Poll

Should the drinking age be reduced to 18 years of age?

Hell yes!44%44% - 80
Absolutely not!44%44% - 79
Undecided / Need more information11%11% - 20
Total: 179
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6471|New York

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

21 you buy beer in the US
18 you can buy a gun.

Which is more dangerous?
True, but in order to buy a gun you need a license and a background check. Which I will admit is not 100% bulletproof, but it helps. Any 21 year old regardless of background can buy whatever they want. Even if there was some type of background check here, it still wouldn't be perfect... no where near it.

DonFck made a good point. This is a complete paradox. There's not really any other way to look at it.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717
What Ty said is part true, I knew a girl who smoked because it was cool... a lot of young people do that. No drinking age= no coolness= no one gives a shit.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

What Ty said is part true, I knew a girl who smoked because it was cool... a lot of young people do that. No drinking age= no coolness= no one gives a shit.
I've drank alcohol maybe three times in my life. Twice in childhood when offered by adults, and once on my 21st birthday, only because a couple of 'Nam vets insisted. First was a sort of low-alcohol beer, second was Southern Comfort, and the third was a rum & Coke. So I guess I'll be lucky to hit my tenth drink by my 80th birthday.

Part of the whole 'no-coolness' thing just depends on how prone an individual is to peer pressure.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-10-03 02:13:02)

MURcarnage
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!
+86|6658|San Francisco, CA
Is there really any point? If you really think about it, the "drinking age" is, in some way, a moot law. Almost everyone who is underage that drinks or doesn't drink, has a way of getting around this law. Society nowadays is just going to start going downhill from here I believe. It may not be a steep drop, but it IS going down.

Kids obtaining illegal drugs, drinking, smoking, and doing who knows what other illegal activities.
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6471|New York

Ty wrote:

There needs to be NO drinking age.
I'm not just saying that to be cool either, 'cause I'm above the legal drinking age here.
Unfortunatly there's a psyche that alcoholic drinks are awesome because there's an age limit. Without an age limit, there would be no problem as alcohol would no longer be a huge thing. People would be educated through their lives and it wouldn't matter. Most likely people woldn't get into drinking until they're in their mid-teens at least anyway - think back, when you were a kid did you like the taste of anything alcoholic? I know I didn't.
Unfortunatly this would take a huge re-modeling in society, it couldn't b implimented straight away because a lot of twelve-year-olds would get alcohol poisioning. As Alcohol is something that kids, (and older under he drinking age - 21, honestly USA...) are apparently forbidden and thus want, (human conditon - you always want what you don't have,) drinking wll remain a problem.
That's a good point, but no one (at least no one I know) drinks because they like the taste. People drink to get drunk and have a good time (hopefully a safe one).  Before people go to nightclubs they drink to 'loosen up' and have a fun time. I certainly don't like the taste of beer nor any liquor for that matter. When there's a party, people are gonna want to 'loosen up' with their friends around and there's almost always that one person who takes it too far and gets completely shitfaced and does hilarious things then passes out and we have something like this... Which happened to a friend of mine a while ago. Funny times.

https://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3248/picture008ds6.jpg
zer0fus10n
+14|6512
Rofl.. I seen a picture of a guy without a shirt that passed out a party got a tux drawn on his skin with a texta, Also at a party there was a passed out chick on a sofa and got carried out onto the diving board in the backyard pool and everyone screemed and she fell in the pool... Pretty funny untill she didn't come back up and someone had to go get her
BF2Craglyeye
+72|6673|Australia

N.A.T.O wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

18 you can buy a gun.

Which is more dangerous?
Beer + gun = dangerous
And there it is...

The reason why the US has the age limit.

Last edited by BF2Craglyeye (2006-10-03 02:38:17)

Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6764

DonFck wrote:

{XpLiCiTxX} wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Yes. Look at holland, drinking age at 16 and hardly anyone having hangovers at school... The younger they expirience alchahol and what it does, the less stupid things they'll do. If you don't lower the age... it wont make a difference on illegal drinking now would it?
This would imply that all people are of the same responsibility level. Which is CLEARLY not the case. I'm pretty sure if the drinking age in New York, where I live, were to be 16, 75% of students in high schools would be expelled.

So, you're saying that if I was introduced to a substance (illegally, because at the time it is illegal for me to consume it) I would gain a responsibility for use later on when the use of this substance is legal? What? I can see the argument but it's so far-fetched I bury this under the rug almost instantaniously.
It's a complete paradox, yet there must be some truth in it. I can only speak IMO, but everyone here does it, don't they?

The first time I've had alcohol was when I was 13 or so, under supervision of my parents. Just one beer, a mild beer, I might add. later on I had small amounts of different alcohol drinks, also under supervision. Of course there was getting drunk unsupervised in parks during weekends with friends (naturally). I consider myself now, 13 years later that I'm a responsible drinker, and have been that already before I turned 18. Why? Dunno?

Did the fact that I've been introduced to alcohol young have to do with it? Perhaps. I remember my classmates from that time (early to mid- 90's) to whom alcohol was forbidden by their parents altogether. They are getting shitfaced still today. It's peculiar, but an observation I've made.

Regarding alcohol related traffic accidents, IMHO the driving age should be lifted to 18.
I have a lot to add about the experiences and effects of underage drinking, adding on to what Cyborg_Ninja-117.

I live in Thailand, but you probably already know that. I've been here for 7 years and have known people as they graduate throughout all 7 years, through my brothers or other means. Here in Bangkok, the drinking age is legally 18. But, of course, as with all things in Thailand, no one enforces it. I've seen five year olds buy Mekong Thai Whiskey (not for the light hearted) from 7-Eleven. And much more than that. Kids drink here, it's a fact.

Now, as each of the people in my school graduates and goes off to college in the US or Canada or Australia, as are the most common destinations of students in my social class, they enter the college life. Now everyone in high school perceives college life as full of parties, alcohol and one night stands. However, that's the American/Canadian/Australian point of view. Experiencing little to no alcohol in your teenage years will only result in more anticipation for the years to come in college. Much of the friends my friends make when they hit their freshman year, drink for the first time. They get wasted, throw up, pass out and are left alone in a bathroom somewhere and nobody cares about them. If they're female, they may get raped. Because it's their first time. And they have fun anyway, and do it night after night.

However, almost all the students who partied here in Thailand who graduate, go to college and return for visits, say that it's not all that different. If anything, it's worse. People don't know you in your first weeks. No one cares about you. Here in high school someone gets drunk, people take care of you. No one really wants to take care of them, but they do so anyway because they feel responsible. Or rather, we, feel responsible, as I've been put in this kind of situation a number of times. No one is going to steal your wallet or rape you when you're passed out drunk at a party. Someone is going to take you home. People know you. Most of the students who graudated from my school don't go to every party because it gets, dare I say, 'boring', though I hope not to bring across a false connotation. They drink responsibly, because they realize that no one is going to help them around in an unfamiliar place. By getting exposed to alcohol at an earlier stage (but of course not too early as for health reasons) allows teenagers to feel like god or feel like shit, in the safety of their home (area, within reach of friends and family). Also, everyone here knows what it's like to be at school with a hangover. Not the fun. And they don't want to have hangovers in their university classes either. Responsible drinking into play again.

This on-going study is based on more than 500 students from their years in high school (approx age 14-19) and the first years of following university, who are from over fifty international countries and all ethnicities.
SkoobyDu
'CLICK JOIN NOW'... OK lets go... BOOM!!!! =FFS=
+120|6562|Cheshire, UK

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

18 you can buy a gun.

Which is more dangerous?
In the uk its 18 for alcohol and dodgy daves back yard shop for firearms... The problem we have over here is the amout of underage chav's (follow website for explanation of a chav) standing outside off licences asking you to buy them the latest alchopop...

http://www.chavtowns.co.uk/modules.php? … mp;sid=776
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6654

Ty wrote:

I'm not just saying that to be cool either, 'cause I'm above the legal drinking age here.
Unfortunatly there's a psyche that alcoholic drinks are awesome because there's an age limit. Without an age limit, there would be no problem as alcohol would no longer be a huge thing. People would be educated through their lives and it wouldn't matter. Most likely people woldn't get into drinking until they're in their mid-teens at least anyway - think back, when you were a kid did you like the taste of anything alcoholic? I know I didn't.
Unfortunatly this would take a huge re-modeling in society, it couldn't b implimented straight away because a lot of twelve-year-olds would get alcohol poisioning. As Alcohol is something that kids, (and older under he drinking age - 21, honestly USA...) are apparently forbidden and thus want, (human conditon - you always want what you don't have,) drinking wll remain a problem.
I agree with that.  Same with cigarettes.  Same with all drugs anywhere.  Prohibition, even age based prohibition, solves nothing, you still get 11 years addicted to alco-pops, smoking or hooked on smack (at least you do here in the UK) because people are willing to supply them.  These kids are forced to hang around on the streets with all and sundry in areas where there is fuck-all else for them to do because of lack of parental care and lack of social provision.  It's usually down to the parents, and if they put some effort in the kids would too busy to waste whole days puking and pissing everywhere...  and if anyone under 18 did want to drink, they could do it in a safe environment.  Since street drinking is basically illegal here in the UK, there is no point in having a law that says under-18's can't consume alcohol in public, as that's basically how it works here anyway (at least it is where I live in Brighton). 

In the UK you can buy beer and cider from age 16 if it's with a meal in the dining area of a pub, so I guess our laws are similar to the Dutch laws on the subject (except they can't buy it in off-licences or bars until 18).  Except we can give our kids alcohol from the age of 5 in the family home, so I don't know if that's the same in that respect or not.  I still think there needs to be limits on the shop purchase age just like knives or solvent-based glue, simply because it can kill if used improperly.  But age limits on responsible consumption like those in many states America I don't agree with.  That's just plain stupid.

edit:emphasis for the skimmers who'll skip the rest

Last edited by UnOriginalNuttah (2006-10-03 03:19:03)

herrr_smity
+156|6629|space command ur anus
18 is for tha pimps
[JUK]semerkhet
+3|6632

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

Except we can give our kids alcohol from the age of 5 in the family home,
Theres another law now that makes it illigal for adults to supply alcohol to under 18's, so this pretty much superseades this one.  In fact, its this law that gave me more hassel when running and offlicence then directly refusing kids.  for some reason parents seem to think their above the law when it comes to buying alcohol for their kids..or adults think we're just idiots and we don't notice the 5 teenagers standing outside that just gave them the money.
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6830
It does seem odd that you can finish school, buy a gun, drive a car, fly a plane or helicopter, vote, get married, have kids and join the army but you can't drink.
Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6764

.:XDR:.PureFodder wrote:

It does seem odd that you can finish school, buy a gun, drive a car, fly a plane or helicopter, vote, get married, have kids and join the army but you can't drink.
You don't want to be drunk when you learn to drive, shoot guns, fly an aircraft, vote or be in the army, so they let you get into those before you get alcohol.

That's just one viewpoint.
CaptainMack
Ye Ol'e Pirate Pub<3
+5|6431|#bf2s (Just next to maef)
Well, Denmark you can buy alcohol when you are 16
but I started drinking at the end of 14
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6654

[JUK]semerkhet wrote:

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

Except we can give our kids alcohol from the age of 5 in the family home,
Theres another law now that makes it illigal for adults to supply alcohol to under 18's, so this pretty much superseades this one.  In fact, its this law that gave me more hassel when running and offlicence then directly refusing kids.  for some reason parents seem to think their above the law when it comes to buying alcohol for their kids..or adults think we're just idiots and we don't notice the 5 teenagers standing outside that just gave them the money.
Nope, it doesn't supersede anything.  You can still give your children alcohol from the age of 5 in the family home.  Under 5's only on medical orders. Buying your 14 year old son a bottle of vodka to take round to a friends house would be supplying alcohol to under 18s though.  The key point is that it must take place in the family home and be controlled by a responsible guardian.
BVC
+325|6696

{XpLiCiTxX} wrote:

That's a good point, but no one (at least no one I know) drinks because they like the taste. People drink to get drunk and have a good time (hopefully a safe one).  Before people go to nightclubs they drink to 'loosen up' and have a fun time. I certainly don't like the taste of beer nor any liquor for that matter. When there's a party, people are gonna want to 'loosen up' with their friends around and there's almost always that one person who takes it too far and gets completely shitfaced and does hilarious things then passes out and we have something like this... Which happened to a friend of mine a while ago. Funny times.
I sometimes drink to get drunk (my stats often take a hammering when I do!), but sometimes because I want to relax after a hard days work, or maybe a drink with a meal...perhaps a beer over a game of pool...
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6520|Πάϊ

Ty wrote:

Word. Wherever there's no limit there's no problem. I could drink from my mommas tit if I wanted to in Greece, so I started at about 18   like everyone else.
ƒ³
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America

Coolbeano wrote:

.:XDR:.PureFodder wrote:

You don't want to be drunk when you learn to drive, shoot guns, fly an aircraft, vote or be in the army, so they let you get into those before you get alcohol.

That's just one viewpoint.
You might accidently vote for Pat Buchanan. Crazy Floridians.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6722|Sydney, Australia

Ty wrote:

... hey, I was going to say [something along the lines of] that.

Mcminty.
DaZeD863
+11|6552
Well for me atleast.. Alot of the fun of drinking went away at 21.. How bout you guys?? I think I have actually cut down since then...
jsnipy
+3,276|6523|...

i started drinking @15 ... as quite a few did where i grew up ... doubt it will actually change anything since 18-21 yo's still drink.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

{XpLiCiTxX} wrote:

Ty wrote:

That's a good point, but no one (at least no one I know) drinks because they like the taste. People drink to get drunk and have a good time (hopefully a safe one).  Before people go to nightclubs they drink to 'loosen up' and have a fun time. I certainly don't like the taste of beer nor any liquor for that matter.
I like the taste of alcohol (not all alcohol) - a nice cold beer is great and a glass or two of wine with meals, I regularly drink alcohol with no intention of getting drunk, because I like it.

21 is a crazy age for drinking and the strictness with which it is enforced is brutal. No European countries have 21 as a legal drinking age and most of them have few problems with drinking (they do a lot of it though). In Britain there is a little bit of a binge drinking problem, but luckily the government are fixing that by letting pubs and bars stay open all night - now that's my kind of solution!
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

jsnipy wrote:

i started drinking @15 ... as quite a few did where i grew up ... doubt it will actually change anything since 18-21 yo's still drink.
All that would change is that people would get into the habit of responsible drinking earlier. If you can go into a bar with friends and have a few drinks, that's much better than drinking illegally. Habits formed at these ages can affect drinking patterns for the rest of your life.

A younger, but still reasonably high, age limit is a good idea because it encourages younger drinkers to get into the pattern of responsible social drinking.
De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6528|Belgium

It's 16 in belgium (and in the netherlands), so I guess 'reducing it to 18' would be stupid. *laughs at 21 age countries*

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard