Poll

Should the drinking age be reduced to 18 years of age?

Hell yes!44%44% - 80
Absolutely not!44%44% - 79
Undecided / Need more information11%11% - 20
Total: 179
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

Alcohol is as addictive if not more addictive than Cigarettes or any other drug.
That's not true.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

Gene Ford wrote:

The U.S. has the strictest youth drinking laws in western civilization and yet has the most drinking-related problems among its young. And there seems to be a connection between these two facts.
A comprehensive study showed 12- to 20-year-olds are responsible for 11 percent of the US's annual alcohol consumption. The study by Columbia University's National Center of Addiction and Substance Abuse, also found underagers tend to drink irresponsibility, possibly because drinking laws discourage adult supervision.

Ruth C. Engs, Professor, Applied Health Sciences,
Indiana University, Bloomington wrote:

The legal drinking age should be lowered to about 18 or 19 and young adults allowed to drink in controlled environments such as restaurants, taverns, pubs and official school and university functions. In these situations responsible drinking could be taught through role modeling and educational programs. Mature and sensible drinking behavior would be expected. This opinion is based upon reaserch that I have been involved in for over twenty years concerning college age youth and the history of drinking in the United States and other cultures.

Although the legal purchase age is 21 years of age, a majority of college students under this age consume alcohol but in an irresponsible manner. This is because drinking by these youth is seen as an enticing "forbidden fruit," a "badge of rebellion against authority" and a symbol of "adulthood." As a nation we have tried prohibition legislation twice in the past for controlling irresponsible drinking problems. This was during National Prohibition in the 1920s and state prohibition during the 1850s. These laws were finally repealed because they were unenforceable and because the backlash towards them caused other social problems. Today we are repeating history and making the same mistakes that occurred in the past. Prohibition did not work then and prohibition for young people under the age of 21 is not working now.

The flaunting of the current laws is readily seen among university students. Those under the age of 21 are more likely to be heavy -- sometimes called "binge" -- drinkers (consuming over 5 drinks at least once a week). For example, 22% of all students under 21 compared to 18% over 21 years of age are heavy drinkers. Among drinkers only, 32% of under age compared to 24% of legal age are heavy drinkers.

Research from the early 1980s until the present has shown a continuous decrease in drinking and driving related variables which has parallel the nation's, and also university students, decrease in per capita consumption. However, these declines started in 1980 before the national 1987 law which mandated states to have 21 year old alcohol purchase laws.

The decrease in drinking and driving problems are the result of many factors and not just the rise in purchase age or the decreased per capita consumption. These include: education concerning drunk driving, designated driver programs, increased seat belt and air bag usage, safer automobiles, lower speed limits, free taxi services from drinking establishments, etc.

While there has been a decrease in per capita consumption and motor vehicle crashes, unfortunately, during this same time period there has been an INCREASE in other problems related to heavy and irresponsible drinking among college age youth. Most of these reported behaviors showed little change until AFTER the 21 year old law in 1987. For example from 1982 until 1987 about 46% of students reported "vomiting after drinking." This jumped to over 50% after the law change. Significant increase were also found for other variables: "cutting class after drinking" jumped from 9% to almost 12%; "missing class because of hangover" went from 26% to 28%; "getting lower grade because of drinking" rose from 5% to 7%; and "been in a fight after drinking" increased from 12% to 17%. All of these behaviors are indices of irresponsible drinking. This increase in abusive drinking behavior is due to "underground drinking" outside of adult supervision in student rooms and apartments were same age individuals congregate and because of lack of knowledge of responsible drinking behaviors.

Based upon the fact that our current prohibition laws are not working, the need for alternative approaches from the experience of other, and more ancient cultures, who do not have these problems need to be tried. Groups such as Italians, Greeks, Chinese and Jews, who have few drinking related problems, tend to share some common characteristics. Alcohol is neither seen as a poison or a magic potent, there is little or no social pressure to drink, irresponsible behavior is never tolerated, young people learn at home from their parents and from other adults how to handle alcohol in a responsible manner, there is societal consensus on what constitutes responsible drinking. Because the the 21 year old drinking age law is not working, and is counterproductive, it behooves us as a nation to change our current prohibition law and to teach responsible drinking techniques for those who chose to consume alcoholic beverages.
The report quoted by ROCKowmCo is from 1987, just 3 years after the drinking age was raised from 18. Just enough time for all those who had been drinking legally, to start drinking legally again.
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6493|Connecticut
I say yes. That way I don't have to buy beer for my little brother anymore.
Malloy must go
47man
+46|6424|Cali
America simply could not handle itself if it was lowered, other countries can, simply because it has been that way for a while. Let's use Britain as an example, you can drink at a very young age there. You generally do not see people going out and getting drunk to the point of alcohol poisoning on their birthday because it's not a big deal. Alcohol here is seen as this wonderful thing that you must'nt touch until you are 21, after that nobody cares, go drink yourself to death.
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6470|New York

deeznutz1245 wrote:

I say yes. That way I don't have to buy beer for my little brother anymore.
Hahahahahahahahahahah
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6550|Southeastern USA

47man wrote:

America simply could not handle itself if it was lowered, other countries can, simply because it has been that way for a while. Let's use Britain as an example, you can drink at a very young age there. You generally do not see people going out and getting drunk to the point of alcohol poisoning on their birthday because it's not a big deal. Alcohol here is seen as this wonderful thing that you must'nt touch until you are 21, after that nobody cares, go drink yourself to death.
that and you can't go any fucking where over here without driving, whereas in europe you can take a train commute to another country everyday if you wished with no big to do, legal limit or not, inexperienced driver+slightest buzz=bad
LT.Victim
+1,175|6563|British Columbia, Canada
The drinking age is 19 where i live.. No one follows it though..

1 year isn't that much..

and it keeps the new drivers from being tards and drinking and driving..
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6702|New York

Bertster7 wrote:

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

Alcohol is as addictive if not more addictive than Cigarettes or any other drug.
That's not true.
Wanna bet? I Know more Alcoholics and Hard drinkers than i do Drug Addicts and smokers. . Allot of Alcoholics WERE in my family, they are now departed.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

That's not true.
Wanna bet? I Know more Alcoholics and Hard drinkers than i do Drug Addicts and smokers. . Allot of Alcoholics WERE in my family, they are now departed.
That's you. It has been proven time and time again that nicotine is WAY more addictive than alcohol. Do you really want me to look up some figures, it is well established fact. The fact that your personal experience makes you think otherwise doesn't make it unture.

edit. Just checked and while nicotine is more addictive than alcohol, heroin is not (depending on which criteria you use for measuring addictivity), so alcohol is certainly more addictive than I had thought, but is as I said, less addictive than nicotine.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2006-10-05 04:31:13)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

47man wrote:

It is precisely for that reason that the drinking age should be lowered. 21 is a stupid age to start drinking, why do you think no other countries have 21 as the legal drinking age?

It is just like prohibition, it doesn't work. Raising the drinking age promotes abusive drinking to excess, in the same way that prohibition meant that people binged when they had the opportunity.
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6702|New York

Bertster7 wrote:

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

That's not true.
That's you. It has been proven time and time again that nicotine is WAY more addictive than alcohol. Do you really want me to look up some figures, it is well established fact. The fact that your personal experience makes you think otherwise doesn't make it unture.

edit. Just checked and while nicotine is more addictive than alcohol, heroin is not (depending on which criteria you use for measuring addictivity), so alcohol is certainly more addictive than I had thought, but is as I said, less addictive than nicotine.
Its still a BAD idea in any sense. Introduction to alcohol younger in VERY small amounts might not be bad, But to lower the age to a state where its OK for a kid to get out of 8th grade and goto the pub for an Ale is Just crazy shit. Instead of doing there homework, they would be spending time drinking and chaseing after drunk pussy till the wee hours of the night. That doesnt sound good in my book. Oh then add in a car, Thats even better.

Bad enough we have a shortage of collage graduates to do specific jobs, Lets now lower the drinking age to somewhere around Mid highschool, and Then we will need to open the border and give away free educations just to fill the high paying jobs.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

Its still a BAD idea in any sense. Introduction to alcohol younger in VERY small amounts might not be bad, But to lower the age to a state where its OK for a kid to get out of 8th grade and goto the pub for an Ale is Just crazy shit. Instead of doing there homework, they would be spending time drinking and chaseing after drunk pussy till the wee hours of the night. That doesnt sound good in my book. Oh then add in a car, Thats even better.

Bad enough we have a shortage of collage graduates to do specific jobs, Lets now lower the drinking age to somewhere around Mid highschool, and Then we will need to open the border and give away free educations just to fill the high paying jobs.
It works everywhere else.

It used to work perfectly well in the US till 1984.

Are you saying that the youth of America today are so much less responsible than the rest of the world they couldn't cope with a drinking age of 18 or 19?
alien-DSW-Gen
Hates snipers and says the "F" word a lot
+72|6674|Houston, Texas
If i'm not mistaken, its a state based law not federal. But there's a catch, if your state has a legal drinking age of 18, you will not receive federal funding for highway repairs. Thats why Louisana finally changed their legal limit up to 21 years back.

Driving on I-10 for a while there was like going off roading.
Jenkinsbball
Banned
+149|6549|USA bitches!
All we need is idiotic minors getting drunk and driving. I know that they do it now, but if the legal age was 18, I bet the death rate among teens would quadruple in a week.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

Jenkinsbball wrote:

All we need is idiotic minors getting drunk and driving. I know that they do it now, but if the legal age was 18, I bet the death rate among teens would quadruple in a week.
Yet the US has the highest legal drinking age in the world and also a high drink driving death rate. About 50% above that of the UK (based on a UK population of 60 million and a US population of 300 million).

The largest drop in alcohol related fatalities came between 1982 and 1983, a year before the minimum drinking age was raised to 21 (26,173 in 1982, 24,635 in 1983). In fact the year after the drinking age was raised the number of alcohol related deaths went up (23,167 in 1985, 25,017 in 1986).

So why is it that the US has the highest drinking age in the world and yet a very high alcohol related death rate?
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6470|New York

Jenkinsbball wrote:

Thank god, there is someone with intelligence in here.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6766|Cambridge (UK)

Jenkinsbball wrote:

Darwinian natural selection at it's finest...
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6758|Argentina
Yeah, hick reduce the hick fuckin hick age to 18 hick or hick lower hick.
vanmani
Unintentionally Verbose
+26|6592|Australia
What on earth does lowering the purchase age have to do with drink-driving? Drink-driving should still be illegal, and enforced.

In Australia we can purchase at 18. We can't drive until 17, and we can't have even one single drink and drive until we've been fully licensed for 3 years, at which point we can still only blow 0.05% blood alcohol.

Drink driving is a relatively small problem here, largely because it's considered extremely socially unacceptable (when someone gets killed due to drink-driving it is very publically criticised), and because it is very well enforced, with random breath testing going on every single night.

We have endless advertising campaigns along the lines of "Drink? Drive? Bloody idiot". Everyone is indoctrinated.

Fact is, alcohol purchasing should be illegal for under 18s because their brains aren't fully developed and excess alcohol can stunt brain development at that stage. After 18 people are fully capable of rational thought, and their brains are mostly developed. 21 is probably overkill.

Fact is, (in my case) I thought drinking was more fun and exciting when I was 16 than I did when I was 18. And I think it's even less fun and exciting now that I'm 22. I definitely drank more as an underager than I did after 18. And I have never, ever drunk-driven (and think about it, would you?). You can kill people by drink-driving, and (over here) you will lose your license instantly for a minimum of 3 months if you're caught + a fine.

A common trend in this debate is people assuming that "under 21's aren't mature enough to be given the option of drinking". Fact is, they do drink, and it appears to be more than over 21s. The only reason they do it irresponsibly is because they have to do it illegally, it becomes NOVEL for them. Making it legal only removes that novel factor.
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6493|Connecticut

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

21 you buy beer in the US
18 you can buy a gun.

Which is more dangerous?
It depends.....really. If you are 18 with a few hundred bucks in your pocket and in the vicinity of a tattoo shop, with a near future of a bad decision........I would have to say beer. I gotta get that thing laser removed man. College buddies are a bitch!
Malloy must go
Jenkinsbball
Banned
+149|6549|USA bitches!
Fuck you all if you didn't get my point. Yes, we have a bad problem with all of the drunk driving deaths per year. Lowering the legal age will only multiply that due to stupid teenagers that don't know when to say when and succumb to peer pressure on a daily basis.

Anyone that thinks this should happen doesn't know what it's like to have a family member killed by a drunk driver. Luckily, I don't know the feeling, but I'm sure it's not pleasant.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

Jenkinsbball wrote:

Fuck you all if you didn't get my point. Yes, we have a bad problem with all of the drunk driving deaths per year. Lowering the legal age will only multiply that due to stupid teenagers that don't know when to say when and succumb to peer pressure on a daily basis.
Why? What evidence do you have to suggest that?

Why is the US drink driving death rate so high then, when the drinking age is the highest in the world? Surely there should be virtually no drink driving.

Most drink driving deaths are caused by middle aged people, not teenagers or those in their early 20's, who tend to be more aware of the risks. At least in Europe.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2006-10-06 06:18:10)

Jenkinsbball
Banned
+149|6549|USA bitches!

Bertster7 wrote:

Jenkinsbball wrote:

Why is the US drink driving death rate so high then, when the drinking age is the highest in the world? Surely there should be virtually no drink driving.

Most drink driving deaths are caused by middle aged people, not teenagers or those in their early 20's, who tend to be more aware of the risks. At least in Europe.
Right there... American kids are getting dumber as every year passes. I wouldn't trust anyone driving at night if they passed a law like this.
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6470|New York
So it looks like its me and Jenkinsbball against the world.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

Jenkinsbball wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Jenkinsbball wrote:

Right there... American kids are getting dumber as every year passes. I wouldn't trust anyone driving at night if they passed a law like this.
So you're saying Americans are too stupid to drink responsibly and not drive when drunk?
Maybe drinking should be banned altogether in the US then, like in many Islamic countries.

Maybe you could bring back prohibition, since it worked so well last time.

*edit*
Personally I don't believe that to be the case. I would be interested in seeing figures of age groups involved in DUI offences in the US if anyone knows where I could find some.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2006-10-06 11:01:31)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard