pennangton
From Israel with love
+7|6748|Israel
Hi, looking for people who have good knowledge of computer memory.

I currently have 2x512mb PC6400 at latency of 5-5-5-15.

I am thinking of buying an extra 2x1gb of PC6400 at latency of 5-5-5-12-T1

Would this work?

Thanks in advance
Twist
Too old to be doing this sh*t
+103|6535|Little blue planet, milky way
Yep... It'll work just fine.
Stomper_40k
Re-Incarnation. You mean re-spawn right?
+44|6658|Cardiff - Wales - UK
Check your motherboard will take 2x1gb sticks first as some boards have a maximum limit on the amount of RAM they'll accept.

Try this site

http://www.crucial.com/uk

stick your motherboard manfacturer and model in and it'll tell you what RAM your board will take

Last edited by Stomper_40k (2006-09-14 04:18:04)

lehter
+4|6461
You can have those memories running together with pretty high confidence, but at what timings, is completely another question.

As a rule of thumb, all the memories must be run at the timings of the slower memory. So in your case 5-5-5-15. You didn't specify the T timing of your 512's, but the slower one is again the one that matters.

Also, adding DIMMs to the bus may have adverse affects. Depending on the quality of your DIMMs (both new and old), you may be able to run with tighter timings, but if you're out of luck, you may need to drop the timings even below the slower one's timings to get the computer stable. Especially your ability to OC (if you've done that), will most likely drop.

Also, the make and model of memories matters. Avoid mixing DIMMs from different manufacturers, and even different product lines. If you have high-performance memory, don't buy value RAM.

hth,
lehter
--->[Your]Phobia<---
+35|6768|UK - England
It will work. as long as PC6400 is supported (or up to it)
pennangton
From Israel with love
+7|6748|Israel
Ok thanks you all you guys, all your feedback is much appreciated and it looks like it will run it after all, so I'll go and order some. +1 to all. thanks again

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard