jamesb
Joined BF2s in November 2005
+133|6741|Doncaster, England

A_Richmofo wrote:

Ok but that only takes headphones. What would I gain w/ a mic?
You might find someone you really get on with.

What if you get invited on a clans TS because they like you ?

You may even improve your scores if you play with the right people.
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6563|Doncaster, UK

Teflon.DEP wrote:

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

If you don't appreciate why being able to say a communique is better than having to type it then voip isn't going to help you as you probably don't communicate enough for it to make a difference.

For what they cost, buy one, download TS or vent, get on a server where a good team is all communicating and then if you still feel it is having no benefit to your game write the expenditure off to experience and carrying on muting.
I do you idiot, when its used correctly....but in pubs it never is. People use it to chat with there buddy about what they ate last night or what there doing tommrow with there girl friend. I have tryed it out and it was pretty much useless.

If your not in a clan then theres no point in wasteing the $. Because nobody uses the VOIP in BF2 "tactically". And if you are in a clan why the **** are you useing VOIP, use TS or vent...vent >L TS in my opinion. TS is garbage with tis 29.5 transfer BS!

And you should be playing not typeing or talking. If your smart enough communication isnt always neccasary, use that brain god gave you to learn how to make smart choices.
Yeah, was that aimed at you? Did I quote you? I think you'll find the answer to both of those questions is "no".

I didn't ask for your opinion, I was providing the OP with some information, not flaming you which it appears is something that comes all too easy to your good self.

Perhaps the reason that people don't use headsets as much as they should is because of people like you telling them they are wasting their time unless they are in a clan. I'm not in a clan, but I use a headset all the time.

But thanks for your intelligent response, specifically calling me an idiot, and I'm sure the OP is now more than happy with all the informative posts he has received to his initial question.

@Pavil, unfortunately no there is no way of separating the sounds stream to give you the voices to your headset but the remaining sound to your speakers. It's one, the other, or both (with an adapter) I'm afraid.
dalmar72
+6|6537
I have a pretty good set of speaker the logitech z-680's which I use for every game I play except BF2  whe playing I rely totaly on my sennheiser pc160sk headset.  Sometimes it takes awhile to find a server and squad that is using voip, but when you do your squad can really rack up the points and it is the best way to play.  you can plan your attacks and strategize flanking  and directions of attack, where to attack next.  If your SL and you get killed you can tell that noob AT guy to grab your medic kit and revive you.  Tell your teamates about the tank that just blew your face off and to spawn as an appropriate kit etc.  Without a headset you just aren't playing the game to it's potential. just my 2 cents
theknuck
It's pronounced Knuck, like in Knuckle!!
+45|6629|balls
headset mike pwns a stuoid standing mic (which i had), hands free.  headset also handy in those wee hours in the morning when your baby/wife/momy and daddy are trying to sleep!!!!
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6753|Salt Lake City

Well, I don't play in pubs, and 99.9% of the VOIP that goes on when I am playing are proper/tactical use of the VOIP.  I would definitely say to get a headset with mic.
Mad Ad
+178|6528|England, UK
one day youll be in a situation and say 'damn I really wish I had a headset right now' so just get one anyway

I much prefer to join a squad thats chatting (I wish there was a way to tell without going through one by one) not that i say much, usually words like 'stop dood' when im trying to pin a medic bag on someone, just its another option on the battlefield, if it gets me just one more kill/revive etc then id rather have it than not.
a fly
+105|6661|The netherlands
not reading everything.....

yesterday i was in a voip server. i had a plane, in kubra, the squad was using tanks/cars.

i was constandly saying what the enemy was doing, they where happy with it. they also warned me for things.

it prevented the enemy from capping flags back. how many squads do that without spotting, orders, commander and voip (Includes teamspeak)? i have seen none.
E1_ned
+8|6511|netherlands
totally worth it....

even if you're not in a clan you can create a squad and ask the commander to point out the enemy when he/she scans the bf. that way he can tell u if there are enemy there when u take a flag.

or join a squad. i think its always nice to speak to others. let them know if there is enemy or just for fun.

its easier to hear where the chopper of others come from

even better... don't piss off your neighbors with loud arti (or parents) ( if u are still living with ur parents)

totally worth every dime !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just bought myself a new one today..... it strangely enough is also is a nice chew toy for my dog
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6788|PNW

It's worth it. I use some pretty expensive headphones, but they have no mic. To compensate for this, I wear a cheap $9 headset underneath them. That is to say, the ears are above the headphone padding, and the mic can still reach my face.

Telling your squad in BF2 that there's an enemy tank around the warehouse building is much quicker and less riskier than standing around typing it.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-09-09 02:58:18)

saltypeanuts
+1|6800|The Valley of the Sun
Headset is definitely worth it.  I use a Sennheiser pc150 couple that with an X-fi sound card and you have a great combination.  The X-fi card gives your headset virtual surround sound even though it only has two channels of sound.  I'm able to here the direction of enemy footsteps and plan tactics accordingly.
beerface702
+65|6710|las vegas
i use it sometimes in pubs. and when your in a clan of course you need one for vent or ts. any clan worth it's salt doesnt use in game voip.

sadly the  headset OUT on my audigy 4 is fubar. so i cant hear shit out of the headset.

my sound system is really good though. so i can hear footsteps etc.

no big deal

im not a big headset guy anyway. they distract me. i know what the other team is doing usually and dont need to chat. plus i hate headphones on my head. so i barely use it...fuc it

Last edited by beerface702 (2006-09-11 02:04:16)

sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6692|Planet Seibertron ;)
PROS:
* Communicate better - you can tell your teammates where enemies are, what your plan is, or if you need assistance.
* Requires one or two keys - visualize what is faster in communication, typing out where the enemies are or saying it in nice details?  Refer to first point.
* Hear better - while surround sound will enable you to immerse yourself into the game, a headset can sometimes help you hear the faint footsteps coming up from the distance.  A closed headset will also help cancel out some of the outside ambient noise which may improve on hearing vehicles, soldiers, or arties.

CONS:
* Audio spam - like others mentioned, you might get those who do not exactly use the voice comms properly.
* Bad configuration - in somewhat relation to the above point, some people have their mic settings configured badly and may emit horrible audio distortion while talking.
* Lack of usage - Using the in-game voice comm is a double-edged sword... it helps but at the same time hardly anyone uses it.  Those who do use a form of voice communication system are those who are already in a clan with such a system already in place (TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, et al).  As a result, people hardly use the in-game voice comms to communicate with others.

The decision is yours... but it's a recommendation from me to get one regardless of the faults.  Even if you are not a member of a clan/team, you can always try to communicate to your teammate even if it falls on deaf ears.  Who knows?  Sometimes saying something via voice comms can be the one thing that holds your teammates or squadmates together to keep the rest of the team from losing the round.
Stealth_Bain
+19|6514|England, United Kingdom

TeK||drake666 wrote:

is say headphones keep ur mind directed to the game! ur more concentrated!
so headphones FTW....
mic and VOIP is cool when ur a teamplayer....
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6676|BC, Canada
definaltly worth it
Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6661|Ohio
why would a rich mofo have trouble bying a headset?
Cowbell_Kevin
+8|6561
There are a couple 5.1 surround headsets out there as well.  I bought the Turtle Beach Ear Force HPA (~$80 US).  You get decent sound out of it and get true surround out of it.  The person a while ago is greatly mistaken when he said that the simulated surround was ok.  You cannot tell where shots are coming from with a regular set of headphones.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6738|Sydney, Australia
Many people whine about a sense of realism. Ya know - all the nerfing thats gone on with the patches . What could be more realistic that typing... using a headset and microphone to communicate!

Most of the time you may find your squad (if full) as a few other people with Headsets (w/ mic's). You are able to coordinate your teamwork very efficiently.

Imagine you are squad leader. You are going a tank spots you. You notice a squad member has died. If you type out "_______ Come as AT, there's a tank!!!11!", your team member won't see the message. (The kit selection screen is covering it).

But, if you hold down the magical B button, and yell "Spawn on me as AT, there's a friggin tank", you team mate is more likely to come. They can actually hear the message, instead of relying on reading it.

The real fun of VoiP comes when you are in a squad that has people doing various things.

For example, I was playing Wake (as the US) when my squad had:
- 2 F-35's
- the Cobra
- the Blackhawk

We co-ordinated our efforts. The Cobra destroyed the stingers and told the Blackhawk that it was free to enter. Me and and another squad member circled above the battlefield. The Cobra pilot spotted an enemy tank - calling one of us to take it out.

By using VoiP, we effectively communicated and thus were able to pull off a quick win.

Oh, and if you plan on getting BF2142, your headset and mic will continue to be used.

Sorry if it seemed like an essay... (I'm still in 'essay mode' from todays English Exam )

Mcminty.
Disodium
+13|6530|Sydney

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

It's not just worth it, I'd say it was mandatory to a total BF2 experience.
As above,
There is a reason they put in the mute button.. its for the smart people that realise they can MUTE someone rather then 'Disable' 20+% of the gaming experience...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard