The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6492|Los Angeles
The Republican Senate completed the double play started by the House today, passing a bill which grants Bush the power of indefinite, unreviewable detention - even of American citizens. The bill also legalizes various torture techniques.

You can read the full text of the bill by searching for bill # 6166 here or download the PDF here

Most opponents of the bill focus on the fact that it authorizes interrogation techniques that, as the NYT says, "normal people consider torture".

They complain that it also gives the President the power to detain indefinitely - with no need to bring charges  - all foreign nationals and legal resident aliens in the US.

The last straw is that the bill also grants the President the power to do the same to American citizens. Yep, if the Pentagon says you are an enemy, they don't need proof. They can just lock you up and do whatever they want with you, for as long as they want, with no trial.

Of course, many people might think this is great. Their idea of a fantastic country is one where our government can, without proof, declare anyone a terrorist, including you or me. And one where the government can throw you or me into a jail cell indefinitely, using whatever secret interrogation techniques they feel is appropriate.

Some people define this sort of thing as "giving the government tools to fight terrorism". It is an opinion I disagree with.

As liberally-biased, know-nothing commie Yale Law School poly sci prof Bruce Ackerman pointed out:

Bruce Ackerman wrote:

The compromise legislation, which is racing toward the White House, authorizes the president to seize American citizens as enemy combatants, even if they have never left the United States. And once thrown into military prison, they cannot expect a trial by their peers or any other of the normal protections of the Bill of Rights.

This [subsection (ii) of the definition of 'unlawful enemy combatant'] means that if the Pentagon says you're an unlawful enemy combatant -- using whatever criteria they wish -- then as far as Congress, and U.S. law, is concerned, you are one, whether or not you have had any connection to 'hostilities' at all.
The far-left pinko NY Times, who for some reason seems to value the right to fair trial over the maximization of presidential power, summarized the flaws of the bill in a recent editorial.

The NY Times wrote:

Enemy Combatants: A dangerously broad definition of “illegal enemy combatant” in the bill could subject legal residents of the United States, as well as foreign citizens living in their own countries, to summary arrest and indefinite detention with no hope of appeal. The president could give the power to apply this label to anyone he wanted.

The Geneva Conventions:  The bill would repudiate a half-century of international precedent by allowing Mr. Bush to decide on his own what abusive interrogation methods he considered permissible. And his decision could stay secret — there’s no requirement that this list be published.

Habeas Corpus: Detainees in U.S. military prisons would lose the basic right to challenge their imprisonment. These cases do not clog the courts, nor coddle terrorists. They simply give wrongly imprisoned people a chance to prove their innocence.

Judicial Review: The courts would have no power to review any aspect of this new system, except verdicts by military tribunals. The bill would limit appeals and bar legal actions based on the Geneva Conventions, directly or indirectly. All Mr. Bush would have to do to lock anyone up forever is to declare him an illegal combatant and not have a trial.

Coerced Evidence: Coerced evidence would be permissible if a judge considered it reliable — already a contradiction in terms — and relevant. Coercion is defined in a way that exempts anything done before the passage of the 2005 Detainee Treatment Act, and anything else Mr. Bush chooses.

Secret Evidence: American standards of justice prohibit evidence and testimony that is kept secret from the defendant, whether the accused is a corporate executive or a mass murderer. But the bill as redrafted by Mr. Cheney seems to weaken protections against such evidence.

Offenses: The definition of torture is unacceptably narrow, a virtual reprise of the deeply cynical memos the administration produced after 9/11. Rape and sexual assault are defined in a retrograde way that covers only forced or coerced activity, and not other forms of nonconsensual sex. The bill would effectively eliminate the idea of rape as torture.
The Senate vote was 65-34. Only one Republican (Chafee, of course) voted against it. Twelve Democrats (including Lieberman, of course) voted for it. Only 7 Republicans voted against it in the House (vs 160 Democrats).

I believe the passage of this bill is a moral disgrace and a harmful embarrassment to our country. The Democrats again falter, with many cowering at the prospect of seeming "soft on terror". The Republicans vote overwhelmingly in support of - my definitions of course - torture and tyranny.

Patrick Henry warned us about this 200 years ago.

Patrick Henry wrote:

Is the relinquishment of the trial by jury and the liberty of the press necessary for your liberty? Will the abandonment of your most sacred rights tend to the security of your liberty? Liberty, the greatest of all earthly blessings--give us that precious jewel, and you may take everything else! ...Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
Edit: added links to the full text of the bill
Edit: changed first link to something permanent

Last edited by The_Shipbuilder (2006-09-29 15:22:43)

GATOR591957
+84|6619
Our forefathers are rolling over in their graves.
golgoj4
+51|6766|North Hollywood
You know, as much sense as you make, there will be some apologist here to counter everything you said with FUD & Fear...but great post anyways.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina
Back to the 50's?
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6647|United States of America
I hope this means we will get some real torture pictures instead of nude paramids and dogs barking. 

I want to see wet sponges attached to car batteries and stuff.  I hope they start with the Democratic terrorists in Washington that use their votes and air time to support the terrorists killing our soldiers in Iraq.
Colfax
PR Only
+70|6636|United States - Illinois
You and the media are looking at this in its EXTREME CASE.  If your not doing things suspiciously and acting like a terrorist then you will be fine.  Your not gonna get thrown in a military prison for speeding or something ridiculous.

I think this gives our country the tools they need to fight terrorism. 

You can't take liberties away from those who don't believe in them and want to only kill people.
Colfax
PR Only
Its not gonna be like V for Vendetta.  If you have seen this movie it protrays the America you descride we are headin towards.  This isn't the case.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6827|Kubra, Damn it!

You're right, it won't be like V. Because we won't have anyone to stand up against the corruption in the government as they'll have been imprisoned without a trial.
Major_Spittle
Banned
Bush will listen in on your phone call to your hippie friends and then have you thrown in the Gulag where you will be raped daily by the gimp.

Is this what you fear is going to happen now, just like the draft when Bush was re-elected????

Republicans, Conservatives, and Christians oh my!!!!  We're off to see the physcologist, the wonderful physcologist with meds.  because because because because because, of all the dreadful delusions above.....
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

I think that's extremely scarey. I cannot really understand how anyone can consider that all fine and dandy, even the extremist Zionazis that we have on this forum.
chittydog
less busy

Losing the right to a trial by jury isn't a delusion. Next we'll lose freedom of religion and everyone will be required to be Baptist. Because, you know, the Baptists aren't bombing us so it'll be for our own protection. What a bunch of pussies. Ready to sell every last ounce of liberty in the name of security.
Colfax
PR Only
Lets see the bill someone find it and post it (in full)

So we can see the wording
Major_Spittle
Banned
Wear a tinfoil hat so they can't listen in on your thoughts.
chittydog
less busy

Colfax wrote:

Lets see the bill someone find it and post it (in full)

So we can see the wording
Good call, no sense in arguing over something unless we know it's true!
Colfax
PR Only

chittydog wrote:

Losing the right to a trial by jury isn't a delusion. Next we'll lose freedom of religion and everyone will be required to be Baptist. Because, you know, the Baptists aren't bombing us so it'll be for our own protection. What a bunch of pussies. Ready to sell every last ounce of liberty in the name of security.
This is just radical thinking....welcome to Muslim extremist thinking...KILL ALL WESTERNERS
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6492|Los Angeles

Colfax wrote:

Its not gonna be like V for Vendetta.  If you have seen this movie it protrays the America you descride we are headin towards.  This isn't the case.
Unfortunately your assurances don't count for much.

I would prefer to be protected by the law, rather than by faith in the administration. I think most people would.

What if liberals took over all branches of the government? Would you be comfortable that this bill gives them the power to define you as an enemy according to their whim? Or would you rather be protected by law?
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6784

Colfax wrote:

You and the media are looking at this in its EXTREME CASE.  If your not doing things suspiciously and acting like a terrorist then you will be fine.  Your not gonna get thrown in a military prison for speeding or something ridiculous.

You can't take liberties away from those who don't believe in them and want to only kill people.
I wonder how many Germans said that in the 1930's?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

I would prefer to be protected by the law, rather than by faith in the administration. I think most people would.
But the Administration makes the laws..hmmm
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Colfax
PR Only
Nothing is finite.  Law means nothing.  Laws can be changed and changed back.  You follow the laws in place and your fine.  Don't act like a terrorist and you're fine [period]
Colfax
PR Only

aardfrith wrote:

Colfax wrote:

when we will kill 6 million Jews we can come back to this comment.

i can't wait for the likes of poe and other libs commenting on this.  the anticipation is killing me

Last edited by Colfax (2006-09-29 12:06:06)

The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6492|Los Angeles

Colfax wrote:

aardfrith wrote:

Colfax wrote:

i can't wait for the likes of poe and other libs commenting on this.  the anticipation is killing me
I can't wait for cons to comment on the bill itself, and the fact that virtually all conservatives in the House and Senate approved it, rather than on the snore-inducing recitation of Godwin's Law.
Canadian_Sniper_X
+45|6481|Kamloops, BC Canada

Colfax wrote:

Sad thing is I could see it happening... but more secretly (ie. Underground), and replace Jews with anyone living in the East.
Colfax
PR Only

Canadian_Sniper_X wrote:

Colfax wrote:

Sad thing is I could see it happening... but more secretly (ie. Underground), and replace Jews with anyone living in the East.
Where does this kind of idiotic mindset come from.  You are saying that the U.S. is going to kill millions of people for no reason just because they are form the 'East'

You have a sick mind set man i'm sorry
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6570|Florida
Does anyone have a link to a site that says this bill was approved?  Ive yet to find it on CNN, MSNBC, Yahoo's headlines......I want to actually read the article.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6521|Global Command
Yawn

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard