mKmalfunction
Infamous meleeKings cult. Est. 2003 B.C.
+82|6541|The Lost Highway

RDMC(2) wrote:

mKmalfunction wrote:

I didn't even bother to read this. Getting rid of religion doesn't mean getting rid of violence. It's in our nature to fight, regardless of the reason.

No religion? Sweet, now we can fight over race even more... Or good 'ol politics.

Edit: I read it, and still stand by what I said.
What your saying is true, getting rid of Religion will probably not take away the entire violence, but think about this. The Attack on 9/11 happened due to religion because the so called ''Allah'' commanded those bitches to go out there and kill American, same is for the suicide bombings, there religion ''so called, calls them to go and suicide'' So Religion does play a huge part in the violionce going on, but polictians also play a vital role.
The whole 'Islam' thing isn't the 'meat' of this 'meal.' You think the main reason they hate America is 'cos Islam tells them to? I think it has ALOT more to do with our foreign policy, than ancient religion.

They may have been rallied in the name of Allah, but could have just as easily been rallied in the name of heritage, pride, etc.

Bertster7 wrote:

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

When stupid and submissive people unite under their common religious beliefs, you have the makings of the biggest source of violence and bloodshed the world has ever seen. I find it rediculous that people are willing to kill and die in the name of their religion. We have fanatics blowing themselves up everyday, jackasses claiming that dinosaurs were put on Earth as God's test of man's faith, and those who, despite all scientific proof, claim evolution is not real. I'm not saying people aren't entitled to their beliefs, they just don't need a church between them and their god. A church isn't led by your god, it's led by humans, who, when given this power, are no less corrupt than your average crooked politician.

The extent to which organized religion can brainwash such a large majority of the world into defying science, reasoning, and truth is truly shocking....even more so than Hitler's influence over Nazi Germany. I can't help but think I'm on crazy pills when I question how can so many people be so meek. When fanatics fight in the name of their religion, do they even know why? I just see these people as zombies incapable of higher reasoning or imagination. All sides are guilty here. There is no "right" organized religion because organized religion in itself is wrong.

Discuss.

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

mKmalfunction wrote:

Religion causes, at the very least, an equal amount of pacifisim as violence.
Religion? Yes. Organized religion? No. There is absolutely no reason why someone would need a church to worship their god. It puts the wrong people in positions of great power and influence. It has been a trend throughout human history.
I agree entirely. Organised religion causes nothing but trouble. It doesn't matter whether it's Islamic fundamentalists suicide bombing embassies or Christian fundamentalistics fire bombing abortion clinics - they're all just as bad as each other.

Organised religion should be banned worldwide as part of the war on terror, which would probably cause more problems initially, but might sort stuff out in the long run - less brainwashing bullshit.

A less drastic step would be to prevent religious people standing for government. So that at least important decisions could be made by people who aren't swayed by a 'god'. I am pleased to say that in Britain politicians know that religion is not a vote winer (you only have to google Blairs famous 'we don't do god' incident to see that). In the US however the president often seems to end public addresses with 'god bless you' or 'god bless America', which in the US seems to win votes and increase popularity. I think this intertwining of church and state is very wrong. Worse examples can be found in countries like Saudi Arabia and Iran which are quite hardcore Islamic states.
As many people are brainwashed by Atheisim as any other religion. What? Athiesim isn't a religion? Sure it is. In my experience, Atheists are far more close minded than any religious people I've talked to.

Seriously, getting rid of religion wouldn't solve a damn thing. I'd go as far as saying it'd make it worse. Preventing religious people from being in Government? That's impossible. As Athiesim is a religion. Plus, it would be an unfair representation of the people.

Last edited by mKmalfunction (2006-09-17 11:38:05)

[PTG]shogun
PS n00b & proud vista user
+44|6434
read charriot of the Gods., it explains exeryting, compleat bullshit but it makes sence.

science>religion
science is open to debate and change. also to accepting they are wrong, it also tryies to slove problems and explain things wih common scens (whihc aint that common)

EDIT: i belive that people are toataly intitled to there belifs so long as they keep it to themselves. if you what a good bais on an arugment against religion then i will be happey to give you one

Last edited by [PTG]shogun (2006-09-17 11:42:22)

mKmalfunction
Infamous meleeKings cult. Est. 2003 B.C.
+82|6541|The Lost Highway

[PTG]shogun wrote:

read charriot of the Gods., it explains exeryting, compleat bullshit but it makes sence.

science>religion
science is open to debate and change. also to accepting they are wrong, it also tryies to slove problems and explain things wih common scens (whihc aint that common)

EDIT: i belive that people are toataly intitled to there belifs so long as they keep it to themselves. if you what a good bais on an arugment against religion then i will be happey to give you one
Are you drunk? Or just better at Science than English?
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6691|Tampa Bay Florida
Fighting over political agenda has much more of a chance to prove who's right and who's wrong than fighting over religion.  If a government is doing poorly, the people will eventually have a chance to rise up and defeat it, and make things the way they want.  In religion, especially if it's forced onto you, you're told right from the beginning that questioning what they say goes against it.  So I think fighting over agendas is better because everyone has a chance to see for themselves whether or not they really want to be a part of it.  In religion, the people don't have a chance to see whether they're right or wrong, they listen to whoevers leading the church/temple or whatever.

btw mkmalfunction - I think you're saying atheism is a religion as an excuse.  No one will kill in the name of atheism unless they are being threatened by someone else, and chances are the aggresor would have some degree of religious beliefs.  You could be right, but I think you're misusing the word "relgion".  Atheists don't believe in a higher force, they believe in science only.

Last edited by Spearhead (2006-09-17 12:11:13)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina
You don't need some asshole from a church, a temple, a mosque, or whatever to tell you what to believe in.  You must believe in what you think it's right and there's no need of religion in order to believe in God.  You can believe in God and be out of any religion. 
What organized religion seeks is your fear and when you have fear you do what is necessary to be protected, which means giving them money to have your place in paradise secured.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6521|Πάϊ

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

When stupid and submissive people unite under their common religious beliefs, you have the makings of the biggest source of violence and bloodshed the world has ever seen. I find it rediculous that people are willing to kill and die in the name of their religion. We have fanatics blowing themselves up everyday, jackasses claiming that dinosaurs were put on Earth as God's test of man's faith, and those who, despite all scientific proof, claim evolution is not real. I'm not saying people aren't entitled to their beliefs, they just don't need a church between them and their god. A church isn't led by your god, it's led by humans, who, when given this power, are no less corrupt than your average crooked politician.

The extent to which organized religion can brainwash such a large majority of the world into defying science, reasoning, and truth is truly shocking....even more so than Hitler's influence over Nazi Germany. I can't help but think I'm on crazy pills when I question how can so many people be so meek. When fanatics fight in the name of their religion, do they even know why? I just see these people as zombies incapable of higher reasoning or imagination. All sides are guilty here. There is no "right" organized religion because organized religion in itself is wrong.

Discuss.
If the problem lies with organization then religion is only one of the world's sources of violence. There are others, such as nationality, political parties, countries etc.

Why are there borders between different nationalities? Why are Americans living in the US and Italians in Italy and so on? People are being organized according to their place of birth and are followers of the traditions and way of life of a space defined by "national borders".

The church was once useful, because it was the only place where people could gather up (outside the institution of the family) and act as a unit. The fact that this is not the case today is irrelevant. I think the church was the only useful thing that came out of religion.

Also, there are fanatics everywhere: in religion, politics, sport etc. That's because people get one-sided information. They only hear half of what they should.

Bottom line: whether its religion or politics, Allah or Money, its those who misinform the people you should be fighting, not their product.

Last edited by oug (2006-09-17 13:32:57)

ƒ³
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6543|Texas - Bigger than France
I don't think religion is the problem.

I think the problem really is when religion becomes politics, or the political agenda.

Unfortunately religion is too open to interpretation.  So by intertwining as political policy becomes something that can never be "solved".  Enforcement of religious beliefs via politics causes the problem as no one really agrees what exactly all the parameters of the ideology.

Secondly, even if a secular government succedes in its short term goals, they will eventually find something else to chase.  Most religions promote self-improvement so the list of things to do or fight will never end...the list will just continue to expand.
samhornby
Bo'Selecta!
+14|6553
Well Duh.

Thats all I need to say tbh.
[PTG]shogun
PS n00b & proud vista user
+44|6434

mKmalfunction wrote:

[PTG]shogun wrote:

science>religion

Are you drunk? Or just better at Science than English?
nope im 15, dyslexic and yes i am better at science
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

mKmalfunction wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Discuss.

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Religion? Yes. Organized religion? No. There is absolutely no reason why someone would need a church to worship their god. It puts the wrong people in positions of great power and influence. It has been a trend throughout human history.
I agree entirely. Organised religion causes nothing but trouble. It doesn't matter whether it's Islamic fundamentalists suicide bombing embassies or Christian fundamentalistics fire bombing abortion clinics - they're all just as bad as each other.

Organised religion should be banned worldwide as part of the war on terror, which would probably cause more problems initially, but might sort stuff out in the long run - less brainwashing bullshit.

A less drastic step would be to prevent religious people standing for government. So that at least important decisions could be made by people who aren't swayed by a 'god'. I am pleased to say that in Britain politicians know that religion is not a vote winer (you only have to google Blairs famous 'we don't do god' incident to see that). In the US however the president often seems to end public addresses with 'god bless you' or 'god bless America', which in the US seems to win votes and increase popularity. I think this intertwining of church and state is very wrong. Worse examples can be found in countries like Saudi Arabia and Iran which are quite hardcore Islamic states.
As many people are brainwashed by Atheisim as any other religion. What? Athiesim isn't a religion? Sure it is. In my experience, Atheists are far more close minded than any religious people I've talked to.

Seriously, getting rid of religion wouldn't solve a damn thing. I'd go as far as saying it'd make it worse. Preventing religious people from being in Government? That's impossible. As Athiesim is a religion. Plus, it would be an unfair representation of the people.
Atheism isn't a religion in any normal sense. Atheism is not based on faith. Atheism is based on ideas backed by evidence. The ideas held by atheists evolve with changes in modern science. That is why you are right in your statement that most atheists are quite closed minded. This is because atheists tend to require some evidence before they will accept an idea. I think that is a good thing that encourages less weak minded individuals not to merely follow what others believe.

An important element of all religions is faith, atheism does not revolve around faith and is therefore not a religion in any normal sense. I realise that religion is a very ill defined concept and that you may well be able to find definitions that do not fit in with this explaination - but this is what the vast majority of people think of as religion.

Removing religion from politics is always a good thing to do. Look at what happens in states that are ruled by religion, bad things. Secular government is the only way forward. That is how the government works in the UK, although to a lesser extent than I would like. In the US there is more religion in government because that is what the voters want.

It is clear that extremely religious governments do not work well (Iran, Saudi Arabia), secular based governments work better, but there is still religion in them. Is it totally implausible that removing religion entirely from governments will help even further. That is not to say that government representatives should not be religious, only that the government itself should not acknoledge religion. Statements like 'God bless America' should not be made by politicians.

Religion is not THE problem. But it is a problem. Removing it would be good in the long term. Not disallowing people to believe in things, but putting an end to organised religion. Religious texts would still be available and religious ideas could be circulated, but by impartial third parties.

Organised religion influences the world we live in. It is not the place of these religious bodies to have such influence, yet because it has happened throughout history it is accepted. There is no place for organised religion anymore. It should be banned.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2006-09-17 16:31:34)

Not
Great success!
+216|6578|Chandler, AZ

Spearhead wrote:

btw mkmalfunction - I think you're saying atheism is a religion as an excuse.  No one will kill in the name of atheism unless they are being threatened by someone else, and chances are the aggresor would have some degree of religious beliefs.  You could be right, but I think you're misusing the word "relgion".  Atheists don't believe in a higher force, they believe in science only.
Where malfunction actually made his mistake was in trying to group Atheism with Organized religion. If he were to read the thread more carefully, he'd understand that the OP is not opposed to religion itself, rather the systems of control put into place by organized churches. Have you ever seen an Athiest church?

Your comparison of the two simply isn't appropriate.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

Not wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Where malfunction actually made his mistake was in trying to group Atheism with Organized religion. If he were to read the thread more carefully, he'd understand that the OP is not opposed to religion itself, rather the systems of control put into place by organized churches. Have you ever seen an Athiest church?

Your comparison of the two simply isn't appropriate.
I agree. There is no organisation of atheism. Peoples beliefs are not the issue here, it is the bodies that influence them in a devine name that is what is being objected to.

You could call atheism a belief. But I wouldn't, I would call it the most likely conclusion based on availiable facts.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563
I disagree: greed is the source of all conflict.  As a source of great power, religion typically causes conflict, but in the end it all comes down to the guy at the top wanting power.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

Bubbalo wrote:

I disagree: greed is the source of all conflict.  As a source of great power, religion typically causes conflict, but in the end it all comes down to the guy at the top wanting power.
Yeah, greed is a reason - but not a means. Organised religion is a means to influence millions of people. It is not only a means but also a source of conflict, yet another difference - which is what most conflict is aboutm differences. Treating other groups of people as if they're sub-human. Ethnicity is another reason, but you can't ban that.
MajorHoulahan_MASH
+31|6724
Oh, Buddha !

Imagine if only Mahatma Gandhi  and  Marten Luther King and  John Lennon were still among us ....

What a wonderful world  it would be.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563
Bertster:  The topic is the source of the world's violence, not how it is imlemented.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command
What would you know you  Lizard.
Lizards don't have souls; ask any Christian.

Last edited by ATG (2006-09-17 22:17:33)

-={TTK}=-VNVnation
+0|6440
i have a huge opinion on this but i dont feel like writing an essay, ill just state it: organized religion is good, and i feel it is unfair to place 99.9 percent of organized religion followers with the small percentage of muslim extremists that condone acts of terorism. muslim extremists can be looked at as super-extreme klansmen in relation to christianity, and no one i know really considers being a klansman following an organized religion, rather, organized ignorance.

Last edited by -={TTK}=-VNVnation (2006-09-17 22:35:10)

OpsChief
+101|6677|Southern California
the root cause of all human initiated violence is greed

most religions have warnings about greed and its malicious nature

most religions are made up of people

people are corruptable by greed

damn i forgot where i was going with this.... oh ya therefore religions arent a cause or effect, it is the greedy people with power within the religions, business, scientific community or political parties who are the cause of violence. But then all of those insititutions grew out of anarchy so wtf do we do now?

get religion!!! it ain't perfect but it is the only institution that recognizes the root cause of violence and promotes a proven solution  (except when a greedy twit is running it)

damn i sound like that alien dude in "the Day the Earth Stood Still"!

Last edited by OpsChief (2006-09-17 22:58:59)

Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563

-={TTK}=-VNVnation wrote:

and i feel it is unfair to place 99.9 percent of organized religion followers with the small percentage of muslim extremists that condone acts of terorism.
So there are no Christian extremists?
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6633|Finland

Bubbalo wrote:

-={TTK}=-VNVnation wrote:

and i feel it is unfair to place 99.9 percent of organized religion followers with the small percentage of muslim extremists that condone acts of terorism.
So there are no Christian extremists?
https://www.ferris.edu/jimcrow/question/kkk.jpg

https://files.myopera.com/zenya/blog/crusades.jpg

https://www.rickross.com/images/waco.jpg

Last edited by DonFck (2006-09-17 23:22:19)

I need around tree fiddy.
OpsChief
+101|6677|Southern California
Don you are hitting close - the images you have posted do not reflect the views of all christians nor in fact do al queda or others reflect muslim views, so far.

maybe generalizations are the root cause of all misunderstanding, oh don't get me started again
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6633|Finland

Exactly. There are always extremists in each and every religion. Why muslims are getting the shitty end of the stick when it comes to generalization, can perhaps be related to western media being controlled by "Main-Stream" Christians? Dunno..
I need around tree fiddy.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command

DonFck wrote:

Exactly. There are always extremists in each and every religion. Why muslims are getting the shitty end of the stick when it comes to generalization, can perhaps be related to western media being controlled by "Main-Stream" Christians? Dunno..
Perhaps because they like
A) Shooting women who try to get educated ( and for a host of other reasons)
B) Flying airplanes into buildings
C) Blowing themselves up in crowded places
D) Justifying all of the above under the guise of a moral crusade.
C) Spreading their religion by the sword.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563
Ahem.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard