sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semite

In linguistics and ethnology, Semitic (from the Biblical "Shem", he:שם, translated as "name") was first used to refer to a language family of largely Middle Eastern origin, now called the Semitic languages. This family includes the ancient and modern forms of Amharic, Arabic, Aramaic, Assyrian, Akkadian, Hebrew, Maltese, Syriac, Tigrinya, etc.

Semitic peoples and their languages in modern and ancient historic times have covered a broad area bridging Africa, Western Asia and the Arabian Peninsula. The earliest historic (written) evidences of them are found in the Fertile Crescent, an area encompassing the Babylonian and Assyrian civilizations along the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, extending northwest into southern Asia Minor (modern Turkey) and the Levant along the eastern Mediterranean. (Today this same region is populated by Arabic speakers except for Israel, where modern Hebrew was reintroduced in the 20th century as the national language.) Early traces of Semitic speakers are found, too, in South Arabian inscriptions in Yemen and later, in Roman times, in Nabataean inscriptions from Petra (modern Jordan) south into Arabia.
d4rkst4r
biggie smalls
+72|6455|Ontario, Canada
this makes no sense
"you know life is what we make it, and a chance is like a picture, it'd be nice if you just take it"
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina

AllmightyOz wrote:

fucking jews.
You must be Israeli.
AllmightyOz
+50|6488|United States - Ohio
Nope, American.
TodErnst
It's not a bug, it's a feature
+38|6630|Muenster, Germany

AllmightyOz wrote:

fucking jews.
i prefer fucking women :p
religion is irrelevant (sorry off-topic)

Topic: yes, i think they can and their politics are

Last edited by TodErnst (2006-09-12 15:44:49)

AllmightyOz
+50|6488|United States - Ohio
guten tag und hallo.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina

d4rkst4r wrote:

this makes no sense
I think it does.  The word antisemitic is used to describe the hate or hostility against jews, but we must remember that a lot of Arab countries are semites.  The most spoken semitic language is Arabic, with more than 200 million, the we have Amharic, 27 million and Hebrew 7 million.  So, hating all your semite neighbors makes you the most anti-semite country in the world.  Such a contradiction.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694
K whatever. I'm teh jewish.. and what?
btw argentina ftw, i have family there, and guess what they are jews .
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina

Superior Mind wrote:

K whatever. I'm teh jewish.. and what?
btw argentina ftw, i have family there, and guess what they are jews .
Thx.  Guess what?  I'm jewish too dude.
PRiMACORD
+190|6626|Home of the Escalade Herds
I remember reading some article about there not being many true Jewish people left because of heavy mixing with europeans.

It certainly makes a lot of sense when you look at Israelis, they don't look like they are from the ME at all, they look european.

Not on topic, just came into my head for some reason after reading the op.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

PRiMACORD wrote:

I remember reading some article about there not being many true Jewish people left because of heavy mixing with europeans.

It certainly makes a lot of sense when you look at Israelis, they don't look like they are from the ME at all, they look european.

Depends - some Israelis look identical to Arabs - they just wear different funny hats and silly hairstyles.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina

PRiMACORD wrote:

Why should an anti-semite only hate jews, when jews are less than 10% of all semite people.  Who hates the most the other 90%?
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6666|NT, like Mick Dundee

PRiMACORD wrote:

Dammit, not again.

JEW = RELIGIOUS PERSUASION

HEBREW = ETHNICITY

You can't convert into a race. That's like me converting to become a negro.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina

Flecco wrote:

PRiMACORD wrote:

Dammit, not again.

HEBREW = ETHNICITY

When are you making the change?

I'm jewish and I don't follow any religion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jew religion and/or ethnicity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew language

Last edited by sergeriver (2006-09-13 05:03:28)

ProudLimey
+3|6438
Serge, what you have to understand is, and as silly as it sounds, is that 'Semite' and 'Anti-Semitic' are two completely separate words. You need look no further than the dictionary for this:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search? … =0&y=0
'Anti Semitic' - a person who discriminates against or is prejudiced or hostile toward Jews.
'Semite' - you're wiki link earlier is correct.

I'm sure this has been a subject of hot debate for decades, but the fact is these are two words which are not linked to one another in definitions, only in how they sound. So a short answer to your question: No, Israel could not be anti-semitic.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina

ProudLimey wrote:

Serge, what you have to understand is, and as silly as it sounds, is that 'Semite' and 'Anti-Semitic' are two completely separate words. You need look no further than the dictionary for this:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search? … =0&y=0
'Anti Semitic' - a person who discriminates against or is prejudiced or hostile toward Jews.
'Semite' - you're wiki link earlier is correct.

I'm sure this has been a subject of hot debate for decades, but the fact is these are two words which are not linked to one another in definitions, only in how they sound. So a short answer to your question: No, Israel could not be anti-semitic.
The fact is that the word antisemitic is wrongly used.  What you say about the dictionaries is right, but they are worng.  Since semites are all those countries I mentioned, how come anti-semite is only for jews?
ProudLimey
+3|6438
I know logically it is difficult to understand, but you or I cannot call the dictionary 'wrong'. The definition is there for a reason (word and meaning was first used in c19), so the best thing to do is to take the word for what it means and leave it at that!
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6666|NT, like Mick Dundee

sergeriver wrote:

Flecco wrote:

PRiMACORD wrote:

Dammit, not again.

HEBREW = ETHNICITY

When are you making the change?

I'm jewish and I don't follow any religion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jew religion and/or ethnicity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew language
Go back further. The israelite tribes and all that. I still fail to see how a religion can be an ethnicity at the same time.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard