• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • 7800 gt, 20-40 fps avg on a full 64 player server. Why??
lendll
+16|6456
Hi,
Here's my specs:

DFI lanparty nf4 Ultra-d (bios?)
AMD Opteron 165 toledo (dual core @ 1.8 ghz)
Corsair TWINX2048-4000pt 2x1 GB DDR 500(PC 4000)@ddr400 (with the same loose pc 4000 memory timings)
eVGA 7800 gt co (running@ pci-x 2x right now. Gonna send it in for repairs and see if I can get it running @pci-x 16x again)
x-fi xtrememusic
WD WD2500KS 250 gig SATA
Nec ND-3550A 16x8x16x DVD+R/RW IDE
OCZ Powerstream 520w with adjustable power rails
Windows XP professional w/SP2

I bought my computer mainly to run bf2@maxed out@1152x resolution, but I'm not getting the fps I desire. On a full 64 player server, I get around 20-40 fps avg, which looks bad, to say the least. However, when I'm on an nearly empty 64 player server or 32 player on the same maps, I get 60-100 fps...the fps never drops below 60.

So I know it has something to do with the amount of people that are on the server.

As you can see in my specs, I have a relatively low clocked cpu(but dual-core), and pc4000 ram running @pc 3200(ddr 400), with the relaxed timings meant for the ram to run @ddr500. And for some reason, my 7800 gt only runs in pci-x 2x mode, but I will send it for repairs soon to see if I can get it running in pci-x 16x mode again. HOWEVER, I had a 7900 gt that ran in pci-x 16x mode, and I had similiar fps results.

So I am confused. Most reviews I read showed the 7800 gt well capable of running bf2 maxed out with above 60+ fps avg. Also, the more I research my problem, the more I see people with similiar or even LESS powerful hardware getting better fps than I am running maxed quality...

What can be causing my problem? What should I do to fix it? I have a few options: get a faster clocked 2.4 ghz 3800+ venice cpu*(cheapest route. ~$120); get *real* pc3200 ram with tighter memory timings(expensive);  or get a 7950 gt(~$300. very expensive).

I am mad because I spent big bucks on my computer and am getting subpar results, for the hardware I have that is, imo. It is Most important that I choose the right component to upgrade, as spending money on one item will delay buying another.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated, thank you.

And sorry if you read this already in the "Post your recommended specs..." thread; no one was responding though, and I would like to get some help:P

*I've read that any cpu clocked below 2.2 ghz will be a bottleneck to 7800 and higher video cards, making the cheap 2.4 ghz single core processor even more attractive.

Last edited by lendll (2006-10-15 23:53:44)

Des.Kmal
+917|6641|Atlanta, Georgia, USA
its ur CPU!!! holy shit!1 get a new one.

sry though, thats why, everything else is good dude, dw about those. its ur cpu's fault. its ghey!!!
Add me on Origin for Battlefield 4 fun: DesKmal
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6867|Waikato, Aotearoa
yeah dude - get a better processor. o and another 7800 if your mobo supports it
spud924
+12|6476|The Sticks, WA, USA

-101-InvaderZim wrote:

yeah dude - get a better processor. o and another 7800 if your mobo supports it
lendll
+16|6456
Thank you for your help guys! It's very appreciated.

Des.Kmal wrote:

sry though, thats why, everything else is good dude, dw about those. its ur cpu's fault. its ghey!!!
I will get a new cpu *if* it will fix my problem 90% guaranteed. And I assume you mean get a single-core, higher clocked cpu, right? Do you think you can provide some facts or evidence that a new cpu will help me? When I was building my computer, everybody told me go dual-core. On top of that, I even read reviews showing that when the graphics are maxed out, dual-core and single-core processors perform the same, and the fps burden falls onto the graphics card:/

I would just like to make a wise decision this time around, as I don't understand how I'm not getting the results I should.

O btw, does "dw" mean don't worry? lol;p

Thx yall, later:p

*edit* my mobo doesn't support sli =/ So far getting a new cpu is in the lead, which is very good, since they are very cheap.

Last edited by lendll (2006-09-30 19:24:57)

Des.Kmal
+917|6641|Atlanta, Georgia, USA
yeah dude, get a better SINGLE FUCKING CORE (lol ) CPU. fps is 40% gpu, 40% cpu, and 10% RAM (for gaming, not rendering the image whatsoever, so dont get me confused with a crackface) btw, those were estimates, but the cpu has ALOT to do with the fps.

also, bf2 hates dual cores from what ive seen. in two internet cafes... both blowed when i put it on high settings. even medium..... kindof......

anyway, here is one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6819103622

perfecto. buy that, it is awesome. best deal i found.
Add me on Origin for Battlefield 4 fun: DesKmal
lendll
+16|6456

Des.Kmal wrote:

yeah dude, get a better SINGLE FUCKING CORE (lol ) CPU. fps is 40% gpu, 40% cpu, and 10% RAM (for gaming, not rendering the image whatsoever, so dont get me confused with a crackface) btw, those were estimates, but the cpu has ALOT to do with the fps.

also, bf2 hates dual cores from what ive seen. in two internet cafes... both blowed when i put it on high settings. even medium..... kindof......

anyway, here is one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6819103622

perfecto. buy that, it is awesome. best deal i found.
lol:P Thx for the help dude(s). Even on other forums I posted on, they said the same thing. I just hope everyone is right, because money is MONEY!!!

I think I'll plan to get either the 4000+ San Diego for $151, or the 3800+ venice for $110. Both are 2.4 ghz, but the sandy has 1 mb l2 cache, while the 3800+ has 512 kb l2 cache. Is the extra $40 worth twice the cache?

Thank you for your help guys!!

later:)
tehz
<3 Bosnia
+11|6524|gulf of oman
what do you mean by "loose timings" on your ram? can you post what your timings are at ddr400 speed?
fix your 7800 to run in 16x mode, something is amiss there.
get the 3700+ sandy.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6591|NYC / Hamburg

you have everything you need to do some serious overclocking (maybe except a good cooler, but they are cheap). you should be able to raise the speed  to about 2.3 without any overvolting. also you could still run your ram 1:1. why the hell do you buy this stuff and not oc it. dont listen to the other people, the opty 165 is terriffic if you oc it.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Greenpanda
+6|6545
Instead of spending more money on a new CPU, see if you can OC it a little.
lendll
+16|6456
Thanks for the replies guys:)

Tehz:
My memory timings are 3-4-4-8-1T. I'm going to get my video card fixed(if it's causing the 16x slot problem) asap, but I doubt that that's going to fix my low fps problem, as I had a 7900 gt co that ran perfectly in the PCIe 16x slot, while giving similiar avg fps in bf2.

Max:
I tried oc'n (That's why I bought the specific components), but it was unstable @ ~2.2 ghz with my ram @1:1, stock voltages. However, this is the only setting I tried iirc, and I'm contemplating another attempt to oc. In light of that, I am still reluctant to overclock, because I don't know what in the world caused my 7800 gt to stop running in the PCIe 16x slot, and the only two causes I can think of was my oc'n attempt, and a brief moment when I forgot to plug in the PCIe power connector to the card, heh.

Another problem I have with oc'n is that I don't know any *newb*-friendly overclocking guides, and oc'n this sytem seems kinda complicated for me.

If you guys can point me to a *newb*-friendly oc'n guide, I will appreciate it. Maybe then, I can avoid buying new hardware, especially since a 2.2 ghz opty will be more powerful than a 2.2 ghz venice:p

--

Thanks for the help guys, later:p

Last edited by lendll (2006-10-01 01:29:55)

cosworth1983
+21|6509|Enschede / Netherlands
Did you reset your bios through the jumper after you OC'ed?,    If not,  maybe you forgot to set some thing to its default,  what makes the card go in x2 mode.
And the bottleneck is definitely your cpu,   the dual-core part isn't helping much right now,  BF2 only uses 1.

Greetz
lendll
+16|6456
Thanks for your reply:)

cosworth1983 wrote:

Did you reset your bios through the jumper after you OC'ed?,    If not,  maybe you forgot to set some thing to its default,  what makes the card go in x2 mode.
And the bottleneck is definitely your cpu,   the dual-core part isn't helping much right now,  BF2 only uses 1.

Greetz
Yea I reset my cmos in two ways for varying periods of time. It didn't help my card to run in x16 mode. I'm believing that the problem has more to do with my card than the slot, since my 7900 gt that I gave away ran perfectly in the x16 slot(but gave similiar fps performance).

I'm not thinking I should try to oc. Anyone know a *newb*-friendly oc'n guide for my system?

Thanks everybody:p
motherdear
+25|6675|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)
don't get a single core, just buy an intel dual core way more effective amd and more stabile to. but is your windows 64 bit edition because that can cause a lot of problems for bf2 and other programs (make them lag and fuck up). but i have an intel dual-core t2300 1,6 ghz and i got no problems at all, but i also run it on medium that might be the difference. by the way amd dual core suck compared to intel period.
Ryan
+1,230|6867|Alberta, Canada

lendll wrote:

Des.Kmal wrote:

I will get a new cpu *if* it will fix my problem 90% guaranteed. And I assume you mean get a single-core, higher clocked cpu, right? Do you think you can provide some facts or evidence that a new cpu will help me? When I was building my computer, everybody told me go dual-core. On top of that, I even read reviews showing that when the graphics are maxed out, dual-core and single-core processors perform the same, and the fps burden falls onto the graphics card:/

I would just like to make a wise decision this time around, as I don't understand how I'm not getting the results I should.

*edit* my mobo doesn't support sli =/ So far getting a new cpu is in the lead, which is very good, since they are very cheap.
What about the other 10%?
lendll
+16|6456

ryan_14 wrote:

lendll wrote:

Des.Kmal wrote:

What about the other 10%?
lol. Well right now I'm like 99% sure it's the low clock of my cpu that's causing my low fps. Everybody is showing me that with the same video card(or less powerful) and same amount of ram, but with a higher-clocked cpu, they get much much better fps than I do. At this moment I'm thinking about oc'n my cpu to at least 2.2 ghz, and see how that turns out. If it doesn't work out(and nothing is damaged), I'll buy a 4000+ sandy  or 3800+ venice.

motherdear wrote:

don't get a single core, just buy an intel dual core way more effective amd and more stabile to. but is your windows 64 bit edition because that can cause a lot of problems for bf2 and other programs (make them lag and fuck up). but i have an intel dual-core t2300 1,6 ghz and i got no problems at all, but i also run it on medium that might be the difference. by the way amd dual core suck compared to intel period.
I would buy a intel dual core(if it's the newer ones), but that just means getting a whole new system, which I can't do right now:/ I actually built this system earlier this year, so building a whole new one less than 10 months down the road is not the best option for me, lol.

Thanks for the help guys!:p
lendll
+16|6456
Sup yall:p

WHEW, I had an extremely close call just now. I was trying to oc, and failed miserably. Not only will my opteron hit 2.2 ghz, but I destroyed some windows boot file in the process. When I put in the installation disk, it wouldn't work. So I tried another--wouldn't work. So I get worried as hell that I can't even reinstall windows!

I then see if my ram is to blame, take out one stick, and the installation disk works:p Knowing how newb I am to os, I gave the recovery console a try. I found out about "fixboot," and luckily fixed my problem!! Right now I'm running with 1 gig ram, but I'll try 2 gigs as soon as I hug my working computer some.

That was a scary experience. All sorts of stuff was runnin through my mind: "Damn, do I have to get a new hdd?!?! $250+ on new ram?!!? $150 on a new legit windows cd?!!?!?! AND THEN buy a 2.4 ghz processor!?!?"
eheh, whew. So no overclocking for me.

Moral of the story kids: God is Good:)

*edit* someone gave me karma for wishing he can help me. LoL Thx for both the karma and good intentions:p

Last edited by lendll (2006-10-01 15:44:37)

lendll
+16|6456
Hey guys:D

Great news! I can now overclock 600 mhz and more!! And the best part is, I get MUCH more fps than before. Thank you for the help guys, much appreciated and helpful, thank you!

I'm thinking of getting a custom cpu fan to see if I can get a stable 2.5 ghz+. Right now, my cpu is at 2.4 ghz with my ram running @ DDR 484. It's pretty game stable. I just now put my command per clock rate @1t, and I'll see if I get any noticable increase in performance with the same stability.

Once again thank you guys! Later:)

l8r=]

Last edited by lendll (2006-10-11 22:35:16)

lendll
+16|6456
Hey guys=]
I noticed this problem. Whenever a lot of people are on the screen or around the area, I still get 30-20ish fps, even though I get high fps when the area is congested with people. Could my cpu be causing this problem? Overall, I've gotten maybe a 30-50 fps increase by oc'n from 1.8 ghz to 2.4 ghz, so I'm not sure if the problem is still my cpu or my video card, or even ram.

Thank you for your help guys, later!:p
Aegis
Sailor with no BF2 Navy
+19|6768|I'm worldwide, beotch

Des.Kmal wrote:

My dualie does quite well... BF2 doesn't hate any one particular piece of hardware, just shitty hardware in general.
lendll
+16|6456

Aegis wrote:

Des.Kmal wrote:

My dualie does quite well... BF2 doesn't hate any one particular piece of hardware, just shitty hardware in general.
I don't think opteron is shitty, (yes I know this wasn't addressed to me hehe=] )
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6621|Seattle

I saw a greeat guide on this site on overclocking a while back. Search and Ye Shall Find
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
lendll
+16|6456

King_County_Downy wrote:

I saw a greeat guide on this site on overclocking a while back. Search and Ye Shall Find
Thank you=] Overclocking isn't a problem for me(till I reach my hardware's limit). I'm overclocked 600 mhz on stock voltage right now(2.4 ghz), memory's at DDR 480 with 1t timing. I tried 2.5 ghz with DDR 500, but I'd crash after a few rounds or so etc, so I clocked back down. I'm going to attempt to oc much higher once I get a custom cpu cooler, but for now, the fps gain I've got from oc'n has been incredible. It's just that I still get low fps when a lot of people are around my immediate area, and I don't know why;/ After g80 cards come out, I'm going to think of my options for a video card upgrade:p

Thanks for your help, later:D
slo5oh
+28|6684
#1 DO NOT LISTEN TO ALL THE MORONS TELLING YOU THAT YOUR CPU SUCKS!!!

Overclock it for sure learn how here Look for my post.

Before you even do that though.  Figure out why your video card is "running@ pci-x 2x right now" THAT'S WHAT IS HOLDING YOU BACK!!!  Granted that at 8x you won't fully saturate the bus since I'm getting over 100fps with my 7900gt and my board maxes out at 8x unless I go SLI, but at 2x you're seriously bottlenecking that card.

If you're going to be dumb and listen to these idiots by replacing your CPU I'll buy it from you (please PM the stepping first though).  The opteron 165s are the diamonds of the AMD 64 series.  I can also tell you that newegg has FX-55s for about $150.  Check fatwallet.
lendll
+16|6456

slo5oh wrote:

#1 DO NOT LISTEN TO ALL THE MORONS TELLING YOU THAT YOUR CPU SUCKS!!!

Overclock it for sure learn how here Look for my post.

Before you even do that though.  Figure out why your video card is "running@ pci-x 2x right now" THAT'S WHAT IS HOLDING YOU BACK!!!  Granted that at 8x you won't fully saturate the bus since I'm getting over 100fps with my 7900gt and my board maxes out at 8x unless I go SLI, but at 2x you're seriously bottlenecking that card.

If you're going to be dumb and listen to these idiots by replacing your CPU I'll buy it from you (please PM the stepping first though).  The opteron 165s are the diamonds of the AMD 64 series.  I can also tell you that newegg has FX-55s for about $150.  Check fatwallet.
I'm definitely not buying a new cpu now, lol. I've never overclocked 600-700 mhz on STOCK VOLTAGE/STOCK COOLING!!:p The main reason I haven't rma'd my card yet is because if I do, I have to wait 2 precious weeks without a working computer to get the card back, and I'm a video game slut:/ But I just might buy a cheap PCIe card to so I'll have a working computer during the rma process, and I'll probably be able to play older(less fun) games like Enemy territory and Quake 2. I just don't wanna go a whole two weeks without bf2, but the trade off is probably worth it. I've been thinking more to get a whole new card altogether, but that will be around Dec./Jan., so I'm trying to squeeze as much fps as I can from oc'n my opty before I make the plunge. That'll take getting a new cpu cooler, imo, money that would otherwise be spent on a cheap temporary PCIe card. If I can get so much more fps oc'n 600 mhz, I can probably see some more fps oc'n 200-300 mhz higher to 2.6-2.8 ghz;D

So you think running @ PCIe x2 is causing my low fps problem when a lot of people are in my immediate e-area? I'm not sure why my card is running at x2 right now. It's definitely not my mobo though, because the mobo tech support helped me isolate that as not causing the problem. The problem may be due to my accidently not plugging in the PCIe power cable to the card, the first time I tried to use it. The card still worked, but I eventually got a warning in desktop saying that the card had to be clocked down because it wasn't plugged into the powersupply. Otherwise, I have no idea why it's not working. I'm going to if I can find out by calling eVGA and going to their forum, etc.

Thanks for your help, later!:p

Last edited by lendll (2006-10-12 12:01:03)

• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • 7800 gt, 20-40 fps avg on a full 64 player server. Why??

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard