tribal00
+0|6475
Hi

Do you feel that BF allows you develop skills that are useful in your 'real' life (in your studies, your relationships with others etc...)?

I just had an argument with a non gamer who thinks games are a mindless occupation...I don't agree, I really think that games can have a positive impact on your life, but I am lacking arguments.

Well for me, BF certainly allows you to practise and develop your team playing skills and decision making skills.

What do u think?
Master*
Banned
+416|6538|United States
i look at video games as a hobby like picking flowers or reading a book.
except i pwn everyone playing video games
Mongoose
That 70's guy
+156|6574|Sydney, in 1978
BF2 fucks me up in all ways possible, makes me angry makes me not care about anything else, but yet i still play the friggen thing, just like i did when the sims came out, because of BF2 (and other games) i got kicked out of school, but thats bloody EA games for you, make shit game piss people off, yet make it soooooo god dammed addictive, your entire life goes down the drain
TechGuy
Grammar Nazi
+62|6716
No. BF2 is the most addictive, brain-rotting game I've ever played. Sorry.
Em0
+0|6536
I think it is a mindless occupation to. But there is nothing against that.

I also think you can learn something from the game. I learned not to give up, even when I am crap at this game. I learned that you can loose, and loose a lot, and still have fun. Which is new fore my because I am a bad looser.
So, Yea you can learn something from this game.
mavrick 3399
EA GAMES PATCH EVERYTHING
+102|6585|Doncaster UK
definitely builds your relationship skills with others hell this website is proof of that your asking people you dont even know for there opinion, the only thing we have probably have in common is the fact that we both play bf2, yet you still asked.
Another point about this website is that you have probably got involved in some sort of debate about real world things ie terrorism, so your learning as well as playing, this can be said about most online games due to the fact that most, if not all of them have a forum like this one.

Also games like braintraining for the DS are really changing the way we play games and what we use them for hell a little bit of sudoku cant be bad for us can it.

the only problem is many people who dont play games believe that many gamers sit in a dark dank room drooling over there keyboards, therefor say that gaming is no use to anybody. IMO

Last edited by mavrick 3399 (2006-09-18 07:01:19)

motherdear
+25|6695|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)
well if you play in a clan it can have great impact on your teamwork and stuff like that and it can give you new friends.
midnitebassist
Countersniper
+11|6573|here
Besides teaching you teamwork skills, (hopefully) communication, and working on your reflexes, I use BF2 as anger management.  If I ever get really pissed off, instead of going outside and smoking or something, I hop on the computer and play.  Grand Theft Auto has the same effect on me.  Something about killing masses of people digitally calms me, which keeps me from killing masses of people IRL.

Just sit at the desk with a 44 oz mountain dew from the gas station, a thing of pop-tarts, and let the calming begin.
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6807|d
A study showed that gamers in general are better at multi-tasking then anyone else.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6599
Personally I don't think playing computer games adds much if anything to your personality, character, attributes, qualities, etc. It's purely for pleasure.
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6544|Los Angeles
The only thing I've taken away from BF2 is the ability to move my left pinky finger in amazing new ways.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6779|Salt Lake City

It gives me a release that prevents me from going postal on peoples ass. 
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6581|Long Island, New York
BF2 and Halo have both helped me become a better hockey player. I used to suck at Goalie, but the hand-eye coordination from BF2 and Halo have helped me have a better reaction time.

So, yes. They are.
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
+231|6753|Wilmington, DE, US
BF2 taught me how to fly jets that don't fly like real jets do.
Penetrator
Certified Twat
+296|6551|Bournemouth, South England
I work in Army rotary aviation, and BF2 teaches me so much about.....nothing. Good for a laugh though, I mean, surviving the M95 to the torso, without being nearly atomised!!! nice!
vpyroman
Aeon Supreme commander
+16|6660|UCF
All Shooter games increase hand eye cordination and reflexes.
Strategy games(RTS and TBS) increase the logic skills
MMOs increase one's memory
All online games with VOIP increases your tolerance for ignorance

I wrote papers on this topic, but I'm too lazy to open the MSWord file and post my sources.
JG1567JG
+110|6632|United States of America

mafia996630 wrote:

A study showed that gamers in general are better at multi-tasking then anyone else.

Poseidon wrote:

BF2 and Halo have both helped me become a better hockey player. I used to suck at Goalie, but the hand-eye coordination from BF2 and Halo have helped me have a better reaction time.
Just to repeat what these two said.  Hand-eye coordination, multi-tasking, and to add another, gamers have better peripheral vision.  Gamers tend to be able to recognize quicker what an object is that is at the edge of their field of view.

Last edited by JG1567JG (2006-09-18 13:48:52)

TheGiantSE
+14|6515|Sweden
No not realy...

This is a hobby...like playing golf

Well BF has thought me one thing... i'm now much better at reinstalling software and drivers hahaha
Penetrator
Certified Twat
+296|6551|Bournemouth, South England
However, too much BF2 makes you less attractive to the opposite sex.
R3v0LuT!oN
+22|6710|United States

vpyroman wrote:

All online games with VOIP increases your tolerance for ignorance
LOL - true that.
Master*
Banned
+416|6538|United States

TheGiantSE wrote:

No not realy...

This is a hobby...like playing golf

Well BF has thought me one thing... i'm now much better at reinstalling software and drivers hahaha
right, it is a hobby like picking flowers or reading a book
Jbrar
rawr
+86|6585|Winterpeg, Canada
The BF series play a major role in my interest for history, particularely World War 2, aswell as my knowledge of weapons.
Wolfren
+6|6707|USA
reasoning quickly, I find myself able to determine what I need to do to evade, capture, sneak up on, aim at, at a record breaking pace compared to before playing FPSers. Not to mention hand-eye coordination.
But over all you can get the same types of skills playing, chess, tennis, or just about anything that involves reasoning and jumpy movement.
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6621|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

TechGuy wrote:

No. BF2 is the most addictive, brain-rotting game I've ever played. Sorry.
Words!   I dont thinks that this game :Bf2 can really help out some1...it would insteed make killer (With all the anger we gather from this gey game >.<)
ts-pulsar
+54|6546
Don't know if someone else said it, but I'm kind of strapped for time and can't read it all.

I remember reading an article in Popular Science about a year ago that said that people who play FPS games on a regular basis, have something like 40% faster reaction times than non gamers, and that these gamers make for better drivers.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard