Rumfuddle
+14|6688
In a couple postings I defended this map as balanced and that the win went to the better team (I'm talking about full 64 player, not infantry only).  After playing this map a lot more I find I was wrong, wrong, wrong.  A merely ok US team can win this map almost every time, but it takes a good MEC team to win anytime.  The third tank spawn for the US throws off the balance, and there simply aren't enough choke points for the MEC to use to fend off persistent-minded fav drivers.  For the MEC to win consistently there has to be at least a small squad defending the hotel and the mosque, and not just a lone sniper.  And any server that has FF on for mines completely tilts the game to the US because it throws off the ability of the MEC engineers to defend choke points where MEC armor needs to drive as well. 

I'm not telling many of you anything new, I'm just here to eat a little crow.
I.M.I Militant
We Are Not Alone In Here
+297|6689|Melbourne, Australia
when i play this map its always with a few great players at a lan cafe so we always end up winning it for the mec but i understand how easy it is for the u.s all you need is 1 lone jeep to sneak through an take market , hotel or even mosque
Master*
Banned
+416|6464|United States
infantry only is waaay different, since there are no vehicles, the win just goes to the better nade spammers
BanG89
as good as me you never will be
+9|6722|Nederland

Masterstyle wrote:

infantry only is waaay different, since there are no vehicles, the win just goes to the better nade spammers
and to the defending team, because us has to cross a way to big open field for one flag
imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6739|Human Meat Shield
We have no problem winning on either side on IO....For the idiots complaining about the nade spammers 1) its in every game 2) what do you want them to do, Throw Rocks? 3) I like dodging the nades, it reminds me of '42 Omaha where you have to plan your strategy.
Master*
Banned
+416|6464|United States

imdead wrote:

We have no problem winning on either side on IO....For the idiots complaining about the nade spammers 1) its in every game 2) what do you want them to do, Throw Rocks? 3) I like dodging the nades, it reminds me of '42 Omaha where you have to plan your strategy.
in IO nade spamming is even more intense its like people have forgotten what those little shiny things are ingame(oh bullets!).
loonitic
...is a potty mouth
+286|6504|Valhalla
IO or normal it depends on the team your playing on if they are good (run round capping flags) they are going to win and if there rubbish (e.g. all they do is snipe in the middle of the desert behind a big rock without even attempting to Cap a flag) your going to lose
Master*
Banned
+416|6464|United States
oh and dont forget about dumb medics that dont know how to revive  http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=45953
loonitic
...is a potty mouth
+286|6504|Valhalla

Masterstyle wrote:

oh and dont forget about dumb medics that dont know how to revive  http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=45953
I agree with you there... Its not hard just jump into prone and buzz the chest... How hard is that
doneyone
+30|6525|Holland Hardcore
Nadespamming rules
cheshiremoe
Evil Geniuses for a sparsely populated tomorrow
+50|6679
To me the 16 player is fairly even, on IO too.  But the larger map is not.
imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6739|Human Meat Shield
16 player are made to pointwhore, nothing else. Anyway again I have no problem in avoiding nades, but when 32 of them come down at once what would you do? Oh wait you guys dont play full 64's.. anyway, avoiding them takes some teamwork and rushing, I see most of you just sit back... snipers..no problem, support..no problem, its the friggin' medics that are a pain with the AK. Come play and we'll show you how to cap flags and get past the nades,or you can just sit there complaining about the nadefest, yeah there are nades, so what.

We own a IO Jalalabad and at the moment a IO City Maps server, both 64, it might be too much for you guys.
Bernadictus
+1,055|6707

imdead wrote:

16 player are made to pointwhore, nothing else. Anyway again I have no problem in avoiding nades, but when 32 of them come down at once what would you do? Oh wait you guys dont play full 64's.. anyway, avoiding them takes some teamwork and rushing, I see most of you just sit back... snipers..no problem, support..no problem, its the friggin' medics that are a pain with the AK. Come play and we'll show you how to cap flags and get past the nades,or you can just sit there complaining about the nadefest, yeah there are nades, so what.

We own a IO Jalalabad and at the moment a IO City Maps server, both 64, it might be too much for you guys.
LOL ROFLMAO

*Cough*
cheshiremoe
Evil Geniuses for a sparsely populated tomorrow
+50|6679

imdead wrote:

I was refering to map size not player count and I do like to play with more people.  I get more points on larger maps with more people than I do with 16 people on a small map.   Theres just more to shoot at and more flags to cap so I don't think that the 16 player config is for pt whores.  But 16 player map with 64 people in infantry mode is great, lots heavy gun fights.

Last edited by cheshiremoe (2006-09-29 07:51:02)

Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6438
Well guys, its not Wake Island so be glad its not that unbalanced. The US does seems to win more but I have won as MEC and lost as US serveral times.
howler_27
+90|6657
I agree that it's a pissy map, but there are ways to hold your own on the mec end of things.  Don't use the tanks as a main offensive weapon.  Engies and AT are crucial to victory, and the sniper kits are a big distraction.  You need to cover, and let the enemy come to you on this map.  Mine the main entrances to the city and setup AT.  Place tanks in either a higher protected area with a good overview of the incoming roads, or if low, park them angled just beind a buidling facing the main entrances.  The big guns and mg's on the tank are extra coverfire that needs to be used.

You make them come to you over open ground, and you can win as MEC.  Throw away the friggin sniper rifles and take a kit that can keep you in the match like a medic or assault.  The nade launcher works well to move packs of troops closer together for the tanks to mow down.  Launch the nades on the outer flanks, and it'll usually move the pack to the center.
Rumfuddle
+14|6688

howler_27 wrote:

I agree that it's a pissy map, but there are ways to hold your own on the mec end of things.
I agree and those are all good tactics that I have used.  But it takes a dedicated MEC crew that knows what they're doing.  Even a sloppy US team can pull off a win too easily on a full 64 map.  Unless you've got several dedicated engineers, you can't mine the choke points sufficiently to cut off all the fav's.  Good tankers help but if the US takes the near outpost and spawns the third tank the MEC armor won't last.  Which brings up another problem, MEC's got to have a squad of single-minded masochists to defend that outpost because it usually takes a terrible beating both head on and from flankers on the hill.

Too many times I've been on MEC where we are halfway through the round, have the US completely bottled up and winning by 50 tickets and seen it flip because one US fav takes a rear flag, the MEC pull back to re-take the flag and then front collapses and everything goes kablooey.

Last edited by Rumfuddle (2006-09-29 10:26:40)

manitobapaintballa
+32|6588
whats wrong with throwing nades??? everyone except A/T has em and it's not like you can't see em coming
BanG89
as good as me you never will be
+9|6722|Nederland
you cant see them if they are thrown over a building or if they are thrown in front of your feet when your prone and zoomed in (and if you see them, most of hte time u cant get away without taking damage). and if everyone uses them, its like 30 nades all the time.
thats just crap
Delphy
+45|6555|Bristol, UK
I agree. The US have too many favs, they need to have like half. Also it's so stupid how the lake flag basically just gives a shortcut right into the middle of the city, either market or junkyard and then the dreaded "we've lost control of the Outpost outpost" follows in about a minute.
JimmyBotswana
+82|6555|Montreal
I agree the map is not balanced. I play fairly often on a Karkand/Jalalabad server. Almost every time I get on the winning US team on Karkand, then we play MEC on Karkand and win, though sometimes a close game. Then we pwn as US on Jalalabad, and then its like we are all a bunch of noobs as MEC on Jalalabad. It is just too easy for US to win on Jalalabad. And you are right about that third tank for US what was DICE thinking? Three tanks to two and they call that balanced?
Burks
+2|6613
Of course it's not fair. The US team puts all their energy into the all so important Lake and Outpost sections, the MEC side just has to sit there and fire away blindly. That's if you have a bunch of knuckleheads.

Get a decent team and the US side is pretty much a sure win.

Jalalabad reminds me of Karkand. People swarm to the Hotel because it has....uh....er....hm....hell I don't know why they do it!
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6547|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

Burks wrote:

Of course it's not fair. The US team puts all their energy into the all so important Lake and Outpost sections, the MEC side just has to sit there and fire away blindly. That's if you have a bunch of knuckleheads.

Get a decent team and the US side is pretty much a sure win.

Jalalabad reminds me of Karkand. People swarm to the Hotel because it has....uh....er....hm....hell I don't know why they do it!
We should try to change the name of the Hotel flag...im pretty sure people will start to whore something else....The problem is about the name...or they just want to rent a room
alien-DSW-Gen
Hates snipers and says the "F" word a lot
+72|6643|Houston, Texas

Rumfuddle wrote:

In a couple postings I defended this map as balanced and that the win went to the better team (I'm talking about full 64 player, not infantry only).  After playing this map a lot more I find I was wrong, wrong, wrong.  A merely ok US team can win this map almost every time, but it takes a good MEC team to win anytime.  The third tank spawn for the US throws off the balance, and there simply aren't enough choke points for the MEC to use to fend off persistent-minded fav drivers.  For the MEC to win consistently there has to be at least a small squad defending the hotel and the mosque, and not just a lone sniper.  And any server that has FF on for mines completely tilts the game to the US because it throws off the ability of the MEC engineers to defend choke points where MEC armor needs to drive as well. 

I'm not telling many of you anything new, I'm just here to eat a little crow.
duh the advatange alawys goes to the attacking team in bf2 oh, wait. wake island. sorry.
nodehopper
+56|6602
I do have to say that Jah-blah-blah-blah in IO /64 player map is a slam dunk for the MEC side.  It takes a really good team to get out of the US uncap and take a flag in IO. Usually by then the tickets have drained so that US can only win by taking all the flags.

I just won't log into a 64 player map IO server on Jah-blah-blah-blah. Now the 16 player map is just totally fun and fairly balanced in IO mode......there are four flags...all flags are cap-able. It gets down and dirty at hotel and market and if US takes the Mosque...then MEC just goes and grabs the Junkyard and it is back to even.

16 player map IO mode on Jah-blah-blah-blah is possibly my favorite thing to play right now !!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard