.|microphage
+4|6655|Vancouver, BC
i think it's about time someone told me the difference between these 2 memory types. It would be useful because there are 2 versions of the 7600. 7600GS features 512MB but it's DDR2 and the 7600 is DDR3 but it only has a 256 version.
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6672
sorry i cant help..dnt understand anything about computers
DazBurt
Kinda Nice Guy!
+10|6685|In The Zone

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

So why answer then?
-Gunsmoke-
+165|6658|South Jersey
I thought you were talking about the dance game.
Trigger_Happy_92
Uses the TV missle too much
+394|6672
no no, the 7600GS is both GDDR2, and the 7600GT is GDDR3

basically its the speed at which things flow through the memory. GDDR2 is kinda old, and GDDR3 is faster. there are some cards that will feature GDDR4 very soon.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6604|SE London

.|microphage wrote:

i think it's about time someone told me the difference between these 2 memory types. It would be useful because there are 2 versions of the 7600. 7600GS features 512MB but it's DDR2 and the 7600 is DDR3 but it only has a 256 version.
The difference is quite simple. DDR3 is faster (runs at a higher frequency) than DDR2. DDR4 is faster than either.

Easy.
.|microphage
+4|6655|Vancouver, BC
sooo...512 of GDDR2 is better than 256 of GDDR3?
Ryan
+1,230|6866|Alberta, Canada

DazBurt wrote:

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

So why answer then?
He didn't...
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6516|N. Ireland
There are GDDR4 cards out already.. ATI Radeon X1950
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6739
DDR3 is faster...
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Whodofart
+11|6465|U.S.A.
Just a little curious, but what exactly are you talking about?  Reason i ask is cause the only thing i know that has the abbreviations DDR is Dance Dance Revolution...LOL, but i surely know thats not what you are all talking about.  So, would someone enlighten me?
samhornby
Bo'Selecta!
+14|6574
I was like..well Max 300..but Yeah DDR3 is faster.
  Just remember this..if in doubt go for the thing with the highest numbers.
Thump-GoA-
Thump the ARTY finder!!
+31|6683

DazBurt wrote:

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

So why POST then?
Twist
Too old to be doing this sh*t
+103|6546|Little blue planet, milky way

.|microphage wrote:

Nope. The GDDR3 is faster, and the extra memory is even MORE of a disadvantege, because you will need to address more memory, thus slowing down the memory operations. In general, ALWAYS choose the faster memory, and ALWAYS buy the lowest possible amount of memory that you can make due with.
For instance, if you have a monitor that will go 1280x1024 max, and you want to run it at true color (32 or 36 bits depending on your preference), you multiply the factors, and you will have your GPU memory consumption (number of horizontal pixels, times number of vertical pixels times number of bits for color in each pixel plus hamming codes for each block, blocksize may vary depending on manufacturer) when running in a "normal" windows environment. So you will notice that for windows usage you will "only" need around 40 MB of GPU memory (64MB for 1600x1280). Generally speaking a good GPU will also be able to handle artifacts, vectors, surfaces, etc. etc. Shading, AA and other "effects" are calculated in realtime, so you normally dont need a lot of memory for these, though it IS calculated in BLOCKS, so you will need SOME memory. Therefor you also need to "make room" for these things in your memory. So double up on your memory for games, and you will find yourself needing a 24'+ monitor to utilize more than 128 MB of GPU memory !

If you doubt my calculation, try running a program to determine the GPU memory usage while running an app. You will notice that you rarely use all of it. So if the extra memory is adressed, you waste memory bandwidth by having more memory than you need, and thus you drag down your performance.
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6732|Charlie One Alpha

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Or spelling.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
Shadow893
lel
+75|6715|England

DazBurt wrote:

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

So why answer then?
QFT
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6604|SE London

Twist wrote:

.|microphage wrote:

Nope. The GDDR3 is faster, and the extra memory is even MORE of a disadvantege, because you will need to address more memory, thus slowing down the memory operations. In general, ALWAYS choose the faster memory, and ALWAYS buy the lowest possible amount of memory that you can make due with.
For instance, if you have a monitor that will go 1280x1024 max, and you want to run it at true color (32 or 36 bits depending on your preference), you multiply the factors, and you will have your GPU memory consumption (number of horizontal pixels, times number of vertical pixels times number of bits for color in each pixel plus hamming codes for each block, blocksize may vary depending on manufacturer) when running in a "normal" windows environment. So you will notice that for windows usage you will "only" need around 40 MB of GPU memory (64MB for 1600x1280). Generally speaking a good GPU will also be able to handle artifacts, vectors, surfaces, etc. etc. Shading, AA and other "effects" are calculated in realtime, so you normally dont need a lot of memory for these, though it IS calculated in BLOCKS, so you will need SOME memory. Therefor you also need to "make room" for these things in your memory. So double up on your memory for games, and you will find yourself needing a 24'+ monitor to utilize more than 128 MB of GPU memory !

If you doubt my calculation, try running a program to determine the GPU memory usage while running an app. You will notice that you rarely use all of it. So if the extra memory is adressed, you waste memory bandwidth by having more memory than you need, and thus you drag down your performance.
Mostly true. I disagree totally about needing a 24" monitor to utilize more than 128MB of GPU memory. More memory is good. It helps a lot. The more stuff you can have stored on your video memory means less transfering stuff onto it, the less you have to move stuff about the faster it all goes.

Your calculations are flawed. You have been working stuff out for a single frame. At 1024x768 with 32-bit colour running at 50 fps you are looking at about 15GB/sec of memory bandwidth. Lots of video memory getting used there.

Cards with more video memory run faster. The 7800GTX 512 was faster than the 7800GTX 256. It may be that the addressing takes longer, but that rarely leads to slowdowns in my experience - 64-bit processors run faster not slower due to extended memory addressing techniques.

512MB of DDR2 could be faster than 256 of DDR3, it depends on the App. In your case you have 2 different GPUs as well, so no it wouldn't be faster.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2006-09-24 06:53:36)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6739
the 512mb 7800gtx is faster than the 256 version is because that it was clocked higher... there would be no difference between 256 and 512... 256 of ddr3 is WAY faster then 512 of ddr2...
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Twist
Too old to be doing this sh*t
+103|6546|Little blue planet, milky way

Bertster7 wrote:

Twist wrote:

Mostly true. I disagree totally about needing a 24" monitor to utilize more than 128MB of GPU memory. More memory is good. It helps a lot. The more stuff you can have stored on your video memory means less transfering stuff onto it, the less you have to move stuff about the faster it all goes.

Your calculations are flawed. You have been working stuff out for a single frame. At 1024x768 with 32-bit colour running at 50 fps you are looking at about 15GB/sec of memory bandwidth. Lots of video memory getting used there.

Cards with more video memory run faster. The 7800GTX 512 was faster than the 7800GTX 256. It may be that the addressing takes longer, but that rarely leads to slowdowns in my experience - 64-bit processors run faster not slower due to extended memory addressing techniques.

512MB of DDR2 could be faster than 256 of DDR3, it depends on the App. In your case you have 2 different GPUs as well, so no it wouldn't be faster.
Again... I refer you to my willingness to have you test this theorem. Simply download a program that will tell you how much memory you use...

And you are correct in assuming that the BANDWIDTH will be very high. This is why you need a FAST card on a FAST bus. but you don't need MORE memory to support a higher bandwidth.
As for the specific cards I have never EVER seen a higher mem card (assuming all else is equal) perform better than a lower mem card, EXCEPT when the memory is exhausted. And it CAN get exhausted because the frames (of which there's usually only ONE in memory) may take up a lot of memory, and leave no room for "other stuff". You will NEVER EVER see a GPU that holds two frames in memory (unless the second frame is for a second monitor), because the GPU isn't pshycic, it cant tell what's gonna come next. It will only post the changes to the frame as instructed to. And yes, this requires HUGE amounts of bandwidth, I'll never argue with that. But you can run BF2 just fine on a 128MB card, if you can find one. The "other stuff" doesn't take all that much memory.
This is also the reason why in the "old" days you'd be working with a "stationary" background, and then have "sprites", that moved ontop of the background. Because the less you needed the background image to change, the less bandwidth you needed to show the graphics. Ofcourse, this was only good if the sprites would not "change" anything except their postition on the screen. This would allow you to "package" your frame somewhat... A sort of early form of compression. A predecessor to the early movie compression algorithms.
GPU construction hasn't changed THAT much over the last 20 years. Nowadays the engineers just waste bandwidth like mad instead of trying to focus on the stuff that matters, like speed, color recreation, functionality, price etc. etc.
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6724|New York
Gddr3 and Gddr2 is all about operating Freq. The Gddr3 will run at higher Freg that is demanded by the Newer and Higher clocked video cards to run properly. But there's a trade off there. The Cards offering or should i say using More memory usually have SLOWER memory in the way of access time. The cards with more than 256MB memory usually have memory thats in the 1.4nanosecond range whereas the 256MB cards have memory in the 1.2nanosecond range. Thus making it faster memory in all practical aspects.

At this time, You don't benefit all that much performance wise between a card with 512MB or 256MB memory. Games are Just now starting to take full advantage of 256MB of on card memory. Main reason for this is because allot of games code and there game options STILL depend on page filing, and that takes away from using the memory thats on the card.

BF2 has a way you can Bypass the page file feature in the settings file in your games config file, thus making your game actually use whats on your card. This actually makes having more memory on the card an advantage. But so does More system Ram. So it really is a matter of If you want the 512MB card rather than NEED the 512MB card right now.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard