Dex Luther
+32|6456|Canukastan
Have I been wrong all these years, or is the rule of thumb still "If you're in a server and getting a high ping, it means you probably don't belong there."

I'm asking because it seems almost as if the rule's changed over night and I wasn't informed. All day today I've been hopping on servers and notice people are skipping around like retards. I hold tab to check out the ping situation and there's people with pings as high as 600!

Aren't the servers setup to kick high ping people anymore? Am I just unluckily stumbling into servers that aren't set up that way and there just happens to be a bunch of idiots who don't know how to pick servers present?

Here's what I mean:

These are two servers I went to completely randomly (play now button) to make sure it wasn't my server selection skills that were lacking.

#1:

https://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4871/pingvo7.jpg

#2:

https://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3433/pongfo7.jpg

In one of the two even THE ADMINS had high IPs.

It's been like this in all the servers I've been in tonight.
Unclean009
Da Dirty Man!
+66|6670|Spokane, Washington

Thats really weird....something like that has never happened to me =\
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6693|Canberra, AUS
Wow, you actually got the Play Now button to work?!
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
~Smokey~
Steve Irwin Reincarnate
+396|6556|Internetfitlerland

I did a test with the elusive 'Play Now' button, ended up me restarting my computer.
brome
brap.
+244|6605|Accidental, TK
quit complaining.  i always have high pings cause my computer is kack.  I dislike it when people say "oh noes my computer is better tahn urs so u dont desrve to be in my server".  I don't cause anyone else any woe, just stutter myself on top of several nades without even realising. 
Unclean009
Da Dirty Man!
+66|6670|Spokane, Washington

Spark wrote:

Wow, you actually got the Play Now button to work?!
You know, thats a good point...how the hell DID you get the Play Now button to work!
twiistaaa
+87|6687|mexico
i dont think the pings are accurate. it was saying i had a 300 ping but i was playing completely normal. later it went down to its normal 30-40..
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6583|Area 51
Kicking for high ping goes by average, if someone has a ping of 600 as average ping, that will mean he would be on the friggin moon playing Battlefield, that will answer question one
About the admins having high pings, is either just a spike in their network system, or when that admin shares the network with multiple computers and someone is downloading on his/her PC that will cause the ping the rise, anyway that was the problem for my clanleader.
Dex Luther
+32|6456|Canukastan
Well for the Play Now button question: I dunno I just clicked it and it worked. I usually never use it so I was unaware of the fact that it's not supposed to work (maybe that has something to do with it).

Now as for the other stuff... If the pings aren't accurate wouldn't the server run smooth? These servers had people skipping all over the place, so in one server I pressed tab, looked for someone with a normal looking IP, and hunted that person down (hence the 9/3 score on sceenshot).

I know that usually servers kick based on the average ping, but it seemed like that was broken tonight. There were many people with pings that were above 150 the whole time most were somewhere in the 200's.

It's really weird. I've never seen so many high pings, ever.

Hope it's better tomorrow.

brome wrote:

quit complaining.  i always have high pings cause my computer is kack.  I dislike it when people say "oh noes my computer is better tahn urs so u dont desrve to be in my server".  I don't cause anyone else any woe, just stutter myself on top of several nades without even realising. 
My computer is almost that way too, but even when a crap computer you can find servers that are close to you and get pings below 50.

Last edited by Dex Luther (2006-09-13 00:34:00)

Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6719
i deleted the play now button after the first few disastrous attempts to use it. Apparently, "play now" is just a euphemism for "staring at this blank screen for 5 minutes is so very entertaining, isn't it?"
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6663
yeah some high pings
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6650|Finland

If anything, the "Play Now"-button COULD be placed somewhere else than at the exact same location as "Disconnect"
I need around tree fiddy.
MECtallica
+73|6522|jalalabad
ping po-BANNED
pure_beef_69
Banned
+186|6665
Ping
jord
+2,382|6696|The North, beyond the wall.
Kicking for ping is often a way to kick you for killing an admin and pass it off as okay.
DavidianCox
...from the internet
+60|6675|Birmingham
PO-ssibly the server had recenetly crashed and the auto kick for high ping had been dissabled that often happens with my server.
Doggehspike
~Ð~
+41|6511
I've had the same thing, I was on my normal server ping at 15 then it jumped to around 200+ I wasn't the only one either, half of the people got kicked due to high ping. Doesn't happen often though.
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6564|Doncaster, UK
Maybe one of the server admins can answer this. When you are kicked for a high average ping, how long is that average taken over?
pure_beef_69
Banned
+186|6665
pong
BUDFORCE
Moderator Emeritus
+76|6791|London UK

PONG
PspRpg-7
-
+961|6716

RDMC(2) wrote:

Kicking for high ping goes by average, if someone has a ping of 600 as average ping, that will mean he would be on the friggin moon playing Battlefield, that will answer question one
About the admins having high pings, is either just a spike in their network system, or when that admin shares the network with multiple computers and someone is downloading on his/her PC that will cause the ping the rise, anyway that was the problem for my clanleader.
MINE EYES, MINE EYES, THEY ARE BURNING!
WilhelmSissener
Banned
+557|6751|Oslo, Norway
wtf, HIGH IPs!

wtf?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard