SexyCabbage
One Shot, One Kill ... Always
+68|6495|Kentucky
What woukd be some good physical upgrades i could do to my computer to make it faster and better.   Ihave a ATI radeon 9550, sound blaster audigy 4, 1.5 gigs of RAM, Intel Pentium 4 proc 2.40 ghz, and about 250 gig hard drive space.     what would be some reasonably cheap(under $125.00) to really help computer.     i would mainly like to get my processer speed up.
RichyCizzo
+9|6493|Florida
You aren't going to get a processor for 125 thats better than yours. Just spend a bit more and get a better graphics card.
SexyCabbage
One Shot, One Kill ... Always
+68|6495|Kentucky
But what are ways to overclock my proccessor?
Bilco
+3|6689|Northamptonshire UK
More memory, dont overclock you will only burn your whole PC.
I got 4Gb on memory now and can spawn in 10 seconds after loading the map. hardly ever beaten to be first to spawn.
Jbrar
rawr
+86|6557|Winterpeg, Canada
I got a similiar set up, not much you can upgrade except ram, and if you do, go 1 gig sticks.
vpyroman
Aeon Supreme commander
+16|6632|UCF
Even if you found a P4 chip that is less that $125, most P4 chips change socket size like i change underwear, so you might even need to change motherboard. And then you might need more power, so that's another $50.

BUT in 2 months, the new intel quad cores will be released, making the prices of single cores drop. There are also new $200 chips released this month or so, so yeah, you could get a new mobo and processor for about $160
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6597|SE London

Bilco wrote:

More memory, dont overclock you will only burn your whole PC.
I got 4Gb on memory now and can spawn in 10 seconds after loading the map. hardly ever beaten to be first to spawn.
There's no point in having 4GB of memory for BF2, the most it ever uses is just under 1.5GB. If you have 1GB or less you will need to use a swap file, which will slow things down. 2GB dual channel is probably optimal for BF2.

Don't overclock a P4, they run so hot anyway that's just asking for trouble. Anyway overclocking P4s doesn't increase performance much as they run at high clock speeds with inefficient pipelines so bumping up the clock frequency a bit isn't going to help you.

Get a new graphics card. Provided your MB is PCI-e compatible. You don't want to be buying an AGP card when they're being phased out so quickly. Graphics cards are always going to improve performance the most. You won't be able to get anything decent in your budget though.

If I were going for an upgrade under $125, I'd get a new hard disk. Might help your load speeds. It'd be good for other stuff apart from gaming. I've been very pleased with the perfomance of the Samsung Spinpoints lately. Don't get Raptors, they aren't worth the money and they're noisy as fuck.

Why are you running 1.5GB memory? Don't you have a dual channel MB? You want dual channel memory if you want fast gameplay.
High Spirit
+5|6587|Canada, Eh?

$eXXXyCabbage wrote:

What woukd be some good physical upgrades i could do to my computer to make it faster and better.   Ihave a ATI radeon 9550, sound blaster audigy 4, 1.5 gigs of RAM, Intel Pentium 4 proc 2.40 ghz, and about 250 gig hard drive space.     what would be some reasonably cheap(under $125.00) to really help computer.     i would mainly like to get my processer speed up.
Get a better video card... 9550 is a value chip...
Dieselboy
Flicker of beans since 1986
+87|6566|Reading, Basingrad

vpyroman wrote:

Even if you found a P4 chip that is less that $125, most P4 chips change socket size like i change underwear
About every 12 months then

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard