ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command
Pointhttps://i7.tinypic.com/21ez5ep.jpg?
HeimdalX
+37|6652
Organized religion is a source of violence.

So is pussy, food, land, and other resources. All of which can involve religion or just a little dick dictator with an itchy finger on a button that says "Invade."

People are so worried about making others believe what they believe, either political or religious. Fuck both of them, seriously. Fix the planet before you fix each other or there won't be anything left to fight over, fix, make others believe, or just generally fuck with.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
I think that humanity is the source of the world's violence.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
sparrowpisuke
Fractalman
+27|6447|Barcelona
I think that societies are the source of the world's violence.
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6703|New York
A Belief in god isn't a bad thing. I believe in a higher power myself. But organized religion is what will be the cause or just might be causing the end of the world as we know it. Its a shame really that people don't have the Intelligence to figure this out. To me there is a difference in Believing in a higher power for the sake of Needing something to aspire too, and Gathering in mass and dedicating your life, giving your life and your money to this organized belief then having it written down and manipulated to suit your organizations needs. Its usually manipulated to further your groups standing in the worlds social ladder.

Don't even get me started on Scientology LMAO. Thats a whole different post. Better yet, watch the south park episode LOL. Better yet, Just reference Tom Cruise LMAO.

I have similar feelings on Organized Education systems, where Parents don't have as much control over what allot of wacko teachers and collage professors IMPOSE on our kids besides the useless and outdated teachings they use today.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
It's as if you want somebody to do all your believing for you.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Bernadictus
+1,055|6738

RDMC(2) wrote:

mKmalfunction wrote:

I didn't even bother to read this. Getting rid of religion doesn't mean getting rid of violence. It's in our nature to fight, regardless of the reason.

No religion? Sweet, now we can fight over race even more... Or good 'ol politics.

Edit: I read it, and still stand by what I said.
What your saying is true, getting rid of Religion will probably not take away the entire violence, but think about this. The Attack on 9/11 happened due to religion because the so called ''Allah'' commanded those bitches to go out there and kill American, same is for the suicide bombings, there religion ''so called, calls them to go and suicide'' So Religion does play a huge part in the violionce going on, but polictians also play a vital role.
That bitch "Allah" happens to be the entity, you Americans call "God". Yes, the one and the same. Muhammed the prophet, prayed towards the God of Israel, but made a few modifications to it, to suit himself.

Bubbalo wrote:

Ahem.
Ahem (2).

Muslim terrorists are really like Christians! Their methodes of persuasion are a few centuries behind, but instead of using horses and knights, they use EID's and 737's.

Christians, Jews & Muslims are the one and the same. You can condemn the Muslims for using EID's or planes to fly into buildings, but they really have no alterenate way of defending themselves, now do they?

Palestinians don't have multi-million dollar fighters, tank, howitzers and ground forces.

Do you find it ackward they use the only real weapons they have at hand? Their own lives?

My girlfriend is a christian, I am not. Neither do I believe, or support a believe that slayed thousands in the name of a God, which existence is based on faith. Also because her church generally thinks AIDS is a 'weapon' of God to prevent pre-marriage sexual intercourse. They don't say it, but I know they think it. (NOT ALL OF THEM, only the extremists).

And while they sings of joy, love and peace, the outside world is slaughtering one and another for no reason at all. You don't change the world by joining a believe, you change the world, by changing yourself.
By opening yourself up to different ideas.
By listening to one another.

Just my Eurocent.
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6703|New York

Spark wrote:

It's as if you want somebody to do all your believing for you.
I Believe in A GOD, in my own house. I dont kneel at a shrine nor go to a building with hords of people and dish out money for the RIGHT to believe in a God. Thats the difference. I Wont Die for my God, But i would for my country, and came pretty damn close.
Rosse_modest
+76|6777|Antwerp, Flanders

Bernadictus wrote:

RDMC(2) wrote:

mKmalfunction wrote:

I didn't even bother to read this. Getting rid of religion doesn't mean getting rid of violence. It's in our nature to fight, regardless of the reason.

No religion? Sweet, now we can fight over race even more... Or good 'ol politics.

Edit: I read it, and still stand by what I said.
What your saying is true, getting rid of Religion will probably not take away the entire violence, but think about this. The Attack on 9/11 happened due to religion because the so called ''Allah'' commanded those bitches to go out there and kill American, same is for the suicide bombings, there religion ''so called, calls them to go and suicide'' So Religion does play a huge part in the violionce going on, but polictians also play a vital role.
That bitch "Allah" happens to be the entity, you Americans call "God". Yes, the one and the same. Muhammed the prophet, prayed towards the God of Israel, but made a few modifications to it, to suit himself.

Bubbalo wrote:

Ahem.
Ahem (2).

Muslim terrorists are really like Christians! Their methodes of persuasion are a few centuries behind, but instead of using horses and knights, they use EID's and 737's.

Christians, Jews & Muslims are the one and the same. You can condemn the Muslims for using EID's or planes to fly into buildings, but they really have no alterenate way of defending themselves, now do they?

Palestinians don't have multi-million dollar fighters, tank, howitzers and ground forces.

Do you find it ackward they use the only real weapons they have at hand? Their own lives?

My girlfriend is a christian, I am not. Neither do I believe, or support a believe that slayed thousands in the name of a God, which existence is based on faith. Also because her church generally thinks AIDS is a 'weapon' of God to prevent pre-marriage sexual intercourse. They don't say it, but I know they think it. (NOT ALL OF THEM, only the extremists).

And while they sings of joy, love and peace, the outside world is slaughtering one and another for no reason at all. You don't change the world by joining a believe, you change the world, by changing yourself.
By opening yourself up to different ideas.
By listening to one another.

Just my Eurocent.
Well said.
But do you actually use those one and two eurocent coins? I have one of each, for sentimental reasons, and scratching lottery-type tickets.
7eregrine
+1|6435
"Organized religion is the source of the world's violence."

Duh?

As has been mentioned, the Cathlics were never a stranger to violence.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563

Bernadictus wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Ahem.
Ahem (2).

Your point?  It was the guy above me that was trying to suggest that Muslims are somehow worse than Christians.  So far as I'm concerned, pretty much everyone is as bad as everyone else.  Seriously, you name one altruistic war that has actually been stuck to by the West.
IRONCHEF
+385|6492|Northern California
Pollux,

Just because YOU don't believe in God or His dealings with man throughout the ages, doesn't mean it's not real.  And yes, you'll have your time.

As for your notion that "organized religion" is as you put it, then let's imagine the world without said religious activity.  Would there be half the compassion and good will in the world without it?  Do you think without organized religion there would be good people just being good for fun?  Exactly...there wouldn't.  People "can" be good, but more than not, people are good for a purpose they feel in their lives.  People gain purpose when they discover something that is better than themselves that can elevate them and bring them a more complete perspective.

If you knew where you came from, why you're here, and where you're going, your life would have complete perspective.  Organized religion, and even a personal search for truth can help reveal these things.  And YES, EVERYONE in their life will ask those three questions.

Another aspect to support my argument is simply that all things denote there is a god.  THink about it.  Where is there more wicked people in the world?  Scattered among atheists, or bulked together in religious bodies?  Yes, they're in religious bodies.  Now, if there were not truly a God in Heaven, and an adversary who wishes for our destruction, who would be more valuable targets for said adversary to attack?  Exactly, he would turn those who are learning of God into proud, unholy, self-righteous warmongers (see current US president). 

Think of the screwtape letters (CS Lewis) where  you can see the goal of God's adversary as they exploit our strengths and weaknesses for his purpose.  If you understood what God wants for us and what the adversary wants for us, you'd realize that this world and the calamities in it make perfect sense.  You'd see that every generation of man has had Prophets (men who speak directly with God and pass that on to man) who have prophesied of EVERYTHING that has happened both locally and globally.  If you actually understood the writings of the prophets in the New Testament, some of the prophesies in the Old Testament too (Isaiah, Daniel, etc), you'd see their prophecies coming true today.  And guess which one I'm currently waiting for that will happen probably sooner than later..."All nations will gather against Israel to war..."  But hey, this is all just me having a frenzied mind, right? 

Oh, and I'd love for you to cite some of the "science" that proves evolution.  Then I'd love for you to tackle the truth that scientist are just dumb, slow, vain men and women trying to discover how God created things, seasons, time and space.  They get it now and then, but mostly they are dealing with adversaries beyond their understanding.
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6647

IRONCHEF wrote:

Oh, and I'd love for you to cite some of the "science" that proves evolution.
Hahahaha!!!!! This is exactly what I'm talking about, people. Pray to your god that IRONCHEF is never in a position of true power.

FYI, IRONCHEF, nowhere did I say that I didn't believe in God. Also note that "his" teachings are simply what your priest, pope, etc. tell you to believe. Even the Bible was written by man. It would be correct to assert that you are not worshipping God, but rather your priest instead....you just don't realize it. Also, you seemed to have totally missed my emphasis on ORGANIZED religion, but after reading your post in its entirety, that really doesn't surprise me.

Last edited by Fancy_Pollux (2006-09-19 10:50:39)

IRONCHEF

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

IRONCHEF wrote:

Hahahaha!!!!! This is exactly what I'm talking about, people. Pray to your god that IRONCHEF is never in a position of true power.

FYI, IRONCHEF, nowhere did I say that I didn't believe in God. Also note that "his" teachings are simply what your priest, pope, etc. tell you to believe. Even the Bible was written by man.
Great, you're a genius.  Can you answer my questions and actually respond to what I wrote?  Also, do you know me?  Do you know the way I learn truths?  Or is it just easy enough to assume that 95% of the world, throughout the ages are just learning the teachings and precepts of man.

And since you're unlearned about the origins of the bible, I'll give you a brief history.  The King James Bible, which I read, was a scolarly and praful translation done in the 1500s by the order of England's King James.  His translators took the existing translations and did their best.  However, if you go back in time, there were original writings such as Paul's Epistle to the various regions and churches he visited.  There's some of the original Apostolic writings including James, John (and his subsequent writings including Revelation), and Peter's writings.  The Old testament also includes writings of many ancient prophets including those of Moses (first 5 books of OT), Elisha, Zedekiah, Malachi, etc.  HOWEVER, and this may be the source of your angst... MEN did translate these writings and because MEN don't understand things because they don't posess the spirit of god when they translate, they write what makes sense to them.  THIS alone is the cause for so many different interpretations, so many different translations to different texts, and for so much discord among biblical readers.

NOBODY has ever said GOD wrote the Bible..except those fools on the fringes.  For me, I know the Bible contains much of the Word of God (literally), but due to hundreds of translations over the ages since the original books were written..much is lost.  Further, the 66 books in the King James Bible are not all there is.  It is known that every prophet was commanded to record his dealings with God, yet there are manymissing.  Constantine, when he ordered the compilation of what we know as the "Bible", he had his priests read to him from the many originals and copies of the writings of the prophets and he chose what should and shouldn't be compiled into what is the bible.  The apochryphal writings were added even later and remain in the catholic version of the bible.  In short, it's obvious that Constantine was not an inpsired man (see Songs of Solomon and you'll see why).  I've read the bible several times, even in 2 different languages and if you read those writings prayerfully, there's no problem understanding what God intended for us to gain and what is the misspelling/mistranslation/purposeful ommission of man. 

Anyway, I see that you're purpose is not to be objectionable but rather to argue and show your anger and ineptitude for this topic so I'm not expecting much.  What I have said is true and that is good enough for me.
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6647

IRONCHEF wrote:

Great, you're a genius.  Can you answer my questions and actually respond to what I wrote?  Also, do you know me?  Do you know the way I learn truths?  Or is it just easy enough to assume that 95% of the world, throughout the ages are just learning the teachings and precepts of man.

And since you're unlearned about the origins of the bible, I'll give you a brief history.  The King James Bible, which I read, was a scolarly and praful translation done in the 1500s by the order of England's King James.  His translators took the existing translations and did their best.  However, if you go back in time, there were original writings such as Paul's Epistle to the various regions and churches he visited.  There's some of the original Apostolic writings including James, John (and his subsequent writings including Revelation), and Peter's writings.  The Old testament also includes writings of many ancient prophets including those of Moses (first 5 books of OT), Elisha, Zedekiah, Malachi, etc.  HOWEVER, and this may be the source of your angst... MEN did translate these writings and because MEN don't understand things because they don't posess the spirit of god when they translate, they write what makes sense to them.  THIS alone is the cause for so many different interpretations, so many different translations to different texts, and for so much discord among biblical readers.

NOBODY has ever said GOD wrote the Bible..except those fools on the fringes.  For me, I know the Bible contains much of the Word of God (literally), but due to hundreds of translations over the ages since the original books were written..much is lost.  Further, the 66 books in the King James Bible are not all there is.  It is known that every prophet was commanded to record his dealings with God, yet there are manymissing.  Constantine, when he ordered the compilation of what we know as the "Bible", he had his priests read to him from the many originals and copies of the writings of the prophets and he chose what should and shouldn't be compiled into what is the bible.  The apochryphal writings were added even later and remain in the catholic version of the bible.  In short, it's obvious that Constantine was not an inpsired man (see Songs of Solomon and you'll see why).  I've read the bible several times, even in 2 different languages and if you read those writings prayerfully, there's no problem understanding what God intended for us to gain and what is the misspelling/mistranslation/purposeful ommission of man. 

Anyway, I see that you're purpose is not to be objectionable but rather to argue and show your anger and ineptitude for this topic so I'm not expecting much.  What I have said is true and that is good enough for me.
My rebuttal:

IRONCHEF wrote:

IRONCHEF

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

IRONCHEF wrote:

My rebuttal:

IRONCHEF wrote:

Ok, you lost me.  Your rebuttal?
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6765|d

IRONCHEF wrote:

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

IRONCHEF wrote:

My rebuttal:

IRONCHEF wrote:

Ok, you lost me.  Your rebuttal?
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&am … p;ct=title

http://www.thorlinks.com/mediaview/1383 … Jesus_Camp
Terrorist camp ?

Last edited by mafia996630 (2006-09-19 11:05:14)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6557
Organised religion is not the source of violence in the world it is just a source of violence in the world. A lot of things are done in the names of various religions that have very little to do with those religions I might add.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina

IRONCHEF wrote:

Pollux,

Just because YOU don't believe in God or His dealings with man throughout the ages, doesn't mean it's not real.  And yes, you'll have your time.

As for your notion that "organized religion" is as you put it, then let's imagine the world without said religious activity.  Would there be half the compassion and good will in the world without it?  Do you think without organized religion there would be good people just being good for fun?  Exactly...there wouldn't.  People "can" be good, but more than not, people are good for a purpose they feel in their lives.  People gain purpose when they discover something that is better than themselves that can elevate them and bring them a more complete perspective.

If you knew where you came from, why you're here, and where you're going, your life would have complete perspective.  Organized religion, and even a personal search for truth can help reveal these things.  And YES, EVERYONE in their life will ask those three questions.

Another aspect to support my argument is simply that all things denote there is a god.  THink about it.  Where is there more wicked people in the world?  Scattered among atheists, or bulked together in religious bodies?  Yes, they're in religious bodies.  Now, if there were not truly a God in Heaven, and an adversary who wishes for our destruction, who would be more valuable targets for said adversary to attack?  Exactly, he would turn those who are learning of God into proud, unholy, self-righteous warmongers (see current US president). 

Think of the screwtape letters (CS Lewis) where  you can see the goal of God's adversary as they exploit our strengths and weaknesses for his purpose.  If you understood what God wants for us and what the adversary wants for us, you'd realize that this world and the calamities in it make perfect sense.  You'd see that every generation of man has had Prophets (men who speak directly with God and pass that on to man) who have prophesied of EVERYTHING that has happened both locally and globally.  If you actually understood the writings of the prophets in the New Testament, some of the prophesies in the Old Testament too (Isaiah, Daniel, etc), you'd see their prophecies coming true today.  And guess which one I'm currently waiting for that will happen probably sooner than later..."All nations will gather against Israel to war..."  But hey, this is all just me having a frenzied mind, right? 

Oh, and I'd love for you to cite some of the "science" that proves evolution.  Then I'd love for you to tackle the truth that scientist are just dumb, slow, vain men and women trying to discover how God created things, seasons, time and space.  They get it now and then, but mostly they are dealing with adversaries beyond their understanding.
National Geographic Channel and Discovery for you asap.
IRONCHEF

CameronPoe wrote:

Organised religion is not the source of violence in the world it is just a source of violence in the world. A lot of things are done in the names of various religions that have very little to do with those religions I might add.
Yes, this is probably the best answer for the initial question.  Further, I'd just add that it's moreso that MAN either misinterpreting religion or creating religion that is the culprit.  After all, religion is a broad thing.  I can create the battlefield2 religion and designate in game TKing as my practice based on the principle of some self serving need to whore helicopters.

People kill people, not "religion."  People can learn ideologies from personal or organized religions, but in the end, they alone are accountable for the violence they pursue.
IRONCHEF

sergeriver wrote:

IRONCHEF wrote:

Pollux,

Again, is there proof or a theory.  Judging by your citations, I see that you don't know.  Discovery channel and Nat'l Geographic channel are television producers and they play films created by people reporting things both true and not.  But if that's the proof you need, then by goly, continue to live in ignorance.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina

IRONCHEF wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

IRONCHEF wrote:

Pollux,

Again, is there proof or a theory.  Judging by your citations, I see that you don't know.  Discovery channel and Nat'l Geographic channel are television producers and they play films created by people reporting things both true and not.  But if that's the proof you need, then by goly, continue to live in ignorance.
I believe what I know is a fact, and you should try.  I never said I don't believe in God, but I don't believe in Religion.  If you are questioning the Theory of Evolution then who is living in ignorance?
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6647

IRONCHEF wrote:

then by goly, continue to live in ignorance.
As easy as IRONCHEF is making it for us to ridicule him right now, let's refrain and look at it for what it is: reinforcement of my original post. The more he talks, the more he proves me right. And, the hilarity of it all is that he's not even aware of it.

Last edited by Fancy_Pollux (2006-09-19 11:23:47)

IRONCHEF
Pollux, you can keep trying to strongarm me, but your inability to address a single thing I've said shows your credibility as nothing.  SO go ahead with your cute little pretended victory dance with stephen colbert's thumb up yer ass and have a blast pretending you know something about nothing.
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6647

IRONCHEF wrote:

Pollux, you can keep trying to strongarm me, but your inability to address a single thing I've said shows your credibility as nothing.  SO go ahead with your cute little pretended victory dance with stephen colbert's thumb up yer ass and have a blast pretending you know something about nothing.
You're kidding, right? Are you seriously asking me to find you evidence supporting the theory of evolution?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard