theunfriendlypossum
+0|6445
Dumb question: In my system information it says i have an Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset for my computer.  On the battlefield website it says that i need an NVIDIA GeForce or an ATI Radeon.  I have no idea what each of those are but i am not going to spend a couple hundred on another video card for my computer.  THe problem is that everytime i try to play battlefield 2 the screen goes black and it crashes back on to the desktop immediately.  A friend of mine told me i needed one of the other two chipsets, but one of the posts said that Intel is one of the best.  PLEASE HELP!! Can anyone answer my question? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
INFERNO552
One shot wonder
+62|6446|canada
no clue, all i know is i use an nvidia card and it works fine
theunfriendlypossum
+0|6445
thanks anyways
Subliminal_Sub
+12|6560|Arizona
The "Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset"  is a Onboard video chipset that has pretty poor graphics for gaming. I highly doubt that even with all settings on low that it would run bf2,,   best bet would be to get a video card upgrade that your motherboard will support.  Dont have to spend hundreds  but it will need at least 128mg video ram to play decently.

Last edited by Subliminal_Sub (2006-09-10 19:15:41)

theunfriendlypossum
+0|6445
would the new patch help out with anything at all? -just a shot in the dark
DaZeD863
+11|6557
no... it wont... you can get a video card cheap on ebay... i got my 6800gt for 60 bucks and works like a charm all in all its a worth while upgrade
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6725|Las Vegas
Buy a video card or don't play.  Those are pretty much your options.  Onboard video is not for gaming...sorry.
[Wildcard]DaMaverick
+4|6493|Near the sky
Hello,

I think the best way is to buy another video card. ShortyourSix is right : onboard videocard are not make for videogame.
Personnaly I have a Leadteck : Winfast A350 and it works good ! ( As you i don't want to spend too much money )
Hope it helps
Foxhoundmgw
Man of Moebius Morals
+71|6587|Nottingham, UK

theunfriendlypossum wrote:

Dumb question: In my system information it says i have an Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset for my computer.  On the battlefield website it says that i need an NVIDIA GeForce or an ATI Radeon.  I have no idea what each of those are but i am not going to spend a couple hundred on another video card for my computer.  THe problem is that everytime i try to play battlefield 2 the screen goes black and it crashes back on to the desktop immediately.  A friend of mine told me i needed one of the other two chipsets, but one of the posts said that Intel is one of the best.  PLEASE HELP!! Can anyone answer my question? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Intel and AMD in review terms, refer to processors. Not graphics cards.

The statement about not paying out a couple of hundred bucks for _another_ graphics card, isn't really accurate, as you never paid out for one, it's on board and should have been explained as such by the store salesman. Especially as you presumably wanted it to game with, and the salesperson could have gone for a bonus by getting you to buy a 'recommended' card to go with your new system.

If you went and bought BF2, you should probably have been asked if your system met the hardware reqs, as stores VERY rarely offer refunds for customer error.

And as mentioned above, you need to a: buy a graphics card. b: forget about it and give it to a friend or use it as a coaster.
Penetrator
Certified Twat
+296|6514|Bournemouth, South England
The Intel Extreme (lol) onboard chipset is not particularly 3D orientated. Although it works with dx9 (just), it does not have the capacity for anything more extreme than Windows Pinball.

First you need to find out wether your MoBo is PCI-e or AGP compatible. AGP is the older version, but I rum smoothly on medium settings with NVid 6800 AGP.

If you spare £150 or equivilent, you will get either a reasonable PCI-e, or a good AGP, depending on MoBo.

Also, what are the rest of your system specs? Crash could be caused by RAM or CPU. GPU normally makes monitor flash into standy...

Last edited by Penetrator_01 (2006-09-11 02:46:12)

arson
+99|6643|New York

theunfriendlypossum wrote:

Is your mb a pci-e or agp? if its agp you can find great cards for very little money.  You can get an atix850pro card for under  $100 USD and flash the bios to the fastest agp card available, the ati x850xtpe. Mine runs at 1.2core ghz/ 1.2memory ghz (on h20) and  w  omega drivers. All the catalyst/warcats didnt work great with my card and I just artifacted at much lower speeds. 
  On a side note.. what kind of psu are you using? A black screen usually means the wrong resolution set ( too high) or psu not strong enough. BF2 is a resource monster and you really dont want to just meet the bare minimum.  You can pm me if you need any help getting your rig ready for BF2.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard