{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6470|New York
I found this while browsing Entensity.net and found it really interesting.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD … Myths.html

Any thoughts?
ilinear
Bigger. Better. ilinear.
+27|6446|Lisburn, NI
Quite alot of myths there, I admit I believed a few of them... Wow...

I might Get Opera now...
jsnipy
+3,276|6523|...

I like the extensibility .. I have to use both anyway .. no silverbullet ... unless it comes form ur brain ...
The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6642|Deep In The South Of Texas
I've been using Opera for a while, and I like it better than FF.
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6470|New York
I've always been a longtime user of Firefox, but after reading up about Opera for the past hour or so, it looks like I may have to switch over for a bit.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6685|Espoo, Finland
Definately gonna try Opera now.
I was under the impression that they were close to identical in performance.
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6806|Portland, OR, USA

Ugh, I absolutely hate Opera. It has some really annoying rendering bugs. I've given up trying to make my sites look right in Opera.

Firefox for me! It displays pretty much everything as intended and with extensions, it's my all-in-one program. I get my weather, keep up to date on sites via feeds, etc.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6628|UK
meh, ff has spell check, thats good enough for me

(beta 2)
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6685|Espoo, Finland

Viper007Bond wrote:

Ugh, I absolutely hate Opera. It has some really annoying rendering bugs. I've given up trying to make my sites look right in Opera.

Firefox for me! It displays pretty much everything as intended and with extensions, it's my all-in-one program. I get my weather, keep up to date on sites via feeds, etc.
Did you get hose problems often or just on a couple of sites?
GotMex?
$623,493,674,868,715.98 in Debt
+193|6763

Reality: Firefox displays the pages I design with XHTML/CSS perfectly.
Reality: IE turns my design to mush.

I do a lot of web design and all I know is that whenever I fire up my pages in firefox, they display exactly like I imagined them and like I wrote my code. Then I fire them up on IE and it never fails to piss me off how terrible it comes out. Plus FFox has that cool Web Developer plugin that lets you do so many useful things.

Real Reality: Unless you are a web developer, it really makes no difference what browser you are using.

Why should your average user care if a page is CSS compliant or not? I mean us developers are spending countless hours tweaking our code so that it'll work for all those IE users out there, so to your average user all pages render perfectly fine and they will see no difference. If we stopped designing for IE people might feel the need to change... but who would really want to do that?

With IE7 coming out, which I already tested and liked, the browser market is going to get even more competitive.
EnglishLion
+2|6580
Using Opera for PocketPC to write this, use FF & IE on desktop PC. Tried IE7 beta but my HP All-in-one printer software stopped working. I did like IE7 though.

No software's perfect though!
De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6528|Belgium

mmm don't believe everything you read

A) Specs of IE are lower: DUUH, it's build in the operating system while FF is an extern browser.
B) IE is faster: IE is loaded faster because it is loaded ALL THE TIME (because it is build in the OS). FF loads slower, but if opened, it is faster. (especially with fasterfox).
C) Market share, dunno, what's the difference between 9% and 10%... And again, if you have a monopoly and almost force users to use it, yes you have the largest market share, but who cares about 9% or 10%
D) ActiveX: Do you guys have any idea what you agree when you agree to install activeX? it can do ANYTHING, I repeat ANYTHING on your pc. Javascripts are more secure here.
E) Firefox is not secure: There are bugs, even in opera. But it's still a small amount compared to Internet Exploiter. (The VML exploit has patched a few days ago and already there is the new BO exploit in IE).
F) Ieaddons? That's the first I hear about this, so can't give opinion. But on first sight: calling a flash player in IE an add on... With FF you have a really basic browser and you can put add ons if you like.
G) IE 6 supports tabs: Yes the MSN toolbar uses tabs, but that's not the browser, it's a toolbar And I don't want to download all these crappy toolbars.

I'm not saying opera is bad, on the contrary, opera is very good. But I have found more bugs in them than in FF so it's more annoying.
Also, I don't understand why they are comparing FF1.x vs IE 7 at a moment. That's just BS, compare the new version of FF with the new of IE or the old with the old.
Firefox is still a better alternative than IE. Period. IE is very insecure. Opera is okay but when I used it, I had some problems with it.

So I'll stay with FF.

Just my two cents
BlackLegion42
Damn Command and Conquer Generals...
+62|6730|Rochester, NY
After reading that... I am going to Opera...
Maj.Do
+85|6752|good old CA
hmmm i have Opera but right now im using Firefox...hmmmm dont really like firefox 2.0 RC1 because my Session manager wont work with it : \
any other extenstion that has a session manager?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

What irratates me more that FF fanboi's, is people say that you are one because you use FF. I also use Opera, however I prefer the layout of FF to Opera. Perhaps one day I'll get around to completly switching over.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Cold Fussion
72% alcohol
+63|6668|Sydney, Australia
Firefox loads faster then opera 9 for me And we all know that IE is a glorified peice of shit.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

Reality
Opera owns Firefox, end of story.
GotMex?
+193|6763

Ok, I found a site that talks about "Web browser standards support" for IE6, 7, FFox 1.5, and Opera 9. This seems a bit more revealing than the "Firefox myths" uptop. Check it out, just give a quick look at the numbers and you'll see the real picture. http://www.webdevout.net/browser_support.php

Edit: Here's a more condensed summary of the link above if you'd rather see this. http://www.webdevout.net/browser_support_summary.php

Last edited by GotMex? (2006-10-08 10:46:33)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

GotMex? wrote:

Ok, I found a site that talks about "Web browser standards support" for IE6, 7, FFox 1.5, and Opera 9. This seems a bit more revealing than the "Firefox myths" uptop. Check it out, just give a quick look at the numbers and you'll see the real picture. http://www.webdevout.net/browser_support.php

Edit: Here's a more condensed summary of the link above if you'd rather see this. http://www.webdevout.net/browser_support_summary.php
Ok.... But it doesnt give you an overall answer, just tons of information which was put together clumsily.
GotMex?
+193|6763

True... but that "Smiley face render" that Opera is the only one that succeeds at is also pretty useless, yet most Opera defenders seem to use it as their defense. You can see here that FFox 1.5 has the most standards support, that's just the facts.

But like I said, in the end it doesn't really matter what you use because sites are designed to be viewed well in any browser. You could use IE, the devil browser itself, and it wouldn't make a slight difference because web designers spend countless hours optimizing sites for IE.

So Opera, FFox, Safari, IE, Netscape... it's all just a matter of preference in the end. I just use FFox cause of the Web Developer plug-in, that's all. I'm sure opera is a fine browser but I'm happy with what I have now.
san4
The Mas
+311|6689|NYC, a place to live
These are my two favorites from that page:

Most Secure Web Browser

Myth - "Firefox is the Most Secure Web Browser" - Example

Reality - Opera is currently the most Secure Graphical Web Browser in Windows. - Source
Um, where does IE 6 rank?

Patch Time

Myth - "Firefox Vulnerabilities are Quickly Patched" - Example

Reality - Multiple vulnerabilities have remained unpatched for a long time. - Source

SA12403 - Unpatched since 08-30-2004
SA12580 - Unpatched since 09-18-2004
First, these two "vulnerabilities" are rated "less critical" by Secunia. Second, IE6 has eighteen unpatched vulnerabilities, and one of them is rated extremely critical. Third, statistics show that, on average, vulnerabilities in Firefox are fixed faster than in IE6.

That page is highly deceptive. Opera is a fine piece of software, but nothing on that page means that there is anything wrong with Firefox.
rh27
Not really a Brit
+51|6597|England
As a web developer, I use all 3. But more recently I've started using Opera more, not because it's noticeably better but just because I prefer it to FF or IE.

Also, at all other developers, if your page looks screwy in IE first time, you're a poor coder, period. There aren't that many rendering bugs in IE at all, and it's just a case of knowing what they are and having your code layed out correctly so as not to cause problems.
GotMex?
+193|6763

rh27 wrote:

Also, at all other developers, if your page looks screwy in IE first time, you're a poor coder, period. There aren't that many rendering bugs in IE at all, and it's just a case of knowing what they are and having your code layed out correctly so as not to cause problems.
The IE representation of the Box Model is a MAJOR rendering issue. All my layouts that use set widths, borders, padding, margins, and float attributes display like shit in IE. You have to implement hacks in order to get the boxes to display as you intended them to.
pers0nah
Waste Kid
+271|6583|MANCHESTERRR
Just started using Opera because of this Topic, have to say the speed has impressed me. Gonna go see if i can get a cool skin

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard