CruZ4dR
Cereal Killer
+145|6671|The View From The Afternoon
I really hate to ask for help but since I can't figure it out, I thought I might hand it to the Pros.

My computer is two years old and I recently (couple months ago) purchased 2 new Gigs of RAM for it.
But a few weeks ago itstarted to mess up, using many minutes on simple tasks like running Windows Media Player and logging in on my user account on the PC. Most of the times I click an icon, for exmple Firefox or Winamp, the timeglass appears indicating the computer is working on it. But the problem is that nothing happens before many minutes has gone by, not even pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del helps. Then after, like 5-10 minutes, finally the program opens. Also often when opening simple folders this problem seems to happen.

Also know that I am not a newb with computers, I've scanned for viruses/spyware with ZoneAlarm and defragmented my hard drives and Used System Mechanic 6 for performance enhancements, mainentance and repairs.

My specs are:

Intel Pentium 4 3,00 Ghz
2,5 GB DDR RAM
Radeon 9800
410 GB

With Windows Home Edition

All help will be appreciated
CruZ4dR
Cereal Killer
Anyone?
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6561|Doncaster, UK
Have you tried taking out the new RAM to see if it's the culprit?
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6485|New York
Hmm...Are all the sticks of RAM produced by the same company? This is a common issue. I know certain companies like Mushkin don't work very well with Kingston and such. If this isn't the problem, then a fresh reformat of Windows is always a good decision.
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6613|Cheshire. UK
I would check the power supply first off
doneyone
+30|6571|Holland Hardcore
do u have a logitech mouse?? this could seriously fuck up ur RAM
Tas3674
+8|6455|Tasmania, Australia
Hmmm, I had the same problem with my old computer, for some reason when I put in new ram and it just went really slow and slugish., but even when i removed the ram it was still screwy, I ended up getting a new computer in the end. After I wiped the hard drive and removed ram etc. etc. Never could find out how to fix it.
{XpLiCiTxX}
Ohh skeet skeet
+143|6485|New York
I know this is a long shot, but what's the CAS latency on the RAM? If it's really high, it might be having an issue with speed on the motherboard.
Wille
+3|6655|Finland
I have Kingston HyperX DDR 400 MHZ 2*1024 Mb and it dont do that what u just said and i have windows xp professional
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6612|Seattle

Sounds like registry issues to me. try running this free registry checker/crap cleaner upper www.ccleaner.com
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
CruZ4dR
Cereal Killer
Wow thx for reply.. Uhm let me see.. I don't have a logitech mouse. The RAM is from two different producers. The first 2x256MB came with my Medion PC and the extra 2x1GB is made by GEIL. I have no idea of the CAS latency but I'll try to take out the original 512 MB to see what happens.. Any more suggestions are very welcome
CruZ4dR
Cereal Killer

King_County_Downy wrote:

Sounds like registry issues to me. try running this free registry checker/crap cleaner upper www.ccleaner.com
Alright, thx for that..
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6638|Camp XRay

umm give me the name of the motherboard. probably need to ditch the 512 and if your board supports dual channel make sure the ram is seated in the correct slots(all though if it wasn't then the pc shouldn't start...so nm).
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
Breez
AKA: badhq
+937|6647|Derby, England

CruZ4dR wrote:

I really hate to ask for help but since I can't figure it out, I thought I might hand it to the Pros.

My computer is two years old and I recently (couple months ago) purchased 2 new Gigs of RAM for it.
But a few weeks ago itstarted to mess up, using many minutes on simple tasks like running Windows Media Player and logging in on my user account on the PC. Most of the times I click an icon, for exmple Firefox or Winamp, the timeglass appears indicating the computer is working on it. But the problem is that nothing happens before many minutes has gone by, not even pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del helps. Then after, like 5-10 minutes, finally the program opens. Also often when opening simple folders this problem seems to happen.

Also know that I am not a newb with computers, I've scanned for viruses/spyware with ZoneAlarm and defragmented my hard drives and Used System Mechanic 6 for performance enhancements, mainentance and repairs.

My specs are:

Intel Pentium 4 3,00 Ghz
2,5 GB DDR RAM
Radeon 9800
410 GB

With Windows Home Edition

All help will be appreciated
I just have 1 question did Radeon 9800 << come with the pc or did u purchise seperate ? ( if seperate thats your problem right there )

Im having loads of troubles with my PC and its all do with Radeon << graphics card ( I even isntalled fresh coppy of windows over 8 times past few days )

Soon as I install drivers for Radeon problem starts righ there if I dont install drivers for it my wehole screen looks like duspin :s still trying to figure out the problem now

But like I said I think its your graphics card :s

Hope it helps

Peace Boris
CruZ4dR
Cereal Killer
Thanks for the help Boris but The graphics card came with the computer when I bought it.
Breez
AKA: badhq
+937|6647|Derby, England

CruZ4dR wrote:

Thanks for the help Boris but The graphics card came with the computer when I bought it.
Have u tried disbaling all start up applications? see if u get same problem ?

Click start > run > type in "msconfig" with out quotes hit run or ok go start up and hit disable all and apply ( dont worry it will recheck all the ones it needs by it self ) hit ok it will prompt you to restart windows doit and see if u still have same problem when windows starts.

Peace Boris

=============== EDIT ===================

Try this link bro see if it helps

http://www.informationweek.com/windows/ … =189400897
WarmPudgy
+41|6603|Arkansas
i highly doubt your ram is causing the slow downs
because it was running fine uptill a few weeks ago

but
like badhq said

with start ups, less is more

not only do you want to disable all start up items
but you also want to limit the services as well

open up msconfig and click the services tab
down at the bottom theres a box that says hide all microsoft services
check that box, and hit the disable all button to the right of it

windows runs best with 20 or less programs running in the background

if you have an anti virus program installed (which you should) go back, find the boxes for that service and check those again

hit OK and restart

now also another thing that might be causing some problems is windows its self
how long have you been running on this current install of windows?

i like to reformat every few months, cause im a speed whore, i like windows to run as fast as possible

if youve been running for longer than 6 months, id recommend a simple reformat

Last edited by WarmPudgy (2006-09-20 09:34:20)

CruZ4dR
Cereal Killer

WarmPudgy wrote:

i highly doubt your ram is causing the slow downs
because it was running fine uptill a few weeks ago

but
like badhq said

with start ups, less is more

not only do you want to disable all start up items
but you also want to limit the services as well

open up msconfig and click the services tab
down at the bottom theres a box that says hide all microsoft services
check that box, and hit the disable all button to the right of it

windows runs best with 20 or less programs running in the background

if you have an anti virus program installed (which you should) go back, find the boxes for that service and check those again

hit OK and restart

now also another thing that might be causing some problems is windows its self
how long have you been running on this current install of windows?

i like to reformat every few months, cause im a speed whore, i like windows to run as fast as possible

if youve been running for longer than 6 months, id recommend a simple reformat
Thanks, I've done that before and I'm only running 9 applications upon start.
I just did the service tab thing and there was just one box I had to uncheck, but maybe it'll help.
Thanks for the help though, you too Boris
rawls2
Mr. Bigglesworth
+89|6575
I think its because you are using different ram manufactureers. Try using the same ram.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard