity to make it so.We(as AMERICANS)subsidize Iraq AND Afghanistan's oil.which means as American taxpayers WE pay up to $0.32 a gallon for the gas THEY use.why is this,they have NO refining capacity and have to IMPORT ALL their GAS from where?,the good old United States of AMERICA.You pay almost twice as much per gallon for the same reason.We invaded Iraq cause bush is a tard,not for oil!!!!!!!!And Iran and Korea NEED to be dealt with for WORLD PEACE.they are regimes not free democratic countries.If countries like yours are to c.s. to help once again the US will flip the bill. As far as the u.n. is concerned we pay 80% of the cost for you to have a chance to say no we wont help, lets give them yet another resolution they wont follow then another then another then still nope we wont help.should we back off our foreign policies no, should we withdraw from the U.N. HELL YES.
I2elik
+12|6795|Perth, Western Australia

nlsme wrote:

Our oil is cheaper because we have the producing and refining capacity to make it so.We(as AMERICANS)subsidize Iraq AND Afghanistan's oil.which means as American taxpayers WE pay up to $0.32 a gallon for the gas THEY use.why is this,they have NO refining capacity and have to IMPORT ALL their GAS from where?,the good old United States of AMERICA.You pay almost twice as much per gallon for the same reason.We invaded Iraq cause bush is a tard,not for oil!!!!!!!!And Iran and Korea NEED to be dealt with for WORLD PEACE.they are regimes not free democratic countries.If countries like yours are to c.s. to help once again the US will flip the bill. As far as the u.n. is concerned we pay 80% of the cost for you to have a chance to say no we wont help, lets give them yet another resolution they wont follow then another then another then still nope we wont help.should we back off our foreign policies no, should we withdraw from the U.N. HELL YES.
Let's pop them damn Iran..ies and Koreans like a can o' peaches yeeeeeeeeehaww!

/sarcasm
nlsme
+48|6458|new york
the fact is most Iranians don't like the way the government takes an anti us stance.its the regime that makes it so tense.they keep their oil riches for themselves instead of relieving their citizens of their OWN country relief from their oppression.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard