Poll

Should the drinking age be reduced to 18 years of age?

Hell yes!44%44% - 80
Absolutely not!44%44% - 79
Undecided / Need more information11%11% - 20
Total: 179
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6462|New York
If anyone has read my rebuttles on legalizing marijuana, you will know my position on this. I'm a hypocrite on this topic too, so don't go flaming me.

Can anyone spark a [hopefully] intelligent debate on this?
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6624|Finland

Well, here in Finland the drinking age is 18, and I haven't noticed any negative aspects regarding the agelimit yet.

As to wanting a debate of this matter, you could write some of your own opinions. I suppose you have them, since you started a thread about it.

Last edited by DonFck (2006-10-03 01:31:07)

I need around tree fiddy.
daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6568
age limits are there too be ignored.

Last edited by daffytag (2006-10-03 01:32:17)

DaReJa
BF2s US Server Admin
+257|6619|Los Angeles, California, US.
Nope, Should Not Be Reduced.
Battlelog: DaReJa
MyBFi/BF3i Admin

AKA DanielRJ
GameSurge IRC Network, Support Agent and Staff
Phuzion IRC Network, Support Director and Operator
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
+83|6687|Vancouver BC Canada

daffytag wrote:

age limits are there too be ignored
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Yes, all the way.

Old enough for the military and heavy weapons is old enough for alcohol. I'm a teetotaler, but this is still my opinion. And if age is any indication of personal responsibility, then how come so many middle-aged folk are guilty of DUI's?

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-10-03 01:36:38)

N.A.T.O
The People’s Champion
+59|6432|A drop house
No .18 year olds in America are retarded and mostly irresponsible the last thing they need is a readily supply of alcohol. They will get drunk at party’s were drinking underage should be done. Not any time they like.
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6462|New York
I think that lowering the drinking age would impact the much younger crowd vastly. Think about it the way I am... The drinking age here in New York is 21, I have a lot of friends that are 21 and many that are about to turn 21 soon. Even last year I knew a few and some were good friends. Now, if the drinking age were to be lowered to 18, then people who are 13 and 14, perhaps even lower, are bound to be friends with older people. Now, with that in mind, 18 year olds would (Don't even bullshit me here, because you know they would) buy alcohol for the younger crowd, most likely to make a small profit for going out and getting it for them. I know I sure would. With the age limit dropped, that means that millions of, now adults (seeing that they're 18 now) are legal to go to bars , certain clubs, and purchase alcohol.

I'm pretty sure that one will agree that there will be a direct relationship between automobile accidents and younger people (now that they can legally drink). With the 18 - 20 crowd now being legally able to drink, that means that there are that many more people out getting trashed (in some cases, shitfaced) and maybe getting behind the wheel of a car and causing deaths / other injuries.

This is just one argument that will cause some havoc in here.
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6462|New York
Now, of course if everyone, with no exceptions, was 100% responsible... there would be no reason for age limits, right? Then there would be no reason for police and jails then right?

This world is very imperfect on so many levels it's almost inconceivable to think that the drinking age will ever go lower than 21 (or whatever the current age is where you currently reside).
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708
Yes. Look at holland, drinking age at 16 and hardly anyone having hangovers at school... The younger they expirience alchahol and what it does, the less stupid things they'll do. If you don't lower the age... it wont make a difference on illegal drinking now would it?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
[JUK]semerkhet
+3|6623
well, here in the UK, we've probably got the worst drinking culture in the world...especially when it comes to alcohol related violence.  Thing is, age has nothing to do with it, its just for some reason, most people aged about 15-28 seem to be obsessed with the idea of getting as much alcohol into them as quickly as possible until they get to a stage of alcoholic poisoning.  Lowering you age limit probably wont have much of an effect, other than the ones that are 18-20 will now be drinking legally.
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6730|The Hague, Netherlands

16+   not that strong Alcoholic Drinks
18+ with strong alcoholic Drinks
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6462|New York

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Yes. Look at holland, drinking age at 16 and hardly anyone having hangovers at school... The younger they expirience alchahol and what it does, the less stupid things they'll do. If you don't lower the age... it wont make a difference on illegal drinking now would it?
This would imply that all people are of the same responsibility level. Which is CLEARLY not the case. I'm pretty sure if the drinking age in New York, where I live, were to be 16, 75% of students in high schools would be expelled.

So, you're saying that if I was introduced to a substance (illegally, because at the time it is illegal for me to consume it) I would gain a responsibility for use later on when the use of this substance is legal? What? I can see the argument but it's so far-fetched I bury this under the rug almost instantaniously.
sithao
+63|6618|Los Angeles, California
yes,if yur 18 and old enough to go to war kill people and even possibly die  then i dont see why you shouldnt be able to drink at 18.

Last edited by sithao (2006-10-03 01:50:34)

{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6462|New York

^*AlphA*^ wrote:

16+   not that strong Alcoholic Drinks
18+ with strong alcoholic Drinks
I can see this getting out of hand quickly because by the time they get bored of the sublevel alcohol, they are going to want to try the harder stuff, of course this will get done illegally. This does...kinda go along with what Cyborg said before...but still. I can't see this working out either.
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6730|The Hague, Netherlands

thats how the rules are here in Holland now.........at its not really getting out of hand
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6462|New York

^*AlphA*^ wrote:

thats how the rules are here in Holland now.........at its not really getting out of hand
Sorry, I forgot to add that I was implying that these rules were for the United States.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

{XpLiCiTxX} wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

This would imply that all people are of the same responsibility level. Which is CLEARLY not the case. I'm pretty sure if the drinking age in New York, where I live, were to be 16, 75% of students in high schools would be expelled.

So, you're saying that if I was introduced to a substance (illegally, because at the time it is illegal for me to consume it) I would gain a responsibility for use later on when the use of this substance is legal? What? I can see the argument but it's so far-fetched I bury this under the rug almost instantaniously.
What holland is doing, is that the parents should take care of the kids... not the law.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6462|New York

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

{XpLiCiTxX} wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

What holland is doing, is that the parents should take care of the kids... not the law.
That's definately something that would absolutely never happen here in the states - Parents regulating alcohol consuption.
Mongoose
That 70's guy
+156|6523|Sydney, in 1978
you americans have wacky laws, its 18 in the rest of the civilised world, so why not you guys?
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6624|Finland

{XpLiCiTxX} wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

It's a complete paradox, yet there must be some truth in it. I can only speak IMO, but everyone here does it, don't they?

The first time I've had alcohol was when I was 13 or so, under supervision of my parents. Just one beer, a mild beer, I might add. later on I had small amounts of different alcohol drinks, also under supervision. Of course there was getting drunk unsupervised in parks during weekends with friends (naturally). I consider myself now, 13 years later that I'm a responsible drinker, and have been that already before I turned 18. Why? Dunno?

Did the fact that I've been introduced to alcohol young have to do with it? Perhaps. I remember my classmates from that time (early to mid- 90's) to whom alcohol was forbidden by their parents altogether. They are getting shitfaced still today. It's peculiar, but an observation I've made.

Regarding alcohol related traffic accidents, IMHO the driving age should be lifted to 18.

Last edited by DonFck (2006-10-03 02:00:20)

I need around tree fiddy.
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6462|New York

Mongoose wrote:

you americans have wacky laws, its 18 in the rest of the civilised world, so why not you guys?
There's no way you're going to hear me say (except for this time) America sucks, but yeah, we do have some laws that need some attention.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708
21 you buy beer in the US
18 you can buy a gun.

Which is more dangerous?
N.A.T.O
The People’s Champion
+59|6432|A drop house

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

21 you buy beer in the US
18 you can buy a gun.

Which is more dangerous?
Beer + gun = dangerous
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6767|Noizyland

There needs to be NO drinking age.
I'm not just saying that to be cool either, 'cause I'm above the legal drinking age here.
Unfortunatly there's a psyche that alcoholic drinks are awesome because there's an age limit. Without an age limit, there would be no problem as alcohol would no longer be a huge thing. People would be educated through their lives and it wouldn't matter. Most likely people woldn't get into drinking until they're in their mid-teens at least anyway - think back, when you were a kid did you like the taste of anything alcoholic? I know I didn't.
Unfortunatly this would take a huge re-modeling in society, it couldn't b implimented straight away because a lot of twelve-year-olds would get alcohol poisioning. As Alcohol is something that kids, (and older under he drinking age - 21, honestly USA...) are apparently forbidden and thus want, (human conditon - you always want what you don't have,) drinking wll remain a problem.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard