unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

uziq wrote:

if saying something "isn't news", when a story is very much in the headlines around the world globally, isn't an act of minimization, then what is?
It's probably callous timing, but "isn't news" can of course be congruous to "nothing new," etc. from place to place. I'd avoid using it because, like you say, it can also be interpreted as "non-story" in a much more dismissive tone.

It's routine news for a lot of Americans, and for some the impact is dulled by its high frequency until something impacts in or near their circle.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

The cops just don't want to work anymore. Nobody wants to work anymore.

I uncovered an identify theft ring just the other day. The cops didn't want to investigate. Newbie called me a Karen but there are 10 grieving families victims of identity theft that wouldn't call me a Karen. Newbie, what would you say to the families of identity theft victims?
Really, mac? The grieving families probably have your credit card woes at the bottom of their list of priorities.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Dilbert_X wrote:

The whole of South America is a 'cartel murder belt'.

The point is you did it as an adult and didn't care about the consequences.

Stop being a hypocrite, I sincerely recommend it.

On topic:

Police sitting on their asses as an event unfolds isn't news.

Lindt Street Siege - Police snipers pent 12+ hours debating whether they could shoot someone holding a shotgun to someone's head before he pulled the trigger - without themselves facing a potential murder charge. Eventually decided not to risk it and waited for him to shoot someone.

Melbourne Aircraft bomb - After being told passengers had disarmed a nut with a fake bomb waited another hour before going in.

Ariana Grande Concert Bombing - Police waited three hours before declaring it a major incident and blocked paramedics for 30+ minutes

Its easy to say someone else needs to be brave but US police are very well compensated and probably shouldn't take the job if they don't want to do it.
lindt cafe was such a fucking shitshow they took away guns from swat teams in NSW.

but they did get most of the hostages out cos yta know its a hostage negotiation etc and a siege, not exactly "cops were cowards" moment, unlike this one in texas.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

dilbert wrote:

Its easy to say someone else needs to be brave but US police are very well compensated and probably shouldn't take the job if they don't want to do it.
Baseline, police in America have no constitutional duty to protect you, though some may want to or make an attempt. Courts support them on this. Cue the reasonable "then what good are they," the expected "you are responsible for your own security."

From there on, things can sometimes get a little more complicated.

w-ex: 'Coward of Broward' Scot Peterson says he did nothing wrong during Parkland shooting
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news … d-shooting
uziq
+492|3422
isn't there a bit of a gulf between 'we have no legal/constitutional duty to protect you', as in, police officers can't be tried for negligence whenever they mess up in their duty of protecting people ... and 'you are singularly unsuited for the specific job you have been trained, and repeatedly drilled, on'.

the police/SWAT team responsible for this response had conducted multiple drills in that exact school before. there's photos of them online in their full tacti-cool gear checking corners and whatever the fuck in the very school. do we really need to rely on the fine print and obiter dicta of the supreme court here to state that ... perhaps these guys ... fucked up at their one single job?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Why are they even employed if they have no duty to do anything?

Their unions must be amazing. I blame the left.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

uziq wrote:

isn't there a bit of a gulf between 'we have no legal/constitutional duty to protect you', as in, police officers can't be tried for negligence whenever they mess up in their duty of protecting people ... and 'you are singularly unsuited for the specific job you have been trained, and repeatedly drilled, on'.

the police/SWAT team responsible for this response had conducted multiple drills in that exact school before. there's photos of them online in their full tacti-cool gear checking corners and whatever the fuck in the very school. do we really need to rely on the fine print and obiter dicta of the supreme court here to state that ... perhaps these guys ... fucked up at their one single job?
The link I posted above is an example of a resource officer who iirc didn't get much sympathy from the court. In other cases I've read about, police have gotten away with literally shrugging off calls, and were protected from follow-up lawsuits by victims. That the police may not get to you in time or might not even bother with it is of no insignificance to pro-gun in America. "You're going to have to defend yourself, because nobody else will."
uziq
+492|3422
but they were called plenty of times and were on the scene for most of the shooting.

it's really stretching credulity to state, in the face of a whole police department who cordoned off an active-shooter situation, that they 'ackshually have no constitutional duty to save people'. what were they setting up a perimeter for, a spectator sport?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I don't bring it up as some 'ackshually' shield against a moral picture/commentary, but rather more as a legal state of things. At most I expect to hear of a resignation or two out of shame. I know, I'm not happy with it either.
uziq
+492|3422
gotcha.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

but rather more as a legal state of things.
and the states could legislate those duties in but do they choose to? naw, they ran the arguments they have no duties.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
uziq
+492|3422
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686
whats ur take on mr "i used to be a spy" baker, bro joegan seems to like him a lot.
Larssen
+99|1857
another day another school shooting in america
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Larssen wrote:

another day another school shooting in america
Stomach-churningly accurate. Will be dulled by the next dozen mass shootings. We're not even at the halfway marker point through the year yet.
uziq
+492|3422

Cybargs wrote:

whats ur take on mr "i used to be a spy" baker, bro joegan seems to like him a lot.
i don't have time to pay attention to joe rogan lmao. this is just a random twitter thread that got like-bumped into my feed.

i don't think you need to be a spy to find stuff on the police dept's facebook feed or website though.

Last edited by uziq (2022-05-28 08:33:32)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

uziq wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

i don't have time to pay attention to joe rogan lmao. this is just a random twitter thread that got like-bumped into my feed.

i don't think you need to be a spy to find stuff on the police dept's facebook feed or website though.
ahhh kk thought you followed him or something.
uziq
+492|3422
90% of the twitter things i post here aren't from accounts i follow. the site got majorly reworked a few years ago so that a large proportion of your feed now is stuff that other people like/RT. it's more of a content aggregator in that way, like facebook's newsfeed (idk what that's like now, i'm comparing it to the newsfeed of 2010).

joe rogan is straight trash in every conceivable way though.

Last edited by uziq (2022-05-28 22:22:13)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

GOP Congressman comes out in support of assault weapons ban after shootings in Uvalde and his hometown of Buffalo
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics … reappshare

- GOP Rep. Chris Jacobs said he would support an assault weapons ban.
- Jacobs also said he would support a lower magazine capacity for guns and a ban on body armor sales.
- The congressman reevaluated his stance on assault weapons after shootings in Uvalde and Buffalo.
Interesting. I know why body armor was included with this, but it's still kind of funny that if he got what he wanted, you could still buy guns but not armor. It's not like I wear or own a vest, but I might want one if I worked a lot in dodgy towns.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Talking about banning things entirely just creates opposition, and there will be no hand-in.

Also the 2A never allowed people to own guns for hunting or self-defence, only defence of the state.

Trained reservists should still be allowed to have access to 'assault rifles', teenage maniacs probably not.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

GOP Congressman comes out in support of assault weapons ban after shootings in Uvalde and his hometown of Buffalo
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics … reappshare

- GOP Rep. Chris Jacobs said he would support an assault weapons ban.
- Jacobs also said he would support a lower magazine capacity for guns and a ban on body armor sales.
- The congressman reevaluated his stance on assault weapons after shootings in Uvalde and Buffalo.
Interesting. I know why body armor was included with this, but it's still kind of funny that if he got what he wanted, you could still buy guns but not armor. It's not like I wear or own a vest, but I might want one if I worked a lot in dodgy towns.
you would go to a job site in kevlar?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
i saw an advert for a business that was selling kevlar or kevlar-adjacent, bulletproof fashion for schoolchildren. a bulletproof hoody. a backpack with a plate in it, etc. imagine living in a first-world country and thinking this was the normal and reasonable price for 'freedom'. clothing your child every day for school, which should be the most carefree days of their lives, ready for a massacre.

it's also amazing that conservatives have spent 2 years moaning about how wearing paper masks 'traumatises' children and affects their development ... whilst also thinking that weekly mass shooting drills, armed guards/armed teachers, locked down schools with penitentiary-style entrances/exits, etc, are somehow not emotionally affecting at all. lmao. sounds like going to school in america is on the same high-tension, stress-making level as crossing a border post in the gaza strip or living in apartheid SA. 'the schoolteacher left a DOOR propped open!' yeah, what the fuck, it's a school on a hot summer day? schools and campuses should be relatively open environments. the fuck?

i've seen lots of frustration and anger from american public figures when fingered on this issue by european or non-american reporters. 'listen, buddy, this is the free-est and most wonderful country in the history of the world!' i don't think conservative americans, particularly the more parochial type, can even countenance the fact that, for most people, the price of the american brand of 'freedom' is insanely, like delusionally, high. whilst it's true that for several generations america has been the pre-eminent economic power, the place to be if you want to 'make it' and improve your circumstances, yada yada, i think increasingly so now there are plenty of populations in the world who are just fine with their 'commie' gubmints protecting them.

i don't see anything so uniquely 'free' about american life that i'd be prepared to worry about ducking bullets for it, you know? if europe or east asia is 'unfree', i'm cool with that. what're the unique advantages of american democracy at this point? you get to shoot cans with your redneck friends in the woods? oh, you have to file your own tax returns? amazing.

Last edited by uziq (2022-05-28 23:20:30)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

you would go to a job site in kevlar?
Weird "catch," read again. To clarify, I wouldn't want to go a job site at all if I felt the need for it.

No comment on the Republican who wants to ban armor but let's not get too hasty about a broader spectrum of firearms?

uziq wrote:

i saw an advert for a business that was selling kevlar or kevlar-adjacent, bulletproof fashion for schoolchildren. a bulletproof hoody. a backpack with a plate in it, etc. imagine living in a first-world country and thinking this was the normal and reasonable price for 'freedom'. clothing your child every day for school, which should be the most carefree days of their lives, ready for a massacre.
This stuff is supposed to be at home in an Onion article. SMH that it's an actual product(s).

https://guarddog-security.com/products/ … ition-teal

It's the year 2060 and each American child who doesn't make the Sparta cut gets booted off a cliff.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Sparring pads on students at all times for when the "resource officer" decides to go ham.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The strange thing is America is about the least likely country in the world to face a land invasion and actually need a well armed and highly trained (moving on...) citizens militia.

Is this really what people there think?

Mind you I did watch an episode of Red Jacket Firearms in which the local police chief decided he needed his swamp boat outfitted with a MK19 grenade launcher in case Al Qaeda launched a sneak attack through the everglades.
Good lord.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard